Constantine on NBC, Gotham on Fox, and Arrow on CW

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
Constantine
http://m.deadline.com/2013/09/dc-comics-constantine-daniel-cerone-david-goyer-nbc-warner-bros-tv/
Gotham
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/26/television-batman-idUSL2N0HM02H20130926

Nice roundup of shows.

Bouboumaster
Constantine will be really interesting, I think.
I'd watch it.

Kazenji
Paul Bettany would've been good for Constantine if he wasn't involved with the Marvel related stuff.

BruceSkywalker
not sold on Constantine yet until I see the cast

Gotham however I believe can work with good a cast and good storytelling

Cogito
Constantine could be great on HBO.

On a channel limited by the rules and regulations of the FCC, and with (frankly) stupid viewers who would have excessive influence on producers and NBC execs...I give it half a season.

DARTH POWER
Wow, Arrow, The Flash, Constatine, Gotham (and is the WW series still in the pipeline?).. Well all the best to WB who seem to be going all out on the small screen.

I wonder if there could be crossovers between the series. Arrow facing off against Batman would be... Probably too much to hope for Lol

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Wow, Arrow, The Flash, Constatine, Gotham (and is the WW series still in the pipeline?).. Well all the best to WB who seem to be going all out on the small screen.

I wonder if there could be crossovers between the series. Arrow facing off against Batman would be... Probably too much to hope for Lol

the last i heard regarding the WW tv series was that the CW still wants to do it, but want to have a better script..

Crissovers would be nice , as for Arrow facing off against Batman, that might happen in several years, the reason i say that is because the Gotham tv show will only deal with the GCPD and its officers and crime, Batman won't have anything to do with it,..... however i do think if Gotham is successful and on the air long enough then I can see them bringing in Batman

DARTH POWER
^ Yeah most probably.

roughrider
If Constantine will just be another Americanized version of the character wandering around Los Angeles, I'm not interested.

And if any of these shows don't cross over - well, that's just further proof of DC falling behind Marvel, who's tying their whole universe together with Agents Of SHIELD.

-Pr-
Falling behind? DC has had a more successful presence on television for years now.

ares834
Constantine?

Awesome!!!

Seems like a perfect idea for TV.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by -Pr-
Falling behind? DC has had a more successful presence on television for years now.

Yep. They're well ahead on Tv. Smallville lasted 10 years and introduced loads of DC heroes. Arrow's one of my favorite shows. I've been hooked since the first episode, and we already know that's building up a shared universe next season with The Flash.

In fact going by the first episode of SHIELD, it doesn't seem in the same league as Arrow so far. Although it obviously has potential.

JayDaDon
I see the potential for agents to become its own thing and soon attract a rabid fanbase. The new characters are interesting and have LOADS of potential. I was surprised. I'd give it a while before reaching arrow in quality (really like that show too) but I liked how clearly defined all the characters were even in the pilot of agents. The kind of characters who become fan favorites down the road.

Golgo13

WB/DC has had better cartoons and live action series. Looks like the future will be the same with 3/4 shows down the line. The producer for Constantine will be the same as the Mentalist, which is a critically acclaimed show.

Batman TAS
JL Unlimited
Superman
Teen Titans
Young Justice

and the list goes on.

roughrider

Which do you think DC & Warners would prefer - their TV success (which is mostly animated) or Marvel's mega movie success? TV is still regarded as the smaller genre, compared to movies. Succeeding in movies is still considered more important and high profile.

And after all these decades of being under the umbrella of one media company - Warner Bros. - and only two years from now will we see two DC characters crossover on screen for the first time...yes, they are behind and playing catchup to Marvel.

Golgo13
You were referring to TV, though, which WB has in spades. Yes, Disney is huge with Marvel, but WB still remains one of the most profitable studios in Hollywood and will probably keep on being #1 or 2, because of their startup shared universe.

This was never a race to begin with, but due to the Marvel's success, WB will have their own shared universe.

