Jake Lloyd Vs. Hayden Christensen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
All right another simple debate starting with another simple question: Which Anakin Skywalker do YOU like the best- Jake Lloyd in The Phantom Menace OR Hayden Christensen in Attack of the Clones? cool

justinday15
Hayden in AOTC.

GordonSkywalker
So why do you like his portrayal better?

cookies2006
Hes older and funner to watch.

GordonSkywalker
I say Jake Lloyd did as good enough job as we could expect from an 11-year old boy with only one previous movie to his acting credit. People might complain due to the age Anakin was portrayed but that is hardly Jake's fault. He was playing the role as he had been instructed to.People had complaints about Hayden later on, remember.

cookies2006
yeah, jake did very good for his age. But i like the older version better.

GordonSkywalker
Agreed. Hayden had a bit more going for him.(No I'm not talking about his looks!)He was older and more experienced in the acting profession. And he was required to actually play an adult role.

cookies2006
yeah with Padme and all.

GordonSkywalker
Yes and he had more screen time in the more relevant scenes.

cookies2006
true true

justinday15
This is the first movie i've seen Hayden in, has anyone seen him in anything else?

cookies2006
yeah, no not really.

GordonSkywalker
He did a movie with Anna Paquin-or was that a stage play? He did some tv work but I don't know of anything else.

cookies2006
Pretty darn good for a beginner.

GordonSkywalker
Yes the role of Anakin Skywalker was his make-or-break role.

cookies2006
He maked it i guess.!

justinday15
He's perfect for Anakin.

justinday15
Im just glad GL didnt pick Leo DeCaprio to play Anakin. Happy Dance

finti
Lloyd was piss poor.

duffy
yeah Lloyd was just far to annoying

hayden's minx
This is a fair Argument~
I would have to say Hayden's portrayal because of the way he carried the storyline of Episode 2. In defence of Jake though, this maybe contributed by the great script and storyline of Episode 2. (And the fact that Hayden fancied the pants off natalie portman).
Also Jake's portrayal of Anakin in Episode 1 is wooden this maybe contributed by the age and lack of experience of Jake Lloyd.

hayden's minx
Oh yeah and I've seen a few films with hayden in by the way justinday15, Life as a house is the best one i've seen other that SW because he plays the biggest role in it (with Kevin Kline), he also had a few small parts in The Virgin Suicides and Trapped in a Purple Haze. There were a few others as i recall but he was really young in them. He plays a paperboy in 'The mouth of madness' (Carpenter), but I haven't seen that. Look out for two new films called 'Shattered Glass' and 'Nailed Right in' with Johnny Depp that he will be starring in.

GordonSkywalker
On behalf of my absent colleagues thanks for the info!

Julie
Hayden....he's older....

GordonSkywalker
and is old enough to be attractive to girls.

Darth Vicious
I Have to agree, LLoyd was kinda annoying and Hayden was ok, by no means good or great he was just ok and the only think i didnt like the most about his character was that he got to be so close to Pame, lol

mechmoggy
Or the guys, depending on preference of course.

I think Jake was utter s***e, some of his dialogue is painful to watch. I didn't think Hayden was too good either, but out of the two he's the better.

Best of a bad lot though I'm afraid.

finti
"are you an angel"............ sick

GordonSkywalker
Yes well that was an awkward and most unexpected thing for him to have said. It certainly got her attention though. But I digress. The romance thing between Anakin and Padme is one thing,but why did they have to start out with him being still a kid when he met her? And their smiles at each other at the end of Menace was disturbing to say the least.

mechmoggy
Again too awkward. Its nothing compared to R2 wobbling at the end of ANH during the award ceromony, that always brings a tear to my eye....

*wipes eyes*

Poor little fella, got shot during the battle of Yavin.....

*Sobs*

GordonSkywalker
The ending to the original Star Wars still remains a fan favorite to this day. The ending for Phantom Menace was a ripoff of the original film. Anyone else see that?

finti
because of the parade?

GordonSkywalker
Yeah and how everyone seemed happy and looked to the camera and smiled.

cookies2006
yoda only knew what was to come.

GordonSkywalker
Yes I imagine he did. I say Hayden was the better of the two Anakins but only just.

cookies2006
only just?

GordonSkywalker
I don't think both actors were able to fully realise themselves in the role of young Anakin Skywalker because there was too much baggage and expectations that neither could ever hope to meet.

LaurenE147
I think both of their performances were lacking but I preferred Hayden's.

GordonSkywalker
I like Jake Lloyd's interpretation more than Hayden Christensen's.

LaurenE147
interpretation of what?

