How powerful is Magneto ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supermex
How powerful is Magneto?
Where you got him on the Marvel food chain?
What all can he do?
How does he matchup Vs Marvel Earths best heroes/villians?

Also, so that nobody got mad at mesmile il put Mags in a fight.
Between 2 of my favorite characters. .

Magneto

Vs

G.L Stewart

Who wins?
No prep..

Digi
On raw power, Stewart. Mags can take wins because of specific matchup-related powers.

Mags is low herald to mid herald, depending on writer and/or power level. Stewart isn't a terrible matchup for him, though personally I think Mags is in trouble.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Digi
On raw power, Stewart. Mags can take wins because of specific matchup-related powers.

Mags is low herald to mid herald, depending on writer and/or power level. Stewart isn't a terrible matchup for him, though personally I think Mags is in trouble.

Really? Are you talking about the same Magneto that has been depicted at his powerful ever on the Extinction Team? He's a mid to high herald now if he hasn't had a power down. Complete beast power wise. I don't see John having the necessary defenses against him. Has this feat been forgot already?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/almightykfish/MagnetoBullet2.jpg

Supermex
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Really? Are you talking about the same Magneto that has been depicted at his powerful ever on the Extinction Team? He's a mid to high herald now if he hasn't had a power down. Complete beast power wise. I don't see John having the necessary defenses against him. Has this feat been forgot already?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z259/almightykfish/MagnetoBullet2.jpg

So do you think Mags beat just John or even Hal with the level you feel him at?

Digi
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet

Yes, good feats are good. No objections there.

Raw power, John takes it. Forum fight, slight edge to Mags due to some trickery that could inhibit John.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Supermex
So do you think Mags beat just John or even Hal with the level you feel him at?

I mean, it's all in whether or not this level is sustained, which is probably isn't, but right now at the moment, the GLs could only win with a super high end showing which include time travel and fuzzy crap like that. If it's just an energy construct vs EP battle, I'd go with current Magneto. The GL's achilles heal is their lack of a formidable defense. I don't see anything they could do if Magento is serious about stopping their blood flow or better yet sucking the iron from their blood through their skin with a wave. Hell, the old fart version in the X-Men movie did that.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Digi
Yes, good feats are good. No objections there.

Raw power, John takes it. Forum fight, slight edge to Mags due to some trickery that could inhibit John.

He wouldn't need trickery. It would just be a matter of whether or not he was in kill mode IMO. He can through so much crap at him while maintaining his shields, which are some of the best off all time in comics. Also, Mags is the BEST at this craft in comics in terms of mastery and I don't think that Stewart is regarded in that manner in his. Someone like Hal is a better match.

golem370
The worlds largest iron depost which in Canada had 4 billion tons of iron that just one depost and that just iron.

Flyattractor
Didn't there used to be some kind of stipulation on Maggy that his power depended on how much energy he chould channel thru his body and the limits it could stand before it would burn out?

srankmissingnin
Electromagnetism is what holds the bonds of matter together, theoretically he should be able to scatter the atoms of any character with a physical body to the winds with a thought.

Kazenji
Couldn't mags destroy the planet if he wanted it?

with all that iron in the Earth's core.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Kazenji
Couldn't mags destroy the planet if he wanted it?

with all that iron in the Earth's core.

Magnetic has several options if he want to destroy the earth. He could stop the earth's rotation on it's axis. He could pull the moon from orbit and crash it into the earth's surface. He could rip apart the magnetic shielding that protects the earth from cosmic radiation.

Bentley
Powerful enough to be beheaded by Cyclops and Wolverine.

curryman
High herald Magneto, no.

He can hang because of power-specific matchups, like Digi said.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Magnetic has several options if he want to destroy the earth. He could stop the earth's rotation on it's axis. He could pull the moon from orbit and crash it into the earth's surface. He could rip apart the magnetic shielding that protects the earth from cosmic radiation. And yet he still gets punked by Dr.Doom.

Zack Fair
Doom is supreme.

carver9
Magneto is High Herald. Low to Mid Herald is taking a lot of credit from the guy.

CosmicComet
Magneto is a dirty ass mutant.

He's garbage tier.

mighty adam
Mags is powerful but no John beats him. Mags cant crash moons, cant stop shit on earth. not rotation or drop its shield. Mags needed a machine for a massive emp lol. John all most recreated a planet but will power exceeded ring capability... Shit that alone puts John as top 3 GL period. Mags gets beat bad.

Bentley
Originally posted by carver9
Magneto is High Herald. Low to Mid Herald is taking a lot of credit from the guy.

Carver just... Geez.

TheLordofMurder
Electromagnetism is what holds the bonds of matter together, theoretically he should be able to scatter the atoms of any character with a physical body to the winds with a thought.

No...

and

Hell no!

Electromagnetism is what holds the bonds of matter together!?

Dude...if you really think this, you are going to fail at physics.

And hell no...having power over magnetism will NOT allow him to scatter atoms...not at all...not even close.

The Strong Force says hi...

Magnon
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
No...

and

Hell no!