-Pr-
Originally posted by roughrider
Which do you think DC & Warners would prefer - their TV success (which is mostly animated) or Marvel's mega movie success? TV is still regarded as the smaller genre, compared to movies. Succeeding in movies is still considered more important and high profile.

And after all these decades of being under the umbrella of one media company - Warner Bros. - and only two years from now will we see two DC characters crossover on screen for the first time...yes, they are behind and playing catchup to Marvel.

In movies, yes. Not in television. Movies might be a bigger genre, but there's still a distinction to be made.

DARTH POWER

Regardless of what the studios would prefer, TV Success keeps me happier, as there's a new 1hr episode to look forward to every week. Instead of having to wait a couple of years for the next 2hr movie.

TV is still a very profitable and important medium.

You seem to like constantly reminding people how ahead Marvel is overall. We all know that. But we should still wish both companies the best and be excited for what they both have planned.

Competition improves quality. And looking at say the quality of IM3, I really do believe Marvel could use some competition instead of just taking success for granted now.

roughrider
Regardless of what the studios would prefer, TV Success keeps me happier, as there's a new 1hr episode to look forward to every week. Instead of having to wait a couple of years for the next 2hr movie.

TV is still a very profitable and important medium.

You seem to like constantly reminding people how ahead Marvel is overall. We all know that. But we should still wish both companies the best and be excited for what they both have planned.

Competition improves quality. And looking at say the quality of IM3, I really do believe Marvel could use some competition instead of just taking success for granted now.

Just remember how they cull budgets for weekly live action TV. When Smallville would get away from character driven stories and deal with actual superhero action - like Doomsday, and the JL - it looked crappy and low budget. Not want I want to see on a weekly basis.

And I only harp on this point because DC had the capacity to do a shared movie universe years - even decades ago - and squandered their ownership of that particular sandbox. Because even up to last year when The Dark Knight Rises came out, we were hearing internal debate about if making a shared universe is what they really wanted. Remember Christopher Nolan saying he wouldn't be part of a Justice League movie, and thinking such a movie would rob both Batman and Superman of their uniqueness? That's the same kind of thinking that's sidelined DC for the longest time - building up their big three so much, at the expense of the rest of their universe. Why else did they do a weekly series - 52 - that was all about the hero community in trouble by not having Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman for a full year? It's only because Marvel is forcing their hand, that they have no choice but to go ahead with a shared universe. Bats and Supes will just have to be important members of the community now, instead of these super icons.

Golgo13
Just remember how they cull budgets for weekly live action TV. When Smallville would get away from character driven stories and deal with actual superhero action - like Doomsday, and the JL - it looked crappy and low budget. Not want I want to see on a weekly basis.

And I only harp on this point because DC had the capacity to do a shared movie universe years - even decades ago - and squandered their ownership of that particular sandbox. Because even up to last year when The Dark Knight Rises came out, we were hearing internal debate about if making a shared universe is what they really wanted. Remember Christopher Nolan saying he wouldn't be part of a Justice League movie, and thinking such a movie would rob both Batman and Superman of their uniqueness? That's the same kind of thinking that's sidelined DC for the longest time - building up their big three so much, at the expense of the rest of their universe. Why else did they do a weekly series - 52 - that was all about the hero community in trouble by not having Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman for a full year? It's only because Marvel is forcing their hand, that they have no choice but to go ahead with a shared universe. Bats and Supes will just have to be important members of the community now, instead of these super icons.

Just because you have a shared universe doesn't equate to being better. Remember, Marvel is making up for lost time, because for decades, WB was the only studio for the super hero genre.

There is no rush. WB is now going to capitalize on their own shared universe. Whether it be good or bad, time will tell.

DARTH POWER

Yeah they never had a huge fight with Doomsday. That was disappointing. But it wasn't all bad, Clark vs other Kryptonians throughout the series were usually exciting. Impulse, Martian Manhunter, even Dr. Fate and Hawkman were also displayed relatively well.

