DCnU Superman attacks these characters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

abhilegend
With this attack which shattered Phantom Stranger's physical and metaphysical form. Who can survive such an attack?

http://s4.postimg.org/q7v7ca7nd/Trinity_of_Sin_The_Phantom_Stranger_2012_01.jpg http://s4.postimg.org/nrxzc6eyh/Trinity_of_Sin_The_Phantom_Stranger_2012_01.jpg

1. Gladiator
2. Thor
3. Indestructible Hulk
4. Silver Surfer
5. Preboot Superman

For reference, here is an enraged Spectre attacking Phantom Stranger under the same writer.

JuggernautMania
dBBBvuShRaw

Orrsome28
It doesn't make much sense. The faith of a few million or even billion people vs. a cosmic being of multiversal proportions...

abhilegend
Originally posted by Orrsome28
It doesn't make much sense. The faith of a few million or even billion people vs. a cosmic being of multiversal proportions...
The faith had nothing to do with the strike. It was all superman's power.

smile

Orrsome28
It states that it was the people's faith that gave Supes the capacity to break PS' form... I can only conclude that without it the strike would have been ineffective. My problem with this scenario is the fact that it implies that their faith in Superman somehow trumps a vastly mystical being such as Phantom Stranger who himself acts as an agent of 'the voice'.

I must admit however, I have not read this issue, so these scans may not provide the whole context. If I in fact misunderstood, please let me know.

As for the question itself...I am unsure.

abhilegend
It states that it was the people's faith that gave Supes the capacity to break PS' form... I can only conclude that without it the strike would have been ineffective. My problem with this scenario is the fact that it implies that their faith in Superman somehow trumps a vastly mystical being such as Phantom Stranger who himself acts as an agent of 'the voice'.

I must admit however, I have not read this issue, so these scans may not provide the whole context. If I in fact misunderstood, please let me know.

No, it was never stated that the strike was due to the psychic energy. All it did was center psychic energy on him which made him an epicenter of supernatural energy which the spirits were using as an anchor to enter this reality. Read the scans carefully.

Orrsome28
Originally posted by abhilegend
No, it was never stated that the strike was due to the psychic energy. All it did was center psychic energy on him which made him an epicenter of supernatural energy which the spirits were using as an anchor to enter this reality. Read the scans carefully.

I'm quite tired at the moment so if I've misunderstood, you have my apologies.

I simply understood it as:

People's faith in Superman = Mass of psychic energy surrounding Superman = Epicenter of supernatural energy = why he could shatter PS' physical and metaphysical form.

If this is not so and I have truly interpreted it wrongly, then it may as well be just a regular strike from Superman which isn't all that impressive.

If I look at it this way, I see no reason why any of those characters listed would have a problem with this sort of attack.

JuggernautMania
some people are taking everything too literal. the faith was a motivation for superman, he knew people are believing in him. thats what made him find his inner powers to do the crazy stuff he always does in such situations. if someone tells you that the task pushed you to your limits, it does not mean someone with a T Shirt with "Task" on it came and pushed you physically. people should stop taking everything too literal.

abhilegend
I'm quite tired at the moment so if I've misunderstood, you have my apologies.

I simply understood it as:

People's faith in Superman = Mass of psychic energy surrounding Superman = Epicenter of supernatural energy = why he could shatter PS' physical and metaphysical form.

If this is not so and I have truly interpreted it wrongly, then it may as well be just a regular strike from Superman which isn't all that impressive.

If I look at it this way, I see no reason why any of those characters listed would have a problem with this sort of attack.
Haha, seriously?

Superman shatters an abstract being's physical and metaphysical body with a single attack when ****ing Spectre couldn't do so and its just a regular strike from superman? None of these characters would've a problem with such an attack?

laughing out loud

I bet if it was someone like Silver Surfer doing such to an abstract level character, you'd be shouting how impressive it is.

Orrsome28
Haha, seriously?

Superman shatters an abstract being's physical and metaphysical body with a single attack when ****ing Spectre couldn't do so and its just a regular strike from superman? None of these characters would've a problem with such an attack?

laughing out loud

I bet if it was someone like Silver Surfer doing such to an abstract level character, you'd be shouting how impressive it is.

Firstly, I have no investment in Silver Surfer at all.

