Almost Human

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mindset
This show looks good.

ykwxg534yAw

Karl Urban + JJ Abrams = Yes Please

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2013/05/Karl-Urban-in-ALMOST-HUMAN-TV-Series-5.jpg

http://renegadecinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Almost-Human_JJ-Abrams_04.jpg

ivOCR_rzwjA

heathjack
kind of reminds me of I robot meets Robocop

heathjack
New buddy-cop thrill-ride Almost Human (starring Karl Urban, Michael Ealy and Minka Kelly) will now have a special two-night series premiere on Sunday, Nov. 17 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, following an NFL On Fox double-header, and Monday, Nov. 18 at 8:00 PM ET/PT on Fox. Bones will continue Mondays at 8:00 PM ET/PT with all-new episodes on Nov. 4 and Nov. 11, followed by all-new episodes of Sleepy Hollow at 9:00 PM ET/PT. Bones moves to Fridays and makes its new night premiere on Friday, Nov. 15 at 8:00 PM ET/PT, following the season finale of Master Chef Junior the prior week. That same night, Raising Hope will have its fourth season premiere with one hour of all-new back-to-back episodes at 9:00 PM and 9:30 PM ET/PT, a week later than originally planned. Also, Bones was originally slated to move to Fridays on Nov. 8, while Almost Human was originally scheduled to premiere Nov. 4. But all that has now changed to what we just relayed

BruceSkywalker
looking forward to watching this..

Stealth Moose
I want to see this as well. An extended preview on FX showed a lot of promise.

Stealth Moose
They aired the first two episodes back to back, Sun-Mon. The first episode was really good. The sci-fi atmosphere is a kind of Blade Runner meets Robocop meets Deus Ex: Human Revolution and it works really well. The synthetic cops were unnerving, but our hero EmotionBot is a good foil to Urban's character. The second episode almost felt like cop-show standard formula in one respect; although the technology was present and the atmosphere and interplay between the two mains well done, the story was a cop drama. And that's not a bad thing; they are two cops, but it felt a little strange after the first episode being thematically different.

Some good ethical ideas being examined in the show as well, so that's very promising. I wouldn't say it's the best show available, but it is on my list along with The Blacklist, Dracula, and The Walking Dead.

Mindset
I liked the first episode, haven't seen the second yet.

I'll be watching. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
watched both episodes..

first one was good, second one was ok

Robtard
Same, first ep made me want to watch the second. Second bored me for the most part. Will give #3 a shot; if mediocre, likely dropping the show.

Stealth Moose
Anyone else still watching this?

KingD19
I am. I like it.

Mindset
Watching it now.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by KingD19
I am. I like it.

thumb up

The nods to other sci-fi dystopian settings are nice. The actors are solid. Some of the dialogue is hammy, but overall the impact is great.

Flyattractor
Did catch one of Urban's Dredd refs. That was nice. Is a fun show but I keep forgetting its on.

Stealth Moose
8 PM EST on Fox isn't really the most memorable time, but at least it doesn't conflict with too much else.

AbnormalButSane
I rather like it thus far.

Dreampanther
So far, so good. Nothing ground-breaking, just a buddy-cop series set in the future, but the humour is nicely understated and the characters seem to be showing some development. Special effects aren't horrible. Will keep watching till something better comes along...

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Dreampanther
So far, so good. Nothing ground-breaking, just a buddy-cop series set in the future, but the humour is nicely understated and the characters seem to be showing some development. Special effects aren't horrible. Will keep watching till something better comes along...

I think it's pretty good. As a sci-fi enthusiast, it certainly delivers. The characters are, as you said, developing very well and for an hour long show it's solid. Certainly leagues better than Agents of SHIELD, and marginally better than Sleepy Hollow.

Epicurus
Feels a bit too much like the premise of the I, Robot film.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Epicurus
Feels a bit too much like the premise of the I, Robot film. Except this handles it way way WAY better then the movie did.

But yes. This and SH make for a nice 2 hour diversion from real life.

Stealth Moose
Feels a bit too much like the premise of the I, Robot film.

You mean that POS with Will Smith in it? I never watched it, because I don't hate myself that much.