But yeah it's really the animations that will show full superhero action(where DC also has the edge).

Having said that Arrow's done really well with the action sequences. Most people agree Arrow's action is far far ahead of Nolan's Batman, despite the latter being on the big screen.

DARTH POWER

Yeah WB has been really really slow and lazy on the big screen.

But surprisingly they were the first to put them all together on tv with JL and JLU in animation(Heck they had Super friends like decades ago), as well as putting together a JL roster in live action via Smallville.

Believe it or not they actually did a crappy JL tv movie back in the 90's. So they have at been doing that long before Marvel on the small screen.

Edit- Mistakenly double posted.

Femi32

I feel your pain. It still pisses me off that we could've had World's Finest in 2002 and Justice League between 2006-2011.

What infuriated me even more was that WB was considering doing a Motion Capture version of Justice League. It would've starred Brandon Routh as Superman, someone else as Batman (because Nolan didn't want his Batman touched), and I don't know for the rest. While they were considering that, Marvel made plans for a Live Action Avengers movie. The rest is history. Nolan hampered the start of the DCCU along with Singer's lack of imagination and knowledge of Superman.

I would feel better right now if they announced they were working on a Wonder Woman movie, Aquaman movie, Green Lantern reboot/sequel, and a shared universe with the tv shows on right now.

AlmightyKfish
Eh I hope Constantine is done right but I have low expectations. There are so many ways to get it wrong.

For one thing, if it's not in London that would be a terrible start. Will have to wait for more details I guess.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
Eh I hope Constantine is done right but I have low expectations. There are so many ways to get it wrong.

For one thing, if it's not in London that would be a terrible start. Will have to wait for more details I guess.

Wow, hating on it before knowing anything about the show.

AlmightyKfish
Wow, hating on it before knowing anything about the show.

Not hating on it, just low expectations because Hellblazer was one my favourite comic series ever written (and John is my favourite character).

It could be brilliantly done and I could be massively surprised. But I'm pessimistic because John is a character that isn't easy to write well.

That being said, looking forward to the Gotham PD thing, that could be a really cool Gotham Central style show.

juggernaut74
http://www.411mania.com/movies/news/309780/-NBC-Orders-Pilot-for-Constantine.htm

Golgo13
They casted Gordon. Anyone know about this actor?

http://www.newsarama.com/20272-fox-casts-gotham-s-james-gordon-and-he-once-played-batman.html

DARTH POWER
Nope, but is a pilot ordered for it yet?

The more pilots ordered the better, because not all pilots result in a series. So I know The Flash, and Constantine have been ordered.

BruceSkywalker
Nope, but is a pilot ordered for it yet?

The more pilots ordered the better, because not all pilots result in a series. So I know The Flash, and Constantine have been ordered.

you ever watch a teen drama called The OC?? or seen the TNT cop drama Southland?

as far as I know the pilot has been ordered but i might be wrong

Golgo13
More people are casted.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/fox-s-gotham-series-casts-penguin-alfred-and-gordon/1100-148095/

BruceSkywalker
Donal Logue is Bullock..

http://www.superherohype.com/news/290977-donal-logue-cast-as-harvey-bullock-in-foxs-gotham-series

Golgo13
Funny. I saw Donal on the Conan O'Brien show when I visited New York. He's pretty cool.

Golgo13
http://www.newsarama.com/20296-john-wesley-shipp-joins-the-flash-pilot-in-mysterious-role.html

John Wesley joins the pilot.

juggernaut74
http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/matt-ryan-nbc-dc-constantine/

Firefly218
He looks like a good fit thumb up

Golgo13
Goyer talks Constantine. Sounds very interesting.

BaINh_ZkxII#t=137

Golgo13
Scalped is the latest of the DC properties to be in TV. SWEET! big grin

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52149

Golgo13
It's official.

http://www.newsarama.com/21038-gotham-gets-official-full-series-order-at-fox.html

Kazenji
Originally posted by Golgo13
Scalped is the latest of the DC properties to be in TV. SWEET! big grin

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52149

I should get the rest of the trades of that one

only got vol 1 of it and it was decent crime comic.

