Savage Opress Respect Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Alot of people don't actually give Opress the respect he deserves. So i've decided to make a respect thread for him.

Lightsaber Ability

Savage Opress, even as an untrained neophyte, was capable of easily overwhelming jedi master Halsey with his brute strength and skill. Opress then proceeds to kill Halsey's apprentice with a powerful force push.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ri6BwLK6g

Savage Opress in an enraged state was capable of dueling Anakin Skywalker and Obi Wan Kenobi without having a definitive disadvantage. Opress then proceeds to display one of his most impressive force feats, creating a shock wave of force energy to destroy over a dozen droids along with putting Anakin and Obi Wan on their asses.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkn3UBL51g 0:15 for the duel, 0:55 for the shock wave

Opress shows further improvement in being able to dispatch Adi Gallia, a Jedi High Council Member, without too much difficulty.

One of Opress's best saber feats, he defeats Asajj Ventress in lightsaber combat. I say that Opress won because it was made obvious that Opress held an advantage through his physical edge and quickly disarmed Ventress in this fight. Ventress would have ultimately been killed, had Kenobi not given her the 2nd lightsaber she wielded just in time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJiphrbLyg 0:25

Finally, Opress is also capable of defeating Plo Koon (was this mainly saber combat?), and holding out against Sidious for a decent amount of time.

Force Ability

Savage Opress, while a potent lightsaber duelist, is an even more potent force wielder. His raw power outstrips all but a few.

Opress was capable of killing jedi with a single force push: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyYyY8GpCnE 0:45

Here we see Savage force choking Dooku and Ventress simultaneously in a fit of rage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABLCnso1_Ts . 2:30 for the choke, and 2:40 for another display of his power.

Opress, still seething in rage, blasts Kenobi and Anakin back with the force: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOkn3UBL51g 0:07. Further in the video, at 0:55, he sends a powerful shock wave that destroys a little over 1 dozen droids, as well as sending Anakin and Kenobi to the ground.

Physicality/Pain Tolerance

After Opress was transformed into a physical monster, he has shown himself to frequently use his strength to defeat opponents. He also has a very high threshold for pain, being shot dozens of times by blaster bolts, and only having feed his rage.

In one of the previous videos where he sends to powerful shock wave, he is shot from all around by blaster bolts, and is still left standing.

He was shot in the chest by a clone trooper, and never stopped his advance. In the same video, he effortlessly breaks Master Halsey's arm.

In his fight with Ventress, he throws her around multiple times with his brute strength, as well as shrug off her multiple punches and kicks.

So basically im trying to say that Savage Opress is not some fodder apprentice, but rather

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
but rather a very powerful dark side warrior.

The_Tempest
Savage has some cool feats in Death Sentence as well. And he does destroy a Mandalorian prison cell by flexing his arms in "Shades of Reason."

Intrepid37
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Savage has some cool feats in Death Sentence as well. And he does destroy a Mandalorian prison cell by flexing his arms in "Shades of Reason."
Not to mention he became more powerful in S5 as you've said.

DARTH POWER
^ Shades of Reason was Season 5. In fact t was just 1 episode before he died.

But yeah Opress is a bit of a beast. Although I'm not quite certain what level to place him at. Clearly above most Council members though, seeing as he's defeated Adi, Gallia and Plo Koon.

But below Kenobi.

Intrepid37
Maybe.

Petrus
See the trend you've started, Neph?

I'd put Savage slightly below Kenobi.

Nephthys
Savage is an odd fighter. It's hard to place him imo. TBH he's so clumsy and brutish I don't quite understand why any highly skilled duelist can't dance around him. He comes off as a complete amateur in the Sidious and Dooku fights.

He is clearly high-Council level though.

Intrepid37
Savage would beat Bane.

cool

Nephthys
Lmao. Bane would rip his head off.

Petrus
Yeah, Savage's not beating Bane.

Nephthys
Bane beats him as easily as Sidious did.

For one thing, Savage is still defenseless against lightning.

Petrus
For that and many other things.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Nephthys
Savage is an odd fighter. It's hard to place him imo. TBH he's so clumsy and brutish I don't quite understand why any highly skilled duelist can't dance around him. He comes off as a complete amateur in the Sidious and Dooku fights.

Savage underwent some major Worf Effect in the Nightsisters arc and beyond. In "Monster," pre-augmentation Savage was actually a superb warrior. He did fairly well against Ventress in unarmed combat and outlasted his brethren in the trials. Later in the same episode, he holds his own against Halsey skill-wise and then crushes Knox through sheer power. Then, of course, how well he does against Dooku and Anakin/Obi-Wan in "Witches of the Mist."

His stumbling around in "The Lawless" against Sidious was really embarrassing.

He is clearly high-Council level though.

thumb up

I believe Savage could hold his own against any of the High Council bar Yoda (definitely), Mace (probably?), and Anakin (possibly?).

Intrepid37
Lmao. Bane would rip his head off.
How so?

Nephthys
By being better in every single way to him?

Intrepid37
In what ways is he better?

Nephthys
I'd prefer not to argue this in a thread that supposed to be about respecting Opress tbh.

