How close to skyfather level is Thanos?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blue Area Vet
Thanos's depictions have consistently been higher than Herald. Back in the day, many power ups ago, he soundly defeated Drax the Destroyer who was designed to beat him. The same Drax that ripped out the core of a star and destroyed a planetoid. He DOMINATED Silver Surfer like few if any have every ton and Surfer is an elite herald. He beat the Beyonders ass in a psi battle and did so from a distance while barely breaking a sweat. More recently he was able to defeat Lord Marvel who easily handled the Magus. And of course in the current Infinity arch, completely tanked Black Bolt's scream taking 4 to the dome and eventually covering his mouth and dumping him.

So my question is, who do you put along side him, or is he in his own unique category?

Estacado
Like 3 inches....biscuits

Bentley
Not close at all.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Bentley
Not close at all.

Beat me to it, wanted to post exactly the same thing thumb up

Prof. T.C McAbe
He is a solid Trans, at best a lower Skyfather but Trans in general.

roughrider
He's halfway between herald and skyfather level, maybe a little more. He certainly looked better in his fight against Odin than Hulk did against Zeus - even though Odin was b**ch-slapping him the whole fight and none of his attacks made Odin flinch. (Goes to show just how much Zeus trashed Hulk...)

dmills
Knocking at the door. Hell, he might be in it.

StiltmanFTW
low street at best

Bouboumaster
He's already in the house

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
low street at best

Thinking about the NYPD? Yeah you might be right hmm

The Sorrow
Thanos is trans. He generally doesn't have the versatility or power to match characters who are in the skyfather tier. A lot of the time they are also backed by their own pocket dimensions/universes.

Digi
We never bothered to break Trans. into three categories like the other tiers. It was deemed too tough a task, since creating clear division lines between tiers is always a hard task.

But say we did. If pressed, most would place him in the middle or high categories of Trans. Frankly, there's a few who belong there but aren't at the level of many of the others, and those characters would make up "low Trans." if it existed.

Also complicating the matter is the fact that Trans. was originally created to go up to but not including Odin. So, technically, actual Skyfathers would be in Trans. if we bothered to label them, since Odin generally represents the top Skyfather. So the still-hypothetical "High Trans." might actually include legit Skyfathers, if we were that exacting about the levels. And there's a couple near the top of Trans. that probably WOULD give even the All-Father a run for his money, to say nothing of lesser Skyfathers.

So not terribly far, is the answer. He's fought Odin after all...looked worse off, but held his own. So there's a precedent.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Bentley
Not close at all.

dial J for Josh
low street at best

This is extremely ignorant to say. If you are going by Thanos getting arrested by the NYPD, that is not a low showing at all. Everyone knows that cops are beings above abstract level. You don't f--- with the police.

One-Punch
Originally posted by dmills
Knocking at the door. Hell, he might be in it.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Estacado

laughing

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by dial J for Josh
This is extremely ignorant to say. If you are going by Thanos getting arrested by the NYPD, that is not a low showing at all. Everyone knows that cops are beings above abstract level. You don't f--- with the police.

I never seen a trans riding a helicopter eek! evil face

Digi
Originally posted by Estacado

I lul'd

Blue Area Vet
Beat me to it, wanted to post exactly the same thing thumb up

So, if Odin took on Lord Marvel, he would get the same results? He would take down the leader of a universe?

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Digi
We never bothered to break Trans. into three categories like the other tiers. It was deemed too tough a task, since creating clear division lines between tiers is always a hard task.

But say we did. If pressed, most would place him in the middle or high categories of Trans. Frankly, there's a few who belong there but aren't at the level of many of the others, and those characters would make up "low Trans." if it existed.

Also complicating the matter is the fact that Trans. was originally created to go up to but not including Odin. So, technically, actual Skyfathers would be in Trans. if we bothered to label them, since Odin generally represents the top Skyfather. So the still-hypothetical "High Trans." might actually include legit Skyfathers, if we were that exacting about the levels. And there's a couple near the top of Trans. that probably WOULD give even the All-Father a run for his money, to say nothing of lesser Skyfathers.

