Could the Wii U be Nintendo's last console?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

VG_Addict
The Wii U is currently flopping. I don't think Nintendo has ever had a console do as poorly as it is right now. Will they drop out next gen?

Astner
I'm sure we'll have a new version of the 3DS announced before this year's over.

BlackZero30x
I think they may try again but the handhelds will definitely keep on coming.

S_D_J
Originally posted by VG_Addict
The Wii U is currently flopping. I don't think Nintendo has ever had a console do as poorly as it is right now. Will they drop out next gen?

I don't know hard numbers, but I think the GameCube tanked as bad

And no, "Nintendoom is not nigh"

The Wii was an anomaly, It (s success) shouldn't have existed . Nintendo thought they could continue to ignore the current trend in the industry for a second time and now they fail, but they got the DS to bounce back on just like they did with the Gameboy

Bentley
Originally posted by S_D_J
The Wii was an anomaly, It (s success) shouldn't have existed.

Eh, this is beautiful reasoning. The Wii not only should exist, but it existed and had some great sales numbers. I think I get what you mean, but the idea of a cheap family console when the first generation of gamers became full grown adults actually makes sense as a trend.

Anyways, as per the topic, the Wii U is not doing all that bad, but it would certainly perform bad enough for Nintendo to try a different approach the next time they try to jump into the console wagon. I think they'll be going for the handheld/console hybrid next time.

MooCowofJustice

Virtual Boy.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Astner
You mean another one besides the 3DS XL and 2DS? stick out tongue On a side note-

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/01/next-level-games-nintendo/

This should be cool in addition to the other good studios Nintendo has under their belt.

As for the main topic, was pretty much expected, but it is what it is I guess.

Smasandian
GameCube didn't do well either. Sold only 21 million consoles.

In my opinion, I think the Wii U is the last console they will have. Analysts and other predictors have suggested this might be the last console generation as well.

But I won't be surprised if they release another one though.

VG_Addict
So, do most of you think this will be the last console by Nintendo?

Tzeentch
H-have you read the posts in this thread?

Zack Fair
Hm Last console generation? Why? I doubt that will happen. There is just something about the ease of just buying a console.

Nemesis X
So, do most of you think this will be the last console by Nintendo?

It probably will but this should never have happened. My guess the reason sales are poor is because the Wii U is not as big a multimedia device like, say, the Xbone. Why are people so obsessed with multimedia?

Zack Fair
The reason it is doing poorly are 2 or 3 things IMHO:

1. Inferior specs. No hit "gimmick."
2. History of Nintendo's consoles being paperweight if it weren't for the first party support. AKA lack of 3rd party developers.
3. No real leverage/need/importance on the main "hardcore" gamers

They can all be put as one, but really thats why I think it is sucking.

I honestly doubt its because of "multi-media" interface/options.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Bentley
Eh, this is beautiful reasoning. The Wii not only should exist, but it existed and had some great sales numbers. I think I get what you mean, but the idea of a cheap family console when the first generation of gamers became full grown adults actually makes sense as a trend.

Anyways, as per the topic, the Wii U is not doing all that bad, but it would certainly perform bad enough for Nintendo to try a different approach the next time they try to jump into the console wagon. I think they'll be going for the handheld/console hybrid next time.

My point, just to clear it, was that Nintendo was not meant to be as successful as they were with the Wii. They were supposed, and this was on record, to make a cheap family console (as you put it) to keep they cost down while keeping their legacy.
GC hurt them really bad so from the get go they were aiming low: Selling a lot of regular stuff at lower price/ selling less premium at a higher price was their angle. the Wii was supposed to be a "$100" console, just as the GC became once it tanked. Obviously that never came to happen as a price cut never came (at the same time other consoles had price-cuts)

They also created (or tapped) a whole new market: Casual
That kept them high above their competition

But they thought they could continue that trend without realizing their "casual" crowd were going to another much accessible (yet much more expensive) market: Smart Phones

Originally posted by Zack Fair
The reason it is doing poorly are 2 or 3 things IMHO:

1. Inferior specs. No hit "gimmick."
2. History of Nintendo's consoles being paperweight if it weren't for the first party support. AKA lack of 3rd party developers.
3. No real leverage/need/importance on the main "hardcore" gamers

They can all be put as one, but really thats why I think it is sucking.