Ushgarak
Anakin

LaurenE147
of Anakin's what? his evil future? his love for his mom? his innate goodness before he turned evil? Anakin is a freakishly multi-dimensional character!

Ushgarak
Of the role in general.

LaurenE147
Thank you, Gordon Skywalker. *rolls eyes*

Ushgarak
Why interpret what he said any other way?

LaurenE147
why do you and i always fight when we talk?

Ushgarak
I was actually trying to be helpful!

GordonSkywalker
Ush has it right on the money about my earlier post.I like Jake's interpretation of Anakin Skywalker over Hayden's version.

cookies2006
Yeah, hes so little and so helpless.

GordonSkywalker
Hayden Christensen is the natual progression of the character from the earlier version(Jake Lloyd) and does quite well in the second film. Both are good actors who do their best with the role they were given.

cookies2006
Yes, agreed.

GordonSkywalker
So it is not so bad to say that Hayden Christensen is the better actor over Jake Lloyd thus bringing this thread to a close......perhaps........

GordonSkywalker
Here is to the continuing success of Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen! {Mods may close this thread if they will be so inclined.}

person411
Hayden was in the movie "Life as a House" and was in a tv show called higher ground and he won an award 4 breakout actor of the year in 2001

Cascador
yeah I think Hayden is better...some call it a wooden performance, but no, it's just the acting style, cause his perfomance in life as a house is very different, very good...cause it's a different style of acting.

sithsaber408
I read that Hayden based his speech patterns on Darth Vader from the OT, and a little of mark Hamill.

I don't know, I kinda buy that.

Like when he says :" I am trying" drawn out and slow, I tried to picture JEJ saying that dialouge, or "We don't need his help".

Not all the time, but I noticed it in some scenes.

sithsaber408
Off topic:

Anyone heard about Awake... ? It's a new movie with Hayden and Jessica Alba (lucky little f*ck stick out tongue ) where he goes into a heart surgery and the drugs wear off, so he can feel, hear, and see everything happening, but can't move or talk?

On topic:

Hayden is much better than Jake Lloyd, Episode III really proved it , for me.

Still say Anakin should have been 12 or 13 and played by Halie Joel Osment.

wink

Young Bobba Fett still should have been 18 and played by Rufio from Hook. stick out tongue

Cascador
you should see how Jake Lloyd looks like now...he should have played Gollum in LOTR!

JaehSkywalker
can you give me a pic of him?

overlord
Whoa! Old thread!
But Hayden will pwn Jake Lloyd and feed him to the lions.

McCusto
Originally posted by person411
Hayden was in the movie "Life as a House" and was in a tv show called higher ground and he won an award 4 breakout actor of the year in 2001

Just a tip. NEVER necro a post from 2003, noob. I hate it when noobs sign up for a forum, then looks into the deep archives of the forum's history, digs up a fossil thread like this, and adds onto it. It is the most annoying thing ever.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I read that Hayden based his speech patterns on Darth Vader from the OT, and a little of mark Hamill.

I don't know, I kinda buy that.

Like when he says :" I am trying" drawn out and slow, I tried to picture JEJ saying that dialouge, or "We don't need his help".

Not all the time, but I noticed it in some scenes.

BUMP big grin

No comments on this?

Cascador
Well you can notice, that he really tries to change his voice when he becomes darth vader especially when he is on holo and says "the seperatists have been taken care of, my master" He tries to adapt his voice to JEJ. And that was nice done, not that good, cause its impossible cause JEJ really has a hard low voice when he speaks as darth, hayden doesn't really have a hard voice, that is why I think he really must have some damn good mic in his helmet lol

sithsaber408
No, there's no mic in the helmet.

That's James Earl Jones in an uncredited cameo as the voice of Darth Vader in Episode III. wink

Cascador
nooo, really, you're kidding!!!

sithsaber408
No... I'm not kidding.

really... I'm not. smile

But you are....huh roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cascador
how observant of you...

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Cascador
Well you can notice, that he really tries to change his voice when he becomes darth vader especially when he is on holo and says "the seperatists have been taken care of, my master" He tries to adapt his voice to JEJ. And that was nice done, not that good, cause its impossible cause JEJ really has a hard low voice when he speaks as darth, hayden doesn't really have a hard voice, that is why I think he really must have some damn good mic in his helmet lol

I will be uncharacteristically refined for an American and not respond to your jibes......(My work-addled brain couldn't compete anyway big grin ) and get back on topic:

I was speaking of the whole Hayden performance starting in episode II, not just after he becomes Darth in episodeIII.

Do you hear any JEJ in there?

I looked at a few scenes after I read that interview with Hayden, and some seem slow and plodding... like he was going for that pronounced delivery.... "attachment is..for-bidden" etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.