Now, am I to believe Superman>>>Spectre from this feat? I don't think so. The fact that Superman could and Spectre couldn't says more about the writing than the characters involved.

Lastly, other than destroying PS' form (only to reform later) the attack was pretty standard of Supes... fly really fast into them. That is what appears to be happening after all. So in that regard it isn't that impressive. The power on the other hand, I'll admit, is. Not to say I believe it makes much sense. It looks awesome, makes for alright storytelling but at the end of the day I find it hard to believe. So while you may in fact be in awe of the feat, I remain skeptical. But hey, that's just me.

Oh and JuggernautMania, thanks for that creative picture of 'too literal' you painted for me. I found it amusing. Although, now I'm a little disappointed I won't be seeing that guy, could have been helpful the next time I'm in a situation like that.

Diesldude
Only Pre-Boot superman survives. He did the same thing to soulfire DS. BTW how do you think these two feats stack against each other?

JuggernautMania

the attack was pretty standard of Supes... fly really fast into them.

wtf? this has to be one of the dumbest things i got to read. and i myself am not a genius to begin with. you take away from the sheer power that it took to do it because that power came in the form of just flying into someone? were you expecting superman to shoot beams out of his anus in order for you to admit its beyond herald level of power? people will say ANYTHING just to not admit they were wrong.

Orrsome28
Originally posted by JuggernautMania
wtf? this has to be one of the dumbest things i got to read. and i myself am not a genious to begin with. you take away from the sheer power that it took to do it because that power came in the form of just flying into someone? were you expecting superman to shoot beams out of his anus in order for you to admit its beyond herald level of power? people will say ANYTHING just to not admit they were wrong.

Wow...

How am I wrong? Please explain. For starters I already stated I may have misunderstood the scan, then I went on to concede that the power behind Superman's attack was indeed impressive in my latest post after reflecting on it. I did not however change my stance on the believability of the scenario. Regardless of what you say, I don't believe a 'digging deep' Superman could plausibly do what Spectre apparently couldn't.

You could be less of an ass too. You come across very condescending. I chose to take that last comment of yours in stride but I won't abide this. Also, I'm most certainly no genius either, but far from an idiot too.

I was referring to the manner in which he attacked. Tell me it is not a frequent strategy for Superman to hit hard and fast like that. For your information, I don't care an ounce if you believe Superman is beyond herald level or this is indeed the actual case, rather I simply stated my skepticism of the scenario. Being beyond herald doesn't exactly mean he could or should be able to oppose abstracts in such a manner.

carver9

This. All of them survive.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by carver9
This. All of them survive.

Stop ignoring it, Carv. Superman > Voice.

Tbh, on a more serious note, I can see it happening. The Spectre is always being jobbed.

Diesldude
Wow...

How am I wrong? Please explain. For starters I already stated I may have misunderstood the scan, then I went on to concede that the power behind Superman's attack was indeed impressive in my latest post after reflecting on it. I did not however change my stance on the believability of the scenario. Regardless of what you say, I don't believe a 'digging deep' Superman could plausibly do what Spectre apparently couldn't.

You could be less of an ass too. You come across very condescending. I chose to take that last comment of yours in stride but I won't abide this. Also, I'm most certainly no genius either, but far from an idiot too.

I was referring to the manner in which he attacked. Tell me it is not a frequent strategy for Superman to hit hard and fast like that. For your information, I don't care an ounce if you believe Superman is beyond herald level or this is indeed the actual case, rather I simply stated my skepticism of the scenario. Being beyond herald doesn't exactly mean he could or should be able to oppose abstracts in such a manner.

I'm not sure if you read the read the arc where Odin faced Galactus.
Thor admitted that both Odin and Galactus were battling on many planes that even they could not conceive of, similarly PS and The Spectre were fighting where the whole creation was at risk but the people were oblivious of their battle. With all the power that the specter and PS were hitting each other with, superman appeared to do more damage.

same way with soulfire DS, the source was hitting DS but superman inadvertently just cuts through DS while the source was able to do very little damage. The heralds, skyfather tiering isn't as solid in dc as it is ok Marvel. Its basically superman and everyone else. He's at a different standard and these rules don't apply when he needs to accomplish something.

