Evolve

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
This is a game from the creators of Left 4 Dead. Its a four person multiplayer experience against aliens now (apparently one massive alien controlled by another player that gets stronger as the game goes on). This game is a next gen ONLY experience (about damn time we have a next gen game not held back back old gen).

Teaser Site

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/left-4-dead-creators-turtle-rock-unveil-evolve

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/01/cov_250_front_610.jpg

ares834
Some more details.

This sounds really promising.

Nemesis X
That's a relief. Considering the L4D games are only on the Xbox and PC, I got kinda worried this would too.

Stealth Moose
This might be really good. L4D games had some great longevity too.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
This might be really good. L4D games had some great longevity too. Yep, I can still pop in L4D2 when I have some friends over and have a blase. The replayability in those games is through the roof. Definitely looking forward to this.

ares834
GzpwGKF5BLE

6j6WbVF8cho

Looks great.

Arachnid1
Agreed! That will be a blast to play with friends

Kazenji
I read from that latest Gameinformer mag "Above" regarding the second Left 4 Dead game, Turtle Rock Studios wasn't even involved with it it was Strictly Valve involved with that one.

Nemesis X
m97O1dQAyhc

Impediment
I read this in last month's Game Informer.

Looks like a lot of fun. I'm glad that it'll be available for PS4.

Arachnid1
That video looks amazing. I was worried that the Goliath would be at a disadvantage in 1v4, but that thing is monstrous. I'm impressed.

Tzeentch
This looks ****ing awesome.

mechagoomba
I disagree

Tzeentch
shut up nerd i'll crush your cygnar losers

Lek Kuen
So hyped for this game. I only hope there is a lot of depth to monster evolution

mechagoomba
Originally posted by Tzeentch
shut up nerd i'll crush your cygnar losers

is that a threat little man

because I know youve been avoiding getting online out of fear

flex

Tzeentch
14 hours later

stand down beta your cowardice is confirmed

mechagoomba
sorry I had shit to do before I could respond to the common plebs

Nemesis X
We finally got a release date. October 21st.

We also get new hunters:

FngGmegQajc

Nemesis X
Good news: a new monster appears and it's apparently Cthulhu.

dV_sk4f3l_o

Bad news: What you just watched is a "DLC" trailer that will be exclusive to the Xbone for a limited time and if you don't pre-order Evolve, you'll have to pay for it.

ares834
Holy crap that looks awesome.

Nemesis X
Okay I was wrong. The developers actually told me not too long ago the new monster is available to everyone and is not DLC so expect to play as the Kraken when you buy the game regardless whether you have Xbone or PS4.

0mega Spawn
Sounds great.

Also makes me regret selling AvP.
that feeling you get playing the monster mmm

Smasandian
Looks promising. I wonder how well this game plays SP only. I really enjoyed playing Left 4 Dead with friends (especially in a LAN party setting) but SP left a bit much to be desired.

RaventheOnly
I want to play this soooooo bad. smile I also hope there is a solid single play option as I am a bit tired of solely hoping to not have to fight trolls.

Nemesis X
Evolve's been pushed back to February 10th next year. It would seem 2K doesn't want it to compete with the new Borderlands coming out soon.

While I do get absolutely livid with delays, I'm okay with this. Already have my hands full with the other games coming out this year.

Smasandian
Not going to say it, not going to say, not going to say it!

Hahahaha.

Impediment
qOdnV9zGMRw

Looks pretty goddamn amazing. Want now.

Estacado
Definetly looking forward to this.

Smasandian
Tried the beta. I didn't like it. It was kind of boring.

Estacado
3rd monster.
sb2WWQelGaY

Arachnid1
That thing actually seems terrifying. The monsters in this game are all pretty well done. Can't wait!

Estacado
Originally posted by Arachnid1
That thing actually seems terrifying. The monsters in this game are all pretty well done. Can't wait!
Wraith seems like the most badass one watched some gameplay.
Since he is the stealth based monster he has the least health but does the most damage.

