Is Christianity really a pagan religion?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Okieshowedem
According to the information we can read here it is very much a pagan religion.
Rev.12:9 states that Satan has deceived the whole world, this includes the Christians too.
Come to think about it , the Scriptures say that The Heavenly Father is not the author of confusion.
What could be more confusing than to have all those brands of the Christian religion teaching that they are the one with the truth.
How can this be when they are so very different in the doctrines?

http://www.yahweh.com/htmls/12-2013-PW/12-2013pw.html
What do you believe?

Okie

Omega Vision
Pretty sure "Pagan" is a term that designates non-Christian/pre-Christian European religions, so Christianity would be by definition not Pagan.

siriuswriter
You may be thinking of how most Christian holidays are on what were previously known as pagan holidays.

Emperor Constantine - when he became Christian, and he wanted people to convert, he put the new Christian holidays on the Sun God's holidays so that it would be easier to remember. Of course, this was also the same guy who said that the Messiah could be only man OR divine, and not both.... which later comes a big issue that Christians deal with even today.

Lord Lucien
It certainly developed out of Pagan religions, but by definition of the word, it's not.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
It certainly developed out of Pagan religions, but by definition of the word, it's not.

There is nothing pagan about Christianity.

Christ instituted His church (i.e. His called out ones).

He originated its doctrine which He heard, learned, and saw from His Father.

We are simply disciples, followers, believers of/in the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Followers of Christ and His Word were contemptuously referred to as Christians.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive

We are simply disciples, followers, believers of/in the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Just like Catholics. stick out tongue

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

Response 2 posts that way ^

Shakyamunison

Pagan is a word created by Christians to describe non-Christians. It usually meant we are going to kill you. So, us pagan don't like the word. It is kind of like the N word.

Stealth Moose
Sidestepping semantics, Christianity has a lot of pagan roots, influences, and so on. Just ask Lillith, Ba'al, or Beezlbub.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Sidestepping semantics, Christianity has a lot of pagan roots, influences, and so on. Just ask Lillith, Ba'al, or Beezlbub.

They took the gods of the people they conquered, and made then subject of the Christian god. That makes the people who worshiped those gods subjects to Christianity.

Stealth Moose
You know, no one conquers a people and forces them to wear certain hats or eat eggs with ketchup. Why do people forcibly convert others to their religion?

Shakyamunison
You know, no one conquers a people and forces them to wear certain hats or eat eggs with ketchup. Why do people forcibly convert others to their religion?

Fear of death. If no one is a Christian, then Christianity is a dead religion. That seems counter to their superiority complex, but that is the driving force. You don't want satan to win even though there is no way for satan to win.

Lord Lucien
You know, no one conquers a people and forces them to wear certain hats or eat eggs with ketchup. Why do people forcibly convert others to their religion? Apparently it's easier to control the masses when they consider you a chosen embodiment of their deity/creed. If only someone told the Persians or Mongols that. They loved them some religious tolerance.

siriuswriter

I love that you don't know the history of your own religion. smile

Digi
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I love that you don't know the history of your own religion. smile

Heh. I get the same feeling sometimes when I see ignorance, but it's actually more terrifying and sad than anything. A big shift in my mentality occurred when I stopped seeing potentially harmful ignorance as amusing and started seeing it as deplorable.

siriuswriter
Oh, believe me. I smile only because I don't want to cry...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
They took the gods of the people they conquered, and made then subject of the Christian god. That makes the people who worshiped those gods subjects to Christianity.
It was actually worse than that. The process you describe was one in use by the Romans and Persians, but in Christianity, the gods of the Caanites weren't just demoted, they were made into demons.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It was actually worse than that. The process you describe was one in use by the Romans and Persians, but in Christianity, the gods of the Caanites weren't just demoted, they were made into demons.

thumb up

Originally posted by Digi
Heh. I get the same feeling sometimes when I see ignorance, but it's actually more terrifying and sad than anything. A big shift in my mentality occurred when I stopped seeing potentially harmful ignorance as amusing and started seeing it as deplorable. Originally posted by siriuswriter
Oh, believe me. I smile only because I don't want to cry...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mad1semOv61qhmhq2o1_500.gif

And yes, a lot of fundamentalist evangelical Christians are totally ignorant about Christian history, but what do you expect from a sect that teaches coercion and conversion is a virtue?

Shakyamunison
They also disconnect themselves from the hideous past of Christianity by saying that Catholics are not Christians.

siriuswriter
Welp, sorry, but the term "Christian" means someone who believe that Jesus Christ was resurrected, that he did it as a sacrifice to the human race, and that he was God on earth.

... Which makes Catholics Christians.

Shakyamunison
Welp, sorry, but the term "Christian" means someone who believe that Jesus Christ was resurrected, that he did it as a sacrifice to the human race, and that he was God on earth.

... Which makes Catholics Christians.

JIA is adamant that they are not. I have tried to enlighten him, but he will not listen.

siriuswriter
Well, we know better, don't we...

Shakyamunison
Well, we know better, don't we...

Absolutely! There are types of Buddhism that are really strange and have more in common with magic then modern Buddhism, but they are still Buddhists.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.