Why did no one help Gandalf up?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
When Gandal was on the edge in Moria, the whole Fellowship (ecept Frodo who tried to save him, but was held back) just stood back. What I wonder is why didn't they help him up? Why did they just stand their & let him fall?

Lestov16
Because the orc army was hot on their trail and they had to haul ass

COG Veteran
I'd guess because arrows were starting to rain everywhere, and that bridge prolly wasn't to stable after that little fight which broke most of it.

Lord Lucien
There is no good reason.

It's one of the Dumbest Lord of the Rings Moments.

the ninjak
Because it was a freaking Balrog!

What could the Fellowship do?
Gandalf was handling the situation just fine plus the heroes were being assaulted by goblin archers.

Omega Vision
The way it's presented in the movie it seems like one of the Fellowship could have helped him up. The Balrog's whip clearly was no longer attached to his ankle and the goblin arrows were landing well short of threatening anyone. My theory is that Gandalf pushed himself off because he knew that the Balrog had to be killed.

Lord Lucien
Doesn't explain why none of the other Fellowship (besides Frodo) tried to rush forward to help him. Even out of knee-jerk instinct. They all just stood there. If the archers were a threat they would take cover, but they literally stood there out in the open and watched Gandalf struggling to hold on.

I love nitpicking.

Nibedicus
Gandalf: Fly, you fools!
Fellowship runs away.
Gandalf: I meant towards me, you idiots!

Lord Lucien
I wonder if he really threw himself off to go after the Balrog. Maybe he was trying to demonstrate how to fly.

Vensai
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I wonder if he really threw himself off to go after the Balrog. Maybe he was trying to demonstrate how to fly.
Possibly. The Balrog, if capable of flight, could have flown back up if there was no interference.

Allankles
Drama? Alternatively, with Balrogs being masters of the dark arts, Gandalf was being dragged down by the Balrog's invisible powers. That or Gandalf had been made feeble by some strange magic of the Balrog, whO were always noted as the embodiment of the idea of fear in LOTR.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.