Button Button

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr Will Hatch
Those of you who've watched the 1980s version of The Twilight Zone will get the title reference. And probably some of those who haven't.

One day, every superhero across the Omniverse is given a black box with a big red button on top in the mail. A set of instructions inform them that if they should ever press the button, Earth and every other land mass capable of supporting life will be transformed into a Utopia with no poverty, illness, war, etc. It will also kill them and send them straight to Hell, with no chance of escaping, and the Hell will be modified depending on how much suffering the hero can take. There's no time limit.

So who decides to sacrifice themselves and push the button?

JBL
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Those of you who've watched the 1980s version of The Twilight Zone will get the title reference. And probably some of those who haven't.

One day, every superhero across the Omniverse is given a black box with a big red button on top in the mail. A set of instructions inform them that if they should ever press the button, Earth and every other land mass capable of supporting life will be transformed into a Utopia with no poverty, illness, war, etc. It will also kill them and send them straight to Hell, with no chance of escaping, and the Hell will be modified depending on how much suffering the hero can take. There's no time limit.

So who decides to sacrifice themselves and push the button? Superman would push it and maybe Thor.

pym-ftw

So who decides to sacrifice themselves and push the button? really?

Ok off the top of my head

Cap
Batman
Punisher
Thor
Superman
Cyclops
Gl Hal, Kyle & John
Wolverine
Magneto

Dr Will Hatch
Magneto isn't really a hero, but ignoring that, I don't think the folks you mentioned would be so trusting. All(?) of them have been mindf**ked before into believing things that weren't true or didn't exist.

bluewaterrider

So who decides to sacrifice themselves and push the button?

1. Lobo would press the button just for kicks.

2. Any masochist character would relish this unparalleled opportunity to maximize the suffering he or she craves.

3. With your promise of death clause, Thanos wouldn't be able to press the button fast enough.

bluewaterrider

Button, Button ...

Those of you who've watched the 1980s version of The Twilight Zone will get the title reference.

And probably some of those who haven't.

I tracked down and watched the Twilight Zone episode you were referring to online. Original premise: Mysterious stranger offers a married woman a box with a button sealed under a dome. Also a key to unseal the dome and permit the button on the box to be pressed. When pressed, someone the woman does not know will die and she gets $200,000 dollars.

They established the woman in this screenplay as such a _____ ...

In fact, she was SO over the top dislike-able, SO absolutely ridiculous, unreasoning, and hostile in her demeanor, I wondered,
if the rest of the Twilight Zone episodes are like this, how in the WORLD did the show stay on air long enough to get to this, the 50th episode???

On the other hand, they showed her this way by first showing us her interaction with her husband, a stuttering milquetoast of a man who could actually learn a thing or two from Sean Connery.

Because of this, I thought the episode would end with the death of her husband, a man she clearly did NOT actually know in any meaningful sense.

I was surprised to find the episode did NOT end that way.

However, I was curious enough to locate the original source of the screenplay, a short story by someone named Mattheson.
HIS story, the original, actually DID have exactly what I suspected -- the pressing of the button resulting in the husband's death.
The money the wife received was insurance money covering the husband's accidental, untimely death,
and the stranger saying exactly what I thought he would, that the wife did not actually know her husband at all.

The TV version, however, has a far more "just desserts" resolution.

-Pr-
Richard Matheson?

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by -Pr-
Richard Matheson?

confused

Well, yeah ... I included one too many "T"s in the name by mistake.

With the way you're asking this, though, I assume he's a DC writer or somebody famous?

iscaremonkeys
superman
Lobo just to laugh
Spiderman
MAYYYYYYYYYBE the hulk (professer not joe. Joe can be an ass sometimes)
i cant see batman pushing it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.