And hell no...having power over magnetism will NOT allow him to scatter atoms...not at all...not even close.

Electromagnetism IS what holds atoms and molecules together: the electrically negative electrons and positive nuclei attract each other (Coulomb's Law etc.). Strong force has nothing to do with it, it is what keeps quarks together in protons etc.

golem370
Magneto should be able to move the planet.

Wei Phoenix
No...

and

Hell no!

Silly American.

abhilegend
Magnetic has several options if he want to destroy the earth. He could stop the earth's rotation on it's axis. He could pull the moon from orbit and crash it into the earth's surface. He could rip apart the magnetic shielding that protects the earth from cosmic radiation.
At his most powerful, magneto is continental level at best. At his worst he can't even lift a subway. He is not destroying earth, Joseph got atomized when he tried to take control of earth's EM field and he was more powerful than magneto.

abhilegend
Get real life science crap outta here.

Digi
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Magneto is a dirty ass mutant.

He's garbage tier.

thumb up

carver9
Originally posted by abhilegend
At his most powerful, magneto is continental level at best. At his worst he can't even lift a subway. He is not destroying earth, Joseph got atomized when he tried to take control of earth's EM field and he was more powerful than magneto.

He was weakened during the subway showing. Just want to throw that out there.

abhilegend
He was weakened during the subway showing. Just want to throw that out there.
He wasn't.

carver9
He wasn't.

Yes he was.

Magnon

Sorry if you feel allergic towards science. However, if someone posts obvious misconceptions about science, I will correct them.

On topic: At full power, Magneto is "high herald". His force field has withstood the combined power of Thor and She-Hulk without much effort. He has fought Thor evenly, and defeated Apocalypse. He has created planet-wide electromagnetic pulses which have destroyed almost all electronic devices on Earth. Etc etc.

abhilegend
Yes he was.
Nope.Originally posted by Magnon
Sorry if you feel allergic towards science. However, if someone posts obvious misconceptions about science, I will correct them.

On topic: At full power, Magneto is "high herald". His force field has withstood the combined power of Thor and She-Hulk without much effort. He has fought Thor evenly, and defeated Apocalypse. He has created planet-wide electromagnetic pulses which have destroyed almost all electronic devices on Earth. Etc etc.
I was joking.

If we place high heralds on a few high end feats, nearly everybody in herald tier would be high herald.

iceman24567
He wasn't. His powers were unstable

Magnon

If we place high heralds on a few high end feats, nearly everybody in herald tier would be high herald.

Magneto's power fluctuates, that's why I said full power. When he is in peak physical shape his powers also function at full power. That is when he *constantly* performs at high-herald/team-buster level. It's not just some occasional high-end feats. But I agree that *currently* he is not quite high-herald.

srankmissingnin
No...

and

Hell no!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the United States' education system at work.

TheGodKiller
^Which is still good enough by most standards.
Says the guy who emails physics professors with battleboard-centric questions. laughing out loud
No...

and

Hell no!

The highest scale at which Strong Force operates is the nuclear level. Which is barely a couple of femtometers.

Philosophía
The correct answer: more powerful than your favorite hero, unless it's Superman.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Bentley
This is the right answer.

Wei Phoenix

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Magnon
Electromagnetism IS what holds atoms and molecules together: the electrically negative electrons and positive nuclei attract each other (Coulomb's Law etc.). Strong force has nothing to do with it, it is what keeps quarks together in protons etc.

No...

Over 99.999% of an atoms mass in contained in the nucleus and that nucleus is held together by the strong force...

Electromagnetism keeps that electrons in orbit, but thats about it...

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley

thumb up

==

Seriously though, I'd pick Stewart to win, personally. Feats like the bullet are high outliers, not the standard.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by TheGodKiller

Says the guy who emails physics professors with battleboard-centric questions. laughing out loud

The highest scale at which Strong Force operates is the nuclear level. Which is barely a couple of femtometers.

Thats far enough to hold an atomic nucleus together though...isnt it?

ares834

Yes, it is. But it's not what bonds atoms together.

janus77
Magneto's almost as poweful as Uri Geller!

Philosophía
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
You're my favorite hero. https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1356/86/1356868090848.gif

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by ares834
Yes, it is. But it's not what bonds atoms together.

It absolutely is...

Now note, I am talking about the structure of a single atom; not ionic bonds between multiple atoms...

At the scale of a single atom, the electromagnetic force keeps the electrons in orbit, while the strong force glues together the nucleus...

That, gentlemen, is 100% correct...

janus77
It absolutely is...

Now note, I am talking about the structure of a single atom; not ionic bonds between multiple atoms...

At the scale of a single atom, the electromagnetic force keeps the electrons in orbit, while the strong force glues together the nucleus...

That physics stuff, it's science innit?
I don't believe in science.

If science was real we'd all be travelling in flying cars and going back in time to screw Marty's mother...

ares834
It absolutely is...

Sure, but you refuted Srank's post where he said bonds, obviously he is talking about shit like ionic and covalent bonds, are held together by electromagnetism... And he was right.

