Durability of Mjolnir vs. Worthy Enchantment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

h1a8
Which is stronger,
the durability of Mjolnir (when possessed by normal Thor) or Odin's worthy lifting enchantment?

For example, assume that both Hulk had enough strength to break Mjolnir and that the ground was indestructible. What will happen first if Hulk attempts to lift Mjolnir, Hulk lifts Mjolnir or Mjolnir breaks?

This thread is only for knowledgeable posters with good critical thinking skills. Please back up your claim with good sound reasoning.
Personally, I do not know which is stronger. My gut says the enchantment is.

LeonBuco666
Could anybody really know this for sure?
Has the hammer actually ever been broken/destroyed.
But we know the enchantment has been broken in the past.
Im sayinf the durability of it is stronger

pym-ftw
Without magically overriding the enchantment, you would crush the mallet before it could be lifted.

That said the handle appears > the head in durability.

Damborgson
Originally posted by h1a8

This thread is only for knowledgeable posters with good critical thinking skills. Please back up your claim with good sound reasoning.
Personally, I do not know which is stronger. My gut says the enchantment is.

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g386/psychogundam1/gifs/llama.gif

psycho gundam
i know right

makes a semi-retarded thread and wants us to reason it out like plato and aristotle

golem370
It was destroyed trying to stop the Celestials

eaebiakuya
I think it is the Odin's worthy lifting enchantment.

Maybe a Trans being could do some damage to the hammer, but for sure he cant lift.

h1a8
hammer head has been damaged but not lifted by handle then enchantment wins?

So Handle>>>>>>>head?

Interesting! We are getting somewhere.

I argue that I believe bor can damage the head but he couldn't lift it.

Now we have enchantment>=handle>head or
handle>=enchantment>head

which one?

Sin I AM
lol i like h1

Khazra Reborn
In Thor 600 Bor caught Mjolnir like it was a nerf softball, it seems that you need to have some connection to the OF, or just be overwhelmingly more powerful than Odin to break the enchantment. And to my knowledge the latter has never happened, not that it couldn't, but as far as I know someone like Galactus has never bothered to try and lift Mjolnir.

On the other hand Mjolnir it self has been broken a couple times. Once physically on Bor's face, and another time when Thor channeled too much god force through it, and it couldn't handle that much energy output and it just exploded.

Just based on the fact that Mjolnir has been physically broken would lead me to believe the hammer would give well before the enchantment.

zopzop
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
In Thor 600 Bor caught Mjolnir like it was a nerf softball, it seems that you need to have some connection to the OF, or just be overwhelmingly more powerful than Odin to break the enchantment. And to my knowledge the latter has never happened, not that it couldn't, but as far as I know someone like Galactus has never bothered to try and lift Mjolnir.

On the other hand Mjolnir it self has been broken a couple times. Once physically on Bor's face, and another time when Thor channeled too much god force through it, and it couldn't handle that much energy output and it just exploded.

Just based on the fact that Mjolnir has been physically broken would lead me to believe the hammer would give well before the enchantment.
Molecule Man has disintegrated it too. And then there's the questionable time with Mephisto when he caught the hammer, slagged it, recreated it, then hurled it back at Thor.

h1a8
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Destroyer had destroyed it twice I think too.

Branlor Swift
Perrikus slashed it in half. Destroyer cut it in half. It broke killing Bor to death. It broke on the Exitar Godblast. Molecule Can disintegrated it. Mephisto destroyed and recreated it. He broke it smashing it against three other "Mjolnirs"

Zeus possibly overpowered the enchantment. Bor possibly overpowered it. Mephisto overpowered it. Thanos made it drop stone cold in the air if that counts. Odin can pretty much do whatever he wants with the hammer.

Though the first two might have actually been worthy since you know. Mephisto is really the only one who's actually overpowered it besides Odin, and whatever the Thanos one means.

On the other hand Future King Thor with the Odin Force couldn't overpower it, so there's that.

curryman
I think Bor was worthy.

And Zeus ultimately failed (I think??)

But yeah, I think the durability is far below the worthiness enchantment.

Can we blame the perrikus thing on the enchanter? Or was that later?

zopzop
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
Perrikus slashed it in half. Destroyer cut it in half. It broke killing Bor to death. It broke on the Exitar Godblast. Molecule Can disintegrated it. Mephisto destroyed and recreated it. He broke it smashing it against three other "Mjolnirs"

Zeus possibly overpowered the enchantment. Bor possibly overpowered it. Mephisto overpowered it. Thanos made it drop stone cold in the air if that counts. Odin can pretty much do whatever he wants with the hammer.

Though the first two might have actually been worthy since you know. Mephisto is really the only one who's actually overpowered it besides Odin, and whatever the Thanos one means.

On the other hand Future King Thor with the Odin Force couldn't overpower it, so there's that.
So you see the Mephisto incident as real and not an illusion? Not arguing the point with you, just wanted to get your opinion on it.