I honestly doubt its because of "multi-media" interface/options.

I'll add the stupid name to those points.

Naming it WiiU (instead of going with a much simpler Wii 2) created brand confusion

The casual market had no idea what it was, and since it was marketed along side the wiimotes, they thought it was yet another peripheral instead of a new console and dismissed it right away.

adding the "2" says it all (PS2, PS3, Iphone4, Iphone5, GalaxySII, GalaxyS4, and so on)

I still see people buying their kids Wii, instead of WiiU since its much cheaper and, I quote, "still the same thing"

VG_Addict
But most of you think this will be their last console.

Utrigita
Hm Last console generation? Why? I doubt that will happen. There is just something about the ease of just buying a console.

Because given the timeframe each console works with, it's a likely scenario that the tablets and smartphones will simply have made the consoles irrelevant. Kinda like they are doing to laptops atm. Now I'm not saying I support this view, but I can see the logic behind it.

But most of you think this will be their last console.

No.

VG_Addict
But there's no need for Nintendo home consoles, anymore.

BlackZero30x
But there's no need for Nintendo home consoles, anymore.

Nintendo has basically been putting out party systems. As mentioned above for casual gamers. I think one problem is the consumers see "The Next Gen" as a console war and corporations eat that up because the more heated the war the more money they make. The Wii/U systems are victims of the single mindset that a lot of gamers share....It has to have amazing Graphics, lots of memory, and all the triple A titles. So while Nintendo hasn't thrown in the towel they have, in a way, dropped out of the war. So even if you are a fan of one of the "high end" gaming platforms you're gonna stick with that. If not then the typical person picks based on Graphics, Games, hardware...ect. So once someone has picked based upon what one they think is better, my question is...Why does the Wii need to compare? It's in a class of its own. I mean its a cheap system meant to play games everyone can enjoy. Why can't it exist along side the other systems? Im a hardcore gamer and I love mine. In fact my love for gaming drove up my interest. Playing Mario, Sonic, pikman, Zelda..ect are just as fun to me as GTA, Gears of war, Dark Souls, Injustice..ect. So let me answer your question with another question. It's affordable, has fun games, and a simple interface...why would there ever be "no need for it"?

Nemesis X
Is it just me or is VG_Addict asking these questions to purposely annoy anyone here who might be a Nintendo fan?

Bentley
My point, just to clear it, was that Nintendo was not meant to be as successful as they were with the Wii. They were supposed, and this was on record, to make a cheap family console (as you put it) to keep they cost down while keeping their legacy.
GC hurt them really bad so from the get go they were aiming low: Selling a lot of regular stuff at lower price/ selling less premium at a higher price was their angle. the Wii was supposed to be a "$100" console, just as the GC became once it tanked. Obviously that never came to happen as a price cut never came (at the same time other consoles had price-cuts)

I think the problem is that Nintendo failed to realize that they had already made a highly succesful family console that became a great hit with sales: the Game Boy.

They also created (or tapped) a whole new market: Casual
That kept them high above their competition

Mobile devices will without a doubt be the home of most casual gamers, but I have to disagree with the notion that the market the Wii created just disapeared. The real issue for Nintendo is that a console such as the Wii or the Game Boy -or mobile games for that matter-, lives and dies with it's third party support, which is Nintendo's Achilles heel right now.

In any case, the Wii U isn't what it takes ot reclaim the market of the Wii, but that isn't going to stop Nintendo from wanting the lightning to stike three times. They want to make a console that doesn't compete directly with the PS4 and the Xbone, in the way the 3DS is succesful and doesn't compete with the mobile phones directly. It's a hard balance to achieve.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Astner

Good. I hope they make it non-shit, so I can buy it.

Zack Fair
TBH I'm more interested in the Wii-U than I am the PS4 or Xbone.

Sacred 117
TBH I'm more interested in the Wii-U than I am the PS4 or Xbone.

I'm with you on that. Mainly because they'll actually be coming out with f**king games instead of selling with launch hype.

MooCowofJustice
I am in much of the same situation. I'm only interested in a PS4 for now for ESO.

Bentley
This reminds me one of the more intelligent comments about the Wii U I've heard: nobody wants to buy it, but everyone wants one.

