Pre-Flashpoint Superman Vs DCnU Ultraman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
Who wins?

Pillow Biter
Superman has always exhibited a wide range of power levels tailored to the story. Ultraman is showing the high end of that range, and is more powerful than Superman is in most stories. But if you put them together in the same story, it seems likely Superman will rise to the occasion.

The one caveat is if they specifically tell us the CSA members are somehow more powerful than their counterparts. Seems unlikely, but is possible.

Cogito
As per usual, Ultraman would win a first encounter and Superman the second.

Zack Fair
Pre Flashpoint owns.

Pillow Biter
IS there a general feeling that New 52 characters are not, in general, as powerful as pre-reboot versions? Or perhaps just Superman in particular?

Golgo13
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
IS there a general feeling that New 52 characters are not, in general, as powerful as pre-reboot versions? Or perhaps just Superman in particular?

Not really. Some are more powerful, while others aren't.

Pillow Biter
What about Superman in particular?

Golgo13
Probably less durable, but stronger and equally as fast.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Golgo13
Probably less durable, but stronger and equally as fast.
Not true.

Pillow Biter
Sweet drive-by posting Abhil. Care to elaborate?

Zack Fair
It is the same as current Supes vs Thor and Surfer. He has demonstrated feats to warrant him being their weight class, but the sheer number of feats they have give them the definitve advantage and win. Same goes with Pre-Flashpoint Superman. He may not have Earith bench pressing for 5 days feats, but he has moved the earth with Hal jordan's help and has numerous other ridiculous unquantifiable strength feats under his belt. Not to mention a shitload of speed feats and is indeed the more durable version. And I won't get started on all the training and all the crazy shit he has done with his powers.

ares834
See I just don't really see it that way. Sure Pre-Flashpoint Superman has far more high end feats. But he also has far more low feats as well. If you take the average, the two seem pretty damn close.

Pillow Biter
You can't compare two characters in the same universe by trying to compare objective empirical measurements of their feats.

Therefore, you can't compare characters in different companies by comparing their individual feats in that way.

The best you can do when dealing with two companies is to compare the feats of different characters of comparable status in the two universes, to get an idea if they universes share a similar overall power level. If they do, then you can compare how two characters in different companies perform relative to their peer group.

It almost never makes much sense to start trying to measure huge feats and then compare them. Writers don't put that much thought into it.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
Sweet drive-by posting Abhil. Care to elaborate?
Post-flashpoint superman has one high feat and is reduced to just another class 100 hero. He isn't anything special among his peers. Pre-flashpoint superman would've pushed people like Ocean Master's shit in. Johns is using him as a punching bag to wank his own characters like Aquaman, Adam, Cap and to some extent wonder woman. There is some character stronger than superman every other week. I'm waiting for Johns to leave JL titles, even Kelly and Mcduffie didn't nerf superman like this.

Zack Fair
Then you remember how Pre-Flashpoint Superman is older, has much more experience. Has been trained by Batman, Mongul. Knows Torquasm Rao and Torqasm Vo. Knows how to apply pressure points. Has superior knowledge on how to utilize his speed such as going intangible and invisible. Has done insane shit with his heat vision.

Then you realize he would whoop that ass.

abhilegend
Originally posted by ares834
See I just don't really see it that way. Sure Pre-Flashpoint Superman has far more high end feats. But he also has far more low feats as well. If you take the average, the two seem pretty damn close.
You can compare by how they are treated among their peers.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Then you remember how Pre-Flashpoint Superman is older, has much more experience. Has been trained by Batman, Mongul. Knows Torquasm Rao and Torqasm Vo. Knows how to apply pressure points. Has superior knowledge on how to utilize his speed such as going intangible and invisible. Has done insane shit with his heat vision.

Even without all that shit, he's just more imposing than this post flashpoint version. Even his teammates were in his awe most of the time. Superman was special and damn near anybody knew that. Johns never liked that though.

Pillow Biter
True. But New 52 has pretty consistently alluded to Superman having hidden reserves of power to a degree most other heroes don't. They haven't really delved into the mechanics of that extra gear the way different writers did pre-reboot, though. And while it is only lip service, he has received pretty good lip service in the New 52, with him being called the most powerful quite a lot.

ares834
Originally posted by abhilegend
You can compare by how they are treated among their peers.

Seems pretty equal on that regard.

Originally posted by Zack Fair

Not really seeing it. I'd definitely five "old" Superman the nod over all, but like I said earlier they seem pretty close over all. In fact, DCnU Superman certainly seems to have the edge in raw strength.

abhilegend
Originally posted by ares834
Seems pretty equal on that regard.

Not really seeing it. I'd definitely five "old" Superman the nod over all, but like I said earlier they seem pretty close over all. In fact, DCnU Superman certainly seems to have the edge in raw strength.
Like against who?

Mindset
Supes

Mr.SunKing
Eh, I would just like to add that Post-flash point has the potential to superpass his pre-flashpoint counterpart in the abilities category. They're more so exploring the abilities kryptonians may exhibit under different classed stars, such as matter manipulation and telepathy,plus temporal manipulation. I remember pre-flashpoint stated that blue suns would granted supes "super-vision" which allows him to bestow kryptonian powers upon others. However nu-52 appears to grant a wider range (given He'ls introduction)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.