Rocky Balboa vs. Tommy Conlon (Warrior)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Firefly218
Tom Hardy from Warrior

vs.

Sylvester Stallonne from Rocky

Fight is in boxing ring, all rules apply

Time Immemorial
Tom Hardy, dude was a warrior.

Psychotron
Rocky has defeated a legit superhuman opponent. He takes this.

FrothByte
The fight is in a boxing ring but is the fight a boxing match?

Psychotron
It says all rules apply.

golem370
He is not a bad street fighter either vs Tommy Gunn a younger and more then likely stronger person.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Psychotron
Rocky has defeated a legit superhuman opponent. He takes this. Clubber Lang, I agree.

Psychotron
Originally posted by quanchi112
Clubber Lang, I agree.

Nah, it was Drago. Not that it matters since he kicked both of their asses.

quanchi112
Nah, it was Drago. Not that it matters since he kicked both of their asses. Drago was no Clubber Lang. Lang would have destroyed this featless wonder. Beating an out of his prime Apollo to death in an exhibition matchup isn't worth bragging about.

BruceSkywalker
Tommy's only chance would be to end this rather quickly.. however since this is Balboa that is being talked about , both men will fall to the ground and Balboa gets up before the ten count, gets on the mic and tells the world "Yo, Adrianne , we did it"

golem370
Drago would have beat Clubber imo

juggerman
Originally posted by golem370
Drago would have beat Clubber imo

Doubtful. I know Drago was supposed to be some bad ass machine like roid head but Rocky could go punch for punch with him. He absolutely could not take shots from Clubber tho. Feat wise Clubber was a much harder puncher. Drago may have him on skill tho

quanchi112
Originally posted by golem370
Drago would have beat Clubber imo Not a chance. Drago was all hype and a cheater.

Robtard
Originally posted by Firefly218
Tom Hardy from Warrior

vs.

Sylvester Stallonne from Rocky

Fight is in boxing ring, all rules apply

Rocky takes this. Superior all around; has already taken on a wrestler, so he has that aspect of MMA covered.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
Rocky takes this. Superior all around; has already taken on a wrestler, so he has that aspect of MMA covered.

I don't believe so, Tommy Conion ripped a metal door off a tank to save his friends as the movie tells it and confirmed by the other soldiers that served with him. The dude is a beast.

Robtard
Hyperbole.

juggerman

Covered in one match? And it was Hulk Hogan. The lest technically sound wrestler of all time

Robtard
Rocky has insane learning speed via 80's montage skills. He wasn't Hulk Hogan in that flick, he was Thunderlips.

Time Immemorial
The style of fighting is different, Tommy is used to getting smashed in the face with bare fists, rocky is not..

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
The style of fighting is different, Tommy is used to getting smashed in the face with bare fists, rocky is not..

They use gloves in MMA.

Time Immemorial
They use gloves in MMA.

I don't think they where using gloves in the movie though.

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I don't think they where using gloves in the movie though.

They're wearing MMA gloves

gnfZvgUem1s

Time Immemorial
Aight fair enough.

juggerman
Rocky has insane learning speed via 80's montage skills. He wasn't Hulk Hogan in that flick, he was Thunderlips.

laughing out loud

He is not versed in mma due to fighting and getting rocked by Thunderlips. All he did was a body slam

Psychotron
Originally posted by juggerman
Doubtful. I know Drago was supposed to be some bad ass machine like roid head but Rocky could go punch for punch with him. He absolutely could not take shots from Clubber tho. Feat wise Clubber was a much harder puncher. Drago may have him on skill tho

Except he took shots from him in their rematch. In their first match Rocky wasn't in his best shape, and was distracted by Mickey's death. He kicked his ass when he got in shape, and picked up Creed's techniques. Drago has legit superhuman punches, and killed Creed in 2 rounds. He also lasted longer against Rocky than Clubber did.

juggerman
Except he took shots from him in their rematch. In their first match Rocky wasn't in his best shape, and was distracted by Mickey's death. He kicked his ass when he got in shape, and picked up Creed's techniques. Drago has legit superhuman punches, and killed Creed in 2 rounds. He also lasted longer against Rocky than Clubber did.

Actually he didn't take too many shots in the rematch. That was the whole purpose of Creeds training. He couldn't stand toe to toe with him like he did with everyone else so he needed to be able to move and dodge and dance.

