Luke Cage vs Hourman (Rex)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Who wins?

DarkSaint85
Luke, surely?

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Luke, surely?

I'd like to think so.

The Miraclo's supposed to make the Hourmen around cl 100, though.

They're one of the few DC streets with super powers, and almost nobody knows much about them, it seems. sad

Q99
Originally posted by cdtm
I'd like to think so.

They're one of the few DC streets with super powers, and almost nobody knows much about them, it seems. sad

Yea, in practice it tends to less, but with miraculo the Hourmen are rather strong.

Delta1938
I'd like to think so.

Class 100? confused This a typo and you meant Class 10? Since you referred to the Hourmen as Street Level, I'll take it was a typo.

I've mostly just read the original's appearances in that crossover that took place during WWII, and was made to bring back the JSA into the spotlight before they started the JSA monthly. But I do remember an issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE TASK FORCE had the original Hourman move so fast, he saved a young girl but wasn't seen.

Q99
Hourman is definitely well, well above class 10.

The thing about Hourman is he has to spend a lot of time fighting as-if he was street, because he's either saving his powers or already used them. But miraculo is a *hell* of a drug.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Q99
Hourman is definitely well, well above class 10.

The thing about Hourman is he has to spend a lot of time fighting as-if he was street, because he's either saving his powers or already used them. But miraculo is a *hell* of a drug.

So.....what examples are these that would put Hourman/men "well, well above class 10?" I haven't seen too much of Hourman, but aside from the android one, nothing I've seen backs this, so I'm curious.

Cogito
IIRC Hourman is supposed to be able to lift at least 100 tons with the Miraclo.

DarkSaint85
Wow. I've read a few JSAs only, always had him down as Cap America level....

Q99
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Wow. I've read a few JSAs only, always had him down as Cap America level....

Nope!

There was a comic, "The Justice Society Returns," where this evil god dude, Stalker, has split up and is doing evil and the JSA members split up to stop him. Mid-nite and Hourman go after one, but are outmatched. So they give Miraculo to Hootie, Dr. Mid-nite's owl (who was hit by Stalker's toxic blast), and Hootie punches a hole through the god's chest.

Because Miraculo is just that awesome.

abhilegend
Its Miraclo. Hourman has knocked out people like Captain Nazi.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Cogito
IIRC Hourman is supposed to be able to lift at least 100 tons with the Miraclo.

Most Marvel writers don't take the strength class system(past Class 10) literally. Thing and Colossus aren't Class 100, yet they possess feats that are(or equivalent) to hundreds or thousands of tons. I prefer "physically Top-Tier" to be honest. And on a related note, prefer "Top-Tier" over "Herald Level." I ****ing hate that term.

Originally posted by abhilegend
Its Miraclo. Hourman has knocked out people like Captain Nazi.

Whoa where? If legit and not circumstantial(I'll ignore sucker punching being a circumstance) that would place him at least upper-level Mid-Tier if that's somewhat the norm.

cdtm
So, Q99.

Where would you rank a Miraclo enhanced punch vs the Iron Fist?

abhilegend
Originally posted by Delta1938
Whoa where? If legit and not circumstantial(I'll ignore sucker punching being a circumstance) that would place him at least upper-level Mid-Tier if that's somewhat the norm.
Justice Society of America vol 3 3-4 from 2007. Nazi beat Alan Scott off panel and then hourman knocked him out IIRC.

Q99
So, Q99.

Where would you rank a Miraclo enhanced punch vs the Iron Fist?

Hm, kinda depends on how charged the Fist is.... the Iron Fist has feats better than most 'class 100/top tier' punches at it's best, so a full strength one tops a Miraclo punch.

beatboks
I'd like to think so.

Hourman is NO where near class 100. Where the hell do you get an idea like that??? He also has lower durability by quite a measure. In his original GA stories he was KO'd almost every outing by ordinary hoods

Feat wise he's lucky to have anything above 20 tons. The only things that can in any way suggest any greater than that are feats of combat against characters higher rated that aren't quantifiable. For example in All Star Squadron he fought reasonably evenly against Baron Blitzcrieg who has showings putting him on Wonder Woman level. He however struggled greatly against the baron and lost ( the earth X saga) and the baron's whole thing is transfering his body's store of energy to a single feat, to fight WW he likely transfered more.

Luke has this easily, and that's from a JSA fanboy

Q99
It varies, but there's a couple very high end ones, and normally I'd still say above 20, more like 50-60.

beatboks
Originally posted by Q99
It varies, but there's a couple very high end ones, and normally I'd still say above 20, more like 50-60.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. The OP specifies Rex not Rick or any other Hourman. Rex's feats aren't anywhere near the level your suggesting.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/AdventureComics70-Page37.jpg.html

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/AdventureComics70-Page38.jpg.html

Here is just one of many dozens of examples i could give. Rex didn't even have the strength to bend the iron bars of the cage to escape. If he was as you suggest any where near a 50 tonner this would have been childs play.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/00190AdventureComics48-Page7.jpg.html

Here we see that the impact of a 1 to 1.5 ton police car in his own words has almost as much kick as miraclo. F= M x A if it wasn't accelerating that is only a couple of ton impact. If it was accelerating a say 60 KM/h that's 16m/s making it equivalent to between 16 to 24 ton impact.

