Toph vs. Azula

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Excalibur2776
No Sozins Comet

Also, in this battle Azula is not insane.

KingD19
Does Toph have her Metal Bending skills?

Excalibur2776
No, just Earth.

KingD19
Hmmm. I see this as being a great, hard fought battle for both sides. In the end though without the amp from Sozin's Comet, Azula as great as she is, being probably tied for 4th best Firebender of her time with Zuko(1st is between Ozai and Iroh, 2nd is whichever brother didn't want it as badly, and third is Jeong-Jeong imo) is fighting arguably the second best non-Avatar Earthbender to ever live.

I'd give her 1st over Bumi because of her alternative style and metal bending, but since she doesn't have that, Bumi's got the most raw power I've seen.

So yeah, despite Azula's skill, Toph is also an Earthbending Master in every sense of the word, and her element is one of the hardest for Firebenders to deal with.

I'd say Top takes 7-8/10.

cdtm
I agree, but what if Azula had the comet amp?

KingD19
Hmmm, if Azula had the Sozin amp and wasn't batshit, she'd be a totally different monster. Give Toph her Metal Bending and she could still take a few, but with power like that I think Azula would win far more than she'd lose due to Toph's versatility and creativity, as Azula would just have raw energy output advantage. Even if she couldn't charge up, a lot of her attacks would just be overwhelming.

Wei Phoenix
She didn't look any more impressive or different when the comet passed to me.

KingD19
That's because when the Comet came she was already showing signs of insanity, and her skills clearly suffered. Even with learning the Dancing Dragon and learning the true meaning of Firebending, Zuko matching her so easily showed that she wasn't on her P's and Q's. At least imo.

And going by the amps seen on Jeong Jeong, Iroh, and Ozai. Azula should have been given a similar enough upgrade if she hadn't gone cuckoo.

SamZED
Azula. And as far as fire bending goes I'd put her above Zuko assuming she's not crazy.

ares834
Azula takes this.

Utrigita
Toph for the win, imo.

Nephthys
Azula was skilled enough to dance around Tophs attacks when she lost her bending and is about as skilled as Toph is. And she has lightning as a major trump card. I give it to her.

King Joker
I think Azula being more intelligent and tactically superior will give her the win, as much as I love Toph. sad

Omega Vision
:/ even if you gave Toph her metal bending Azula would probably win (assuming we're using their TLA versions), limiting her to earth bending makes this close to a stomp.

Of the TLA cast, only Iroh, Ozai, and Aang could realistically beat a non-crazy Azula one on one.

Well...maybe King Bumi too, he was pretty badass.

Let's not forget the fight where Azula took on Aang, Zuko, Katara, Iroh, and Toph all at once.

SamZED
^thumb up People like to bring up her last encounter with Zuko as a proof of his superiority. They're forgetting she was in no condition to fight. That's the only reason Zuko agreed to take her 1 on 1 in the first place.
As far as TLA firebenders go i'd say:
1. Iroh
2. Ozai
3. Jeong
4. Azula
5. Zuko

King Joker
Originally posted by SamZED
^thumb up People like to bring up her last encounter with Zuko as a proof of his superiority. They're forgetting she was in no condition to fight. That's the only reason Zuko agreed to take her 1 on 1 in the first place.
1. Iroh
2. Ozai
3. Jeong
4. Azula
5. Zuko
I'd say that list is pretty accurate.

Omega Vision
1. Iroh
2. Ozai
3. Jeong
4. Azula
5. Zuko
Just curious, why do you put Jeong over Azula and Iroh over Ozai? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but Iroh didn't seem confident about his ability to take on Ozai (and I don't think it was just him being modest), and I don't remember what Jeong was capable of doing.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Just curious, why do you put Jeong over Azula and Iroh over Ozai? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but Iroh didn't seem confident about his ability to take on Ozai (and I don't think it was just him being modest), and I don't remember what Jeong was capable of doing.

Can't Iroh redirect lightning where Ozai can't? Seems he'd have a much easier time dealing with powerful attacks than Ozai.

