Why do people hate Iron Man 3?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
Loads of people seem to really have a problm with the new Iron Man film, & I really don't get it. I thought it was amazing! The best of all the MCU. Some have even gone far enough to say that IM2 was better than IM3.

The Sorrow
It's seems like mostly comic nerds who say this imo, because they want it to be too much like the comics instead of approaching the film with an open mind. All my friends who have seen it (and aren't into comics like I am) enjoyed the film.

I personally really liked IM 3, probably even more than the 2nd. It was funny throughout, had good action, more Tony, Mandarin twist was hilarious, genuine threat, decent story etc. It wasn't on the level of Avengers but still a very enjoyable film imo. Oh and I've never really paid attention to her before but Gwyneth P is hot lol.

-Pr-
It was more disappointing than bad.

You can call me a comic nerd if you like, but I thought the handling of the Mandarin was just bad, and had this been someone like Magneto, people would have caused a larger shit-storm over it.

I get that not as many people care about the Mandarin, but hell, it's the principle of the thing, and it's not called a slippery slope for nothing.

Kazenji
Glad Marvel Studio's is redeeming themselves with the Mandarin, From the sounds of things it might be one of them One-shot short films on a blu-ray.

janus77
Originally posted by The Sorrow
It's seems like mostly comic nerds who say this imo, because they want it to be too much like the comics instead of approaching the film with an open mind. All my friends who have seen it (and aren't into comics like I am) enjoyed the film.

I personally really liked IM 3, probably even more than the 2nd. It was funny throughout, had good action, more Tony, Mandarin twist was hilarious, genuine threat, decent story etc. It wasn't on the level of Avengers but still a very enjoyable film imo. Oh and I've never really paid attention to her before but Gwyneth P is hot lol.
^this

Next to Avengers and The Incredible Hulk, this is my favourite Marvel Studios movie. IM2 was a huge disappointment though.

janus77
Originally posted by -Pr-
It was more disappointing than bad.

You can call me a comic nerd if you like, but I thought the handling of the Mandarin was just bad, and had this been someone like Magneto, people would have caused a larger shit-storm over it.

I get that not as many people care about the Mandarin, but hell, it's the principle of the thing, and it's not called a slippery slope for nothing.
The Mandarin just isn't a very good villain, as far as the comic-book original goes.

Quite a camp figure with his rings and Fu-Manchu ways... Wouldn't work at all. What they did instead was to create something very interesting and in Trevor, very, very funny.

Kazenji
His more recent appearance from Fraction's run would've worked alot better, He didn't look so much like a caricature from his original appearance.

-Pr-
He wouldn't be the first comic book villain that appeared a bit silly in the comics, only to be given a makeover for the big screen.

The trevor scenes were funny, if a bit patronising, I thought.

Bentley
People hate IM3 because they hate fun.

/thread.

janus77
Originally posted by Bentley
People hate IM3 because they hate fun.

/thread.
Or Gwenyth Paltrow confused.

Firefly218
It was an enjoyable movie. I didn't like how Tony was only angry for a few seconds when the love of his life pepper fell off the building. Would of been an aweSome revenge fight.
the movie didn't take itself very seriously and that kind of hurt it.

the ninjak
The Ironman film series is taking the dumb path. When I found out the 3rd film would be based on Extremis I was excited but in the end the film kept Tony stark at a weak level, which ignored the actual source material.

I base this on Downey Jr telling the writers to give Pepper Potts a more aggressive role in the film and the fact the writers lack any real vision.

And the Mandarin should have been left out until the fourth film. Where Ironman actually displayed the abilities to fight such a foe worthy of the character. But they made the right choice considering the situation at hand.
Being current film Ironman being just a man in a tin suit and the Mandarin we all wanted being a character that would crush him in an instant.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Firefly218

the movie didn't take itself very seriously and that kind of hurt it.

thumb up

Cogito
The best comic book movies, in my opinion, focus on character development first and foremost. That's what made the first Iron Man so successful. It had tons of development and just a little action in the beginning and end. Iron Man 2 still had a decent amount of character development, but pushed action and explosions more than the first and suffered somewhat for it. Iron Man 3 tried to have some character development by pushing the post-Avengers PTSD stuff, but honestly I found that forced, out of character, and ultimately annoying. Then the absurd amount of action really didn't help things. It's not that Iron Man 3 was bad, it just wasn't very good.

I feel the same way about Man of Steel, for anyone interested. The previews showed so much potential for character development and relationships, and then the real movie was just an action-laden wreck.

Oh and the change of directors disrupted the feel and continuity, IMO.

The Sorrow
Originally posted by Cogito
I feel the same way about Man of Steel, for anyone interested. The previews showed so much potential for character development and relationships, and then the real movie was just an action-laden wreck.

Oh and the change of directors disrupted the feel and continuity, IMO.
thumb up Me too.

Most people that I know literally skip the first hour after the Krypton scene. Superman Returns was basically the opposite, too much story not enough punch.

Mshinu
I just found it boring tbh, felt like some hospital drama show with a few armors and burning supersoldiers thrown in. Don`t think there is one single memorable moment in the whole film actually, yawn. About the Mandarin twist tho I did not really mind that.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by janus77
Or Gwenyth Paltrow confused.

THIS. This is why I didn't like it. It was pretty amusing right up until super powered Pepper showed up, then I'm pretty sure I was shouting "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..." all the way until the end of the movie.

Badabing
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Loads of people seem to really have a problm with the new Iron Man film, & I really don't get it. I thought it was amazing! The best of all the MCU. Some have even gone far enough to say that IM2 was better than IM3. Most of the complaints I've heard/read are about the Mandarin and the lack of the actual Iron Man.

I liked the movie.

Tzeentch
People hate it because it sucked and its plot was stupid as hell.

That seems fairly obvious.

COG Veteran
Shane Black essentially turned this film into another Lethal Weapon movie. It never got or could hold my attention.

Shabazz916
if they did then mandarin and extremis right the movie could of been epic.. but they choose to mess it all up

Dreampanther
I hate being misled about movies. mad

If they had called this movie The Adventures of Tony Stark, I would have been fine with it. But when I sit down to watch a film about a guy in an armoured suit battle baddies, and then have to sit and watch some rich guy crawl around on the ground pretending he is Rambo, I feel taken advantage of.

That's my answer, short and simple. erm

DrDeadpool
I loved the movie , and I'm a Huge Iron man fan in comics.

Firefly218
The movie was made well. People may not like its plot or ideas, but it was well-made.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.