It's pretty much a console you own when someone gives it to you as a gift.

Smasandian
I think it's just a cool thing to say.

I'm not buying it unless it's super cheap because there isn't any games for it. Aside from what Nintendo produces, there is nothing on it. And for myself, I stopped caring about Nintendo games for the last two years. They are all the same.

Kazenji
Wouldn't be surprised if Bayonetta 2 eventually comes to the other consoles.

Smasandian
I wouldn't be surprised as well.

S_D_J
I think the problem is that Nintendo failed to realize that they had already made a highly succesful family console that became a great hit with sales: the Game Boy.

I wouldn't necessarily call GB a family console, but it success is undeniable

Mobile devices will without a doubt be the home of most casual gamers, but I have to disagree with the notion that the market the Wii created just disapeared. The real issue for Nintendo is that a console such as the Wii or the Game Boy -or mobile games for that matter-, lives and dies with it's third party support, which is Nintendo's Achilles heel right now.

In any case, the Wii U isn't what it takes ot reclaim the market of the Wii, but that isn't going to stop Nintendo from wanting the lightning to stike three times. They want to make a console that doesn't compete directly with the PS4 and the Xbone, in the way the 3DS is succesful and doesn't compete with the mobile phones directly. It's a hard balance to achieve.

The market didn't disappeared. They got what they needed out of Nintendo: a Wii with Wii Sports. They since simply moved on

The thing is, Wii had little 3rd party support. What great 3rd party efforts there were yielded little reward to publishers. It became the dumping ground for Shovelware. Like I said, Wii was an anomaly. It thrived without proper 3rd party support. Just taking a look at their top 5 best selling games; they all were packed in either with a console or peripheral (only two of them were true AAA games, while the others were little more than tech demos)
Out of its top 25 best selling games, only two are 3rd Party: Just Dance and Just Dance 2.
It's hard to blame 3rd party developers when the numbers sing by themselves.

The so called "Hardcore" crowd started leaving Nintendo during the N64. I don't know if 3rd party support will help WiiU at this point. It's widely considered a toy for kids, and those who are interested in it are only waiting for Nintendo's guns.
And even when a superb Mario game is now out for it, it's hard to go with the investment when the proper next gen has just launched. There's nothing to play in it, but they're coming starting March, just about the same time Nintendo 1st party titles will be available.

Smasandian
I agree.

The people I knew who had a Wii and were not gamers bought it because they played it at somebodies house and enjoyed it.

Then realized after they bought it and played for about 6 months, it was just sitting there gathering dust for 3 years.

Heck, I know a few who don't even realize that the Wii U has been released!

Zack Fair
I am experiencing a Nintendo renaissance. Stayed out of Nintendo affairs ever since the Gamecube let me down and the Wii came out. I remember being extremely disappointed with Nintendo's approach and just saying **** it. They always had to do things different, which isn't bad but its kind of annoying. So anyways started playing some Nintendo emulators and am currently kind of hungry for the Zeldas and Marios, but like SDJ I'm still just waiting.

Kazenji
What made the Gamecube disappointing for you?

Smasandian
GC was disappointing because there wasn't any games for it, especially mature rated games.

VG_Addict
I don't know how anyone can say the GC didn't have any games.

Melee
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
Sunshine
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Geist

Bentley
I don't know if 3rd party support will help WiiU at this point. It's widely considered a toy for kids, and those who are interested in it are only waiting for Nintendo's guns.

At this point 3rd party support would come pretty handy, the real question is exactly how much support they need.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Kazenji
What made the Gamecube disappointing for you? I bought the Gamecube mostly because of the E3 tech demo of Link fighting Ganon. I was also looking forward to a great Mario game after the Mario 64 hype. Then Nintendo came up with Sunshine and it was average. The more "adult" Zelda game was replaced by Wind Waker and eventhough it was a great game and i consider it one of the funniest Zeldas, still kind of left a sour taste in my mouth. If it weren't for the REmake and Twin Snakes I would not have played much GC. It was literally collecting dust when compared to my PS2 and Xbox(mostly cause of Halo 2) Figures they announced Twilight Princess right after I sold my GC ~_~

Overall the console wasn't that bad, but it disappointed me a lot and then Nintendo's plans for the Wii made things worse for me.