He also just seems more chill and less prone to rage assaults.

marwash22
1. Iroh
2. Ozai
3. Jeong
4. Azula
5. Zuko

i'd flip Ozai and Iroh. If you look at what they both did under the comet, Ozai diplayed much more power.

marwash22
as for this fight, I'd give it to Azula. Azula is a better tactical fighter than Toph, and she can launch attacks without being on the ground, effectively making her attacks invisible to Toph... similarly to how she got owned by Aang's air attacks.

Nephthys

Yeah, I'd put Azula over Jeong Jeong and Ozai over Iroh. Ozai was more impressive in his fight with Aang than Iroh was attacking Ba Sing Se. Much more powerful with all the flying around and stuff. And Azula is just straight up better than Jeong Jeong.

marwash22
dunno about Azula being better than Jeong. She may very well be the better fighter, but that's not quite the same as being more powerful. Under the comet, Jeong displayed far more power and command, closer to the level of Ozai, than Azula did... exampled in how he was able to "fly" (although not as well as Ozai) and Azula only managed to get a few inches off the ground.

Even taking into account that Azula was losing her shit during the comet, which effected the way she fought, i don't think it affected her level of power output at all.

Nephthys
Azula could fly even without the comet though. The only one to do it without that.

http://media.tumblr.com/0d77fe86fc281e6d74384b79cbbf71ce/tumblr_inline_mfyutmfBfU1rq4xsa.gif

She couldn't hover, but I think its obvious that with the comet she could have were she in better control.

Based
Toph and Aang couldn't even capture Azula without her bending...

King Joker
Originally posted by Based
Toph and Aang couldn't even capture Azula without her bending...

Thats a whole different situation. Azula knew she was outmatched without her bending, so she resorted to running. Also, don't forget that Azula had the Dai Li agents protecting her as well.

marwash22
Originally posted by Nephthys
Azula could fly even without the comet though. The only one to do it without that.

http://media.tumblr.com/0d77fe86fc281e6d74384b79cbbf71ce/tumblr_inline_mfyutmfBfU1rq4xsa.gif

She couldn't hover, but I think its obvious that with the comet she could have were she in better control. not obvious at all.

She didn't fly. All she did in that instance was propel herself off the car... that's not even close to being the same thing as projecting flame from your feet and maneuvering around like Jeong and Ozai did.

NemeBro
1. Iroh
2. Ozai
3. Jeong
4. Azula
5. Zuko Ozai is explicitly the single most powerful firebender in the show.

Jeong Jeong might indeed be better than Azula, it's hard to say. I'd argue that if nothing else, he is the more skilled better. Azula might be more powerful though.

Also, Azula wins.

Nephthys
Eh, I dunno. Azula does go toe to toe with the Avatar a few times and easily holds her own in the fights, winning a few times. Could Jeong Jeong do that? I don't think so. And everyone is giving her the edge over Toph, who is either the best or second best Earthbender in the world. Also Jeong Jeong has never displayed lightning. I always thought that Iroh, Ozai and Azula were the top 3 Firebenders there are.

Originally posted by marwash22
not obvious at all.

She didn't fly. All she did in that instance was propel herself off the car... that's not even close to being the same thing as projecting flame from your feet and maneuvering around like Jeong and Ozai did.

She did propel herself with her feet in The Southern Raiders. And of course it isn't close, those two were enhanced by the comet. I just don't see why Azula couldn't do it if she'd been in her right mind during the comet. Those two couldn't do it without the comet either.

SamZED
Just curious, why do you put Jeong over Azula and Iroh over Ozai? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but Iroh didn't seem confident about his ability to take on Ozai (and I don't think it was just him being modest), and I don't remember what Jeong was capable of doing. I put Iroh over Ozai because I believe he's more experienced and put more effort into studying firebending, including learning from the dragon masters. Ozai looks more impressive under the comet sure but IMO that's because he's all about destruction and killing things with fire while Iroh is a pacifist. I think he refused to fight Ozai because he believed that it's avatars destiny, said so himself. He didn't want it to be seen as a battle between brothers over the throne. I actually see Ozai beating him in a fight due to his ruthlessness compared to Iroh's peaceful nature, there's a good chance he wouldn't find the strength to kill his brother. Even though he's a more experienced fire bender. As for Azula compared to Jeong. Again the experience. Also that humongous wall of fire he created that blocked the entire river and stopped a bunch of military ships. Haven't seen anyone display that sort of power without the amp.

