All time SW literary letdowns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
ok people....we've all got our opinions on the books that were bad.
Time to make a list...
my list would have Black Fleet Crisis and Rogue Planet
what books were SW but let you down?

GordonSkywalker
Cloak of Deception, Rogue Planet, Planet of Twilight, the Correllian series,Vector Prime, Dark Tide 1 and 2, and The Approaching Storm. These are my top ten list of SW books that sucked for me. big grin

Julie
Conquest??????(eek)
Splinter of the Mind's Eye

GordonSkywalker
I removed Conquest from my above list and replaced it with The Approaching Storm. embarrasment

Julie
hey this is your opinion...if you don't like Conquest...stick with it....

The Approaching Storm was much better than Rogue Planet...but it wasn't that interesting

GordonSkywalker
I decided I liked it more than The Approaching Storm which I felt had the same basic flaw that plagued Rogue Planet. Two full-length novels attempting to demonstrate Anakin Skywalker's fall to the dark side when his true turning point did not happen until the middle of the last film. They just didn't work for me. big grin

Julie
I see....esp Rogue Planet...Anakin's about 14 in that or something crazy like that.....the Jedi Quest series is so much better suited for studying young Anakin

GordonSkywalker
Agreed. I have only read the first two in that series.

Corran
Splinter of the mids eye & approaching storm.

Julie
not Rogue planet?
What made Approaching storm worse than Rogue Planet?

Corran
No not yet. I may get it sometime in the future

finti
All of them

Julie
all of what.....list them please?

yerssot
rogue planet, crystal star, darksabre (have to check, 'cause I have that one in dutch, not english)

Captain REX
I don't read EU books all that much.

One literary let down is the fact that no one has said anything about me finishing my story.

yerssot
finish the story rex

dunno, haven't gone that far in time to see, I guess

Captain REX
Actually, I finished it last night. Easier than posting at Lance's board.

GordonSkywalker
Rogue Planet sucked big time and to me was a waste of paper. The Aprroaching Storm was a close second.

Captain REX
What were those two about?

Hey Gordon, wanna read my story?

GordonSkywalker
Both were about a younger pre-Clones Anakin being trained by Obi Wan. And yes Rex I would love to read your story!

Julie
Tha Approaching Storm......sprung out of Mace Windu's line "he's just come back from a boarder dispute on ANSION"

GordonSkywalker
Yes I was already aware of that.

Captain REX
She was telling me, Gordon.

It is in the Star Wars Stories... thread, btw. Post in the other one if you have remarks.

GordonSkywalker
All righht. I will look into it.

Captain REX
Goody. Yerssot read it at the other forum I used to go to (owned by a current member here, but he has no internet connection really).

yerssot
he does, he's punished now for letting in a hacker (something he can't be held responsible!)

GordonSkywalker
Sounds horrible. And Rex I am quite impressed with what I have so far read. Keep it up man.

Captain REX
Oh, that sucks.

Thank you Gordon. I think I'll work on my other story tonight. Maybe I'll post a bit of the first chapter.

GordonSkywalker
Most excellent Rex. So what do you guys think of the Star wars novel Planet of Twilight? It is the concluding entry in the so-called Children of the Jedi/Darksaber storyline and is a bit odd for a SW novel.

yerssot
dunno, I'm not sure I have that book, think I do, but in Dutch, should check

Julie
go check!....I'm fairly certain I do not have the book

yerssot
specially for you, I checked, don't have it, rather happy stick out tongue

Captain REX
You have a lot of Dutch books Yerss.

GordonSkywalker
Which book was he talking about earlier?

yerssot
yah, those nasty lil buggers sneak into my house and onto my bookshelves!

GordonSkywalker
Excuse me but which book are you looking for again yerssot?

Captain REX
...a book?

yerssot
all that I don't have wink

Captain REX
laughing

GordonSkywalker
Oh good. Nice to finally know what you guys were on about. Keeping to topic, I was greatly disappointed with The Courtship of Princess Leia and Planet of Twilight. Read both and hate both.

yerssot
sounds like not-want-to-have-those books wink

lemme guess... any superweapons involved?

GordonSkywalker
I can't remember. I read both books several years ago but don't remember any superweopons in either story.

yerssot
one of the few

GordonSkywalker
The superweopon syndrome is what ruined books for me. Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, the Correlian trilogy, and so on. It was at least tolerable in Champions of the Force as the story wasn't solely based around it. big grin

Captain REX
Yep, they should have left the superweapons in the movies.

yerssot
hmmm, I didn't much mind centerpoint though, it was all the wannabe deathstars which were completely rediculous

GordonSkywalker
I hate the so-called Death Star Syndrome. Too many suncrushers, darksabers, etc.

Ushgarak
Darn straight. That and cloned Emperors and returning Boba Fetts pretty much killed off the EU as a going concern for me...

