PC Buying Advice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MooCowofJustice
I've had this computer for a long time and am shopping around for a new one. I know what hardware level I'm looking for, so I don't need any help there. I've been browsing around ads and stores here and there and checking out product reviews online and whatnot, but so far nothing is really sticking out and I've never really had to buy for myself before. So I wanted to ask the forum for any advice that you guys are willing to provide.

Are there any brands I should avoid or any you'd recommend? Do some crap out sooner than others or have a reputation for lasting longer?

Anything shifty that I should be aware of in the market?

Any advice is much appreciated.

BackFire
You're planning on buying a prebuilt computer I assume. If so, you may want to consider building one yourself, it can be cheaper and you have greater control over your parts. You can pick and choose the best brands for each component and so on, and it can be rather fun.

However, if you're deadset on buying a prebuilt one for a decent price you may want to look at Cyberpowerpc or Ibuypower. I had a Cyberpower once several years ago before I started buying my own and it worked very well, never had any problems with it.

If you want to spend a little more for a premium maybe look at something like Alienware.

dadudemon
What is your price range?

MooCowofJustice
Originally posted by BackFire
You're planning on buying a prebuilt computer I assume. If so, you may want to consider building one yourself, it can be cheaper and you have greater control over your parts. You can pick and choose the best brands for each component and so on, and it can be rather fun.

However, if you're deadset on buying a prebuilt one for a decent price you may want to look at Cyberpowerpc or Ibuypower. I had a Cyberpower once several years ago before I started buying my own and it worked very well, never had any problems with it.

If you want to spend a little more for a premium maybe look at something like Alienware.

I find this interesting, because from my understanding building one usually ends up being more expensive. At least, that's what I've always been told. I had planned to just get a prebuilt, but if this is true then I'd gladly consider building.

@dadudemon, I've pretty much got anywhere from $400 - $1,000 available, but I'd rather not spend the whole thousand, if possible.

Digi
Originally posted by MooCowofJustice
I find this interesting, because from my understanding building one usually ends up being more expensive. At least, that's what I've always been told. I had planned to just get a prebuilt, but if this is true then I'd gladly consider building.

@dadudemon, I've pretty much got anywhere from $400 - $1,000 available, but I'd rather not spend the whole thousand, if possible.

Building your own CAN be more expensive, because you can get ridiculously high-end stuff at each part. But if you build a PC with equivalent specs as a pre-built computer, chances are you'll save some money compared to the pre-packaged one. You're paying for the brand name oftentimes.

If you're building a desktop and want it to play current and next-gen games smoothly, I'm not sure what your luck will be with that price range. It seems a bit low if it's a gaming rig. I built mine from scratch for about $1,800 three years ago, and it has specs that are roughly equivalent to the next-gen consoles that are just now coming out. You could build something similar for less nowadays, but under 1K might be tricky without sacrificing performance. Mine was also a completely new rig, so it was as expensive as it will ever be. The other nice thing about building your own is that after an initial purchase you can more easily just upgrade parts periodically instead of building a whole new PC. Mine's been good thus far, but I had to buy an external HD this year. Otherwise, it should be fine across the board for another 3-4 years before anything starts needing replaced.

New Egg is the industry standard for individual parts, btw. Browsing there can start to give you an idea of price ranges for various levels of performance.
http://www.newegg.com/

BackFire
You can make a very decent gaming PC for around 1k, assuming you already have a monitor. Just have to be on the look out for good deals.

If there's one near you, Microcenter can save you literally hundreds of dollars if you buy your stuff from them. They have the best deals on CPU's consistently, and can have very good deals on other components as well. The last two times I've build a PC I've bought almost all of my parts from them.

And no, I don't work for them.

Bardock42
Get a Mac

Digi
You can make a very decent gaming PC for around 1k, assuming you already have a monitor. Just have to be on the look out for good deals.

If there's one near you, Microcenter can save you literally hundreds of dollars if you buy your stuff from them. They have the best deals on CPU's consistently, and can have very good deals on other components as well. The last two times I've build a PC I've bought almost all of my parts from them.

thumb up

I inherited nothing for the computer when I moved out of my parents' place, so I needed to buy a monitor when I built my last one. But that's a good point.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Bardock42
Get a Mac

Troll.

I built a future-proof gaming PC about four years ago priced at 1400, including everything high end. Four years later, the only cost I've had to sink in was RAM (under 40 bucks) and a new GPU (220 on sale). The GPU was not really necessary but simply a good upgrade and a good deal so I got it at the time.