Also regarding the Mjolnir and Thanos incident, I just saw it as Thanos' shields blocking Mjolnir., like what happened with Juggernaut in that Thor issue guest staring the New Warriors.

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by curryman
I think Bor was worthy.

And Zeus ultimately failed (I think??)

But yeah, I think the durability is far below the worthiness enchantment.

Can we blame the perrikus thing on the enchanter? Or was that later? Zeus caught it in midair and was holding it for a couple seconds before it went back to Thor

I don't remember any special context in the Perrikus fight

Originally posted by zopzop
So you see the Mephisto incident as real and not an illusion? Not arguing the point with you, just wanted to get your opinion on it.

Also regarding the Mjolnir and Thanos incident, I just saw it as Thanos' shields blocking Mjolnir., like what happened with Juggernaut in that Thor issue guest staring the New Warriors. There wasn't even an allusion to it being an illusion.

Yeah but the hammer kept going in the Juggernaut fight. It flopped to the ground in the Thanos one. I just don't recall it ever doing that against anything.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I think Bor was just worthy at the time and failed to lift the hammer later when his cause was unjust. Just mo anyways.

I don't think Zeus overpowered it either and was simply strong enough to prevent it returning to Thor's hands momentarily. Definitely what the dialogue seems to support:
http://s38.photobucket.com/user/RageOfTheGod/media/Thor/ThorvsZeus2.jpg.html
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/ThorvsZeus3.jpg

Somewhat weird but I think it's the same kind of logic where Hulk was holding up Mjolnir and was getting dragged along as it returned to Thor. Mjolnir hitting it's target and then returning while someone tries to hold it back.

curryman
Zeus caught it in midair and was holding it for a couple seconds before it went back to Thor

I don't remember any special context in the Perrikus fight

I think he failed to hold onto it or something? Though I guess that wouldn't be him being unworthy/failing to overpower the worthiness enchantment.

No, but one of the enchanters lived inside Mjolnir and kept messing with it. It was revealed a few issues later, but I don't remember for how long it had been going on.

Branlor Swift
IDK. It's been a really long time since I read the second volume

Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I think Bor was just worthy at the time and failed to lift the hammer later when his cause was unjust. Just mo anyways.

I don't think Zeus overpowered it either and was simply strong enough to prevent it returning to Thor's hands momentarily. Definitely what the dialogue seems to support:
http://s38.photobucket.com/user/RageOfTheGod/media/Thor/ThorvsZeus2.jpg.html
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/RageOfTheGod/Thor/ThorvsZeus3.jpg

Somewhat weird but I think it's the same kind of logic where Hulk was holding up Mjolnir and was getting dragged along as it returned to Thor. Mjolnir hitting it's target and then returning while someone tries to hold it back. The difference is that Zeus actually caught it in mid air stopping it, he wasn't just conveniently trying to lift it as it was summoned.

It was definitely something different than other characters. Even Thor was stumped

Rage.Of.Olympus
IDK. It's been a really long time since I read the second volume

The difference is that Zeus actually caught it in mid air stopping it, he wasn't just conveniently trying to lift it as it was summoned.

It was definitely something different than other characters. Even Thor was stumped

Yup, and I think once he caught it, Mjolnir immediately tried to return but Zeus was powerful enough to prevent that momentarily. By that I mean, once the slingshot effect of Mjolnir is in play, you're not actually lifting it. I'm at work so this is the best example I could come up with via google:
http://images.wikia.com/marvelanimated/images/1/1f/Mjolnir_Drags_Hulk.jpg

Just so you have an idea of what I mean.

Thor was stumped. But it was specifically because Zeus was able to delay Mjolnir returning to his hand even for an instant, something that no one had ever done before.

This is open to interpretation of course.

Sin I AM
Zeus needs more visibility

Branlor Swift
Honestly, Zeus should have been able to outright overpower it for longer than that second, but whatever I guess. Still more than like 99 percent of others have accomplished.

Odin is the only one who consistently overrides it. As well as him doing it to the Serpent's hammers at the same time which also had the "Have to be worthy to lift" thing going on

Rage.Of.Olympus
Honestly, Zeus should have been able to outright overpower it for longer than that second, but whatever I guess. Still more than like 99 percent of others have accomplished.

Odin is the only one who consistently overrides it. As well as him doing it to the Serpent's hammers at the same time which also had the "Have to be worthy to lift" thing going on

I wouldn't be against Zeus holding back the hammer for longer. However, if Thor's will/need is great enough, practically nothing can or should keep that hammer from it's masters hand.

I don't think Zeus can or should be able to overcome the worthiness enchantment though.

h1a8

On the other hand Future King Thor with the Odin Force couldn't overpower it, so there's that. It was batted away by Firelord and Mangog. IMO, That's equivalent to what Thanos did with his force field.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.