Why is slavery not included in the Ten Commandments?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shakyamunison

Stealth Moose
Slavery is pretty much an accepted part of live in Biblical times. And mind-boggling interpretation of the Bible allows for slavery-inducing madness such as Curse of Ham, which gave people a blank moral check to enslave Africans and Native Americans.

In fact, of the big three religions (Christian, Islam, Judaism), all accept slavery in some form or another, either in their early scripture or in the form of male dominance.

Shakyamunison
I can't imagine my religion (Buddhism) condoning slavery. We are all connected. So the life of a slave brings all of our lives down with it.

Stealth Moose
Buddhism doesn't itself encourage slavery, but some forms of Buddhism are assimilated into cultures that practice it. For example, feudal Japan had forms of slavery yet had Buddhist teachings. Religions are never pure and always bleed into the social practices of wherever they are transported to, like cargo cults in a way.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point for social inequality if we proclaim to be moral people. What moral person happily oppresses someone else, even indirectly?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Buddhism doesn't itself encourage slavery, but some forms of Buddhism are assimilated into cultures that practice it. For example, feudal Japan had forms of slavery yet had Buddhist teachings. Religions are never pure and always bleed into the social practices of wherever they are transported to, like cargo cults in a way.

Quite frankly, I don't see the point for social inequality if we proclaim to be moral people. What moral person happily oppresses someone else, even indirectly?

The Buddhism in feudal Japan was corrupted by the government. The government would only sponsor the Buddhist schools that supported what the government did. All others were persecuted. See the life of Nichiren Daishonin.

Stealth Moose
Of course. That's a common part of syncretism.

Shakyamunison
JIA why not try to answer my question?

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
JIA why not try to answer my question?

What question?

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f80/t587086.html

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=586713&pagenumber=7#post14512113

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=587086&pagenumber=1#post14510871 (click here if you can handle the Truth)

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=587086&pagenumber=1#post14510888

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f80/t587049.html

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14510387#post14510387

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14510685#post14510685

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=587086&pagenumber=1#post14510714

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=587086&pagenumber=1#post14510772

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
What question?

Why is slavery not included in the Ten Commandments? That is the topic of the thread.

Stealth Moose
Perhaps because at the time, the Hebrews were formerly slaves instead of themselves being slave owners. But that wasn't always so.

Shakyamunison
Perhaps because at the time, the Hebrews were formerly slaves instead of themselves being slave owners. But that wasn't always so.

Wait, the myth that the Hebrews were slaves in Egypt has be debunked. The people who built the pyramids were not slaves. They were common workers who payed their taxes with labor. This is evident in the work camps, where the people lived. They were worked hard, but they were well treated and given lots of beer.

There is also accounts of slaves being brought out of Egypt with the Hebrews in the bible. I'm not good at quoting the bible, and I could be wrong. Check it out.

Stealth Moose
But... I watched the Charleton Heston movie. How could I be wrong?

dadudemon

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by dadudemon
Because slavery is an ethically gray area and has a gray definition.

"Is not the savage shown kindness under the care and housing of his Spartan owners?"

-Some Ancient Smart Dude that I'm Obviously Paraphrasing

"The 9-5 people are slaves of the market and that the corporate institutions created. Your freedom is an illusion."

-A Paraphrase from Kevin

So, slavery is a gray area. Ok, so is murder, and it was included.

Stealth Moose
I would have been happier had Goliath enslaved David instead of being murdered, as that jives with my ethically grey leanings, clearly.

Lord Lucien
Slavery>murder. You can only have sex with a person for so long after they've died. But if they're a slave, there's no end to the fun! You can do all kinds of neat things with a slave, and the option to finally kill them is always there. Don't deny yourself such bountiful entertainment/free labor/organ donor.

dadudemon
So, slavery is a gray area. Ok, so is murder, and it was included.

It was "killing" not murder. And I think "don't kill, bitches" is pretty dang specific with no gray areas. They made it not gray, though.

"Don't lie."

"Don't steal."

"Don't kill."

I mean, how can you make those gray areas? But they did...they did.

Raisen
lots of liberal Christian hate on here. Apparently Buddhism is the far superior religion. how unbiased

Mindset
Because shit had to get done, bud.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Raisen
lots of liberal Christian hate on here. Apparently Buddhism is the far superior religion. how unbiased

You can thank your friendly neighborhood JIA for some of that. But if you have some great counter arguments, feel free to produce them.

Raisen
You can thank your friendly neighborhood JIA for some of that. But if you have some great counter arguments, feel free to produce them.