I'm not sure I'd commend ibuypower or Cyberpower pc, if only because reviews for them across various websites paints a bad picture. Building is always preferable to premade.

BackFire
It is.

I'm familiar with their online reviews, but I always take those with a grain of salt because those who have a bad experience are more likely to write a review about their experience than those who have a good experience. From my own personal experience with them I had no problems.

But yeah, like you said, you can build a very good PC for around 1500, and keep your system up to date pretty easily with just a graphics card update a few years later.

Also, MooCow, there may be some local independent computer/tech repair businesses that would be willing to build the computer for you with the parts of your choosing, for a small fee. Some of them may even offer a warranty should something go wrong. Something you may want to look into.

Stealth Moose
Good point on the reviews. People with issues who post are far more common than happy customers.

Smasandian
I got NCIX.com to build my computer. They have a fair number of pre-selected systems where you can change different components. When I say pre-selected, I mean that there is set systems but they use over the counter parts and not custom cases (like Dell)

The good thing about their ordering process is that its very hard to order the wrong parts (CPU not compatible with mobo as example).

I could build my own and it's cheaper but the job quality from those guys are much better than mine. The cabling job alone is worth the 50 bucks for the assembly fee. As well, the sound card I wanted cause issues for them and took another few days so they upgrade my sound card for free.

I went through multiple websites to review the components I wanted. I checked benchmarks to see what was the fastest for the best amount of money (the really important factor for a vid card) and then choose from that. I spent around $2500.

A cool benchmark website where you can compared multiple products against each other to see what is best. http://www.anandtech.com/Bench/CPU/2

MooCowofJustice
Wow. I definitely appreciate all the advice everybody. I'll have to get to checking out these websites and price ranges for parts, I guess.

Is building on your own complicated?

BackFire
It can be a little scary the first time. I was intimidated, but it ended up going very smoothly. I recommend watching some videos on youtube - there's a good amount of tutorials on there that really are helpful.

The most important thing when building your own is being patient and taking your time. Don't rush or else you will make mistakes, and that will just end up making it take more time.

Really, once you get used to it it's essentially like putting together a set of big expensive legos. Things just sorta go in their spot and most can't really go anywhere else.

Smasandian
Yeah, taking your time is essential and if you get frustrated, stop what you are doing. As well, make sure you do not build it on a fuzzy carpet and make sure you touch the metal part of the case so you are grounded. Static electricity could wreck a few things if you are not careful.

The only hard part I find is the attachment of the CPU to the socket and putting on the CPU fan/cooler. They can be mighty tricky. I was taught to put the CPU/cooler on before you attach the mobo.

Digi
You can also sometime find a local computer store that will assemble your parts for maybe $50.

The processor-to-motherboard connection was the only nervous part for me. Everything else was easy...well, the power connections can be complicated, but it's not something you can permanently mess up.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Troll.

More like savior!

-Pr-
Building a PC, to me, is like putting together a very expensive lego set.

The hardest part for me was getting over my fear of how fragile the parts were. Some need to be really shoved in to place.

That said, don't buy a mac if you want to game. Or even, just don't buy a mac. Over-priced as hell, Imo, especially considering the quality of the parts they use.

Bardock42
You can game alright on a Mac if you put Windows on it. And you have the added benefit of having a Mac, which is priceless, really.

-Pr-
You can game alright on a Mac if you put Windows on it. And you have the added benefit of having a Mac, which is priceless, really.

"If you put Windows on it". All that needs to be said really.

Though I have to admit, I like this brand of trolling you're using.

Bardock42
Well, to be fair, a Mac you can use for gaming will be more expensive than 1000$, so I guess it's not a serious suggestion in this case.

Though I do think, if you are into playing games on a PC, using Windows on part of your Mac is acceptable. That way you have the very, very best hardware design on the market, and the best operating system for all non-gaming tasks. So while I can't suggest one to him in this case (cause he wouldn't be happy with a Mac Mini), generally Macs are a great idea.

Stealth Moose
Well, to be fair, a Mac you can use for gaming will be more expensive than 1000$, so I guess it's not a serious suggestion in this case.

Though I do think, if you are into playing games on a PC, using Windows on part of your Mac is acceptable. That way you have the very, very best hardware design on the market, and the best operating system for all non-gaming tasks. So while I can't suggest one to him in this case (cause he wouldn't be happy with a Mac Mini), generally Macs are a great idea.

Very, very best hardware design on the market? Are you talking about Macs, which are assembled in China? TROLOLO.

