Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greatest I am
Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism.

If the old Gnostic Christians were here, they would hardly recognize what has happened to the original Orthodox Catholic Church or it's various offshoots in Protestantism or Islam. The Gnostic Christian Jesus would have a fit and would be quite disappointed I think. I know that this Gnostic Christian is.

The two main differences that moved the old Christians to kill Gnostic Christians and burn their scriptures was literalism in reading scriptures and the fact that the Gnostic version of Jesus was a Universalist.

That Gnostic Christian Jesus, and the Gnostic Christians of that flavor, (there are likely as many Gnostic sects as Christian sects), sees a spark of God in all people including women and gays. That fact, to me, makes Gnostic Christianity a more desirable denomination of Christianity than all the rest.

If a religion cannot abide with equality of the sexes then to my mind it is not a just religion and is not worthy of the support of moral people. Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually bury the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults as their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under.

If you have investigated Gnostic Christianity, do you agree that from a moral POV, they are the superior Christian theology thanks to equality and Universalism?

Regards
DL

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Greatest I am
it's various offshoots in Protestantism or Islam.
I stopped reading after this.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I stopped reading after this.

Lol.

Digi
I have a friend who's an ordained Gnostic priest (yes, they apparently exist). And another who's an influential member of the Theosophical Society (http://www.theosophical.org/). It's...interesting.

OP wants to posit the "is it better than..." question. Binary thinking. Polarized thinking. Whatever you want to call it. Joseph Campbell would be sad (among others, presumably).

OP, it's a false premise. Any belief system is only as good as the person advocating it. They're all on equally solid (or murky) ground intellectually and empirically. So it's all about application. No distinctions can be made about better or worse, because there are as many uses of religion as their are people who wield it as a tool.

Shakyamunison
^ The Christians tried to destroy the Gnostic back in the early days of the church. For a long time they succeeded, but now they are back. So, you can't kill a religion.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
^ The Christians tried to destroy the Gnostic back in the early days of the church. For a long time they succeeded, but now they are back. So, you can't kill a religion.

Remember are good ole' Gnostic talks? big grin

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley
Remember are good ole' Gnostic talks? big grin

Was that before yesterday? wink

mr.smiley
Was that before yesterday? wink

laughing Back in the days of DJ!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mr.smiley
laughing Back in the days of DJ!

We had music?

BananaKing
I've investigated Gnostic Christianity, read multiple apocryphal writings and so on.

Then again the idea that there is a spark of God in everyone can be concluded from the canon writings too, it's almost obvious that a degree of God is in everyone.

If God made everything from nothing but his willpower, we are all made of 100% Gods willpower aka we are made of God.

Mindship
^ The Christians tried to destroy the Gnostic back in the early days of the church. For a long time they succeeded, but now they are back. So, you can't kill a religion. Yeah, the early church was gnot gnice to Gnostics, gnever opegnly ackgnowledging what they kgnew or how it ignfluegnced Christiagnity.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Yeah, the early church was gnot gnice to Gnostics, gnever opegnly ackgnowledging what they kgnew or how it ignfluegnced Christiagnity.

Whgt the hgll arg you talking aboug?

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Mindship
Yeah, the early church was gnot gnice to Gnostics, gnever opegnly ackgnowledging what they kgnew or how it ignfluegnced Christiagnity. Damn moonspeak.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.