Marvel Earth Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supermex
This is a 2 part question..

1. To Marvel Earth, who is there Superman?
To the whole planet its self..

2. To the U.S.A in Marvel Earth, Who is there Superman?

ares834
Depends on what you mean by "who is there Superman?".

Thor is Marvel's "Superman" when it comes to power.

But Captain America is Marvel's "Superman" when it comes to personality and being a symbol.

Supermex
Originally posted by ares834

But Captain America is Marvel's "Superman" when it comes to personality and being a symbol.

Ya that's what I ment..
Someone powerful like superman that Marvel Earth looks at to save them from threats of mass destruction..
Is Thor then Earths mighties hero?

pym-ftw
Yup

quanchi112
Marvel tends to showcase many characters as the marvel universe is more terrifying. Dc it is or was pre reboot a three person show whereas in marvel its a lot more.

Shabazz916
hulk is marvel earth superman... thor isnt from earth..

janus77
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Hulk is nothing like Superman in personality or public image.

And he's much more ferocious (when properly riled) than Superman. Though he "never kills", which is more in keeping with Superman's ethics than Thor's attitude is.

I'd say there is no real "superman role" in the Marvel Universe. It's more 'realistic' and gritty, such a characterless ... character, wouldn't work.

Supermex
Originally posted by janus77
Hulk is nothing like Superman in personality or public image.

And he's much more ferocious (when properly riled) than Superman. Though he "never kills", which is more in keeping with Superman's ethics than Thor's attitude is.

I'd say there is no real "superman role" in the Marvel Universe. It's more 'realistic' and gritty, such a characterless ... character, wouldn't work.

Kool kool..

Ok so Thor is not from Earth and there's asgard..

So I'm asking everyone, who would you pick as Marvel Earth's born hero.
Like I see Iron Man as that guy maybe

carver9
Originally posted by Supermex
This is a 2 part question..

1. To Marvel Earth, who is there Superman?
To the whole planet its self..

2. To the U.S.A in Marvel Earth, Who is there Superman?

Spiderman (just as powerful)
Captain America
Jubilee (except shes cooler)

Golgo13

Pretty much this.

ares834
Kool kool..

Ok so Thor is not from Earth and there's asgard..

So I'm asking everyone, who would you pick as Marvel Earth's born hero.
Like I see Iron Man as that guy maybe

Superman isn't from Earth either...

pym-ftw
The Fan. 4 are probably all around the answer to this thread

As far as the identification of Superman with the USA and of both with "good" is concerned, Captain America is marvel's superman. In all other regards, marvel has no equivalent.

Odekahn
Originally posted by 753
As far as the identification of Superman with the USA and of both with "good" is concerned, Captain America is marvel's superman. In all other regards, marvel has no equivalent.

This is correct.

Mindship
I would say in terms of symbol, Captain America. When I think the "strongest heroes" in DC and Marvel, I think Superman and Hulk. But yeah, there really isn't a Superman counterpart. In terms of a "hero's hero," Cap might be closest.

Thor is probably closest to Superman in terms of overall power with multiple abilities.

quab
Thor or Captain America are "closest" to Kal. But then there's something special to Superman that neither has.

quanchi112
Originally posted by quab
Thor or Captain America are "closest" to Kal. But then there's something special to Superman that neither has. laughing out loud

Golgo13
Originally posted by 753

Hyperion? stick out tongue

CosmicComet
Originally posted by quanchi112
laughing out loud

Why do you laugh?

Superman has to be the most recognizable fictional character in the world. Maybe Santa Claus can compete with him or beat him, but that's pretty much it.

Hell next to the Christian cross itself, the Superman shield is the most recognizable symbol in the world. Neither Cap or Thor come close to that.

Though Cap comes a lot closer.

xJLxKing
Marvel doesn't have a Superman. They have superheroes that share special characteristics that Superman has.

With that said, Thor comes as close to Superman as one canbe but he has his own characteristics which make him unique

Zack Fair
Originally posted by CosmicComet
Why do you laugh?

Superman has to be the most recognizable fictional character in the world. Maybe Santa Claus can compete with him or beat him, but that's pretty much it.

Hell next to the Christian cross itself, the Superman shield is the most recognizable symbol in the world. Neither Cap or Thor come close to that.

Though Cap comes a lot closer. Its a Quan thing.

abhilegend
Originally posted by carver9
Spiderman (just as powerful)
Captain America
Jubilee (except shes cooler)
Carter has finally snapped.

8swords

I agree with the cap being the symbol, but how come most post say its thor powerwise?and isnt thor for asgard?

oh and sentry when it comes to powers,

Zack Fair
Thor has been around much longer than Sentry and Thor has a bazillions showings of him using mjolnir to do stupidly ridiculous shit. Thor has also been the powerhouse of Avengers for years...if that counts.