So I'll just say he's faster, more skilled in lightsaber combat, more powerful and has superior Force Mastery and I think I'll leave it at that.

Intrepid37
ok

NewGuy01
Bane beats him as easily as Sidious did.

For one thing, Savage is still defenseless against lightning.

I actually think Maul taught Savage to defend against Lightning. Since, in a scene that was cut out of "The Lawless" because the episode was too long, Savage successfully stopped Sidious's lightning for a limited time with the aid of Maul.

Nephthys
Originally posted by NewGuy01
in a scene that was cut out of "The Lawless"

8^y

S_W_LeGenD
Savage is good but he did not get sufficient time to hone his talents properly. He seems to be high-tier in his era but mid-tier in the mythos holistically.

It shall be noted that Zabraks are physically (biologically) impressive by default.

Also, didn't Mother Talzin improved the physical abilities of Savage with her sorcery before handing him over to the Count?

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Also, didn't Mother Talzin improved the physical abilities of Savage with her sorcery before handing him over to the Count?

Yes. That's basically what made him such a physical tank.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
He seems to be high-tier in his era but mid-tier in the mythos holistically.

If we're considering all the notable names, then yes he will be mid-tier in the mythos.

If we're just considering every Jedi and Sith that exists in the franchise, then he will definitely be high-tier in the mythos, considering he was beating on Jedi Council members in an era of many powerful Jedi.

krompo
Savage doesn't get the respect he deserves but I would remove the bit about sidious. That isn't really a feat as Sidious was clearly toying with him, as shown by:

dodging Savage's swings without even igniting his blade.

dominating the pair in the force before allowing them to recover and engage him in a duel.

Not killing Maul while he was grieving.

The double blade backwards stab to kill Savage.

the book shows Sidious dramatically upped his speed when he wanted to end the fight.

Drastically disproportionate combat feats (Maul and Savage fail to beat Kenobi, Sidious beats three almost Kenobi level warriors in seconds)

If this place is like other forums I am probably beating a dead horse but this and the idea that Mace is on Sidious's level are the two things that irritate me in Star Wars debates.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by krompo
I am probably beating a dead horse

thumb up

Yeah we know that he was toying with Opress.

Stealth Moose
Savage doesn't get the respect he deserves but I would remove the bit about sidious. That isn't really a feat as Sidious was clearly toying with him, as shown by:

dominating the pair in the force before allowing them to recover and engage him in a duel.

the book shows Sidious dramatically upped his speed when he wanted to end the fight.

Drastically disproportionate combat feats (Maul and Savage fail to beat Kenobi, Sidious beats three almost Kenobi level warriors in seconds)

If this place is like other forums I am probably beating a dead horse but this and the idea that Mace is on Sidious's level are the two things that irritate me in Star Wars debates.

Mace is better than Sidious and anyone else who says otherwise is racist.

Lord Lucien
The title of this thread implies that Savage ever deserved respect. Stupid boring characters don't deserve nuffin.

krompo
Originally posted by XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
thumb up

Yeah we know that he was toying with Opress.

OK, I can never be too sure. I have had ridicules debates on this issue in the past.

DARTH POWER

Kind of inappropriate to bring up in a respect thread. Think people here need to have more respect for respect threads.

Aldo Dave Filoni flat out stated that he gives Opress full credit for lasting longer against Sidious than the 3 "almost Kenobi level warriors."

Stealth Moose
Even though they showed zero ability to defend themselves. I've seen first graders do better by comparison since they actually do something. Even wagging their sabers like foam fingers would have been better than nothing.

Nephthys
Hey! Fisto blocked..... a strike. http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-colbert.gif

Stealth Moose
The sad part is that Kit Fisto is a really cool character outside of the third film. He was uber in The Cestus Deception, the CW cartoon, and something else I forget at the moment. That fight scene should have been better. If the four Jedi had like rained down on Sids and he was just too fast or he fooled them with an illusion, then it would have been much much better.

krompo
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Kind of inappropriate to bring up in a respect thread. Think people here need to have more respect for respect threads.

Aldo Dave Filoni flat out stated that he gives Opress full credit for lasting longer against Sidious than the 3 "almost Kenobi level warriors."

This was not an attempt to bash Savage. Personally my favourite character is Kenobi but if someone made a respect thread for him saying that he is better than Anakin based on the ROTS duel I would dispute that.

In retrospect, it was inappropriate for me to include such detail, you are right.

I am not going to respond to that quote because it would derail the thread and I would like to see Savage getting the attention he deserves.

truejedi
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
The sad part is that Kit Fisto is a really cool character outside of the third film. He was uber in The Cestus Deception, the CW cartoon, and something else I forget at the moment. That fight scene should have been better. If the four Jedi had like rained down on Sids and he was just too fast or he fooled them with an illusion, then it would have been much much better.

In my mind, that fight scene from the second Matrix movie where Neo fights ten or twelve henchmen at once is an example of how much better the choreography between one superior combatant, and a number of lesser combatants could have been.