Smasandian
I don't know how anyone can say the GC didn't have any games.

Melee
Eternal Darkness
Metroid Prime
Wind Waker
Sunshine
Pikmin
Animal Crossing
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Geist

WOW!

9 games!

Nemesis X

Smasandian
So Starfox, REmake, RE0, LoZ collection (which is just re-releasee of a previous game), and Pokemon are the only GC exclusives.

Again, the point was that GC game library was shit compared to the PS2. And I know! I had a GC and didn't have a PS2.

Ridley_Prime
Still disproves what you said about the Gamecube not having any mature games though. smile And to be fair, nothing at the time could really compare to the PS2's library. Sony was on fire during that gen while Nintendo was kinda just... experimenting before they went the casual route.

Smasandian
I guess I should of said not a lot of mature rated games.

But it didn't have a lot. Everybody says "oh it had RE4, RE0 and REmake!" but that's only three games.

As a whole, GC was entirely disappointing. You can look back and reminiscence about the games people played on it but during that generation, GC had barely anything to play.

BackFire
Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo transitions fully to handhelds in the future. WiiU could still turn around, though. A new Zelda game or a successor to Mario Galaxy and a lot of people will buy it at that point.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Smasandian
I guess I should of said not a lot of mature rated games.

But it didn't have a lot. Everybody says "oh it had RE4, RE0 and REmake!" but that's only three games.

As a whole, GC was entirely disappointing. You can look back and reminiscence about the games people played on it but during that generation, GC had barely anything to play.
Geist and Eternal Darkness were mature GC exclusives also, not just the Resident Evil stuff.

Compared to the PS2 or something at the time of course it didn't have that much to play, but still had some number of solid titles on its own merit.

ScreamPaste
The only real problem I think Nintendo is having is they're not shaking off the misconception that their consoles are for children. shrug

Astor Ebligis
Originally posted by BackFire
Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo transitions fully to handhelds in the future. WiiU could still turn around, though. A new Zelda game or a successor to Mario Galaxy and a lot of people will buy it at that point.

Super Mario 3D World is as good as a successor to Mario Ga;axy.

Smasandian
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
The only real problem I think Nintendo is having is they're not shaking off the misconception that their consoles are for children. shrug

That was the issue with the GameCube.

Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun with some of the titles on the GC (RE4 being one of my favourite experiences) but it was disappointing console.

Bentley
That's because Nintendo focused too much in power and specs on the Game Cube. Specs are a way to make your consoles too expensive without a real pay off when it comes to money... Which doesn't mean you can go around selling Tigers consoles.

I think that HD is costing Nintendo a lot of developing time in their own titles, this is going to hurt the Wii U in addition to the problem with 3rd party developers.

I'd argue that the "kiddy console look" is a non-factor when it comes to sales, it certainly doesn't give you much press, but in the end it's the games that allow you to shine in the console market.

BackFire
Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
Super Mario 3D World is as good as a successor to Mario Ga;axy.

It's not being advertised as such, though.

Tzeentch
That's because Nintendo focused too much in power and specs on the Game Cube. Specs are a way to make your consoles too expensive without a real pay off when it comes to money... Which doesn't mean you can go around selling Tigers consoles.

I think that HD is costing Nintendo a lot of developing time in their own titles, this is going to hurt the Wii U in addition to the problem with 3rd party developers.

I'd argue that the "kiddy console look" is a non-factor when it comes to sales, it certainly doesn't give you much press, but in the end it's the games that allow you to shine in the console market. The question I would ask in relation to that theory, is, why are these problems that only Nintendo faces? Both Microsoft and Sony had libraries that were massively more expansive than Nintendo's last-gen, yet their consoles and all the software on them were also much more powerful.

- - - - - - -

As long as Nintendo's flagship franchises remain Mario and friends, they will never get rid of the conception that it's a console for kids. Nintendo's 1st-party franchises, with the exception of Metroid, are all super kid-friendly happy-go-lucky whatevers. Their big money-maker was a bunch of shitty Wii-mote gimmick games like Wii-Dance Beyonce Edition and Wii-Fitness. The first thing you see when you turn the console on is your kiddy-cartoony Wii-Avatar person.

