Would't Saber skills go hand to hand with Force strength in general?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Merchant
Like say if Jedi A can destroy 2 droids with a force push, and Jedi B does the same but with his saber instead and they both do it with no difficulty whatsoever, and then they fought, would they be equal? Or would A win because he/she did it with a force attack rather than a saber?

chilled monkey
Beg your pardon but no, they wouldn't.

Being strong with the Force doesn't automatically mean you're a great swordsman (with Luke Skywalker being an exception). You could be good with using the Force but your talents may be in a different area than combat.

Also regarding your comparison, in a straight-up fight, I'd put my money on the better duellist, i.e. Jedi B. Unlike droids, most Jedi can block or counter Force attacks. A lightsabre will cut through a flesh and blood opponent as easily as a droid.

Q99
You can be as strong in the force as you want, without muscle memory and intuitive understanding of saber tactics you can still be in trouble.

Now, many strong force users pick these up fast, but you can see force users less powerful in the force still be saber prodigies of massive skill, and powerful force users who aren't very good with saber.

Nephthys
I'd say it depends upon how powerful we're talking about. At low levels, the lightsaber duelist will have the clear advantage, as the Force-wielder will be too weak to stop them and the lightsaber will simply be more effective.

At higher levels though, the Force becomes an insurmountable advantage imo.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
nox

Q99
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'd say it depends upon how powerful we're talking about. At low levels, the lightsaber duelist will have the clear advantage, as the Force-wielder will be too weak to stop them and the lightsaber will simply be more effective.

At higher levels though, the Force becomes an insurmountable advantage imo.

Though consider Raskta Lsu, or even General Grievous.

If a saber foe is sufficiently fast and strong, it can be pretty hard to stop them in the force.

Nephthys
Lsu was noted to have weak force defenses though. Bane tore through them like paper and she only survived with Farfalla's help.

Someone equally as good as her, but with the Force, could beat her imo. Perhaps. As I said, it depends on how powerful we're talking.

Q99
Originally posted by Nephthys
Lsu was noted to have weak force defenses though. Bane tore through them like paper and she only survived with Farfalla's help.

Someone equally as good as her, but with the Force, could beat her imo. Perhaps. As I said, it depends on how powerful we're talking.

Yes, but Bane was someone who had force and saber. Could someone with Bane's force power but weaker in saber skill survive long enough to beat her using the force? Like Farfalla, let's say, who was strong enough in force to defend against Bane just fine but was much less in saber.

Nephthys
Farfalla wasn't strong enough to defend against Bane. At one point Bane unleashes his lightning at him and Farfalla notes that he's fvcked until Lsu jumps in and blocks the lightning (I don't even know how that ****ing works erm).

And I'd say yes. Lsu would never make it into lightsaber range in that scenario because she'd get forcepwned.

Lord Lucien
If A is stronger with the Force than B to a great enough extent, then A can utilize it as a ranged attacked, even if B is a far superior duelist.

S_W_LeGenD
Strength in the Force is an important asset for any Force-user, irrespective of how a Force-user hones his talents.

You will notice that Force-users with impressive mastery of the Force, are very capable warriors as well. Some examples: Revan, Bersen'thor, Nyriss and Satele. While these individuals may not be as proficient in martial aspects of combat as lets say Kas'im but they will punk him.

However, a Force-user who is great in all aspects, is virtually unstoppable. Some examples: HoT and Luke.

Q99
Often but not always.

There's Jedi who are strong in the force but much less martial than those three.

Many of the major Jedi we know are all-arounders, and famous in part because they are all-around good.

However, there's also Arca Jeth, who actively distained lightsaber use, there's Odan-Urr, who used battle meditation and sever force but spent little time with a saber, and similar.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Q99
Often but not always.

There's Jedi who are strong in the force but much less martial than those three.

Many of the major Jedi we know are all-arounders, and famous in part because they are all-around good.

However, there's also Arca Jeth, who actively distained lightsaber use, there's Odan-Urr, who used battle meditation and sever force but spent little time with a saber, and similar.

Exactly.

Put simply it depends upon the individuals in question and how big the difference in power/skill actually is.

In the case of say, Palpatine vs. Raskta Lsu, sabre skill wouldn't even be a factor unless Palpatine felt like it. If he wanted he could just squash Lsu instantly with the Force.

Overall though Kas'im got it right when he said, "Someone well-trained in lightsaber combat can defeat an oponent who is stronger in the Force."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.