So not terribly far, is the answer. He's fought Odin after all...looked worse off, but held his own. So there's a precedent.

I have a question. What he hell is "trans?" I get it's some sort of team buster type category, but I don't understand the name.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
I have a question. What he hell is "trans?" I get it's some sort of team buster type category, but I don't understand the name.

I googled trans and this is what it came up laughing

https://www.google.com/search?q=trans&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS441US441&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=BNaUUp64JMSVrgHS3IHgCQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=988

But seriously, there should be a team wrecker tier between Herald and trans

Estacado
Trans is a woman with a d1ck.

Digi

The limits - in the original tiers - were "above Surfer, below Odin." So there's your range. It may be interpreted slightly differently these days.

It literally stands for Transcendent. The forum wasn't always so knowledgeable. We had to make up a vocabulary as we went along. Scans were barely a rumor before about 2005, and we had no names for the tiers until we finally decided to set them down. Somebody settled on Transcendent for the tier and it stuck. Now it's just so ingrained in the forum vocabulary that it's unlikely to ever change, even if it's mostly nonsensical.

DarkSaint85
The forum wasn't always so knowledgeable.

Thanks.

Btw, who would you guys put in his class? Ion 2? SBP? In Marvel, he seems in a class of his own.

Prof. T.C McAbe
^Thor, Surfer, Superman, Hulk at their very best. SBP on average without the GA. HP DD. Most herald-team-busting villains. Just my opinion.

Digi
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Thanks.

Btw, who would you guys put in his class? Ion 2? SBP? In Marvel, he seems in a class of his own.

The tiers thread should answer this sufficiently. There are several from Marvel who qualify.

Those who claim the top heralds should be Trans., as I see quite often around here, might have a fringe case for them being at the lowest end of the tier. But it's usually just a loss of perspective. Peruse the tiers list for Trans. and you'll see that such top heralds would get their asses handed to them, almost across the board.

For an excellent example, KING Thor is in Trans. Any argument for regular Thor to be in Trans. has an uphill climb, I would think.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I would say he's low skyfather already.... IMO it should be high trans or low skyfather... Those seem like the likely choices.

Insane Titan
Ignoring the usual trolls , Thanos at his best is maybe low skyfather but in general he is a solid high trans

Blue Area Vet
I've always referred to him as a "Herald Buster." Team buster never made much sense to me because it depends on the team. Also, any elite herald can be a team buster. He is clearly above any herald, and that's saying a lot.

These are not complete parallels, but in terms of who might be in the general category Thanos is in, I'd say maybe Ion, a mid showing Mangog, a high end Maelstrom and perhaps a few others. The problem is those guys don't have the super human intellect, the resourcefullness, the cunning, the determination, the high end tech, the full understanding of the universe or thie history of Thanos. He's like the Dr. Doom of overloard types, punching outside of what you assume his weight level is.

Digi
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
I would say he's low skyfather already.... IMO it should be high trans or low skyfather... Those seem like the likely choices.

Originally posted by Insane Titan
Ignoring the usual trolls , Thanos at his best is maybe low skyfather but in general he is a solid high trans

Well, these distinctions don't actually exist (see below), but your placement of him seems to be the general consensus.

Ambient
His already @ skyfather me thinks albeit bottom end. 2 cents.

carver9
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi

This.

Inhuman
IYO, How would Thanos fair against another skyfather not named Odin or Zeus? Or better yet how would he fair against a low skyfather.

SamZED
Can you give few examples of low SF? Dormammu maybe?

Hyperion Prime
Dormammu is higher than Odin, Zeus and Mephisto.

Inhuman
Originally posted by SamZED
Can you give few examples of low SF? Dormammu maybe?

well whatever character qualifies for the low sky father tier.
Maybe the grandmaster. The problem with dormammu, mephisto, and others are that they depend on their dimension/universe for their power source. So they can be skyfather leve sure, but pitting someone against them you have to take into account their dimension, etc.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by Inhuman
IYO, How would Thanos fair against another skyfather not named Odin or Zeus? Or better yet how would he fair against a low skyfather. people tend to put Zuras a low skyfather and from I've seen Thanos would best him

Prof. T.C McAbe
What would you guys consider a Watcher to be, like the one Quasar had to put down?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Prof. T.C McAbe
Thinking about the NYPD? Yeah you might be right hmm

That and the fact that even with the Power Gem, he got hurt by Spiderman's kick...