And then Mace and Sidious could have been a little bit more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119rJSY5G0g

Stealth Moose
I like how GL edits stupid stuff like making Han shoot second and adding 25 minutes of puppets dancing in RotJ, but he can't be bothered to touch up atrocious fights.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by truejedi
In my mind, that fight scene from the second Matrix movie where Neo fights ten or twelve henchmen at once is an example of how much better the choreography between one superior combatant, and a number of lesser combatants could have been.

Yeah or they could have done the Sidious vs Maul and Opress type thing.

Originally posted by truejedi
And then Mace and Sidious could have been a little bit more like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119rJSY5G0g

Jeez they look well faster than any of the Jedi in the movies LOL

krompo
The issue with that fight is that Ian McDiamond is an old, Shakespearen actor and is not cut out for fight scenes. I think that they should have contrived a away to give him his injuries before the fight so they could just have used a stunt double.

Stealth Moose
The issue with that fight is that Ian McDiamond is an old, Shakespearen actor and is not cut out for fight scenes. I think that they should have contrived a away to give him his injuries before the fight so they could just have used a stunt double.

They were all set up for the stunt doubles for both Ian and Sammy, and GL decided at the last minute to scrap it. Otherwise, we would have had like Nick Gilliard and the guy who doubled for Dooku fighting in the chancellor's office.

krompo
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
They were all set up for the stunt doubles for both Ian and Sammy, and GL decided at the last minute to scrap it. Otherwise, we would have had like Nick Gilliard and the guy who doubled for Dooku fighting in the chancellor's office.

That would have been so much better.

Instead, what we got was that the duel should have logically been one of the two most impressive in the series based on the quality of the combatants but instead what we got is the worst in the prequels and arguably the worst in the entire saga.

chilled monkey
Alot of people don't actually give Opress the respect he deserves.

Agreed.

Finally, Opress is also capable of defeating Plo Koon (was this mainly saber combat?)

It was. Savage beat Plo by ripping off his respirator mask but prior to that he was matching him pretty much blow-for-blow.

Keep in mind that Maul once stated he'd be wary of having to fight Plo Koon, and Plo has held his own against Ventress with only one working arm.

juyomaster34
Savage Opress....the name says it all....from the aggressively brute Physical strength....
to the beastly growl of his double bladed light saber....imo his training and time in CW was cut too
short.....I personally forsaw him a Master of Shien/Djem So and Juyo....respectfully...

I was saddened when they decided to kill him...Darth Maul,imo had trully earned his Darth title
when he decided to start a New Rule of Two w/him as master and his brother as apprentice......

he had so much to teach his brother from Juyo to Niman to Teras Kasi.......and The Dark Side
of the Force. The fight with Plo Koon...was this in the Comics or CW?

which episode or which Comic?

Savage Opress....had so much potential....instead of seeing Maul and Savage Opress as rivals ..
Sidious should have seen them as his first emperor's hands....or Sith Warrior and Sith Assassin...

Lord Maul and Savage Opress....always had my respect....they are and always will be in my top
10....A well deserved thread...to a warrior whose only light saber growled when ignited.....
If I could only have his light saber in my collection......R.I.P. young warrior...you will never be
forgotten......

NewGuy01
IIRC Plo and Savage didn't really fight. Koon jumped in front of Savage to save a Clone he had deflected a shot at, and Savage just ripped off his respirator mask.

DARTH POWER
^ No. They did really fight. And Savage just won. End of.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by NewGuy01
IIRC Plo and Savage didn't really fight. Koon jumped in front of Savage to save a Clone he had deflected a shot at, and Savage just ripped off his respirator mask.

Nope, they did really fight. Prior to ripping off the respirator there were several panels of Savage and Plo trading blows.

Originally posted by juyomaster34
Savage Opress....the name says it all....from the aggressively brute Physical strength....
to the beastly growl of his double bladed light saber....imo his training and time in CW was cut too
short.....I personally forsaw him a Master of Shien/Djem So and Juyo....respectfully...

I was saddened when they decided to kill him...Darth Maul,imo had trully earned his Darth title
when he decided to start a New Rule of Two w/him as master and his brother as apprentice......

he had so much to teach his brother from Juyo to Niman to Teras Kasi.......and The Dark Side
of the Force. The fight with Plo Koon...was this in the Comics or CW?

which episode or which Comic?

It was in the comic "The Sith Hunters." Here is a link which has scans of the fight.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/savage-opress-vs-plo-koon-704832/

Originally posted by juyomaster34
Savage Opress....had so much potential....instead of seeing Maul and Savage Opress as rivals ..
Sidious should have seen them as his first emperor's hands....or Sith Warrior and Sith Assassin...

Lord Maul and Savage Opress....always had my respect....they are and always will be in my top
10....A well deserved thread...to a warrior whose only light saber growled when ignited.....
If I could only have his light saber in my collection......R.I.P. young warrior...you will never be
forgotten......

Agreed completely.

Besides his impressive power and skill I thought Savage was a fascinating character. Before the ritual that transformed him he seemed like he had a noble heart and as I saw it, the ritual didn't erase his innate nobility, just eclipsed it. Over time we saw hints of his true nature, especially with his relationship with his brother.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.