Flyattractor
Did they just announce that this show is getting cancelled?

if so..

Dang. I was just getting into it.

Stealth Moose
I've seen nor heard nothing to confirm that.

But I did forget this was coming back on. Stupid holiday break.

Flyattractor
I just really wondered because in that last episode they flashed up the words "FINALE EPISODES" on the screen for a half second.
Which wouldn't surprise me cause I am as I said...starting to enjoy the show. A lot better then the other current SciFi'High Tech Dramas that seem to be on right now.

Stealth Moose
That probably meant mid-season finale. They do that with other shows too.

Almost Human isn't knocking out the ratings department, which is sad because its appeal is pretty unique in a tv arena littered with generic cop dramas.

Tzeentch
Indeed.

I don't see the show lasting very long, to be honest. I don't know a single person irl or online whose been especially jazzed with it, and yeah it's ratings haven't been the best. A shame. The closest I'll ever get to a Blade Runner/Deus Ex TV show.

We need more ****ing good sci-fi on television.

Stealth Moose
It also has to compete with the multitude of big money talent shows, like 'Murica's Got People Who Try To Sing and Hobbling with the Stars.

BlackZero30x
Ive been want to check this out but I haven't found episode one.

0mega Spawn
If you do not watch this show i urge you to watch episode 10
Im telling you its awesome

Flyattractor
Last nights ep was pretty good. John Laraquettee made a good 'Maybe a Bad Guy" ...But still a pretty good ep.

Hope this show makes it.

KingD19
Gina Carano. So much sexy.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by KingD19
Gina Carano. So much sexy.

thumb up

Epicurus
Target-locked bullets. The next gen tech which could change the world. Meh.

0mega Spawn
Target-locked bullets. The next gen tech which could change the world. Meh.
The quote in your sig is brilliant.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
The quote in your sig is brilliant.

Someone didn't take Philosophy 101.

Epicurus
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
You mean that POS with Will Smith in it? I never watched it, because I don't hate myself that much.
The premise is same though; a cop who's distrustful of robots in a futuristic setting where robots have become integral in day-to-day human life, finds himself being forced to team up with a different kind of Robot that is less robot-like and more human in personality.

Though I do agree that it was a bastardization of Asimov's novel.

Epicurus
So you need to be proficient in philosophy to simply like the text in someone's sig? roll eyes (sarcastic)

0mega Spawn
erm?

BruceSkywalker
this is not a bad show, just needs better writing and a better actor than Michael Ealy

Stealth Moose
The premise is same though; a cop who's distrustful of robots in a futuristic setting where robots have become integral in day-to-day human life, finds himself being forced to team up with a different kind of Robot that is less robot-like and more human in personality.

Though I do agree that it was a bastardization of Asimov's novel.

I think the fact that it was horribly unfaithful to the novel bothered me most, but at the most basic level you could draw a comparison between its premise and this show. Only this show is superior to I, Robot in about every way.

So you need to be proficient in philosophy to simply like the text in someone's sig? roll eyes (sarcastic)
erm?

No, but the problem of evil isn't new to most philosophy students. So the comment simply tells me that Omega Spawn isn't familiar with ancient philosophy/basic philosophy. It's not a judgment call; it's a statement of observation. I meant no disrespect.

Bardock42

You should watch it, it's not bad. It's not "I, Robot" (but how could it be, really)...it's a solid science fiction movie.

0mega Spawn
I think the fact that it was horribly unfaithful to the novel bothered me most, but at the most basic level you could draw a comparison between its premise and this show. Only this show is superior to I, Robot in about every way.

No, but the problem of evil isn't new to most philosophy students. So the comment simply tells me that Omega Spawn isn't familiar with ancient philosophy/basic philosophy. It's not a judgment call; it's a statement of observation. I meant no disrespect.
But you're implying the quote is new to me.
all i said is and i quote Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
The quote in your sig is brilliant. erm ...
your comment tells me you're most likely a pretentious azz... no disrespect

Mindset
Can you guys shut the phuck up.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42
You should watch it, it's not bad. It's not "I, Robot" (but how could it be, really)...it's a solid science fiction movie.

Hrm. Maybe if it's on Netflix? I have changed my mind before.