With Drago he went right back to brawling and did fine. Rewatch the part in 3 when Creed and Rocky are watching the film on Lang and you'll hear Creed flat out tell Rocky he can't stand toe to toe with him. Then watch the 2nd fight and you'll see Rocky dip and dodge in the first round to avoid any punches. He gets rocked in the 2nd round and in the thrid he blocks and avoids Langs hits to tire him out.

He used none of those tactics with Drago. He just out punched him. Something he had no chance of doing with Lang

juggerman
But on topic: Rocky will lose if Tommy takes him down. But seeing as how Tommy seemed to be more of a striker than anything else I think Rocky would win 6/10. Tommy was a monster but Rocky takes punches like nobody else

Psychotron
Actually he didn't take too many shots in the rematch. That was the whole purpose of Creeds training. He couldn't stand toe to toe with him like he did with everyone else so he needed to be able to move and dodge and dance.

With Drago he went right back to brawling and did fine. Rewatch the part in 3 when Creed and Rocky are watching the film on Lang and you'll hear Creed flat out tell Rocky he can't stand toe to toe with him. Then watch the 2nd fight and you'll see Rocky dip and dodge in the first round to avoid any punches. He gets rocked in the 2nd round and in the thrid he blocks and avoids Langs hits to tire him out.

He used none of those tactics with Drago. He just out punched him. Something he had no chance of doing with Lang

He dodged some of Lang's attacks in the first round, yeah, but he fell back to his meatshield ways in the second and third rounds. In those last 2 rounds Clubber managed to score multiple hard shots, and knocked Rocky down twice, and that barely even slowed Rocky down. Drago on the other hand was tossing Rocky around like a rag doll, and gave Rocky brain damage. In fact Rocky was mocking Clubber throughout the fight, and tanked all of his hits. Not to mention that Drago lasted almost to the end while Clubber was KTFO in 3 rounds.

juggerman
He dodged some of Lang's attacks in the first round, yeah, but he fell back to his meatshield ways in the second and third rounds. In those last 2 rounds Clubber managed to score multiple hard shots, and knocked Rocky down twice, and that barely even slowed Rocky down. Drago on the other hand was tossing Rocky around like a rag doll, and gave Rocky brain damage. In fact Rocky was mocking Clubber throughout the fight, and tanked all of his hits. Not to mention that Drago lasted almost to the end while Clubber was KTFO in 3 rounds.

Ok Rocky was almost koed in the second round with Lang. He was rocked by just a few hits. He took Dragos hits for 15 rounds. At the end of the 2nd round he was purposely getting Lang to tire out. He would block and dodge and this continued into the 3rd round. Even the announcer comments on this. Rocky could not take his hits unprotected like he did Dragos. And while Drago did last longer, Rocky also did not use the tactic with him. He just out punched him. Again something he was unable to do with Lang

Drago has Lang on stamina imo but Lang him on outright power

Robtard

Rocky outlasted Drago, absorbed all his super-roided hits, then when Drago was spent, he fought back and destroyed.

Lang beat an out of shape Rocky and killed a decrepit old man, that's his best. Drago killed Appollo creed, a retired but still in great shape fighter who would have danced circles around Lang.

juggerman
Rocky outlasted Drago, absorbed all his super-roided hits, then when Drago was spent, he fought back and destroyed.

Lang beat an out of shape Rocky and killed a decrepit old man, that's his best. Drago killed Appollo creed, a retired but still in great shape fighter who would have danced circles around Lang.

Yes he took all of Dragos hits. Something he could not do with Lang

Should we start a new thread to debate this? We're way off topic

Robtard
Yes he took all of Dragos hits. Something he could not do with Lang

Should we start a new thread to debate this? We're way off topic

When Rocky was out of shape; once in shape, he had no problem getting punched by Lang.

Yeah, don't want to derail further in here. But iirc, there might be one already.

FrothByte
If this is a boxing match then obviously Rocky wins. If this is an mma match then Tommy finishes it in 1 round.

juggerman
When Rocky was out of shape; once in shape, he had no problem getting punched by Lang.

Yeah, don't want to derail further in here. But iirc, there might be one already.

He still couldn't handle his punches hence his need to dip dodge and block to tire Lang out. He didn't need that with Drago. I'll look for that thread

FrothByte
I'd also say that Tommy has more knockout power. In every one of his fights in the movie, he knocked out his opponents within the first round (other than the one against his brother). Rocky's matches usually go the distance before he scores a knockout, and sometimes even goes to decision.