I'd give Hulk the nod over Sentry, and Hulk's limited powerset kind of neuters him IMHO.

When Sentry was around he was mostly just a joke.

Supermex
Olk so the majority thinks Thor is the closest power wise and ThatvCap.Americais Symbol wise..

Lets Thor don't count cus he's from Asgard and spends time there and Cap.America is not powerful enough to save the world on his own or fast enough to help the world..

Who would pick has the most potential to be that Superman type hero in cerrent Marvel.. The Earth born hero, its last Defender, the Earth standing son..
Worshiped by most all world wide?

8swords
still going with sentry, might be a joke at times but the OP did say who's marvel earth's supes,

just asking out of curiosity, did they make sentry "power of a million exploding suns" to reference supes in any way?

Supermex
Originally posted by 8swords
still going with sentry, might be a joke at times but the OP did say who's marvel earth's supes,

just asking out of curiosity, did they make sentry "power of a million exploding suns" to reference supes in any way?

But Sentrys currently dead right?
And alittle crazy maybesmile

Originally posted by CosmicComet
Why do you laugh?

Though Cap comes a lot closer. most of that simply isnt true. he is probably the best known comic book character, however.

Originally posted by 8swords

just asking out of curiosity, did they make sentry "power of a million exploding suns" to reference supes in any way? everything about sentry is a reference to superman

-Pr-
lol @ marvel being grittier and more realistic.

8swords
But Sentrys currently dead right?
And alittle crazy maybesmile

hes alive~ish, i think

I'm saying that he is the marvel earth's supes powerwise, not mentally,

Rage.Of.Olympus
Marvel Earth doesn't have a Superman. The entire Universe is fundamentally different to the point that there isn't a place for the type of figure head for Marvel that Superman is imo. I guess Thor/Hulk fill that fundamental power house status that Superman has in DC and Captain America is the inspirational symbol.

Look at the New 52. Superman has such an attitude and is a bit of a punk tbh (A lot more similar to Hyperion then the previous incarnation) and he still seems to be incredibly revered (Granted, I'm not reading all the titles).

-Pr-
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Marvel Earth doesn't have a Superman. The entire Universe is fundamentally different to the point that there isn't a place for the type of figure head for Marvel that Superman is imo. I guess Thor/Hulk fill that fundamental power house status that Superman has in DC and Captain America is the inspirational symbol.

Look at the New 52. Superman has such an attitude and is a bit of a punk tbh (A lot more similar to Hyperion then the previous incarnation) and he still seems to be incredibly revered (Granted, I'm not reading all the titles).

Action Comics explains why, for the most part.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by -Pr-
Action Comics explains why, for the most part.

I read most of the issues up until the Mxy arc with that fake Doomsday but care to refresh my memory? Anything in particular that would make him stand out? He saves the day when Mxy connects his mind with everyone else with hope or whatever which is cool I guess.

-Pr-
I read most of the issues up until the Mxy arc with that fake Doomsday but care to refresh my memory? Anything in particular that would make him stand out? He saves the day when Mxy connects his mind with everyone else with hope or whatever which is cool I guess.

The Brainiac stuff is the big, major part of it. Then, him being part of the Justice League when they fought off Darkseid, with him right at the forefront. We're supposed to believe that in those five years, possible personality issues aside, Superman has been going around being, well, Superman, saving people and such.

Rage.Of.Olympus
The Brainiac stuff is the big, major part of it. Then, him being part of the Justice League when they fought off Darkseid, with him right at the forefront. We're supposed to believe that in those five years, possible personality issues aside, Superman has been going around being, well, Superman, saving people and such.

Don't remember much from the Brainiac arc, maybe I missed some issues. What did he do?

That's cool and would make him a prominent hero but it's not exactly mind blowing stuff. It's almost standard superhero fare for big boys like Thor/Superman.

He's so revered because he's Superman and that's how DC comics work at this point. This incarnation doesn't even have the same inspirational qualities like the old Superman had. At Marvel, he'd become prominent but he'd still just be another flying brick.

I am extremely curious as to how someone like Thor would work in DC though. The Universe is built a lot more on the foundation of hero worship.

Zack Fair
Don't remember much from the Brainiac arc, maybe I missed some issues. What did he do?

That's cool and would make him a prominent hero but it's not exactly mind blowing stuff. It's almost standard superhero fare for big boys like Thor/Superman.

He's so revered because he's Superman and that's how DC comics work at this point. This incarnation doesn't even have the same inspirational qualities like the old Superman had. At Marvel, he'd become prominent but he'd still just be another flying brick.