He is really fast has a warp move for traveling.
His powers are

Decoy:it makes him invisible and uses a moving hologram to distract enemies
Supernova:it enhance the speed and damage of the attacks
rush (forgot the name):you do a rush attack and when it connects it does an areal explosion
abduction:with this you can separate 1 hunter from the other

Nemesis X
I don't get why some of you find Evolve boring. It's no different than Left 4 Dead gameplay wise and I'm certain some of you enjoyed that despite it's "lack of content" and repeated run-throughs.

Smasandian
I think it's slightly different.

Left 4 Dead had a bajillion zombies attacking you and multiple special zombies popping up. It also had set pieces as well.

Evolve just seemed boring in comparison. If you following birds until a monster popped up. Didn't seem fun. Maybe it will be different when released.

Arachnid1
The Evolve beta for Xbox One is out today. It ends the 19th.

I'll let you guys know what I think a bit later.

Arachnid1
So far, this games a blast. Yesterday marks the first time I played a game for almost 12 hours straight in my entire (short) adult life (22).

I'll start off with the bad. First off, the game seems a little light on content. At launch, it will have 4 game modes (two variants of each, which doesn't add much), 8 playable unique characters (4 more in DLC), 3 playable monsters (1 more in DLC), and 12+ maps.

The large amount of maps doesn't matter. None of the existing maps are unique in any notable way, so they all kind of blend together. It really may as well be 4 maps for all the difference it makes.

3 or 4 playable monsters might get old kind of quickly. The overall dynamic of each map doesn't change. At level 1, its at a disadvantage and would get rocked if it tried to fight the hunters. Level 2 is more of a toss up, but the monster can win if its clever. The monster runs and gets hunted across map in the beginning of each map until it gets to level 3. At level 3, it doesn't take much skill to slaughter the hunters.

The only thing that makes the hunt different is the monsters. They all evade and play a little differently, so tracking them is a little different for the hunters too. The same 4 monsters might get old.

The small character pool to pick from and lack of customization also saps the experience with the hunters of choice. You pick your role, and your role does the same thing every match. I do like the idea of archetype hunters with their own roles to play, but you should at least let people pick their own load outs and tech. A customizable character with a big tech pool would have gone a long way.

Also, for me, I didn't really enjoy playing the monster. From what I've heard though, this is unique to me. Ive met people who enjoy playing the monster more than the hunters, and they played the monster with me hunting for like 10 games straight. I've also met people with no real preference.

Now for the good. The game is a ton of fun. I did say earlier that it could get tedious, but after almost 12 hours of playing with a friend yesterday, I was still just as excited to play some more when I woke up today as I was yesterday.

I only have hunt mode available, but I've loved every match so far. I have had some epic moments. The kraken is powerful monster, and actually induced fear a few times when it reached level 3 and my group waited with traps ready at the power generators for it to show. Its faster than the goliath, fly's around, and has a great assortment of abilities.

The dynamic weather system also adds a good amount of variability to each game. I told you before that none of the maps really stand out. They're designs and textures don't vary. Only the layout does. The weather system, on the other hand, randomly added light snow and frosty surroundings to full blown blizzards, dense foggy areas to compliment dead trees, sprinkles of rain to absolute downpours, (etc...). The dynamic rain gave each the maps a completely different feel, and made the world feel more real.

I also ragged on the archetype characters earlier, despite the fact that I actually like them. Each has their own role to play, and each character within each archetype plays their roles completely differently. For example, the two medics I played with. One had a med gun to heal the team. This came in useful during quiet moments to get the team back up to full functionality. They also had a slow semi-auto sniper. and a tranq that slows monster movement. The other one couldn't really heal the team, but he had a lazarus gun that allows him to bring anyone back from the dead. His sniper was also a lot more rapid in its firing.

The trackers also serve as another example. One hunter has a dog that sniffs out the monster and you follow it around map. The other puts down little beacons anywhere around the map that tracks the monster if it walks within a certain radius. The other one has a tracking dart gun which he uses to shoot wild life. The monster then eats the wild life and has the tracker in him for a set time showing you were he goes.

The variability between each character makes each one work differently, and stand out. They also all have their own distinct personalities and dialogue that wouldn't be possible with customized characters

As for the monster, I didn't spend too much time with him. I played as the monster 3 times, and won every time. That should give you an idea of how powerful they are if you play smartly. For example, the best monster players make heavy use of stealth mode. That got me out of some stick spots, and got me some brutal kills. It also served to make the most tense games when I was playing as a hunter and the monster player would seemingly disappear despite really being in close proximity to me.