Orrsome28
Originally posted by Diesldude
I'm not sure if you read the read the arc where Odin faced Galactus.
Thor admitted that both Odin and Galactus were battling on many planes that even they could not conceive of, similarly PS and The Spectre were fighting where the whole creation was at risk but the people were oblivious of their battle. With all the power that the specter and PS were hitting each other with, superman appeared to do more damage.

same way with soulfire DS, the source was hitting DS but superman inadvertently just cuts through DS while the source was able to do very little damage. The heralds, skyfather tiering isn't as solid in dc as it is ok Marvel. Its basically superman and everyone else. He's at a different standard and these rules don't apply when he needs to accomplish something.

Thank you for informing me.

I understand this notion but seem to have trouble reconciling the fact that this is the very same Superman who had trouble with the likes of Zod and Faora.

Anyway, it seems like Superman has and will ever be the be-all end-all of super powered folk, however unfathomable it is to me.

JuggernautMania
Wow...

OMG i am so sorry for being rude, i ate peanuts and they make me go wako when i eat them.
anyway i just couldnt understand why you believe the fact he was flying into someone takes away from the attack because overall power comes in many forms physical or not physical. with enough power behind the punch you can break reality and time.

Orrsome28
Originally posted by JuggernautMania
OMG i am so sorry for being rude, i ate peanuts and they make me go wako when i eat them.
anyway i just couldnt understand why you believe the fact he was flying into someone takes away from the attack because overall power comes in many forms physical or not physical. with enough power behind the punch you can break reality and time.

I can almost feel your sincerity from here...

Of course I know this. My main problem with it was plausibility, but I guess when Supes is involved anything is possible.

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue so I think I might leave this discussion for the time being, my position intact but respectful of yours.

smile

JuggernautMania
I can almost feel your sincerity from here...

Of course I know this. My main problem with it was plausibility, but I guess when Supes is involved anything is possible.

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue so I think I might leave this discussion for the time being, my position intact but respectful of yours.

smile

i agree with you.... stupid peanuts... made me look bad!!
i should have listened to my teacher she told me "JOSHUAAAA JOSHUAAAAA the peanuts are SATANNNNN i will clean you from evilll!!!! JOSHUAAAAA

abhilegend
Firstly, I have no investment in Silver Surfer at all.

Now, am I to believe Superman>>>Spectre from this feat? I don't think so. The fact that Superman could and Spectre couldn't says more about the writing than the characters involved.

Lastly, other than destroying PS' form (only to reform later) the attack was pretty standard of Supes... fly really fast into them. That is what appears to be happening after all. So in that regard it isn't that impressive. The power on the other hand, I'll admit, is. Not to say I believe it makes much sense. It looks awesome, makes for alright storytelling but at the end of the day I find it hard to believe. So while you may in fact be in awe of the feat, I remain skeptical. But hey, that's just me.

Oh and JuggernautMania, thanks for that creative picture of 'too literal' you painted for me. I found it amusing. Although, now I'm a little disappointed I won't be seeing that guy, could have been helpful the next time I'm in a situation like that.
Superman does that type of things regularly. Just take these as an example. Monster manhandling Spectre and Martian Manhunter? Superman explodes him.

http://i.imgur.com/XjRzpVy.jpg

Or Soulfire Darkseid laughing off an attack from Source himself and Superman cutting him in half just pages after that.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k508/abhilegend/Superman/th_deathofthenewgods08015qf6.jpg

http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712692_DotNG8p03-4.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712693_DotNG8p05.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712694_DotNG8p06.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712695_DotNG8p07.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712696_DotNG8p08.jpg http://s4d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/16712697_DotNG8p09.jpg

It happens too many times to ignore.Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Stop ignoring it, Carv. Superman > Voice.

Tbh, on a more serious note, I can see it happening. The Spectre is always being jobbed.
A jobber Spectre who was going to destroy the whole creation in his fight with Stranger?

laughing out loud

Khazra Reborn
The Phantom Stranger hasn't been super impressive yet in the DCnU, the best thing he's done is fight with the newly born Spectre, even there the only reason I found it impressive was because it showed he could casually stop time indefinitely.

Even Wonder Woman put him on his arse during Trinity War. So in short, I don't think this showing from Superman is enough to say he can one shot kill his peers.

