Did Thor Lose His Power in Avengers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Supra
After he feel from the shield fortress cast out by Loki. He hit the ground hard..Recovered and walked to him hammer, he did not call it..When he arrived at his hammer he drew for it and it did not come.. he then paused and fisted his hand and began to deep think..camera cuts away..then we come back to him able to retreive the hammer and summon his power back to go fight with the rest of the avengers..

Was he unworthy in this moment of self reflection for his fight with hulk or not saving Agent Coleson? And had to regain worthiness by realizing what his next task was to help save earth from impending doom thus his power returned?

Food for thought

BlackZero30x
I think the scene was purely for effect. I don't think it had anything to do with losing his powers. They wanted that moment of "coming together". They all had such a scene in a way. Cap breaking the rules to steal a Quin Jet, Ironman's confrontation with loki, and Banner talking to the old man. I don't think they really had anything to show for Thor so they showed him (imo) "mind prepping" for battle with loki.

roughrider
Thor was just steeling himself for the big jump, to call down his battle gear (he was dressed more casually earlier.)

He originally came down to Midgard to recover the Tesseract (which was making it's presence there felt, with the SHIELD experiments) and to confront Loki. Despite his crimes on Asgard, Thor was willing to put it behind him if his brother just repented and came home. Seeing Loki's actions on the helicarrier convinced him his brother was now wholly an enemy to be stopped. He brooded over this as he slowly walked toward his hammer - he could have gotten to it much faster, and just had some momentary hesitation, if it holding off an inevitable decision. Once he picked it up, the decision was made and it was now war with Loki.

The dramatics of his scene was just played off against Cap and Tony's coming together on the helicarrier, to show how the team actually come together as one, and not something just formulated by a SHIELD proposal (Nick Fury's manipulations notwithstanding...)

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by roughrider
Thor was just steeling himself for the big jump, to call down his battle gear (he was dressed more casually earlier.)

He originally came down to Midgard to recover the Tesseract (which was making it's presence there felt, with the SHIELD experiments) and to confront Loki. Despite his crimes on Asgard, Thor was willing to put it behind him if his brother just repented and came home. Seeing Loki's actions on the helicarrier convinced him his brother was now wholly an enemy to be stopped. He brooded over this as he slowly walked toward his hammer - he could have gotten to it much faster, and just had some momentary hesitation, if it holding off an inevitable decision. Once he picked it up, the decision was made and it was now war with Loki.

The dramatics of his scene was just played off against Cap and Tony's coming together on the helicarrier, to show how the team actually come together as one, and not something just formulated by a SHIELD proposal (Nick Fury's manipulations notwithstanding...)

This.

Tzeentch
He was still so shaken from getting his ass beat by Hulk that his powers weren't working right.

Inhuman
Originally posted by Tzeentch
He was still so shaken from getting his ass beat by Hulk that his powers weren't working right.

lulz, thor was holding back fighting hulk in the h'carrier

Tzeentch
That's what he probably tells himself.

roughrider
Originally posted by Inhuman
lulz, thor was holding back fighting hulk in the h'carrier

Thor was just trying to contain Banner, and at the very least keep him centered on him and away from the vulnerable bystanders. Once Hulk left the ship, he charged after Loki like nothing had happened to him at all - not like Loki's painful recovery after Hulk brutally slapped him down later on.

Supra
Thor was just trying to contain Banner, and at the very least keep him centered on him and away from the vulnerable bystanders. Once Hulk left the ship, he charged after Loki like nothing had happened to him at all - not like Loki's painful recovery after Hulk brutally slapped him down later on.

Could he have stopped the hulk if he had too? I love Thor and his hammer im trying to learn as much about them as I can..

The eternal conflict between what Odin and Him are and are not..They are so simmilar to me and yet so far away as seen in both movies that Thor is willing to commit treason again to save earth against his fathers wishes..Even knowing that his father can take from him his power he does so brazenly.

im starting to respect him more and more now especially from these three movies!!

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Supra
Could he have stopped the hulk if he had too? I love Thor and his hammer im trying to learn as much about them as I can..

The eternal conflict between what Odin and Him are and are not..They are so simmilar to me and yet so far away as seen in both movies that Thor is willing to commit treason again to save earth against his fathers wishes..Even knowing that his father can take from him his power he does so brazenly.

im starting to respect him more and more now especially from these three movies!!

Probably, yeah. Thor didn't bother using flight or lightning based attacks against Hulk and he was trying to reason with Banner and stop him from destroying the hellicarrier.

Supra

This is epic post

More questions..what makes him and only him to carry it and not anyone else?

Odin Clearly states "who so ever is worthy shall possess the power of Thor"

Ok so who so ever is worthy part...is what gets me. As he is the only one able to wield its power..what makes him more worthy then superman..goku..captain america? Who deems you worth the blessing of Odin or Odin Himself?

As we seen in comics Odin himself cannot lift it

nimbus006
This is epic post

Ok so who so ever is worthy part...is what gets me. As he is the only one able to wield its power..what makes him more worthy then superman..goku..captain america? Who deems you worth the blessing of Odin or Odin Himself?

Captain America is one of the only characters (if not the only) that has lifted Thor's hammer. He's definitely worthy. I would say Superman would likely be worthy as well.

roughrider
This is epic post

I've never seen a comic where Odin cannot lift it. He's taken it from Thor when he's wanted to punish him. The enchantment of worthiness was to keep Thor on the right path of using his power, and not for selfish, greedy glory. Until Beta Ray Bill came into the comics picture, Odin never imagined a scenario where another could lift it, which is why he rewarded BRB with a hammer, stormbreaker. After that, we saw Captain America being worthy to lift it, which increased Thor's respect for him even more.

It's all about the hammer sensing your spirit, being a warrior born & willing to do what's necessary for the greater good. In crossovers with DC, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel have lifted it, which makes sense as they are favoured by Gods. Superman ultimately could not, though - it senses he is a protector, but not someone willing to make the tough choice.

Supra
I've never seen a comic where Odin cannot lift it. He's taken it from Thor when he's wanted to punish him. The enchantment of worthiness was to keep Thor on the right path of using his power, and not for selfish, greedy glory. Until Beta Ray Bill came into the comics picture, Odin never imagined a scenario where another could lift it, which is why he rewarded BRB with a hammer, stormbreaker. After that, we saw Captain America being worthy to lift it, which increased Thor's respect for him even more.

It's all about the hammer sensing your spirit, being a warrior born & willing to do what's necessary for the greater good. In crossovers with DC, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel have lifted it, which makes sense as they are favoured by Gods. Superman ultimately could not, though - it senses he is a protector, but not someone willing to make the tough choice.

Now I get it!!!! Thank you so much!!

JayDaDon
Originally posted by Tzeentch
That's what he probably tells himself.

Well seeing as how he didn't use his most powerful attacks......yes, he literally held back.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Well seeing as how he didn't use his most powerful attacks......yes, he literally held back.

thumb up

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by JayDaDon

thumb up

Thor's powers and versatility in a bloodlusted, open air arena would probably KO Hulk (although I question if anything can actually kill Hulk, even in the movie setting).

Originally posted by nimbus006
Captain America is one of the only characters (if not the only) that has lifted Thor's hammer. He's definitely worthy. I would say Superman would likely be worthy as well.

Depends on the Supes. The guy does have a history of Super Dickory.

Supra
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
thumb up

Thor's powers and versatility in a bloodlusted, open air arena would probably KO Hulk (although I question if anything can actually kill Hulk, even in the movie setting).

True, even as Banner stated, he put a bullet through his head and the other guy spit it out..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.