Also, I agree with Digi and Backfire on taking your time. It's essential so as not to make mistakes. I took nearly four hours on my first rig. And the CPU is the most fragile, nerve-wracking part.

Bardock42
Very, very best hardware design on the market? Are you talking about Macs, which are assembled in China? TROLOLO.

Well, yeah, most of them. I don't know what you are trying to say, China are the very best assemblers of electronics hardware in the world. Virtually every company uses Chinese manufacturers. If you do want US assembled Mac stuff you won't have to wait long for the Mac Pro though. tbh, bit out of my price and use-case range tho.

Also, I agree with Digi and Backfire on taking your time. It's essential so as not to make mistakes. I took nearly four hours on my first rig. And the CPU is the most fragile, nerve-wracking part.

Building a PC can be a good experience if you are into that sort of thing. I used to find it exciting to build my own. Nowadays I would rather have the convenience of not having to do that and perhaps pay a bit more for a preassembled one.

-Pr-

I honestly don't see the advantage to having a mac over a pc bar aesthetics, which is more personal preference than anything. Sure, if you have a mac already and want to game, then by all means.

a mac isn't inherently better than a pc component-wise though, imo. the insides of macs are almost the same as pc's nowadays, at least in terms of the parts used.

BackFire
Ignore Bardock, he essentially works for Apple. When I decided to get an android phone instead of an iphone he actually threatened my life.

But yes, the CPU can be very scary, and it can be the most dangerous. If you put it in wrong you can damage the CPU/socket. The other parts that I have trouble with is mounting the motherboard, but that's probably because I have big oaf hands. Also the little wires that connect to the front of the case can be annoying, cuz they're so small and they all look the same.

Bardock42
Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly don't see the advantage to having a mac over a pc bar aesthetics, which is more personal preference than anything. Sure, if you have a mac already and want to game, then by all means.

a mac isn't inherently better than a pc component-wise though, imo. the insides of macs are almost the same as pc's nowadays, at least in terms of the parts used.

Yes, the inside hardware is essentially the same. You get generally a better built device (for example their trackpads are not even close to being matched by any other company) and you get OS X, which is amazing. If you only want to do gaming on your computer, fair enough, get a desktop windows machine, assemble it yourself perhaps. But if you want to do anything besides the gaming, I'd go with a Mac if it is in your price range. They are more fun, they last longer, and they keep their value longer if you are into selling and upgrading.

Ignore Bardock, he essentially works for Apple. When I decided to get an android phone instead of an iphone he actually threatened my life.

Yeah, but I ****ing didn't do it, so what are you complaining about?

BackFire
Well, you did also send me all those pictures. They were disturbing.

Stealth Moose
Yes, the inside hardware is essentially the same. You get generally a better built device (for example their trackpads are not even close to being matched by any other company)

I'm not sure what you mean by this though. This isn't supported by anything I've encountered nor heard and in fact I'd wager Apple defective percentage is on par with most major electronics. True, most electronics are assembled in China (because they'd cost like 5 times as much otherwise) but I have yet to see proof that a Mac PC is inherently better than a Windows PC by virtue of the same parts being assembled better, and something approaching a 400-500 dollar markup on the total package. And god help you if something is wrong with the rig.

http://www.happyboulevard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Macvs.PC_1.jpg

Unless you're arguing that their plastic casing is prettier and more flush along the buttons, in which case, I'm absolutely sold.

And is pretty much not used in any workplace or regular setting except for people who do advanced music recording or graphical design.

You should get royalties from them, really.

-Pr-
Yes, the inside hardware is essentially the same. You get generally a better built device (for example their trackpads are not even close to being matched by any other company) and you get OS X, which is amazing. If you only want to do gaming on your computer, fair enough, get a desktop windows machine, assemble it yourself perhaps. But if you want to do anything besides the gaming, I'd go with a Mac if it is in your price range. They are more fun, they last longer, and they keep their value longer if you are into selling and upgrading.

trackpads i'll give you, but I don't agree about OSX. I find the apple os's to be awful to use, personally. They're far too restrictive for my liking.

I find a pc allows me to do more and have more freedom than a mac. Sure, macs are great for their resolution and their trackpads, but fun, longevity etc? Nope.

Though I may be biased, as I used to work in pc repair, and apples gave us far more hassle than any one brand when it came to repairs.