Rex only "active appearances" are in the GA and SA ( some cameos in the BA) and his feats simply don't lend to anywhere near the level of strength your suggesting. His best speed was to keep a speeding car in sight, his best strength feats were to pull a small aircraft down that was taking off and lift a car or truck, jump to the roof a a four or five story building. In one issue he bent a sapling to catapult him to the top of a large boulder and was relieved and surprised to make it.

I've got a couple dozen more of the old adventure comics with him in it and I'm only missing about 5 issues in total of All Star comics ( he's only in 1 of those) so can get more scans if you'd like to support.

His son Rick I'll grant has some feats that I'd rate more like 40 tons but not Rex

cdtm
Originally posted by beatboks
Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. The OP specifies Rex not Rick or any other Hourman. Rex's feats aren't anywhere near the level your suggesting.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/AdventureComics70-Page37.jpg.html

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/AdventureComics70-Page38.jpg.html

Here is just one of many dozens of examples i could give. Rex didn't even have the strength to bend the iron bars of the cage to escape. If he was as you suggest any where near a 50 tonner this would have been childs play.

http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/beatboks01/media/hournan/00190AdventureComics48-Page7.jpg.html

Here we see that the impact of a 1 to 1.5 ton police car in his own words has almost as much kick as miraclo. F= M x A if it wasn't accelerating that is only a couple of ton impact. If it was accelerating a say 60 KM/h that's 16m/s making it equivalent to between 16 to 24 ton impact.

Rex only "active appearances" are in the GA and SA ( some cameos in the BA) and his feats simply don't lend to anywhere near the level of strength your suggesting. His best speed was to keep a speeding car in sight, his best strength feats were to pull a small aircraft down that was taking off and lift a car or truck, jump to the roof a a four or five story building. In one issue he bent a sapling to catapult him to the top of a large boulder and was relieved and surprised to make it.

I've got a couple dozen more of the old adventure comics with him in it and I'm only missing about 5 issues in total of All Star comics ( he's only in 1 of those) so can get more scans if you'd like to support.

His son Rick I'll grant has some feats that I'd rate more like 40 tons but not Rex

I don't have the scans on me, but have you read the 90's JSA mini where they return from Ragnarok? Superman overshadows them in the first issue.

It's been some years, but as I recall, Rex one punch totaled a tank about mid way through the series... May have been an older tank, though. (I'll try and dig up my collection to confirm it..)

beatboks
I don't have the scans on me, but have you read the 90's JSA mini where they return from Ragnarok? Superman overshadows them in the first issue.

It's been some years, but as I recall, Rex one punch totaled a tank about mid way through the series... May have been an older tank, though. (I'll try and dig up my collection to confirm it..)

From what you've described no. I gave up on comics in the early 90's for a while because of the needless sensationalized crap being put out by both publishers just for the sake of sales. We'd gone through the death of superman and reign of the Superman and breaking fo the Bat, Over at Marvel Fisk had discovered DD's secret ID and was attacking matt in both private, professional and heroes life to break him down, Steve was questioning his patriotism. They Killed the JSA put the LoSH through some silly little pointless mini reboot ( 5 years later) that only changed motivations, names or the gritiness of the characters. They were trouncing the Doom patrol by haning crap on their reps with the new Arani Caulder one ( which was good for the first year or so). I only came back in the fold at the end of teh 90's ( or early 2000's) when I'd heard from a friend that the JSA was back ( Goyer Johns one) and bought the back issues to it and JSA classified and a few others.

cdtm
From what you've described no. I gave up on comics in the early 90's for a while because of the needless sensationalized crap being put out by both publishers just for the sake of sales. We'd gone through the death of superman and reign of the Superman and breaking fo the Bat, Over at Marvel Fisk had discovered DD's secret ID and was attacking matt in both private, professional and heroes life to break him down, Steve was questioning his patriotism. They Killed the JSA put the LoSH through some silly little pointless mini reboot ( 5 years later) that only changed motivations, names or the gritiness of the characters. They were trouncing the Doom patrol by haning crap on their reps with the new Arani Caulder one ( which was good for the first year or so). I only came back in the fold at the end of teh 90's ( or early 2000's) when I'd heard from a friend that the JSA was back ( Goyer Johns one) and bought the back issues to it and JSA classified and a few others.

Dude, you just described my middle school years. I'm one of the suckers who bought three issues of "Death of Superman", and spent money on all those "first" gold foiled issues, and I KNEW it was a scam. But I got swept up in the hype, like everyone else.

The worst, was they tried to sucker kids into applying for "files" for 15% discounts, dumped a large list of comics in for future purchases, and once the comics built up to between 30-100 dollars, pressuring the kids to buy the comics like they're the IRS and you owe them money.. (A woman actually tried to make me give back a ball cap they gave away because I couldn't afford to buy the comics anymore and had to close the file, and her husband and co owner finally stepped in and told her "No, you don't do that to a kid".)

Completely turned me off to the hobby for a long time.

Q99

In the Justice Society Returns, he goes toe-to-toe with one of Stalker's disciples, and he shows far more than those feats from his original series. He gets thrown through reinforced walls, punches the baddie through the same, and so on. Stalker's disciples were also shown doing stuff like being rough fights for Alan Scott.

I think it's simply a case where his power increased over time, originally being class 1~ or so but being upgraded as the general power of comics went up too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.