Star Wars Canon becoming one canon

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DARTH POWER
Finally!

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-bits-star-wars-canon-to-be-unified-plus-rebels-character-names-tupac-and-katee-sackhoff/

Intrepid37
I don't understand.

DARTH POWER
^ Before when Lucas owned Star Wars, Canon was usually divided into 2 different canons. Lucas's canon (as in what's canon to him) and the rest of the EU comics and books which Lucas doesn't even read. This has always been a issue because even though Lucas would sometimes borrow elements from the EU, he would usually ignore it and even outright contradict it when making more Star Wars films and animations.

But now with Disney in charge they're claiming there won't be a distinction in the canonicity of anything they make. It will all just be canon. End of.

Intrepid37
Ah. That's nothing new to this forum, though, since this forum discussed the Film+EU continuity.

DARTH POWER
I think people here will appreciate that Disney is making it all the same Canon now.

There was always issues in this forum when the movies or TCW would blatantly contradict the rest of the EU.

Excalibur2776
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
I think people here will appreciate that Disney is making it all the same Canon now.

There was always issues in this forum when the movies or TCW would blatantly contradict the rest of the EU.

But, there can be a downside of this. Maybe they will make certain characters non-canon to coincide with the new movies, like maybe Mara Jade, Thrawn, ect .......

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Excalibur2776
But, there can be a downside of this. Maybe they will make certain characters non-canon to coincide with the new movies, like maybe Mara Jade, Thrawn, ect .......

That's true. And that was always a possibility/probability as soon as the sequels were announced. Because they wanted to start fresh and Lucas himself would ignore previous eu canon.

But at least this move ensures that future eu canon will not suffer the same fate (in theory).

Lord Lucien
The most important part of that article is being overlooked: Tupac would have been Mace Windu.

Q99
Honestly I kinda feel that multi-level canon made sense. Or rather, at least in prioritizing what-trumps-what.

I'm going to keep counting the movies above other stuff ^^

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Q99
Honestly I kinda feel that multi-level canon made sense. Or rather, at least in prioritizing what-trumps-what.

I'm going to keep counting the movies above other stuff ^^

Well the main reason that was needed was Lucas's work would mostly ignore the EU so there were blatant contradictions everywhere.

But hopefully now making it all 1, the idea will be not to have blatant contradictions, so there shouldn't be any need to prioritize (in theory).

Of course it will be a b**** for the film makers not being allowed to contradict any future EU stuff.

Arhael
That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different. Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Arhael
That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different.

I think the difference is that with the X-Men the TV, Movie and Comics are not supposed to be a "Shared" Universe. Whilst with Star Wars it's all supposed to be part of the same Universe, whatever the medium.

For example "X-Men the movie" does not exist in the cartoons and comics. However "Star Wars:A New Hope" is part of the continuity of all Star Wars material.

Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

That's what they've always done, but I think this is Disney saying they're going to take more care with that. Probably have EU experts working with the film makers.

However this is only true for any future EU. Any EU made in the past is still under risk of being wiped out (as far as I understand).

Based
That doesn't make continuity safe though. For example X-Men Series, X-Men Animated Series, X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men. All are X-Men, yet, plot is totally different. Same way they might create a film with events that contradict EU and not care like it's a totally different version of the same thing.

Except those aren't "one canon" it's blatantly separate universes. However I agree with your concerns though I'm still skeptical about keeping continuity in check.

DARTH POWER
There will always be mistakes. Heck there's countless mistakes between the X-Men movies which are all in the same continuity and medium. But at least now in SW they won't be doing it knowingly or purposely.

Adi Gallia's death in TCW for instance was a big contradiction that they full well knew about when doing it. That sort of thing is likely to stop now.

Gambler
A welcome step!

Based
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
There will always be mistakes. Heck there's countless mistakes between the X-Men movies which are all in the same continuity and medium. But at least now in SW they won't be doing it knowingly or purposely.

Adi Gallia's death in TCW for instance was a big contradiction that they full well knew about when doing it. That sort of thing is likely to stop now.

Well I'm sure they aren't going to write material that contradicts their own material.

I'm not so sure that they won't retcon major parts of the universe, like saying KOTOR never happened or that Luke never got married or whatever.

Shey Tapani
Most likely LOTF and FOTJ will be retconned and i have 0 problem with that.

Q99
Originally posted by Shey Tapani
Most likely LOTF and FOTJ will be retconned and i have 0 problem with that.

No loss there.

Though unfortunately, that also catches the Legacy comics in the mix.

Based
Apparently the rumors say we're losing everything from post-ROTJ. There's a lot of shit but there's a lot of quality stuff there too.

Q99
I think this is a plot by the One Sith.

One Canon, one sith, neatly probably eliminates their rival New Jedi Order, think about it....

Shey Tapani
Originally posted by Q99
No loss there.

Though unfortunately, that also catches the Legacy comics in the mix.

They can be a moved but it might not be necessary since its about 100 years after LOTF.

Shey Tapani
Originally posted by Based
Apparently the rumors say we're losing everything from post-ROTJ. There's a lot of shit but there's a lot of quality stuff there too.

Rumors by whom?

Based
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/01/op-ed-disney-takes-a-chainsaw-to-the-star-wars-expanded-universe/

It's obviously not the best source but they're acting like it's a fact. Like I said i's just a rumor.

Shey Tapani
Star Trek also has a story group thingie according to the guy who does the IDW comics and they had done a pretty good job so far. I have faith. I heard it on a Fictional Forontiers podcast. Star Wars is not tainted despite the Prequels so i am optimistic.

REXXXX
The gist I am getting is that they will either consider it canon or non-canon, not canon and kind of canon. Meaning some things will be voided.

Shey Tapani
Or an asteroied will kill us all and you will have no idea.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.