Golgo13
It's official!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52679

Oh, and that Gotham trailer looks fantastic.

0d1zpt6k5OI

Golgo13
Aaaand Constantine is confirmed too. big grin

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/nbc-constantine-to-series/

celeyhyga17
uPE2oBnzROY

Kazenji
Looks decent enough.

kevdude
Looks alright, though they got his name wrong again! Constantyne is how you say it!

Firefly218
Looks like supernatural.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Firefly218
Looks like supernatural.

That's funny because Supernatural is most likely inspired by Hellblazer.

Golgo13
SDCC: Warner Bros TV will screen these TV shows. WB kicking ass. Everything looks fantastic.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/sdcc-2014-warner-bros-television-and-dc-to-screen-gotham-and-others/1100-149146/

Galan007
the pilot was enjoyable. couple good easter eggs in there, too. thumb up

Kazenji
I read somewhere Constantine won't be smoking as in lighting up a cig

some bs from NBC

http://www.slashfilm.com/constantine-no-smoking/

Galan007
^ yeah, apparently smoking on screen isn't allowed on that network.

phucking stupid, imo.

ares834
Originally posted by Galan007
the pilot was enjoyable. couple good easter eggs in there, too. thumb up

The Constantine pilot leaked as well? Jesus.

BruceSkywalker
Papa Midnite has been cast..

http://www.superherohype.com/news/312869-michael-james-shaw-cast-and-constantines-papa-midnite

Inhuman

Golgo13
WB/DC keeps on kicking ass in the TV department. Supergirl show confirmed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55398

DARTH POWER
Huh? Supergirl? That's strange. Considering they're not mixing tv series with the cinematic one. And that Superman isn't going to appear on the small screen anytime soon.

So what kind of Supergirl will there be with no Superman around?

Golgo13
Gotham named Fall's most promising show.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57724453/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t2

ares834
WB/DC keeps on kicking ass in the TV department. Supergirl show confirmed.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55398

Sweet. Looking forward to this one.

Golgo13
And now there is speak of a Titans show!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55464

DARTH POWER
Nice, and they could do crossovers between Supergirl and Titans.

Keep it rolling out on our Tv sets WB/DC.

Kazenji
Stephen Amell Wants Green Lantern In ARROW

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=107460

krisblaze
I honestly don't even care if they're that good.

I just want to watch superhero series.

Tzeentch
You should check out the Catwoman film Halle Berry did. That's a comic book film.

Kazenji
Originally posted by krisblaze
I honestly don't even care if they're that good.

You should care.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Kazenji
Stephen Amell Wants Green Lantern In ARROW

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=107460

I doubt they would have the budget to do his powers justice.

Though I wouldn't mind John Diggle end up being John Stewart.

krisblaze
You should care.
They're not though sad

Golgo13
And yet another show is in development! Vertigo's Lucifer!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55573http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55573

DARTH POWER
I hope all these shows make it to series and to 2nd/3rd e.t.c seasons. Would be awesome to have a whole list of great comic book shows to watch every week.

I already feel like I'm being spoilt weekly for half the year around with Walking Dead, Arrow and now Flash as well..

Kazenji
Originally posted by krisblaze
They're not though sad

Huh??

what are you on about they're a doing good job of Arrow & Flash seems to like it'll be great too

seems like you have too high expectations that's all.

krisblaze
Lucifer could be good!

Just watched the first episode of Flash, disgusting stuff.

Every hero has to be a teen crush apparently
Huh??

what are you on about they're a doing good job of Arrow & Flash seems to like it'll be great too

seems like you have too high expectations that's all.
Expecting a show to not fall into every trite cliche and trope that exists, is having high expectations? laughing

janus77
When was Constantine launched? Is Flash any good? Better than The Arrow?

krisblaze
^I liked the Arrow pilot more than the Flash pilot.