Psychotron
Ok Rocky was almost koed in the second round with Lang. He was rocked by just a few hits. He took Dragos hits for 15 rounds. At the end of the 2nd round he was purposely getting Lang to tire out. He would block and dodge and this continued into the 3rd round. Even the announcer comments on this. Rocky could not take his hits unprotected like he did Dragos. And while Drago did last longer, Rocky also did not use the tactic with him. He just out punched him. Again something he was unable to do with Lang

Drago has Lang on stamina imo but Lang him on outright power

No, no. I just re-watched the second fight. Rocky was taking Clubber's shots and asking for more. They didn't even phase him. He was actively mocking Lang, and letting him wail on him. I'm willing to bet Rocky would have won the first fight if his will wasn't eroded by Mickey's death.

Originally posted by FrothByte
I'd also say that Tommy has more knockout power. In every one of his fights in the movie, he knocked out his opponents within the first round (other than the one against his brother). Rocky's matches usually go the distance before he scores a knockout, and sometimes even goes to decision.

So what? Drago had superhuman punches (2150 PSI) and KILLED Apollo, a former champion, in 2 rounds. That's far more impressive than Tommy's knockouts.

FrothByte

So what? Drago had superhuman punches (2150 PSI) and KILLED Apollo, a former champion, in 2 rounds. That's far more impressive than Tommy's knockouts.

I'm not saying that Tommy can KO Rocky, just that Tommy has more knockout power than Rocky. Besides, if the referee hadn't pulled off Tommy from Mad Dog, he'd have killed him in 1 round.

If this was a pure boxing match, then it would probably go the distance with both combatants bloody and Rocky winning the decision. If this was a mma match then Tommy tears Rocky apart in the first round.

Psychotron
I'm not saying that Tommy can KO Rocky, just that Tommy has more knockout power than Rocky. Besides, if the referee hadn't pulled off Tommy from Mad Dog, he'd have killed him in 1 round.

If this was a pure boxing match, then it would probably go the distance with both combatants bloody and Rocky winning the decision. If this was a mma match then Tommy tears Rocky apart in the first round.

Well OP said it's in a boxing ring and all rules apply so I assume it's a boxing match. Tommy def. does not go the distance with Rocky. He always wins via knockout.

FrothByte
Well OP said it's in a boxing ring and all rules apply so I assume it's a boxing match. Tommy def. does not go the distance with Rocky. He always wins via knockout.

We've also never seen him (Tommy) get knocked out. We never even saw him get rocked by a hit. He's fought on despite a dislocated shoulder. And he's used to getting hit by much thinner gloves. So I doubt Rocky can KO him, though I'm pretty sure Rocky wins via unanimous decision (given that it's a boxing match of course).

juggerman
No, no. I just re-watched the second fight. Rocky was taking Clubber's shots and asking for more. They didn't even phase him. He was actively mocking Lang, and letting him wail on him. I'm willing to bet Rocky would have won the first fight if his will wasn't eroded by Mickey's death.

No he didn't he was blocking them. He was talking shit then he walked up to Clubber and put his hands up to his head. He actively blocked them. He could not take the hits.

juggerman
I bumped the Clubber vs Drago thread. We can continue there

Psychotron
We've also never seen him (Tommy) get knocked out. We never even saw him get rocked by a hit. He's fought on despite a dislocated shoulder. And he's used to getting hit by much thinner gloves. So I doubt Rocky can KO him, though I'm pretty sure Rocky wins via unanimous decision (given that it's a boxing match of course).

We've never seen Tommy go up against an opponent of Rocky's caliber. 10-15 rounds of an after-montage Rocky caving his face in would probably be enough to KO him. Besides, Tommy didn't show that much technical skill, he was basically a shorter, and probably weaker Ivan Drago, and Rocky beat him.

FrothByte
We've never seen Tommy go up against an opponent of Rocky's caliber. 10-15 rounds of an after-montage Rocky caving his face in would probably be enough to KO him. Besides, Tommy didn't show that much technical skill, he was basically a shorter, and probably weaker Ivan Drago, and Rocky beat him.