Also IMO any of those ATLA guys would destroy any LOK fire bender.

Nephthys
The ATLA guys are all superior to the LOK benders. Excepting of course the bloodbenders and the Avatars in those final episodes.

SamZED
Blood benders yeah. But Aang seemed a lot more impressive to me in the avatar state than Korra. She used to get her ass kicked every time she went into the avatar state, Aang used to bust up cities.

Nephthys
I'm talking about Korra when she was fighting Avatar Unalaq. That was a fairly crazy fight.

King Joker
Yeah, A: TLA benders are much more impressive than LoK benders in general... Korra is kinda lame compared too Aang IMO...

Based
Korra >>>>>>>> Aang (kid)

KingD19
What? Aang shits on Korra all day in every category. Except ****ing up. She does that better than any Avatar aside from maybe Wan the original.

Nephthys
The previous Waterbending Avatar was pretty shit too.

King Joker
Originally posted by KingD19
What? Aang shits on Korra all day in every category. Except ****ing up. She does that better than any Avatar aside from maybe Wan the original.

You said it!

KingD19
The surfer guy who got his gfs face taken by Koh? And only used the Avatar State to make killer waves brah?

Nephthys
Yeah. He was so arragant and lazy he let his wife get iced.

ares834
Blood benders yeah. But Aang seemed a lot more impressive to me in the avatar state than Korra. She used to get her ass kicked every time she went into the avatar state, Aang used to bust up cities.

Shouldn't Korra's AS be more powerful then Aang's due to the way it works? Atterall, she should have all the experience and power that Aang' AS had, plus a bit more.

KingD19
But she was so impulsive and non spiritual that she couldn't access that wellspring of knowledge.

ares834
Is it ever described as that? It always seemed that once you go into avatar state you get all the power and knowledge not just a portion of it.

Based

Toph and Zuko on the finale said that his Earthbending and Firebending aren't up to snuff. Korra legit mastered them prior to season one.

Aang's an airbending master. Nothing more until he grew up.

KingD19
Despite having a very short time to train while actively fighting in a war, Aang still attained high level bending prowess and fought with the best the world had to offer.

And there are different levels to the Avatar State mastery. Korra is nowhere near Aang.

ares834
And there are different levels to the Avatar State mastery.

Proof? The only level of mastery I've seen is whether you are able to control it and can go into AS state at will. Nothing I've seen (or at least can remember) suggests mastery makes one more powerful.

marwash22
the more spiritual you are, the better you're able to connect to past Avatars and use their bending knowledge. Aang displayed far more impressive techniques in his fight with Ozai than Korra ever did at any time while in AS.

ares834
Originally posted by marwash22
the more spiritual you are, the better you're able to connect to past Avatars and use their bending knowledge.

Sure. But that's my question. Where is this stated?

NemeBro
Originally posted by Based
Toph and Zuko on the finale said that his Earthbending and Firebending aren't up to snuff. Korra legit mastered them prior to season one.

Aang's an airbending master. Nothing more until he grew up. Based on Korra's feats with Earthbending and Firebending, she wouldn't meet their standards either.

Based
Originally posted by NemeBro
Based on Korra's feats with Earthbending and Firebending, she wouldn't meet their standards either.

That's speculative. The OWL has always been strict on Korra to the point of dislike even yet they admit she mastered three elements.

Their words trump the lack of feats that the animators didn't want to pay for.

TheTyrant
Azula stomps...

therapist1
I like this. IMO, earth bending is way more scary and powerful than fire bending is in combat. if it weren't for that episode during Day of Black Sun, I'd say Toph but since the combined efforts of her, Aang and Sokka using both air and earthbending couldn't catch my precious Princess, I'm giving it to Azula. She would figure something out. She is resourceful enough to take advantage of the fact that Toph is blind and unlike Zuko, who Toph would stomp, Azula can shoot jets out to fly

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.