Question about the Exile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

red8
At the end of KotOR2, the Jedi Masters say that the Exile subconsciously forms force bonds with everyone around her, dominates their minds, and feeds off their energy.

How much truth is there to this?

Early on in the game, you can choose to attack a group of enemies. After the fight, Atton seems like he has just been through a Jedi mind trick and says something along the lines of being unsure why he fought the enemies and that it just felt right because of the Exile.

Later on, Kreia talks about how charismatic the Exile is and how easily people tend to follow her.

Kreia also talks about how the Exile chose to sever her connection to the force and become a wound while Nihilus chose to embrace the force and became a wound.

People just being around Nihilus for an adequate amount of time became his slave. The Jedi Masters are claiming that the same phenomenon occurs around the Exile.

Kreia ultimately disagrees with the Jedi Masters about this issue, but could the Jedi Masters have been right? Is the Exile a light-side Nihilus?

For the sake of this question, could we ignore post KotOR2 references?

Nephthys
Originally posted by red8
Is the Exile a light-side Nihilus?

Yep.

This is why when you get high influence with people their alignment changes to match yours. The Exile is literally changing their personality.

Tzeentch
I wonder then how it can be argued that her companions are not basically mindless sycophants who don't really have a good reason for following you other than "because she's teh ossum".

Nephthys
As usual the game is ahead on that topic:

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2048/img-34.JPG

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2048/img-7.gif "That is the danger of their beliefs. They do not understand you, what it means to be human, and lead. The feelings I have for you are because of what I see, what I hear in your voice, all that tells me you are a natural leader. I follow because I believe in you. I would die for you because I believe in you."

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2048/img-35.JPG

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2048/img-7.gif "I look at you and see that perhaps a life untouched by the Force isnot the punishment it is believed to be. I understand if you feel you must go on alone, but I ask that you do not."

http://lparchive.org/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II/Update%2048/img-36.JPG

They aren't just following because of the connections. And gaining influence with them is still something that the Exile does through actually gaining their respect as a friend and leader.

Furthermore ALL of them have legitimate reasons for following the Exile beyond the force bonds.

Also I like it that Kreia is the only one who isn't affected by your alignment no matter how much influence with her you get (other than the droids iirc). Thats just really clever.

Stealth Moose
Meetra = the Jim Jones of Star Wars.

Also, I love how all this context completely did not show up in Revan.

Fated Xtasy
Well as a dark-sided Exile You do morph your allies into slaves but I think that as a light-sided nihilius you don't morph them you make them see the force through you, in the sense that for a time they were blinded because of one thing or another(e.g Atton being, Visas being crippled by nihilius, Mira's bitterness towards Jedi etc) I think you inspire your allies to do what's right, to follow the code even after being broken by malachor's echo. Remember Nihilius became the way he is because malachor broke him but unlike the exile he didn't cut himself of from the force, he drained the force from two other Jedis which is what started his hunger and descend into madness. I believe Meetra(the exile) could influence other easily but because she still held the code close to her she didn't abuse of her power. That my opinion anway

DarthAnt66
Yet in the Revan novel, the Exile was nothing more then a "powerful Jedi Master." sad

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Yet in the Revan novel, the Exile was nothing more then a "powerful Jedi Master." sad
While I think Scourge killing Meetra Surik is complete and utter bullshit its to be expected from GL who doesn't want anyone to reach the heights of Luke or Sidious on terms of power. And while I like both characters it really bothers me that GL and company dont want to give other characters a chance.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
While I think Scourge killing Meetra Surik is complete and utter bullshit its to be expected from GL who doesn't want anyone to reach the heights of Luke or Sidious on terms of power. And while I like both characters it really bothers me that GL and company dont want to give other characters a chance.

GL probably has no clue who Revan/Exile and Scourge are; I'd blame Drew K. for basically pretending like large parts of KotOR II didn't happen. The amount of discontinuity is what makes Revan a shitty novel; not necessarily the prose.

Nephthys
Drew made her a completely ordinary Jedi Master, though at least he had SOME basis for it. He based it off that Ithorian dude at the start of the game saying that the Exile could repair her connection to the Force eventually. Its just that this is never stated to have occurred other than Drew himself going 'oh yeah that totally happened, whatever.'