Still, the monster isn't for me. I enjoy the co-op of the hunters too much. This is all up to preference. Like I said, one dude I encountered only played monsters, and he was a beast with his unlocked kraken. Theres a video below of how to play a good monster.

Overall, it's good enough for a buy, for me. For anyone else though, I'd recommend you wait till a little closer to release to hear reviews if you cant play the beta now and form your own opinion. Have it on preorder just incase though (you get the behemoth monster for free if you preorder).

qPkbFISKZZY

Also, from what I've heard, you get to keep your unlocks from this beta.

Here are some good tips too.

Arachnid1
If anyone ones to play, feel free to pm me

Nemesis X
Here's the pre-order bonus monster.

bduzyz9_fX8

Nemesis X
1D6PjHM5gV0

Nemesis X
I decided not to get this. It's a cool game. A really, really cool game but I don't think Evolve is worth the $60. All the early DLC announcements compared to the bare minimum you get at retail raised one too many red flags. I'll just wait for a price drop thank you.

Tzeentch
thumb up

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I decided not to get this. It's a cool game. A really, really cool game but I don't think Evolve is worth the $60. All the early DLC announcements compared to the bare minimum you get at retail raised one too many red flags. I'll just wait for a price drop thank you. Now that sufficient time has passed to think about it, I think I agree actually.

Nemesis X
Anyone getting that weird feeling Titanfall, Destiny, and Evolve were all one game then someone thought it best to divide the key features for some reason thus creating these separate titles? Noting the five month gap between both game's release dates and pointing out the fact the three shooters have as much the disappointingly minimal amount of content as the other raises questions.

Arachnid1
Whats the deal with next-gen games being so sparce on content? I really expected more when I bought my One.

Man, I need MGSV in my life.

Smasandian
Because people eat this shit up. They buy it and then buy the seasons pass.

I also think because developers are still figuring out the systems and don't have enough time.

Destiny should of had more interesting content, Titanfall should of had a SP campaign that was not glorified MP and I don't know about Evolve because I'm probably not picking up.

I think the issue is that the games are being released for full price when they should be around 30-40 bucks. Out of all them, I do think Titanfall was what it was, I don't remember when playing it that I got screwed.....

MGSV is probably going to be massive but don't forget that Konami is the biggest bullshitter when the released MGS Ground Zeroes....at 40 bucks for about 3 hours. And, almost had the balls to release at full price. What's even worst is that Ground Zeroes is clearly the prologue that should of been released with MGSV.

Nemesis X
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evolve-launches-with-136-worth-of-dlc/1100-6425237/

I think I'm going to be sick.

Smasandian
At first, I thought, oh well, it's character customization but then I realized how much bullshit that is.

In free to play, I can understand charging money for character skins because that's the point of it but for a $69 game (which is bullshit next gen crap they did 8 years ago), withholding skins is crap. It would of been nice if people could customize looks.

Robtard
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evolve-launches-with-136-worth-of-dlc/1100-6425237/

I think I'm going to be sick.

"If you wanted to buy all of the Evolve DLC available right now it would cost you $136, on top of the $60 game"

And then the audacity to say:

"developers spoke out to make clear that Evolve's DLC scheme is not meant to "leech" money out of players."

If $200.00 dollars for a full game isn't "leeching" the customer, I really don't know what is

Smasandian
Yeah, it is brutal.

If this was released 6 months from now, I wouldn't care because they clearly did not create this content before the game was released...but there is no way they created all these things after the game hit gold.

And, it's even worst that it's not even part of the ****ing seasons pass!

Nemesis X
Evolve should've been a free-to-play like Killer Instinct on the Xbox One if the developers are going to be relying so much on DLC.

Smasandian
Maybe.

I have no interest in the game. While I only played a few matches, it wasn't fun. I basically was "tracking" the monster and then shit broke loose.