TheLordofMurder
Sure, but you refuted Srank's post where he said bonds, obviously he is talking about shit like ionic and covalent bonds, are held together by electromagnetism... And he was right.

No...

He said that electromagnetism bonds matter together; that is false...

Almost all of an atoms mass is in the nucleus and that nucleus is held together by the strong force; his statement is false as a result...

TheLordofMurder
Look at elements with complete outer valence shells; no ionic bonds needed...

What holds them together?

Hint...it sure as hell aint the electromagnetic force...

ares834
lol

It does bond matter together... It might not be the only force involved, but it does. The fact that he specifically used the word "bond" and then mentions atoms scattering makes it clear what he was talking about.

srankmissingnin
lol

It does bond matter together... It might not be the only force involved, but it does. The fact that he specifically used the word "bond" and then mentions atoms scattering makes it clear what he was talking about.

I thought I was being pretty clear... I guess not though. /shrug

abhilegend
Originally posted by iceman24567
His powers were unstable
That doesn't mean he was any less powerful than normal.Originally posted by Magnon
Magneto's power fluctuates, that's why I said full power. When he is in peak physical shape his powers also function at full power. That is when he *constantly* performs at high-herald/team-buster level. It's not just some occasional high-end feats. But I agree that *currently* he is not quite high-herald.
Even at full power he isn't a high herald.Originally posted by TheGodKiller

The highest scale at which Strong Force operates is the nuclear level. Which is barely a couple of femtometers. Originally posted by abhilegend
Nope.
I was joking.

TheGodKiller
You do know how small the nucleus is compared to the whole atom, don't you?

Magnon
Originally posted by Magnon
No...

Over 99.999% of an atoms mass in contained in the nucleus and that nucleus is held together by the strong force...

Electromagnetism keeps that electrons in orbit, but thats about it...

The discussion was about scattering atoms. Since the bonds between atoms are electromagnetic in nature, your reply to srank was unambiguously wrong and had to be corrected. Electromagnetism binds atoms together, in the form of covalent, ionic or metallic bonds (or intermolecular forces), and a sufficiently powerful control over electromagnetism would indeed allow one to scatter those atoms apart.

Strong force binds quarks into protons and neutrons and, further, binds those particles together to form atomic nuclei. But you don't have to break the nuclei apart in order to break the bonds between atoms and scatter them.

However, if you want to break the nuclei themselves that can also be arranged through the control of electromagnetism. The reason for radioactive decay of nuclei is that the electromagnetic repulsion between the positively charged protons overcomes the strong nuclear force trying to keep the nucleus together.

TheLordofMurder
You do know how small the nucleus is compared to the whole atom, don't you?

The size of the atom as a whole doesnt matter as the spaces between electron orbits are just that; empty space...

Over 99.999% of the atoms mass is in that tiny nucleus so thats what matters the most...

wolverinos
he is not that powerful when there arent any metals around now isnt he??? ha??

nikfang
The size of the atom as a whole doesnt matter as the spaces between electron orbits are just that; empty space...

Over 99.999% of the atoms mass is in that tiny nucleus so thats what matters the most...
But if you take away the electrons the Atom will become unstable.

TheGodKiller

Yup, scattering atoms is clearly mass manipulation.

Gtfo here with your purposeful misinterpretation of srank's theoretical hyperbole.

TheLordofMurder
Yup, scattering atoms is clearly mass manipulation.

Gtfo here with your purposeful misinterpretation of srank's theoretical hyperbole.

Dude, you dont even know what you are talking about; there is no "purposeful" misinterpretation of sranks statement...

He stated that electromagnetism bonds matter together; this is false...no if's, and's, or but's about it.

TheLordofMurder
@TheGodKiller

Lets end this foolish debate; go to google and type in "which force binds matter together?"

And look at the very 1st answer; you are going to get the strong interaction...in other words, the strong force.

So please stop arguing with me over something I am clearly right about...ok?

Happy Dance

TheGodKiller
Dude, you dont even know what you are talking about; there is no "purposeful" misinterpretation of sranks statement...

He stated that electromagnetism bonds matter together; this is false...no if's, and's, or but's about it.
Yeah, you just confirmed that you're intentionally taking his words out of context.

TheLordofMurder
@TheGodKiller

Lets end this foolish debate; go to google and type in "which force binds matter together?"

And look at the very 1st answer; you are going to get the strong interaction...in other words, the strong force.

So please stop arguing with me over something I am clearly right about...ok?

Happy Dance

thumb up

TheGodKiller
^And there comes the predictable dancing banana and self-thumbs ups.

At this point, this routine of yours has become KMC's most boring cliche.

Originally posted by Supermex
How powerful is Magneto? Very.
Upper crust mid herald eventually punching above his weight class.
He's extremely versatile and excells in both mass manipulation of mass and energy, and fine control over them. Superb multitasker as well. Excellent shields.

He's certainly below Thor and SS, but could give Thor a fight. He'd beat Black Bolt IMO.

Magneto. I do not consider stewart very big deal.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.