Arrow had 2 decent seasons. Can't tell whether it's a shit show with great moments, or a great show with really bad moments though.

janus77
I wasn't a fan of Arrow, watched it ... 'cos ... comic superhero, but I'd come down on the side of it being a "poor show with good moments", rather than anything else.

I'll keep an eye out for Flash, much more interesting character, hopefully a better show.

Kazenji
Constantine also has promise, Only going by the trailers here haven't watched the pilot that was leaked.

Golgo13
New SG news.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55644

juggerman
When does Flash air?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by juggerman
When does Flash air?

Oct 7

juggerman
People said they already saw the first episode.....

DARTH POWER

Pilot was leaked online a few months ago.

BruceSkywalker

people saw the "leaked" episode a few months ago but i am waiting to watch it when it actually airs

DARTH POWER
Titans might crossover with Arrow and Flash:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheSewer/news/?a=108151

WB's building up a nice little Shared Tv Universe for DC Properties. Best thing they've done since the Shared JLU Animated Universe.

krisblaze
^Yeah even if I'm not a big fan of the shows themselves, I am certainly happy that they're doing things with the comic-book stuff smile

BruceSkywalker
Titans might crossover with Arrow and Flash:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheSewer/news/?a=108151

WB's building up a nice little Shared Tv Universe for DC Properties. Best thing they've done since the Shared JLU Animated Universe.

i can see the crossover happening

Golgo13
Nice to see Constantine survive Friday, which was the World Series.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56618

thumb up

janus77
Really wanted to like it. Not sure I'll be watching it for too many episodes.

Again, mediocre cliche plot and characterisation. Even Keanu's Constantine had more character about him.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by janus77
Really wanted to like it. Not sure I'll be watching it for too many episodes.

Again, mediocre cliche plot and characterisation. Even Keanu's Constantine had more character about him.

Keanu Reeves' Constantine was completely different interpretation of the character. Even then, he did a fine job. This Constantine, is pretty much right from the page. It's the character the show has gotten so right. Everything else leaves much to be desired but it's still trying. It almost reminds me of a more mature "reaper". As far as tv shows go, i really don't see anything wrong with that.

Golgo13
Another show is about to air on FOX. Global Frequency by Warren Ellis, which was under Wildstorm imprint. Also, produced by Jerry Bruckhiemer.

http://www.newsarama.com/22791-jerry-bruckheimer-setting-up-global-frequency-tv-drama-at-fox.html

BruceSkywalker
Another show is about to air on FOX. Global Frequency by Warren Ellis, which was under Wildstorm imprint. Also, produced by Jerry Bruckhiemer.

http://www.newsarama.com/22791-jerry-bruckheimer-setting-up-global-frequency-tv-drama-at-fox.html

Bruckheimer has done great tv throughout the years,, this should be really good

jinXed by JaNx

Yeah, that's cool just dont watch it. It wont be as good as, Constantine.

Kazenji

I read that one's been attempted before and it only got as far as a pilot.

cherry cola
Liked the crossover Arrow/Flash episode.

Golgo13
Mark Hamill returns to Flash:

http://www.newsarama.com/22924-mark-hamill-returns-as-the-trickster-on-the-flash.html

Superman prequel in the works!

http://www.newsarama.com/22933-superman-prequel-series-in-development-at-syfy.html

Kazenji
I don't see the point in the Krypton show, Then again it might surprise me with it being good.

Golgo13
I don't see the point in the Krypton show, Then again it might surprise me with it being good.

Have you liked the other TV shows?

Also, Geoff Johns said Titans will start shooting next year.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57635

Kazenji
Yeah i'm enjoying Gotham

but this new show will be on Syfy.

Golgo13
Don't even know that station.

Titans will air on TNT. That will have real promise, if you look at who's producing.

Kazenji
Don't even know that station.

*Facepalm*

and you posted the link about it.