What was missing was the spectacle that Left 4 Dead had in the Director.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Robtard
"If you wanted to buy all of the Evolve DLC available right now it would cost you $136, on top of the $60 game"

And then the audacity to say:

"developers spoke out to make clear that Evolve's DLC scheme is not meant to "leech" money out of players."

If $200.00 dollars for a full game isn't "leeching" the customer, I really don't know what is Man, this is bullsh*t

Whatever, I got my 12 hours of fun gameplay from the beta. I don't feel like being screwed, so I'll be skipping this. Sincerely hope this game crashes and burns.

Zack Fair

I think I'm going to be sick. lol. Looks like I'll pass on this. Shame cause it looked cool.

Impediment
This is an even bigger insult than what Capcom did with Asura's Wrath.

Passing on this game. And I really wanted to play it, too.

TheHulk
And suddenly the amount of hate is astounding....hmmm maybe i'll try it to see if it is any good...

Smasandian
It doesn't help that it's a co-op/MP game only.

As with Titanfall, what's the point of creating all this cool immersion shit if there isn't a SP campaign to speak of.

Arachnid1
I've never minded the co-op/MP only aspect

Just the execution

BlackZero30x
I like the game. Trapper is my preferred class and Griffin my character. 3 stared him. I just started picking up Lazarus for healing too.

All the skins in this game suck. Even the ones you unlock through play. As for the only MP/Co-op....I don't mind it but I do always prefer single player stories. Also there is solo mode. Make privet lobbies and play by yourself if you don't wanna play online.

Nemesis X
Q8ziNKCURbQ

Kazenji
We've gotten ripped off with this game through Steam here in Australia, ****en $80 or more.

Smasandian
Yeah, Canada does get a bit screwed with prices but that's ****ing crazy.

Smasandian
I watched the Angry Joe review and I'm surprised that he never mentioned Turtle Rock previous games.

Both Left 4 Dead's somehow did not have the issues he described. Maybe the AI Director was that important to that game....

Or maybe Turtle Rock leaving Valve stopped them from having that Valve magic.

Nemesis X
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/03/11/take-two-president-evolve-dlc-sold-well-despite-controversy/

facepalm

Kazenji
That's gamer's for you these days.

Smasandian
Haha, they have no problem with Nvidia streaming games but always on is a no-no.

Impediment
So, does anyone have any new comments about this game? I want to play it, but I'm still leery that all this controversy about the DLC will affect the experience for me.

Smasandian
Never played it.

From what I have heard is that it's a different version of Left 4 Dead but none of the cool elements that made those two games great.

Nemesis X
Either this is a desperate attempt or the gaming community seriously helped made Evolve the new DOTA.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/ESL-Hosting-100-000-Evolve-Tournament-June-71511.html

Nemesis X
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/evolve-ships-2-5-million-copies-publisher-calls-it/1100-6427427/

over

Nemesis X
You did this, gamer community. Thanks to you, the threat of the precedent that free-to-plays will be a thing of the past exists. Let's beg companies to let us pay $60 for League of Legends/Killer Instinct while we're at it and get a handful of characters but still have to pay for the rest of the roster.

Nemesis X
Having bought the game at a very, very low price, I can say without buyer remorse that I'm enjoying Evolve and loving the gameplay but would it have been worth the $60? Definitely not. While it's fun playing the badass monster and the hunts as team human can be exhilarating, not really enough content to justify its current price.

My advice: wait for a BIG price drop. Until then, go to your shelf and dust off your old Left 4 Dead copy and it's a better game anyway.
The community for the Xbox 360 version still thrives believe it or not.

Nemesis X
Before the updates, this game was okay. Now it's a piece of unbalanced shit with barely a community (I keep running into the same people every day for god sakes) keeping it going.

I've dealt with so much bullshit from other multiplayer games but Evolve has reduced me to a cackling lunatic. So many updates left and right. Nerfs, buffs, lobby loadouts altering each month. These developers don't know what the **** they're doing.

Smasandian
Really, that's brutal. What a waste.

Nemesis X
Just wanted to bump this to tell anyone with an Xbox One that the Evolve Ultimate Edition, the one with all the DLC, will be free to download for Gold members next month so if you were curious enough to try it without ever spending money, here's your chance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.