Also Revan is a completely mediocre/shitty book based on the prose and story alone imo. The writing is (again, imo) aggressively mediocre. Revan himself is an utterly uninteresting character and hilariously incompetent for such a renowned genius and warrior. The other characters aren't handled well (and in the case of one of them... well, you know). The plot is rather lame. The worst thing imo about the book though is that its entire purpose is just to set things up for Swtor instead of being a quality story in its own right or a satisfying conclusion to the events of Kotors 1 & 2. A complete waste of potential.

juyomaster34
While I think Scourge killing Meetra Surik is complete and utter bullshit its to be expected from GL who doesn't want anyone to reach the heights of Luke or Sidious on terms of power. And while I like both characters it really bothers me that GL and company dont want to give other characters a chance. big grin big grin laughing laughing big grin big grin

what you said !!!!I agree 100%
It bothers,me too....

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Nephthys
Drew made her a completely ordinary Jedi Master, though at least he had SOME basis for it. He based it off that Ithorian dude at the start of the game saying that the Exile could repair her connection to the Force eventually. Its just that this is never stated to have occurred other than Drew himself going 'oh yeah that totally happened, whatever.'

Also Revan is a completely mediocre/shitty book based on the prose and story alone imo. The writing is (again, imo) aggressively mediocre. Revan himself is an utterly uninteresting character and hilariously incompetent for such a renowned genius and warrior. The other characters aren't handled well (and in the case of one of them... well, you know). The plot is rather lame. The worst thing imo about the book though is that its entire purpose is just to set things up for Swtor instead of being a quality story in its own right or a satisfying conclusion to the events of Kotors 1 & 2. A complete waste of potential.

thumb up

Oddly enough, Drew's work with Mass Effect is really good, and he made the only redeemable Baldur's Gate book as well.

Nephthys
Did you know that there was supposed to be a chapter with Carth in it, but Drew simply forgot to write it until after he'd already turned the book in?

Professionalism ho!

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
thumb up

Oddly enough, Drew's work with Mass Effect is really good, and he made the only redeemable Baldur's Gate book as well.

You see, he's not a bad writer, im sure he wanted to do a lot of stuff in the TOR: Revan Novel but, remember, that owner's have to take look at it and make sure no one reaches the same of The Skywalkers or Sidious, I know a lot of you might disagree with me on this but come on! we all know GL and company LOVE to shove the skywalkers in our faces(I have no problem with them, but its starting to get old, they're like the songs of today, they're really good at first, but, eventually they'll start to get annoying) I mean I cant be the only one whose kind of sick of Skywalker/Solos right?

S_W_LeGenD
I also think that Mr. Drew did a very poor job with his novel about Revan; he completely wasted a golden opportunity to do justice with even his own character (forget Meetra).

It seems as if Mr. Drew wasn't interested in writing a novel about Revan.

@Fated Xtasy

Their are plenty of Star Wars works in which characters have decent feats. It is not as if Mr. Drew had to explicitly mention that Revan is in the league of Luke and Sidious (this would have been irrelevant anyways due to timeline factor alome), he should have explored Revan in great detail and granted him lot of feats in the novel. The rest would have been left to the imagination of the readers.

NTJack0
He's not a bad writer, it's just the novel shouldn't have been made at all, I can't imagine he actually thought it was worth publishing.

It was more of a tie in for TOR then an actual book.

Stealth Moose
It could have been an e-comic. The fact that Revan's sacrifice is undermined by his actions and morality shift in TOR, and Bastila somehow became a hausfrau.

juyomaster34
You see, he's not a bad writer, im sure he wanted to do a lot of stuff in the TOR: Revan Novel but, remember, that owner's have to take look at it and make sure no one reaches the same of The Skywalkers or Sidious, I know a lot of you might disagree with me on this but come on! we all know GL and company LOVE to shove the skywalkers in our faces(I have no problem with them, but its starting to get old, they're like the songs of today, they're really good at first, but, eventually they'll start to get annoying) I mean I cant be the only one whose kind of sick of Skywalker/Solos right?

You'r right,it is starting to get annoying....
I agree...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.