You won't hear me arguing for Christianity. All religions seem like a sci fi novel to me. I just try to respect a person's religion. Its a big thing in a lot of peoples lives

Stealth Moose
I don't understand; we should respect the religion of people who push it on others, but they don't have to respect us not wanting to hear their rhetoric? Especially when we point out huge flaws in their scripture?

Shakyamunison
I don't understand; we should respect the religion of people who push it on others, but they don't have to respect us not wanting to hear their rhetoric? Especially when we point out huge flaws in their scripture?

It's the PUSHING part that is bad.

If you wanted to know about my religion, I would take the time to tell you. But if you didn't want to know, then I will not tell you. That is how I think it should be. However, some religions like fundamentalist Christians are commanded to teach you about their religion, especially if you don't want to know.

We don't need to get rid of religions, we just need better religions.

Stealth Moose
Well, in that respect it's like any other belief. I can believe that Danes are strange people or that the North Pole is a place where Santa lives, or that global warming is a lie. It's when I start absolutely declaring it as truth and attacking others for not sharing that truth that I become a menace.

Shakyamunison
Well, in that respect it's like any other belief. I can believe that Danes are strange people or that the North Pole is a place where Santa lives, or that global warming is a lie. It's when I start absolutely declaring it as truth and attacking others for not sharing that truth that I become a menace.

You are absolutely right. However, you started off as a menace. hee hee jk

You know, debate is a good thing. I always say; I don't want peace on Earth, after all the Moon is very peaceful place, but I wouldn't want to live there. What I want is harmony, and a few bad notes only makes us appreciate the nice ones more.

To answer my own question: I believe that the Hebrews from the OT thought slavery was a good thing, and not bad.

Mindship
Why is slavery not in the 10C?

1. God had slaves. We call them angels. What's the big deal?

OR

2. Like Stealth Moose said: it was just an accepted part of life back then; everyone was too close to it to see the forest for the trees. Same like with America's Founding Fathers.

Hell, sometime in the future, our descendants will look back at things we're doing now (eg, making Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian types celebrities), and wonder, wtf?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Why is slavery not in the 10C?

1. God had slaves. We call them angels. What's the big deal?

OR

2. Like Stealth Moose said: it was just an accepted part of life back then; everyone was too close to it to see the forest for the trees. Same like with America's Founding Fathers.

Hell, sometime in the future, our descendants will look back at things we're doing now (eg, making Miley Cyrus or Kim Kardashian types celebrities), and wonder, wtf?

Wait, I'm wondering wtf now! big grin

Mindship
way too famous?? wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
way too famous??

I'm tired of Madonna want-to-bees.

Lord Lucien
Save the bees. Save the trees. Save the whales. Save those snails.

Stealth Moose
In the future, people will look back and go "Message boards? How technologically inferior! Oh, hey... my psionic chip is acting up again..."

Shakyamunison
The ten commandments are flawed, because they were written by humans.

siriuswriter
I personally think that "Do not steal" covers a lot of the commandments - I think George Carlin actually did a bit on this in his ten commandments piece - that there are really only two commandments. Something like, Do not steal covers murder and envy, to the effect of you are STEALING another person's right to be alive and you are stealing another person's happiness if you envy and act on your envy...
Stealing could cover slavery - Do not steal the freedom from your fellow man.
Also, iirc, there are a lot of laws about indentured servants, about how you can only keep them seven years, and laws about slavery and how you should treat your slaves

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I personally think that "Do not steal" covers a lot of the commandments - I think George Carlin actually did a bit on this in his ten commandments piece - that there are really only two commandments. Something like, Do not steal covers murder and envy, to the effect of you are STEALING another person's right to be alive and you are stealing another person's happiness if you envy and act on your envy...
Stealing could cover slavery - Do not steal the freedom from your fellow man.
Also, iirc, there are a lot of laws about indentured servants, about how you can only keep them seven years, and laws about slavery and how you should treat your slaves

Good point. big grin

Stealth Moose
Either Leviticus or Deuteronomy has passages on slave owning, indicating in one that, if I recall correctly, it is okay to own slaves so long as they are only from neighboring nations.

So far my attempt to lure Canadians with Labatt's and maple syrup has failed.

Shakyamunison
Either Leviticus or Deuteronomy has passages on slave owning, indicating in one that, if I recall correctly, it is okay to own slaves so long as they are only from neighboring nations.

So far my attempt to lure Canadians with Labatt's and maple syrup has failed. laughing out loud

Lord Lucien
So far my attempt to lure Canadians with Labatt's and maple syrup has failed. Fool. Our supplies are plenty. Your meagre offerings do not sate our mighty cravings.