But you're implying the quote is new to me.
all i said is and i quote erm ...
your comment tells me you're most likely a pretentious azz... no disrespect

http://dc498.4shared.com/img/lTp1S_wM/s3/u_mad.gif

Seriously, if you intend to get butthurt over it, k. I even clarified that I didn't intend to disrespect you as a means of mitigating the unintended spite my post generated. Your even more rude reply just means any attempt at amiability was wasted.

Originally posted by Mindset
Can you guys shut the phuck up.

Sorry, Mindset. This was not phrased in the form of a question. No points this round.

Epicurus

Which is exactly why I claimed that the basic premise was the same, which it is. It being horrid or not has nothing to do with anything.

It's a sig for crying out loud. Not the sort of thing which should warrant a GDF-style discussion. Come on.

0mega Spawn
Hrm. Maybe if it's on Netflix? I have changed my mind before.

http://dc498.4shared.com/img/lTp1S_wM/s3/u_mad.gif

Seriously, if you intend to get butthurt over it, k. I even clarified that I didn't intend to disrespect you as a means of mitigating the unintended spite my post generated. Your even more rude reply just means any attempt at amiability was wasted.

Sorry, Mindset. This was not phrased in the form of a question. No points this round.
I also said no disrespect... no expression
I guess you can say whatever as long as you say no disrespect .
But the same doesn't apply to me ?

Stealth Moose
Which is exactly why I claimed that the basic premise was the same, which it is. It being horrid or not has nothing to do with anything.

Fair enough. It just seemed like a comparison being used for a judgment call. You said it "feels too much like I, Robot", as if that was a good reason to avoid it. I replied "it's much better", to give you my opinion in case you hadn't seen it.

I'm not sure why it warranted that kind of attention either. It wasn't my intention to derail or refocus the thread. I genuinely enjoy the show, which is why I even comment here.

I also said no disrespect... no expression
I guess you can say whatever as long as you say no disrespect .
But the same doesn't apply to me ?

I indicated that you hadn't been exposed to ancient philosophy based on your reaction. You called me a pretentious ass after the fact. Maybe a degree of difference there. But I don't want to dwell on this and make everyone else irritated further. I didn't really intend to piss you off.

I can retrospectively see that, lacking LOLCATS and smilies how my post could seem harsh, assinine, etc. I'm sorry for that. It's easy to forget that people don't read my posts with the same tone I mentally use as I compose them. My other reply wasn't very nice either because now I too was offended. I got carried away.

But I do not intend to make any more enemies than I already have (I can't make enough time in the day for the ones I've got).

Please excuse my apparent rudeness. Let's continue talking about the show. Like how the guy from Night Court went over the Wall.

What is the Wall? I missed part of the show that night.

Epicurus
The fact that target-locked bullets are supposed to be the next-gen world changing tech on this show makes that episode all the more awful imo.

I still don't get why I am hooked onto this show.

Stealth Moose
That was kinda weak considering they have like nigh-perfect AI, cloning, and so on.

The Tv Tropes page for the series is pretty amusing already.

XanatosForever
The Wall hasn't been explained thus far to my knowledge. Near as I can tell, it's a seperation between what's basically civilized society and an anarchist no man's land. That makes me think it's another shout out. Wasn't Dredd's Megacities surrounded by walls, too?

Stealth Moose
It was. Good catch.

Robtard
Watched the first 3 eps; they were okay. Thinking about watching the rest marathon style once season 1 ends.

Is it worth it?

Stealth Moose
I really liked this show, tbh. I'll be very disappointed if they don't renew it. The technological takes on crime are a hell of a lot more refreshing than any other cop drama out there.

Robtard
Thanks. Didn't know S1 had ending. I'll probably pick it up in a week or two.

Flyattractor
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/fox-cancels-almost-human-1201167294/

Am not happy.

Stealth Moose
Not unexpected, but still disappointing.

Robtard
WTF, I did a marathon style viewing and ended up enjoying this show, but now it's cancelled. Stupid ***** should at least do a second season to tie it up for viewers.

Flyattractor
Of course this is the Fox network. Home of the One Season Wonders....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.