Golgo13
*Facepalm*

and you posted the link about it.

Doesn't mean I KNOW the station. I meant i've never heard of it until today, smart guy. Don't be such a douche. big grin

Golgo13
Constantine will return, but with a new time slot. Hopefully, it won't get cancelled.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57937

Firefly218
Jesus... superhero overload. Can studios not think of anything original? You know, superman and Krypton were original ideas at one point in time.

Golgo13
Wow, Flash is off to a great start. Voted as the best Live action TV show, with Arrow in second place.

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/the-2014-comic-vine-tv-awards-winners/1100-150788/

DARTH POWER
Flash had a few slow episodes but it got really really good in its last couple of episodes. The mid-season finale was just Awesome.

Edit- But Walking Dead is still by far the best comic book live action series.

jinXed by JaNx
constantine is ****ing awesome. It reminds me of a cross between dead like me and Xfiles. I know this show wont last long but damn, it's excellent. It' really captures the original comic very well. I fell like Constantines character is right out of the, Hellblazer comics. I hope people start and continue watching the series because it's only gotten better with each episode. It would be a shame to see this series flicker out before it's brilliance was truly realized.

Golgo13
Vixen cartoon.

http://www.newsarama.com/23194-cw-announced-vixen-animated-series-to-tie-in-with-arrow-flash-and-izombie-gets-a-debut-date-trailer.html

And the trailer for I Zombie:

bWCyqJv6q7g

BruceSkywalker
bye bye haters The Flash and Arrow are returning...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/326465-the-cw-renews-both-arrow-and-the-flash

Golgo13
Praise for Supergirl, which the pilot is near for pickup.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58402

DARTH POWER
Praise for Supergirl, which the pilot is near for pickup.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58402

Yes! Can't wait. Especially exciting that it will likely be part of a shared Universe with Arrow and Flash.

Golgo13
Supergirl has been cast...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58687

DARTH POWER
Supergirl has been cast...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58687

So are we getting this in 2015?

BruceSkywalker

they'll have to cgi her body laughing out loud

Golgo13

Probably.

Time Immemorial
Is Constantine aired yet?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Is Constantine aired yet?

Nope, if you've been living in a cave.

Inhuman
Didn't know where to post this....

Mehcad Brooks Cast As Jimmy Olsen In Supergirl

http://comicbook.com/2015/01/29/mehcad-brooks-cast-as-jimmy-olsen-in-supergirl/

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/01/jimmy-olsen-120191.jpg

pym-ftw
Originally posted by Inhuman

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/01/jimmy-olsen-120191.jpg I can see the resemblance if I squint and look in the opposite direction.

roughrider
Originally posted by Inhuman

http://media.comicbook.com/uploads1/2015/01/jimmy-olsen-120191.jpg

I call ginger prejudice! laughing out loud

First Jimmy gets replaced by an East Indian girl (Jenny Olsen) in MOS, now this...boys of Scandinavian descent need representin', knowhatimsayin? laughing

Golgo13
Titans cast revealed!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58962

jinXed by JaNx
if the nerd bastards on this forum can't muster their geekdom enough to bring a second season of Constantine, ,my nerd will die. mad

BruceSkywalker
Lucifer is coming....

http://www.superherohype.com/news/330751-fox-orders-lucifer-pilot-with-underworld-director-len-wiseman-helming

ares834
Only Fox could turn the Lucifer series into a cop procedural....

roughrider
Originally posted by ares834
Only Fox could turn the Lucifer series into a cop procedural....

As long as it's the pre-New 52 version of Lucifer, I'm happy. While I'm sure they can't get as epic as the comic series was, if they hit a middle ground between Joss Whedon's Angel and Hannibal Lecter, I will be satisfied.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/lucifer-dc-comics-drama-pilot-order-fox-1201436618/

Golgo13
Flash/Arrow Super hero team spinoff coming.

http://www.newsarama.com/23656-report-flash-arrow-superhero-team-spin-off-coming.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.