Digi
The Elders are in the Trans. tier as well. Almost anyone that people are putting in the (again, nonexistent) "Low Skyfather" tier are actually already in Trans., or should be. By KMC's tiering system, Trans. goes UP TO Odin, not to the lowest Skyfather. They;ve changed the language to say simply "Skyfather" instead of Odin, but many that would be "Skyfathers" have been grandfathered into the tier over the years.

pym-ftw
We really need to make a new tier thread

Thanos would be among the top of the trans tier so...

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by pym-ftw

This.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Supreme Being
Batman

Abstract
DarkSeid, Robins B-Hole, Hulk Pants

Skyfather
Odin, OWAW Superman

Trans
Poison from Final Fighty
Alan Scott, Hal Jordan

High Herald
Wonder Woman, WB Hulk

Mid Herald
Silver Surfer

Low Herald
Thor

Street level
Daredevil

Thug level
Thanos

biscuits

Digi
Originally posted by pym-ftw

Famous last words. Good luck with that.

TheLordofMurder
You know, I have made several threads where I have created a working (albeit not perfect) list of how the Trans and Skyfather tiers could break down....here it is copy and pasted:

@Digi

I respect your opinion and I guess we agree to disagree as I see nothing wrong with making (for example):

Low Herald: Lowest is Nova (Frankie Raye), Greatest is Jack of Hearts (remember this is all an example)...

Mid Herald: Lowest is Adam Warlock, Greatest is Waverider...

High Herald: Lowest is Quasar, Greatest is either Surfer or Thor...

Low Trans: Lowest is The Collector, Greatest is Mangog...

Mid Trans: Lowest is Blackheart, Greatest is The Runner...

High Trans: Lowest is H/P Doomsday, Greatest is The Grandmaster...

Low Skyfather: Lowest is Thanos, Greatest is Seth (bare with me zopzop!)...

Mid Skyfather: Lowest is Nightmare, Greatest is The Serpent...

High Skyfather: Lowest is Vishnu (from Thor 300), Greatest is Odin...

TheLordofMurder
From the above point, you'd just fill in the blanks for each Tier (and Tier subdivision) with the appropiate characters...

IMHO, this wouldnt be hard to do; sure, people might not agree on certain characters, but we dont do that anyway...

psycho gundam
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Low Herald: Lowest is Nova (Frankie Raye) nova destroying a solar system in an 'aw shucks, why didn't i think of that?" moment:

http://imageshack.us/a/img8/9024/silversurferv300916.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img263/91/silversurferv300917.jpg

good luck

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by psycho gundam
http://imageshack.us/a/img8/9024/silversurferv300916.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img263/91/silversurferv300917.jpg

good luck

That was a great feat for her (far and away her best), but on average, she is craptacularly bad...

Thats why myself and many others consider her as the bottom of the Low Herald pile...

psycho gundam
she doesn't have to do that every time she appears on panel, tho...

Branlor Swift
There's also her blasting off the Bands of Cyttorak that were created by Cy inside of Cy's realm.

kgkg
Grandmaster for Skyfather

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by kgkg
Grandmaster for Skyfather That too. He's at the very least a solid Mid.

I'd probably put him at Odin level though.

TheLordofMurder
@psycho gundam

Since I created that thread (which featured that post), I have been thinking that maybe she's superior to The Enchantress though...

So if I were to do that thread all over again, Enchantress may very well be at the bottom of the Low Herald heep; the problem is that (on average) Enchantress has been pretty good and powerful...

Amora's high isnt as high as Frankie's, but on average Enchantress definitely less crappy than Nova...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
That too. He's at the very least a solid Mid.

I'd probably put him at Odin level though.

