JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek and will ruine Star wars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

MrLostsoul
Abrams ruined Star Trek. It didn't need a reboot, just better writers. Now execs want Abrams to do Star Wars. Star Wars and Star Trek were never meant to be alike. Having Abrams do both, is worse than bad, its death. Look at the reboots of Willie Wonka and Dukes of hazard. I know Abrams was not involved. But, I hate this trend to take big past success shows and movies, and f*ck them just to make a quick buck. I don't blame Abrams completely. What happen to fan loyalty. Star trek and Star Wars have the most hardcore fans. Star Trek fans are almost fanatical, they help bring back Star Trek for tv and movies, now they go to Abrams garbage. Are fans so desperate, theyre willing to go to an Abrams reboot? Example, Spock controls his feelings like all Vulcans. But according to Abrams, Spock can laugh, cry, p*ssy whipped by his girlfriend, and sound stupid. And Vulcans have no history with following logic and have bullies as kids. Thats so retarded. And Abrams rips off Gene and Star Trek so much, its like he just fast forwards through Star Trek shows and movies to recycle ideas and lines. And yet, people still go to see the movies. Say no to Abrams.
Abrams is like the borg. "HE invades our space, and we fall back. HE assimilates entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! Come on fans!!!! JJ Abrams ignores the history of these shows and movies. No reboot.

COG Veteran
No reboot.

Omega Vision
More and more I've come to roll my eyes when I hear that an adaptation, sequel, or reboot has "ruined" a franchise. Regardless of how you view the Abrams Trek, it makes no sense to say he "ruined" Star Trek unless you think he somehow retroactively tarnished the five (six if you count TAS, and few do) television series that came before.

Personally, I would have preferred a sixth television series that takes the prime universe story forward rather than a series of movies that just reimagines the TOS era, but hey, it might still happen (though it's looking increasingly unlikely)

roughrider
Guess what - Star Trek was virtually dead until J.J. Abrams took over. No one else had a better idea until he and his team refreshed the concept. Going back to the original crew when they were younger was considered after Star Trek 5, but they didn't do it until they found there was no other direction.

MF DELPH
I liked the new films. I see no reason why their can't be an alternate universe/timeline series. I was always hoping they'd expand more on the dark Mirrorverse concept from TOS that was followed up in DS9 and Enterprise anyway.

-Pr-
Originally posted by MrLostsoul
Abrams ruined Star Trek. It didn't need a reboot, just better writers. Now execs want Abrams to do Star Wars. Star Wars and Star Trek were never meant to be alike. Having Abrams do both, is worse than bad, its death. Look at the reboots of Willie Wonka and Dukes of hazard. I know Abrams was not involved. But, I hate this trend to take big past success shows and movies, and f*ck them just to make a quick buck. I don't blame Abrams completely. What happen to fan loyalty. Star trek and Star Wars have the most hardcore fans. Star Trek fans are almost fanatical, they help bring back Star Trek for tv and movies, now they go to Abrams garbage. Are fans so desperate, theyre willing to go to an Abrams reboot? Example, Spock controls his feelings like all Vulcans. But according to Abrams, Spock can laugh, cry, p*ssy whipped by his girlfriend, and sound stupid. And Vulcans have no history with following logic and have bullies as kids. Thats so retarded. And Abrams rips off Gene and Star Trek so much, its like he just fast forwards through Star Trek shows and movies to recycle ideas and lines. And yet, people still go to see the movies. Say no to Abrams.
Abrams is like the borg. "HE invades our space, and we fall back. HE assimilates entire worlds, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! Come on fans!!!! JJ Abrams ignores the history of these shows and movies. No reboot.

No. You're actually factually wrong about the Vulcans too.

XanatosForever
I heard somewhere that Abrams prefers Star Wars to Star Trek. If that's true, the chances of him making any attempt to ruin it are slim.

Stealth Moose
I didn't find the newer movies bad. I accepted them for what they were; reinterpretations.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
More and more I've come to roll my eyes when I hear that an adaptation, sequel, or reboot has "ruined" a franchise. Regardless of how you view the Abrams Trek, it makes no sense to say he "ruined" Star Trek unless you think he somehow retroactively tarnished the five (six if you count TAS, and few do) television series that came before.