Leave the Nintendo realm and you find yourself face to face with Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, God of War, Last of Us, Gears of War, Uncharted, Bioshock... all the manly shit.

Mario versus Kratos, Mario versus Kratos. Hmm... which one's going to appeal to the adrenaline-junky action-gamer more...

If Nintendo wants to tap into the "mature gamer" market, it needs to invest in mature games. And not just multi-platform games like CoD. It needs its own mature-game franchises.

... for you douches out there who are thinking it, yes, I know that technically "violence, bitches and curse words" does not = mature.

wakkawakkawakka

AsbestosFlaygon
The sales figures of the Wii U last month (which should have been the highest selling point of the year) was abysmal.

I read somewhere that Nintendo plans to drop the Q1 figures by as much as 70%; that's around 4+ mil units.

Yeah, it's almost impossible for them to find any leverage in the console gaming industry in their current state. Not at this point.

In order for them to compete against the future PS and XBOX iterations, they need to:
a) use a competitive graphics chip
b) improve multimedia and online features
c) ADD THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

Bardock42
Nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft on their terms (especially cause their terms don't even make any money and are just subsidized), but on the other hand the gaming market of "casual" gamers they found with the Wii is being swallowed whole by mobile devices. So they have a bit of a conundrum hardware wise.

Bentley
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The question I would ask in relation to that theory, is, why are these problems that only Nintendo faces? Both Microsoft and Sony had libraries that were massively more expansive than Nintendo's last-gen, yet their consoles and all the software on them were also much more powerful.

I'd argue that the PS3 actually had quite a lot of troubles at launch because they were a technically superior machine that costed more and had no games. With time and their competitors dropping the ball, they more than made up to it, but to say that technology on itself gives you any sure advantage is a misrepresentation.

Nintendo investing in technology poses some extra problems now, since the PS and Xboxes are running in the same architecture. Even if Nintendo had a more powerful machine the time and money needed to master it would be discouraging for most game companies.

----

Calling for Nintendo to have more mature licenses it's still running under the assumption that their console is going to be mostly about 1st party titles. The Big N cannot hold a gaming system with just their production without heavily diversifying their investments -Nintendo could make a lot of money if they published big hits on Non-Nintendo platforms more often-. They need 3rd party support. If they have 3rd parties, those parties can make those quality "mature" games that the Nintendo systems lack.

In my opinion this is a more reasonable take on the mature games than expecting Nintendo to launch a mature license and be incredibly successful.

And yes, Nintendo needs to invest on their online capabilities.

Zack Fair
The problem with the PS3 was the BlueRay costing too much at the time.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Nintendo can't compete with Sony and Microsoft on their terms (especially cause their terms don't even make any money and are just subsidized), but on the other hand the gaming market of "casual" gamers they found with the Wii is being swallowed whole by mobile devices. So they have a bit of a conundrum hardware wise.
You have a point there.

Methinks the majority of the casual gamers now prefer portable consoles like smartphones, pads, or handhelds.

It's a win-win for the developers and the gamers; Google and Apple support 3rd party developers unlike Nintendo.
Developers spend less and earn more in that ecosystem. Thus, the developers create apps for smartphones instead of focusing on consoles.
In turn, the casual gamers spend less for more games.

Ridley_Prime
About Nintendo improving their online features/capabilities, couldn't agree more. Wish they'd be more consistent in the games they decide to give online. Tired of them still releasing games every now and then where there's only local co-op or some shit. This isn't the 80's/90's anymore. What if you don't have someone in your area who would play that game with you?

Some of their games would've no doubt sold more if they had online. Hell, plenty of their previously released games on the 3DS like Star Fox 64 (even if it is just a re-release) would've been phenomenal with online, whether it be versus or co-op.

VG_Addict
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The sales figures of the Wii U last month (which should have been the highest selling point of the year) was abysmal.

I read somewhere that Nintendo plans to drop the Q1 figures by as much as 70%; that's around 4+ mil units.

Yeah, it's almost impossible for them to find any leverage in the console gaming industry in their current state. Not at this point.

In order for them to compete against the future PS and XBOX iterations, they need to:
a) use a competitive graphics chip
b) improve multimedia and online features
c) ADD THIRD PARTY SUPPORT

All the reports for the December NPD say the Wii U had its best month yet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.