Well see, thats the thing, we wont (and shouldnt) always agree, so we could do voting for the main characters (the highs and lows of each tier) and populate the Trans and Skyfather Tier bit by bit...

psycho gundam
my money is on average nova if they were to fight

kgkg
Well see, thats the thing, we wont (and shouldnt) always agree, so we could do voting for the main characters (the highs and lows of each tier) and populate the Trans and Skyfather Tier bit by bit... Any reason why u have GM in Trans?

Supra
Thanos is a lil B

psycho gundam
based god

Digi
You know, I have made several threads where I have created a working (albeit not perfect) list of how the Trans and Skyfather tiers could break down....here it is copy and pasted:

@Digi

I respect your opinion and I guess we agree to disagree as I see nothing wrong with making (for example):

Low Herald: Lowest is Nova (Frankie Raye), Greatest is Jack of Hearts (remember this is all an example)...

Mid Herald: Lowest is Adam Warlock, Greatest is Waverider...

High Herald: Lowest is Quasar, Greatest is either Surfer or Thor...

Low Trans: Lowest is The Collector, Greatest is Mangog...

Mid Trans: Lowest is Blackheart, Greatest is The Runner...

High Trans: Lowest is H/P Doomsday, Greatest is The Grandmaster...

Low Skyfather: Lowest is Thanos, Greatest is Seth (bare with me zopzop!)...

Mid Skyfather: Lowest is Nightmare, Greatest is The Serpent...

High Skyfather: Lowest is Vishnu (from Thor 300), Greatest is Odin...

The levels aren't the issue. Maintaining forum sanity while trying to come to a consensus is.

Your tiers are as good as any. I think they'd work fine. But for something that, at best, is a general guide for people who aren't familiar with comics, what's the end goal? Seriously, forum vets already know rough power levels for everyone. What purpose would it serve for people whose minds are already made up? It wouldn't, is the answer. All it would do is create more cause for strife. And once it finally settles down, the next time Hulk punches a dimension through a wormhole with his pecs, the arbitrary race to push him around will create another round of warnings before either everyone shuts up or he lands at some new level until the next round of changes. Rinse and repeat that formula for any character that inspires controversy. Once you have a rough idea of power levels, just make your own. Trying to standardize it to such an extent across the forum is an exercise in futility. And it only gets worse when you start trying to parse through the nigh-abstract levels of Skyfather tiers.

The only thing the tiers have done that's productive is create a shared vocabulary on KMC and helped to set levels for tourneys. Dozens of warnings and a handful of bans are about the only other legacy they have. The current only works because of how tight-locked Bada and Pr keep it.

Also, thanks for the chuckle of AW as the lowest mid herald. I remember when we voted on him and he was overwhelmingly kept in HH. That was his classic persona, not the more recent mage, but still. Doesn't take long for some characters.

Colossus-Big C
Highest Skyfather isnt Odin, its Surtur With TheTwilight Sword.

Also what about Glory from chaos war? where does he rank?

LordofBrooklyn
Classic Adam Warlock is clearly high herald.

His fights with Thanos cement that fact. Even his fight as HIM is a contender for that status.

leonidas
Famous last words. Good luck with that.

lol yeah whats the big deal...it was so easy the first time, right?

Digi
Originally posted by leonidas
lol yeah whats the big deal...it was so easy the first time, right?

Heh. To their credit, the current tiers list hasn't induced riots. But probably because they only keep it open for commenting 2-3 weeks a year.

I remember always getting asked where {x} was after I removed a bunch of people. "Where's Batman?" for example. "Batman caused 3 warnings and a ban, and about 5 pages of needless argument. If you think the placement of a character on the tiers list is that important, please state your case." It usually ended with that response.

Also noteworthy, the first iteration had Hulk at low herald and no one really objected. Now even the biggest detractors would have to place him at high herald. It's been a great decade for Big Green in the feat department.

Blue Area Vet
That was a great feat for her (far and away her best), but on average, she is craptacularly bad...

Thats why myself and many others consider her as the bottom of the Low Herald pile...

Yet she is WAY above many characters commonly refered to as heralds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.