I am extremely curious as to how someone like Thor would work in DC though. The Universe is built a lot more on the foundation of hero worship. He was the first hero who showed up and he did save mankind, so he gets the "inspiration, savior" part.

Keep in mind DC New 52 is a relatively new universe.

Thor in DC would be very cool if treated right.

-Pr-

I am extremely curious as to how someone like Thor would work in DC though. The Universe is built a lot more on the foundation of hero worship.

Fought through Brainiac's ship and restored Metropolis from bottle-state, got the key to the city etc.

I honestly don't agree. He might have a more turbulent personal life, but he's still Superman, and is still seen as their greatest hero because he works for it.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Zack Fair
He basically saved mankind and he was the first hero who showed up, so he gets the "inspiration, role model" part.

Keep in mind DC New 52 is a relatively new universe.

I really don't see the inspirational role model part from this Superman tbh. Maybe I haven't read the relevant stories but the only time I saw a glimpse of the old Superman was in the Mxy mind link scene.

Honestly, the Sentry pretty much killed the idea that Marvel could have a Superman the same way DC does.

Zack Fair
Inspiration to the heroes was more what I had in mind.

Sentry is stupid.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Fought through Brainiac's ship and restored Metropolis from bottle-state, got the key to the city etc.

I honestly don't agree. He might have a more turbulent personal life, but he's still Superman, and is still seen as their greatest hero because he works for it.

Yeah, that's not really very impressive to me. Unless that was the first time ever in the New 52 that a hero did anything on that level or something and it stood out.

I don't see it. Too much attitude and I really don't see the inspirational part tbh.

ares834
He only "has too much attitude" during the beginning of Action Comics.

And yeah, that was the first time something like that happened in DC's modern world.

Zack Fair
thumb up

Superman is more aggressive this time around, but its not like he is a complete and utter bully.

He is just not that big of a boyscout yet.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Didn't he heat vision the tablets of rival reporters in the last Action Comics at a conference? Not the first time I've seen him use his powers like that.

He definitely has bullish qualities and is not afraid to put someone in their place because he's more powerful. That however is not something I'm fond of. Might doesn't make right. Maybe I'm too old fashioned but I always liked the fact that Superman being the greatest hero wasn't because of how much he could bench.

I'm also getting tired of their being a new alien every other week who's as powerful or even more powerful then Superman.

Zack Fair
Thats cool.

I like it for now. Not sure I'll like it 10 years from now if it remains a defining quality of him.

Is there anything you like about new 52 Superman at all?

Rage.Of.Olympus
But behavior like that gives a lot more credibility to nut jobs like Lex Luthor. I guess it's interesting and a different take was the intention of this reboot.

Not really. They just took Superman and threw some 90's EXTREME! formula into the mix. Surprised he doesn't have pouches on his costume.

It's cool that he doesn't take shit but the older Superman had no problem with kicking ass or putting people in place when he got mad.

Zack Fair
not even the fancy armored Kryptonian bio-tech suit? sad

Rage.Of.Olympus
That's pretty cool I guess and it makes sense that his costume would evolve with the modern times. Then again, I don't think there was anything wrong with the classic and in retrospect I really like it:
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/149746/3164668-superman.jpg

ares834
Didn't he heat vision the tablets of rival reporters in the last Action Comics at a conference? Not the first time I've seen him use his powers like that.

He definitely has bullish qualities and is not afraid to put someone in their place because he's more powerful. That however is not something I'm fond of. Might doesn't make right. Maybe I'm too old fashioned but I always liked the fact that Superman being the greatest hero wasn't because of how much he could bench.

I'm also getting tired of their being a new alien every other week who's as powerful or even more powerful then Superman.

All of that can be answered with one word: Lobdell.

In pretty much everything else Superman seems to be his normal self, although, perhaps a bit more aggressive.

-Pr-
Yeah, that's not really very impressive to me. Unless that was the first time ever in the New 52 that a hero did anything on that level or something and it stood out.

I don't see it. Too much attitude and I really don't see the inspirational part tbh.

But he was.

You have to remember that this is the same guy Metropolis had been largely suspicious of, vilifying him and treating him like a pariah. Then, from inside the bottle on Brainiac's ship, they actually watch Superman fighting Brainiac, and they see just how willing he is to fight for them, even after what they'd done. At one point, the entire city is cheering for him.

He's a bit snarky, and still hasn't reached the age/maturity that post crisis Superman had, but tbh he's still done plenty to justify being treated as he is, and still does plenty to inspire.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by Shabazz916

Do you think Superman is from Earth?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.