DarkSaint85

It happens too many times to ignore.
A jobber Spectre who was going to destroy the whole creation in his fight with Stranger?

laughing out loud

A jobber Spectre who fails to accomplish what Superman did, yes.

Strange how shattering the PS does not affect creation....

abhilegend
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
The Phantom Stranger hasn't been super impressive yet in the DCnU, the best thing he's done is fight with the newly born Spectre, even there the only reason I found it impressive was because it showed he could casually stop time indefinitely.

Even Wonder Woman put him on his arse during Trinity War. So in short, I don't think this showing from Superman is enough to say he can one shot kill his peers.
Not under this writer though. And she certainly didn't do that to Stranger's giant form.

http://s5d1.turboimagehost.com/t1/18485941_816460.jpg

I don't think that's a low showing in any way or form.

Also putting someone on his ass is vastly inferior to shattering his body to the point of laughable.

abhilegend
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
A jobber Spectre who fails to accomplish what Superman did, yes.

Strange how shattering the PS does not affect creation....
Then that's a very strange definition of jobbing.

I can't help but laugh at this.

Khazra Reborn
Not under this writer though. And she certainly didn't do that to Stranger's giant form.

http://s5d1.turboimagehost.com/t1/18485941_816460.jpg

I don't think that's a low showing in any way or form.

Also putting someone on his ass is vastly inferior to shattering his body to the point of laughable.

I'm not really comparing the two feats, I'm just saying that Phantom Stranger hasn't been overly impressive thus far, to the point that even Wonder Woman has made him look bad.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
I'm not really comparing the two feats, I'm just saying that Phantom Stranger hasn't been overly impressive thus far, to the point that even Wonder Woman has made him look bad.
That lasso is haxxx. Nearly destroying creation to the point God himself has to intervene is impressive as hell. Spectre couldn't do anything to him last issue too.

http://i.imgur.com/nXXvuyQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7nFA1gl.jpg

Surviving Spectre trying to squeeze your life out and then putting him on his ass is impressive as heck.

carver9
Da**, Diana straight up owned him.

Khazra Reborn
That lasso is haxxx. Nearly destroying creation to the point God himself has to intervene is impressive as hell. Spectre couldn't do anything to him last issue too.

http://i.imgur.com/nXXvuyQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7nFA1gl.jpg

Surviving Spectre trying to squeeze your life out and then putting him on his ass is impressive as heck.

What do you mean nearly destroying creation? Are you referencing the presence-dog's statement? If so, he means that Spectre and PS represent a cosmic balance and disrupting it would threaten creation. There was no indication that their minor scuffle would have had any greater affects outside of local collateral damage.

abhilegend
Da**, Diana straight up owned him.
Close but no cigar carter. The lasso did all the work. That makes Superman casually breaking out of it even more impressive.Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
What do you mean nearly destroying creation? Are you referencing the presence-dog's statement? If so, he means that Spectre and PS represent a cosmic balance and disrupting it would threaten creation. There was no indication that their minor scuffle would have had any greater affects outside of local collateral damage.
Really? Presence said "play nicely or the whole creation may pay the price". That implies not to fight each other, not that their roles are so important.

abhilegend
Anyway all this nitpick of such a simple feat is mind-boggling. Like I said if it had been done by say Thor or Surfer, nobody would've asked a damn thing. Stranger is an abstract, shattering his body and soul in oneshot is ****ing impressive as hell when Spectre couldn't do anything to him in the LAST ISSUE.

Can we get back on topic please?

DarkSaint85
Reason why we're nitpicking, is because it could well be PIS.

Epicurus
laughing out loud

carver9
Where in the scans did it say the lasso did all of the work? She didnt use the lasso the way you think she did.

Epicurus
The lasso did all the work.
Your blatant hypocrisy in completely ignoring the massive boost which Superman got from the psychic energy of a million people when he performed that Abstract-busting feat notwithstanding, you mean to tell me that the lasso controls Diana's motor functions? That it somehow magically amped her when yanked the PS towards herself and then proceeded to choke her with the rope?

GTFO here with this bullshit.laughing

Khazra Reborn
Close but no cigar carter. The lasso did all the work. That makes Superman casually breaking out of it even more impressive.
Really? Presence said "play nicely or the whole creation may pay the price". That implies not to fight each other, not that their roles are so important.