Tommy went up against the no. 1 contender for his weight class and easily beat him up. That has to be decent caliber. Just because he had an easy time winning doesn't mean that his opponents weren't high caliber, just that he was that good. As for skill, it's not like Rocky is a skilled boxer anyway. He's a slugger, preferring to stand and duke it out. Besides, watch this video of Tommy's fights. The 1st and 3rd matches show him having pretty good skill and speed, better than any Rocky has shown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldz_AytSRU

Psychotron
Tommy went up against the no. 1 contender for his weight class and easily beat him up. That has to be decent caliber. Just because he had an easy time winning doesn't mean that his opponents weren't high caliber, just that he was that good. As for skill, it's not like Rocky is a skilled boxer anyway. He's a slugger, preferring to stand and duke it out. Besides, watch this video of Tommy's fights. The 1st and 3rd matches show him having pretty good skill and speed, better than any Rocky has shown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldz_AytSRU

Rocky has plenty of skill after Apollo trained him, he just doesn't need to use it much because of his freakish damage soak. I'd argue that guys like Apollo (a world heavyweight champion and basically Mohammad Ali) and Drago (legit superhuman strength) are far more impressive than the guys Tommy fought.

FrothByte
Rocky has plenty of skill after Apollo trained him, he just doesn't need to use it much because of his freakish damage soak. I'd argue that guys like Apollo (a world heavyweight champion and basically Mohammad Ali) and Drago (legit superhuman strength) are far more impressive than the guys Tommy fought.

We saw Rocky use skill once against Clubber, never used it again. Like I said before, I don't think Tommy is winning the boxing match. Just that Rocky probably won't KO him as Rocky's strength is his damage soak and not much his knockout power.

But Tommy will give Rocky a better fight in a boxing match than Rocky can give Tommy a fight in an mma match. The boxing match can go the distance, if Rocky does get a KO it will probably be in the latter rounds. An mma match however will end within the first round.

Psychotron
We saw Rocky use skill once against Clubber, never used it again. Like I said before, I don't think Tommy is winning the boxing match. Just that Rocky probably won't KO him as Rocky's strength is his damage soak and not much his knockout power.

But Tommy will give Rocky a better fight in a boxing match than Rocky can give Tommy a fight in an mma match. The boxing match can go the distance, if Rocky does get a KO it will probably be in the latter rounds. An mma match however will end within the first round.

That he only used it once just proves that he doesn't like to use it. All of Rocky's victories have been through knockout, even at the age of 60 he was strong enough to clean and jerk 140kg. He can definitely KO Tommy.

Tommy was pretty much a brawler like Rocky, his brother was the technical one.

FrothByte
That he only used it once just proves that he doesn't like to use it. All of Rocky's victories have been through knockout, even at the age of 60 he was strong enough to clean and jerk 140kg. He can definitely KO Tommy.

Tommy was pretty much a brawler like Rocky, his brother was the technical one.

At the age of 60? He didn't win that fight IIRC. That one went to decision and he lost. Rocky has lost a few fights. Tommy only lost once and he had to get a dislocated shoulder for that to happen. Rocky KO's opponents but I don't recall him ever KO'ing a decent opponent during early rounds. It's always been in latter rounds... as compared to Tommy who can knockout people with his first hit.

And Tommy may not be as technical as his brother but he showed more technique than Rocky. His sparring match proved that. THe only reason he doesn't resort to technique with most of his fights is because he can finish it very quickly. Rocky doesn't seem to resort to technique even if he's getting beat up and insists on trading hits.

Psychotron
At the age of 60? He didn't win that fight IIRC. That one went to decision and he lost. Rocky has lost a few fights. Tommy only lost once and he had to get a dislocated shoulder for that to happen. Rocky KO's opponents but I don't recall him ever KO'ing a decent opponent during early rounds. It's always been in latter rounds... as compared to Tommy who can knockout people with his first hit.

And Tommy may not be as technical as his brother but he showed more technique than Rocky. His sparring match proved that. THe only reason he doesn't resort to technique with most of his fights is because he can finish it very quickly. Rocky doesn't seem to resort to technique even if he's getting beat up and insists on trading hits.

I'm not talking about the fight itself, though it is absurdly impressive for a 60 year old man to go the distance with the current heavyweight champion, and give him a run for his money. I'm talking about his training. Even at that age he was strong enough to clean and jerk 140kg, and to squat 200+. So, Rocky has a very impressive amount of strength. Rocky KOed Clubber Lang in the third round. There was also that montage in the third one showing him defeat a bunch of other boxers by KO.

Rocky doesn't resort to technique because he can use his inhuman damage soak. So, Rocky is going to fall back on his durability, and Tommy is going to fall back on his strength. And I'd bet money on Rocky's durability.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.