Personally, I would have preferred a sixth television series that takes the prime universe story forward rather than a series of movies that just reimagines the TOS era, but hey, it might still happen (though it's looking increasingly unlikely)

This. So far, ST:O is about as close as I'm getting to continued storyline.

jaden101
George Lucas did a good enough job of ruining Star Wars himself with the prequel trilogy. JJ can't do any worse.

-Pr-
Apparently Michael Dorn is still trying to get his "Captain Worf" series going, so if he succeeds, the prime universe might get a bit more focus.

Stealth Moose
That would be interesting to see. Of course, Worf has had the longest continuing presence in the prime universe and has a wealth a character development. His bridge crew would need to be pretty solid.

jaden101
PREPARE FOR RRRRAMMING SPEED!!!!

Haha.

jaden101
That's what he says to his wife.

Stealth Moose
That awkward moment when you sit back and realize you double-posted within your 15 minute edit window.

I lol'd though.

quanchi112
Originally posted by jaden101
George Lucas did a good enough job of ruining Star Wars himself with the prequel trilogy. JJ can't do any worse. JJ made the Trek franchise reputable again. Give me this universe any day over the prime universe.

Stealth Moose
Can't say I agree. Prime universe has so much more content and history. While the new ST rejuvenates the series and has the potential to go in new exciting directions, it also has the danger of retreading old ground with potentially less grace. Plus I don't remember any holodecks in the films, so automatically the era is inferior.

KingD19
Just because holodecks weren't shown doesn't mean they don't exist. The thing about movies is you only have a set amount of time to cram everything you want into it. So there probably wasn't time to add a 10 minute holodeck scene or something.

-Pr-
Federation ships didn't have holodecks back then, so it's excusable.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Can't say I agree. Prime universe has so much more content and history. While the new ST rejuvenates the series and has the potential to go in new exciting directions, it also has the danger of retreading old ground with potentially less grace. Plus I don't remember any holodecks in the films, so automatically the era is inferior.

Recolored to separate offhand humor from intended point.

You guys, LULZ. Of course holodecks didn't exist back then.

-Pr-
They did exist. They just weren't on Federation starships stick out tongue

Stealth Moose
Rec rooms don't count.

jaden101
That awkward moment when you sit back and realize you double-posted within your 15 minute edit window.

I lol'd though.

I'm such a rebel.

jaden101
Originally posted by quanchi112
JJ made the Trek franchise reputable again. Give me this universe any day over the prime universe.

We're all aware of how you prefer sparky lights and lens flare over political and social themes.

Stealth Moose
Rewatching TNG, Trek really is a good platform for both, and made use of it. As did the TOS. I don't recall much of DS9 and Voyager, since I haven't seen either since their original airing.

quanchi112
Can't say I agree. Prime universe has so much more content and history. While the new ST rejuvenates the series and has the potential to go in new exciting directions, it also has the danger of retreading old ground with potentially less grace. Plus I don't remember any holodecks in the films, so automatically the era is inferior. You can have your prime universe while I enjoy the Nu Trek universe more so than anyone else on this board. Absolutely.

quanchi112
Originally posted by jaden101
We're all aware of how you prefer sparky lights and lens flare over political and social themes. That isn't what the new series is about. You can pretend and downplay the newer movies out of disgust but it's more successful than its ever been. Shatner himself agrees. Trek is actually watchable nowadays IMO. Bless Abrams. Bless his heart. Now bring on Star Wars.

-Pr-
Don't bump threads just to be petty.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by quanchi112
Shatner himself agrees.

You even seen Shatner in an interview in recent years? The guy is a crazy old man. He's a horrible source for your propaganda.

quanchi112
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
You even seen Shatner in an interview in recent years? The guy is a crazy old man. He's a horrible source for your propaganda. I cited a website and an interview for him. Two sources. The guy isn't crazy IMO. He makes valid points and was there for the entire original generation.

-Pr-
Why wouldn't Shatner like the new movies? They're good, and they help Star Trek.

He'd be crazy not to.

quanchi112
Originally posted by -Pr-
Why wouldn't Shatner like the new movies? They're good, and they help Star Trek.

He'd be crazy not to. He said they were more successful than the older ones. I concur.

-Pr-
They made a shitload of money yes, by appealing to a wider market. Dont see the problem.

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by MrLostsoul
What happen to fan loyalty. Star trek and Star Wars have the most hardcore fans.
Fu*k Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.