The Keystone pipeline and the Oil Industry

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
The Keystone XL pipeline.

Hundreds of Keystone protesters arrested

I made a similar thread on Facebook and I wanted to hear some other opinions here.

As a pipeliner, I strongly support the Keystone. I'm an industrial radiographer who does x-ray work on pipes and other types of non-destructive testing. I'm on pipelines every day and other areas of the oil fields.

Oil is necessary to sustain our way of life, people. If you're against pipelines, fracking, or just the oil industry, in general, then you need to give up your whole way of life, go live in the woods, learn how to make a bow & arrow to hunt for food, how to find drinkable water, and build a suitable shelter for protection from the weather and elements..

The food your eat, the clothes your wear, the house you live in, the car you drive, the medicine you take, the banks that house your money, and the computers and smart phones you are utilizing to read this right now are.......surprise, surprise, made possible from the oil industry. Oil is necessary for our entire way of life, and stupid hippie dumbasses cry and wail because they want to save a ****ing tree and not have some dumb animal's home destroyed by machinery. That's just how life is, people.

Bunch of hypocrites, I say. They protest pipelines one minute, and then update their Facebook status the next minute without even realizing the irony.

What do you think?

Stealth Moose
Why do you hate caribou, bro?

Omega Vision
I don't know enough about the pipeline to say I understand all the environmental impacts it might bring. That said, I have the feeling that environmentalists are exaggerating the risks.

There are a lot of pipelines in the world, and very rarely do even the worst-maintained ones have serious accidents. The oil and gas is going to be delivered one way or another, but it's less expensive and less polluting to transport it by pipeline than by truck or rail.

ArtificialGlory
Hippies suck. This is a well-known fact.

Shakyamunison
I drive a Prius.

Bardock42
I'm not sure which side you are on, Imp? Can you elaborate.

Also, does anyone else think of Key Lime Pie when hearing Keystone Pipe Line?

BackFire
While helping America, wouldn't the Keystone Pipe Line also help Canada? If so, I'm against it.

The Renegade
The thing is, I don't have to sit here and like the oil industry just because it's a necessity. If you support it, good for you, but don't sit here and try to call everyone who dislikes it or might have criticisms as "hypocritical." You'd be wrong.

I essentially have to live under the government and follow their rules. Would it be critical of me to be anti-government? Wait, what about corporations who supply most of what I purchase as a consumer? Would I be hypocritical if I was anti-corporate?

No, I wouldn't. Just because I live in a society doesn't mean I don't get to air complaints or criticisms about things I "have" to use, especially until we find alternative energy sources that are as cost effective and/or as accessible as oil is.

-Pr-
I've got nothing against oil pipelines. Well-maintained, they're fine imo.

Fracking, though? No thanks.

Stealth Moose
This is clearly a conspiracy against tundra wildlife. Five thousand likes will help us raise money to furnish them with lawyers.

BackFire
We can't like posts on this site though. Guess the tundra wildlife is doomed.

Stealth Moose
Use the report link button then. Help us hit 5k.

BackFire
Reported/liked. I hope I can help save those cute little animals.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
The Keystone XL pipeline.

Hundreds of Keystone protesters arrested

I made a similar thread on Facebook and I wanted to hear some other opinions here.

As a pipeliner, I strongly support the Keystone. I'm an industrial radiographer who does x-ray work on pipes and other types of non-destructive testing. I'm on pipelines every day and other areas of the oil fields.

Oil is necessary to sustain our way of life, people. If you're against pipelines, fracking, or just the oil industry, in general, then you need to give up your whole way of life, go live in the woods, learn how to make a bow & arrow to hunt for food, how to find drinkable water, and build a suitable shelter for protection from the weather and elements..

The food your eat, the clothes your wear, the house you live in, the car you drive, the medicine you take, the banks that house your money, and the computers and smart phones you are utilizing to read this right now are.......surprise, surprise, made possible from the oil industry. Oil is necessary for our entire way of life, and stupid hippie dumbasses cry and wail because they want to save a ****ing tree and not have some dumb animal's home destroyed by machinery. That's just how life is, people.

Bunch of hypocrites, I say. They protest pipelines one minute, and then update their Facebook status the next minute without even realizing the irony.

What do you think?

I'm not against the oil industry in general, as I like stuff and I like it cheap. It does suck that they have so much pull they can stop or slow over options from gaining speed.

But I'm also not against environmentalist keeping these companies in check so they minimize the impact on the environment, don't take shortcuts that could lead to oil spills etc. The enviro-crowd in a way keeps the oil companies honest to a degree.

I do have a problem with the far-left whacko environmentalist who are against everything, no matter what and resist any sort of compromise, while as you noted, benefitting directly from what they oppose.

Are these protester trying to stop the pipeline completely or are they protesting to have certain conditions met? eg building in a manner migration habit are nto affected, not deforresting an entire area, not making a species extinct etc.

jaden101
I think we should be generating energy from other sources(including nuclear...I'm not some renewables hippie) and keeping the oil for other industrial processes that don't have alternatives. Like burning people to death with necklace torture. And lube

Lord Lucien
On the plus side, we're getting closer to nuclear fusion. F*ck yeah.

Digi
Fracking happened in the mid-sized city I used to live in. Lots of protests, but it seemed to have a really hippy vibe to it. Which doesn't invalidate the protesting, but it seemed more ideological than factual (on both sides, actually). The fracking backers were deliberately obtuse when it came to environmental effect, though. Just straight-up boiler plate propoganda, without much substantial to support it. So it was hard to see them as unjustly criticized for at least not being more open.

In the end, I had no idea what to think. Still don't. It interests me though, I just know enough to know I don't know much.

The most cogent energy article I ever read, though, didn't back any one technology but explained how numerous sources could contribute to a more responsible energy situation on the planet. It was refreshingly devoid of a marketing slant or bias. It also didn't pull punches - some industries are much further along than others - but it wasn't an ideological thesis.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
On the plus side, we're getting closer to nuclear fusion. F*ck yeah.

LoL, fusion. There's a bloke working with NASA to create a warp-drive within the next century, means humanity will be able to travel to other civilizations and just take needed resources.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
LoL, fusion. There's a bloke working with NASA to create a warp-drive within the next century, means humanity will be able to travel to other civilizations and just take needed resources.

...and Earth becomes hated by the galactic community. This sounds like a Merican idea.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.