Stealth Moose
How about some American quarters? They're generally heavier and prettier than your own.

siriuswriter
You've gotta offer something they DON'T have, Stealth Moose. smile Like, rudeness... or... proper cuss words. no expression

Stealth Moose
I can relate to snow. Maybe that'll help?

http://cdnexpat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/canadian-trap.jpg

Shakyamunison
I can relate to snow. Maybe that'll help?

http://cdnexpat.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/canadian-trap.jpg

Wait, that a Canadian beer! laughing out loud

Stealth Moose
Yeah, with the exception of Sam Adams, ours is water in comparison.

Shakyamunison
Yeah, with the exception of Sam Adams, ours is water in comparison.

What about Black Butte Porter?

Stealth Moose
Neve tried it.

Shakyamunison
Neve tried it.

What? Do you like dark beer?

Lord Lucien
Joke's on you: I don't drink beer. Liquor all the way.

Stealth Moose
You are a traitor to your people.

Lord Lucien
Lucky for me they're all too polite to call me out on it.

Shakyamunison
Ok, so, slavery is not part of the ten commandments. What else is missing?

siriuswriter
How 'bout any violent action that doesn't end in death?

Shakyamunison
How 'bout any violent action that doesn't end in death?

Your right assault and battery is not included. thumb up

siriuswriter
I was thinking more like attempted murder. Like, so the dude is still alive. Good job for the perpetrator, they'd have only been fingered if the victim was actually dead. Or rape. Cause, you know, Israelites needed to build up the number of people in their religion.

Shakyamunison
I was thinking more like attempted murder. Like, so the dude is still alive. Good job for the perpetrator, they'd have only been fingered if the victim was actually dead. Or rape. Cause, you know, Israelites needed to build up the number of people in their religion.

Unfortunately, rape would fall under #10 or #8 because an unmarried woman would be the property of her father. Now, incest in also not in there.

Jynocidus

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Jynocidus
slavery is in the bible.

Yes, then why is it not part of the Ten Commandments? Your not saying the God sanctions slavery?

Jynocidus
Slavery isn't part of the 10 commandments. When people steer away from the 10 commandments, things like slavery and disease follow.

Shakyamunison
Slavery isn't part of the 10 commandments. When people steer away from the 10 commandments, things like slavery and disease follow.

What? That doesn't make any sense. So, if you don't follow the 10 commandments then slavery will exist? But slavery existed at the time of the 10 commandments. The Jews, according to the bible, were slaves. You would think the first thing on the list would have been NO SLAVES!

Maybe the Jews were never slaves, and slavery was considered to be a good thing.

Stealth Moose
I think he means to say that because people don't follow the ten commandments, disease and slavery results. Or something.

Jynocidus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkYSji0yUs

angel

Shakyamunison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkYSji0yUs

angel

No. Please no. I will not go view any YouTube videos. If you have something to say, then take the time and write out your point. I don't want to hear what somebody else, that cannot be debated, has to say.

Jynocidus
It'll be quicker if you listen to him at around 28 minutes. There's all the slavery you want, right there. Scriptures quoted and everything.

Shakyamunison
It'll be quicker if you listen to him at around 28 minutes. There's all the slavery you want, right there. Scriptures quoted and everything.

You are not getting the point, are you? We can skip that part. A lot of people use a Video, not as a tool, but as a shield. Then, they never have to take responsibility for anything they say. I'm not saying that you are doing that. I just wanted you to understand my point of view. Watching the video puts me at a disadvantage. I have no reason to watch it.

Jynocidus
Well. I don't want to debate, there's nothing to debate about the truth. Maybe someone else will debate with you, I just wanted to answer your question relating to slavery in the bible.

The video is very insightful, despite the fact that it may offend some. It could give you a perspective regarding your curiosity.

siriuswriter
No. Please no. I will not go view any YouTube videos. If you have something to say, then take the time and write out your point. I don't want to hear what somebody else, that cannot be debated, has to say.

YEAH!! Shaky politely rebels!!

Omega Vision
Very simple. The Ten Commandments were created as a form of social control--they were meant to apply to relations of Hebrews among other Hebrews, hence why there's no contradiction when God commands the Hebrews to slaughter enemy tribes to the last infant. Slavery was part of the Hebrew social order, so banning it would be as strange as God banning brushing our teeth in this culture.

The more glaring omission is the lack of a "Thou Shalt Not Rape"

Shakyamunison
Well. I don't want to debate, there's nothing to debate about the truth. Maybe someone else will debate with you, I just wanted to answer your question relating to slavery in the bible.

The video is very insightful, despite the fact that it may offend some. It could give you a perspective regarding your curiosity.

If the video is going to offend, then I don't want to see it. I don't like being exposed to evil.