But yes, the CPU can be very scary, and it can be the most dangerous. If you put it in wrong you can damage the CPU/socket. The other parts that I have trouble with is mounting the motherboard, but that's probably because I have big oaf hands. Also the little wires that connect to the front of the case can be annoying, cuz they're so small and they all look the same.

ah, I see. poor bardock. sad

Bardock42
I'll give this a more in depth reply tomorrow, stay tunes, w00

Stealth Moose
I'll give this a more in depth reply tomorrow, stay tunes, w00

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5175/5536695127_4303b4540b_z.jpg

-Pr-
laughing out loud

BackFire
He has to wait for Apple's PR team to send him some talking points.

<3 you, Bardock.

MooCowofJustice
I could never buy a Mac. I just don't like Apple.

Bardock42
I'm not sure what you mean by this though. This isn't supported by anything I've encountered nor heard and in fact I'd wager Apple defective percentage is on par with most major electronics. True, most electronics are assembled in China (because they'd cost like 5 times as much otherwise) but I have yet to see proof that a Mac PC is inherently better than a Windows PC by virtue of the same parts being assembled better, and something approaching a 400-500 dollar markup on the total package. And god help you if something is wrong with the rig.

http://www.happyboulevard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Macvs.PC_1.jpg

Unless you're arguing that their plastic casing is prettier and more flush along the buttons, in which case, I'm absolutely sold.

Well, they do use unibody aluminum for their portables. So that's pretty good. You can just look at used models of Apple products, they still sell at good prices years later, there's no way you'll get anything much for a PC 2 years down the line.

The picture you posted is a good illustration though, which car would you actually want to drive...you can have your Corolla, I'll be happy in my M5..

And is pretty much not used in any workplace or regular setting except for people who do advanced music recording or graphical design.

Then get an additional license for Windows for your corporate stooge job. Although a lot has happened in terms of bring your own device workplaces and support of Mac. And the way Microsoft is going it's gonna get better and better for Apple users.

You should get royalties from them, really.

I wouldn't mind that.

Originally posted by -Pr-
trackpads i'll give you, but I don't agree about OSX. I find the apple os's to be awful to use, personally. They're far too restrictive for my liking.

I find a pc allows me to do more and have more freedom than a mac. Sure, macs are great for their resolution and their trackpads, but fun, longevity etc? Nope.

Though I may be biased, as I used to work in pc repair, and apples gave us far more hassle than any one brand when it came to repairs.

You know that OS X is POSIX compliant. It's a Unix system, calling it restrictive is a bit out there.

Smasandian
Does it really ****ing matter?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Smasandian

Yeah?

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Smasandian

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gczdCpLjvro/TaVrFOemaZI/AAAAAAAABIE/g2yL9RS27hM/s1600/serious-business-police.jpg

Well, they do use unibody aluminum for their portables. So that's pretty good. You can just look at used models of Apple products, they still sell at good prices years later, there's no way you'll get anything much for a PC 2 years down the line.

But what if I don't care what my case is made out of anyways? I can buy a custom case or build one myself if that was the Judas of my life. You asserted they were better designed, and that this had some impact on the purchase decision over PC. Considering the only difference between a PC and Mac with the same internal components is the shell and software, this doesn't justify the ridiculous mark-up. And for a gamer, it just hamstrings the buyer because the Mac market for games is much smaller than PC.

Only if your M5 needed to be replaced instead of given a new oil filter. Solid purchase choice, bro.

Slippery slope wishful thinking? Interesting tactic.

But you've missed the point: as of now, PC is overwhelmingly the norm. The only time an Apple product beats out Microsoft conclusively is in mobiles and tablets (maybe, the Windows tablets are a much better buy already). I'm not a fan of Microsoft; if anything, I detest some of their business practices. But I'm arguing from the POV of a perspective buyer now, not five or ten years from now.

Pretty sure you're already on the take.

-Pr-
Was gonna reply to Bardock, but this is off topic I think. He already said he was buying a PC, didn't he?

If it being built at home is an option, here are some helpful tools:

http://www.choosemypc.net/

^ this one, you give them a budget, and they recommend the parts you should use. Localised to Britain, America and Canada.

http://pcpartpicker.com/

^ This one lets you pick your own parts, but it also tells you whether the parts are compatible or not. The first link I provided actually uses the second site to help with compatibility, so they're both handy enough.

MooCowofJustice
Well shit, thanks guys. I appreciate all the advice. I've brought in my older brother who's a little more techsavvy, too, and I've started the math process to figure out my best options. I should be the owner of a new PC by the end of the month, hopefully. 'cause this thing's getting to be a pain in the ass.

Stealth Moose
Post specs when you can!

BackFire
Enjoy your new toy, MooCow.

MooCowofJustice
Sure thing, and you betcha. Haha.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.