Yes, and right before that it says; "you two have cosmic roles to play, you balance eachother precisely, play nicely ect.."

IMO, that references disrupting the cosmic balance, maybe if one kills the other all of creation would be threatened? Saying that little quarrel would threaten all of creation is a big reach for me.

Orrsome28
Originally posted by Epicurus
Your blatant hypocrisy in completely ignoring the massive boost which Superman got from the psychic energy of a million people when he performed that Abstract-busting feat notwithstanding, you mean to tell me that the lasso controls Diana's motor functions? That it somehow magically amped her when yanked the PS towards herself and then proceeded to choke her with the rope?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that it was the mass of psychic energy that gave Superman the capacity to pull off this feat. The Phantom Stranger's monologue gave me the feeling that the supernatural energy that surrounds Superman was the key and without it he wouldn't have fared nearly as well.

Epicurus
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that it was the mass of psychic energy that gave Superman the capacity to pull off this feat. The Phantom Stranger's monologue gave me the feeling that the supernatural energy that surrounds Superman was the key and without it he wouldn't have fared nearly as well.
Most sane people would agree with your assessment.

abhilegend
Where in the scans did it say the lasso did all of the work? She didnt use the lasso the way you think she did. Originally posted by Epicurus

facepalm

This is pitiful. Diana flipped Stranger after catching him in the lasso and that means she somehow owned him? What does that even means? That she is strong enough to flip him?

Also Superman wasn't amped by that psychic energy and according to the issue, it wasn't something new. Superman was always the center of that energy. Take your hating ass out of the thread.Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Yes, and right before that it says; "you two have cosmic roles to play, you balance eachother precisely, play nicely ect.."

IMO, that references disrupting the cosmic balance, maybe if one kills the other all of creation would be threatened? Saying that little quarrel would threaten all of creation is a big reach for me.
Spectre couldn't kill Stranger at all as shown when he ate him and tried to erase him from the existence.

Also Zauriel erased Stranger from Existence and the creation wasn't ended.

DarkSaint85

Also Zauriel erased Stranger from Existence and the creation wasn't ended.

That's because it was God's will that he be erased.

Epicurus
facepalm

This is pitiful. Diana flipped Stranger after catching him in the lasso and that means she somehow owned him? What does that even means? That she is strong enough to flip him?

Also Superman wasn't amped by that psychic energy and according to the issue, it wasn't something new. Superman was always the center of that energy. Take your hating ass out of the thread.

This is pitiful. The extent of Superman's damage is quickly undone by the PS in the matter of a single panel, yet somehow this is supposed to be an uber feat for him? See what I did there.

Lol, what bolshevik is this now? His body being accumulated with millions of people's worth psychic energy is a recent plot-revelation. Until now, it's actual effectiveness or usage has been explored. Without said psychic energy, he cannot effect metaphysical beings, as that is impossible. It's almost as retarded as that X-mutie squishing a singularity and then loudly proclaiming "the laws of physics can suck ass".

Orrsome28
I never said it amped him. I said it contributed. I see it like this:

PS = Locked Door

Supernatural energy = Key

Without the key it's going to be pretty difficult to get through the door. The energy (key) allowed Superman to go through the door (aka bust through PS's form).

abhilegend
Originally posted by Epicurus
This is pitiful. The extent of Superman's damage is quickly undone by the PS in the matter of a single panel, yet somehow this is supposed to be an uber feat for him? See what I did there.

Lol, what bolshevik is this now? His body being accumulated with millions of people's worth psychic energy is a recent plot-revelation. Until now, it's actual effectiveness or usage has been explored. Without said psychic energy, he cannot effect metaphysical beings, as that is impossible. It's almost as retarded as that X-mutie squishing a singularity and then loudly proclaiming "the laws of physics can suck ass".
Yeah, you showed how you're just hating for the sake of hating.

Its always been there as revealed in this issue. Its no external amp, so I don't know what's your point.Originally posted by Orrsome28
I never said it amped him. I said it contributed. I see it like this:

PS = Locked Door

Supernatural energy = Key

Without the key it's going to be pretty difficult to get through the door. The energy (key) allowed Superman to go through the door (aka bust through PS's form).
That's not even alluded to be true.

Badabing
Closed at the thread starter's request.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.