Stealth Moose
YEAH!! Shaky politely rebels!!

Right? I'm tired of people throwing youtube videos at me too. Either own up to your words or move on. The intent is to debate, not just pretend it's evident and hide behind youtube. I mean, I almost never click on the links. It's useless.

Jynocidus
If the video is going to offend, then I don't want to see it. I don't like being exposed to evil.

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that. I believe you not to find the Bible reliable, and if that's true, you're probably already evil so you might as well just look.

If not, it won't expose you to evil. It'll expose evil to you.

Stealth Moose
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that. I believe you not to find the Bible reliable, and if that's true, you're probably already evil so you might as well just look.

http://www.gorestruly.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tommy-lee-wtf-meme-generator-i-m-sorry-but-did-i-just-miss-something-aa7d52.jpg

Shakyamunison

Wow! Who made you judge? Do you get a lot of converts talking to people like that?

What I said was a joke. If you have something that would offence people on this forum, then its probably illegal. At least I thought it was funny.

Stealth Moose
You don't believe in the Bible, Shaky. You are evil.

GIT BEHIND ME SATAN

Shakyamunison
You don't believe in the Bible, Shaky. You are evil.

GIT BEHIND ME SATAN

I told you NOT to bring that dog. You know how dyslectic he is.

Shakyamunison
@Jynocidus

Learn how to write for yourself, or perhaps you should find religion. Maybe that would help place a loving heart in that chest of yours.

Lord Lucien
Chests are for the devil. Jyno owns a trunk.

Stealth Moose
According to Captain Morgan, the Devil's Cut comes in barrels. You lose.

Shakyamunison
According to Captain Morgan, the Devil's Cut comes in barrels. You lose.

I've got to try some of that.

m317
I believe siruswriter is probably right on the Old Testament slavery.
In the New Testament-"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, NEITHER SLAVE NOR FREE. . .for you are all one in Christ Jesus". Galatians 3:28

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by m317
I believe siruswriter is probably right on the Old Testament slavery.
In the New Testament-"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, NEITHER SLAVE NOR FREE. . .for you are all one in Christ Jesus". Galatians 3:28

So, the ten commandments don't really matter any more?

Stealth Moose
Christians could never reconcile the touchy-feely Nice Jesus with the wrathful God of the OT that they jocked from the Jews, and then later persecuted.

siriuswriter
When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, he answered "To love your neighbor as you love yourself." Also, iirc, I believe he stated the Beatitudes - you know, the weak shall inherit the earth, the first shall be last and the last shall be the first, etc.
So, Shaky, read into that what you will.

Shakyamunison
When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, he answered "To love your neighbor as you love yourself." Also, iirc, I believe he stated the Beatitudes - you know, the weak shall inherit the earth, the first shall be last and the last shall be the first, etc.
So, Shaky, read into that what you will.

I'm sorry, but what did you want me to do? cool

siriuswriter
Oh, HaHaHaaaa.

Shakyamunison
Oh, HaHaHaaaa.

stick out tongue

Astner
I'd rather be a slave with food and roof over my head than a free man starving in the wilderness.

Stealth Moose
This assumes that the only way you could be in society is to be a slave. Your analogy is bleak.

Astner
This assumes that the only way you could be in society is to be a slave. Your analogy is bleak.
No it doesn't.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Astner
I'd rather be a slave with food and roof over my head than a free man starving in the wilderness.

What is the difference between a well treated slave, and a poorly treated slave?

bluewaterrider
What is the difference between a well treated slave, and a poorly treated slave?

One's well treated.

confused

Is this a trick question?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
One's well treated.

confused

Is this a trick question?

cool

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Astner
No it doesn't.

Honestly, a man starving free in the wild is forsaken by society or is forced to live outside of it to avoid slavery. This is the implication given. If it doesn't, why make the distinction? The analogy doesn't represent reality because it presents two radical extremes.

"I'd rather be the best dressed prostitute on the Strip rather than a solitary leper in a gutter" has similar value as a world-view statement. The first one has little freedom but relative health and comfort, whereas the second has absolute freedom and poor health and comfort. But the truth is most of us wouldn't want to be either one, and neither represents the norm of any sub-culture in society, so why bother?

siriuswriter
Kinda a sad look on human life, isn't it? No grand gestures or "Give me liberty or give me death?" Just "Nope, it's fine, I'll buckle under and take slavery, just feel free to beat me up anytime you feel the whim..."

Stealth Moose
We should have better ideas of our own innate worth.

Shakyamunison
We should have better ideas of our own innate worth.

It seems that most people need to be given worth, not realizing that worth is something we create.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.