GordonSkywalker
I guess you have seen Dark Empire then Ush? That might be where all these current rumours of Palpatine being a clone in the new films originated.

yerssot
I plan never to read those
I'm glad they started the NJO, if they didn't I would never have read another SW book again

GordonSkywalker
I made the mistake of reading Dark Empire I and II which completely disrupts the idea that Luke Skywalker did destroy the Emperor and never turned to the dark side. Too much overkill with the clones of Palpatine and so forth.

Virus
in my opinion, planet of twilight, the black fleet crisis trilogy and children of the jedi are the biggest letdowns.

GordonSkywalker
I have read all of those and was unimpressed with them all. Especially certain...elements in the Black Fleet storyline.

yerssot
haven't read that one, gonna keep it that way!

GordonSkywalker
You are not missing much except for a few scenes where an old witch tries to seduce Luke Skywalker. Oh and Planet of Twilight was even worse.

Julie
what was that one about...I don't really remember if I read it or not

GordonSkywalker
It was supposed to be the conclusion of the Children of the Jedi/Darksaber story arc.

yerssot
guess there are only a selected few who are worth reading

GordonSkywalker
It is really a matter of personal preferance. I for instance do not like any of the NJO books or the X-Wing novels. I prefer stand alone novels not three or more with a connecting story.

yerssot
of course, missing one and you can't follow

GordonSkywalker
The Crystal Star sucks.

Julie
Does anyone think that Refugee was this bad????

Julie
I believe others have mentioned it.....but Rogue planet definately belongs in thsi category!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yerssot
think it's mentioned on every page now wink

Baylin
I must be a right saddo cos I've enjoyed all the SW books that I've read. sad

yerssot
everyone their taste, of course

Baylin
Hmmm! Well it's been a few years since I last read a SW book so maybe my tastes have improved....

Julie
you should read the NJO....that's a great series...though there are a few in there that are just ok too.....

Baylin
Well funny you should say that, I've looked at a few of the NJO and I had planned to start reading them. Any in particular that you would recommend first?

yerssot
the first one wink

dunno, I started somewhere in the middle and found no trouble following the story

Baylin
Hmmm. Starting at the first one would add some sort of conformity to my life...?

Rogue Jedi
start with vector prime, baylin. then just follow the timeline, one book after the next. its an excellent series.

Baylin
Then that what I'll do! big grin

Rogue Jedi
rogue planet was terrible. so was cloak of deception. best reads? darth maul:shadow hunter, shadows of the empire, the courtship of princess leia, the truce at bakura, the han solo adventures, the corellian trilogy, black fleet trilogy, hand of thrawn trilogy. the new jedi order is also excellent.

lex
i strongly agree rogue planet was bad, not a very interesting story overall and at times confusing to follow.

yerssot
laughing out loud
apperently rogue planet wins hands down messed

Julie
yup.....I'm not sure why it seemed so bad when I last had the misfortune to read it.....Greg Bear is usu a ggood....errrr.....wait that's another guy....I'm sure Greg Bear isn't all that bad usually...er ok I'll stop babling

yerssot
now I'm confused messed

Dirty Vader
Children of the jedi is the biggest let down for me
Boring story and crapily written.

Julie
What was that one about....I forget.....there was a Black Fleet Crisis that I found terrible.....

yerssot
the crisis or the book? wink

Dirty Vader
Chidren of the Jedi, is where luke meets a jedi called Callista who is
trapped inside the Will of the Eye of Palpatine (a ship that had been constructed thirty years earlier and whos mission was to destroy a place where there was Jedi children.

Julie
ahhhhh....that book was pure boredom

Dirty Vader
Tell me about it, I couldnt believe how crap it was.

Julie
I think I blocked out the painful memory of the story...I just remember hating it....so very......just plain .....anyway...we're in agreement so there's no use in me continuing my tirade.

Darth Jello
everythng between lord kaan's war and ep 3, ep 4, ep 5, shadows of the empire, ep 6, the thrawn and hand of thrawn saga, -that was all cool. everything else i've read was dreck. I especially hate the EU characterization of Boba Fett. infinities ESB showed a much more realistic side of the last mandalorian.

VengeanceGOD
Jaina's NJO book...what was it called? Oh yeah, Dark Journey. It was supposed to be all about her journey to the Dark Side and back, and it just felt like I was reading a Young Jedi Knights book.

Dirty Vader
Eu's caracrerisation of Boba is the only one that gives that cool, mysterious, wicked reputation. The films sure dont.

Julie
I liked DArk Journey...though I admit that it is not the greatest of the NJO....I know of some other real let downs...so for now we can agree to agree that DJ is just ok

VengeanceGOD
I dunno. I picked it up expecting Jaina to go completely badass and Darkside-y...and what I got was 200 pages of Hapan politics. *snore*

Julie
haha....well politics is all well and good...esp when those politics involve killing memebers of your family you don't like.....quite a society eh?

SnakeEyes
I have Rogue Planet but I haven't read it yet... Now I don't think I will.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.