Netflix Planning to Rob God-Loving Americans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stealth Moose

Shakyamunison
Read a book!

laughing out loud

Stealth Moose
Luddite!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Luddite!

http://media.tumblr.com/2d800f4b5b38e54bce272eb740e476e8/tumblr_inline_mmm9re8K0b1qz4rgp.jpg

Digi
What's the sarcasm level here? I need to know how to approach the topic. Because all I see is a company responding to market forces in a not-unexpected way, share holders responding favorably, and a reasonable window for people to get in before the new member tax is installed. And, of course, lurking in the background, the free torrenting option if you're actually miffed by this. Shall we raise the picket signs against strengthening one's brand and holdings?

Omega Vision
It's a pretty modest pay hike from the sounds of it, but also an example of why it would be nice if Netflix actually had genuine competition (and I don't mean from torrents and such--there's a certain percentage of the population that will just never torrent, either from lack of awareness or moral compunctions.)

The most shocking news here is that apparently 130 million people pay for HBO. That's like Germany plus France.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Digi
What's the sarcasm level here? I need to know how to approach the topic. Because all I see is a company responding to market forces in a not-unexpected way, share holders responding favorably, and a reasonable window for people to get in before the new member tax is installed. And, of course, lurking in the background, the free torrenting option if you're actually miffed by this. Shall we raise the picket signs against strengthening one's brand and holdings?

Actually, the pay hike doesn't bother my wallet, but it would be better if they actually stopped renewing certain titles and added more to their streaming library rather than one or two series I can binge-watch.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's a pretty modest pay hike from the sounds of it, but also an example of why it would be nice if Netflix actually had genuine competition (and I don't mean from torrents and such--there's a certain percentage of the population that will just never torrent, either from lack of awareness or moral compunctions.)

The most shocking news here is that apparently 130 million people pay for HBO. That's like Germany plus France.

GoT is powerful shit.

Digi
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Cable packages help. It gets bundled with all kinds of things, and people end up with it that don't necessarily watch it. Netflix has the tech advantage over a comparatively clunky competitor like HBO Go, but HBO has the corporate partnerships that Netflix doesn't have yet. Traditional TV may be dying, but it's a slow death.

Digi
Actually, the pay hike doesn't bother my wallet, but it would be better if they actually stopped renewing certain titles and added more to their streaming library rather than one or two series I can binge-watch.

I get that. But they're being incredibly strategic here with the new shows, imo. House of Cards was an enormous PR boost, and they have another advantage. Every show you watch, every movie you load, is a data point, and they have ALL of it. Forget Nielson ratings, Netflix can tell you your favorite actors, genres, and preferences. They can make HoC-style shows that appeal to the maximum number of subscribers, and can market it perfectly, because they know exactly what their subscribers like. There's a reason they're emphasizing that side of their service, even if their movie selections aren't uniformly great.

Stealth Moose
http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/reasons_watch_movie/1.png

I rest my case.

Shakyamunison
...I rest my case.

Take up bagpipes and you will never have to wear pants. big grin

Firefly218
Netflix has decent competition from Amazon and Hulu. I think.

Badabing
What's the sarcasm level here? I need to know how to approach the topic. Because all I see is a company responding to market forces in a not-unexpected way, share holders responding favorably, and a reasonable window for people to get in before the new member tax is installed. And, of course, lurking in the background, the free torrenting option if you're actually miffed by this. Shall we raise the picket signs against strengthening one's brand and holdings? I'm surprised by this post Digi. Maybe you're not the Godless, communist, vegan, racist, mutant loving, Mac using blight of KMC I originally thought. mmm

stick out tongue

Digi
Originally posted by Badabing
I'm surprised by this post Digi. Maybe you're not the Godless, communist, vegan, racist, mutant loving, Mac using blight of KMC I originally thought. mmm

stick out tongue

Try godless, capitalist, pescatarian, mutant-hating, Android-humping blight on KMC. As long as I'm still a blight, I'm doing my job.

biscuits

Epicurus
Try godless, capitalist, pescatarian, mutant-hating, Android-humping blight on KMC. As long as I'm still a blight, I'm doing my job.

biscuits
laughing out loud

Badabing

biscuits laughing out loud

dadudemon
I used to follow and bug the PR peeps at Netflix but really stopped, over the years. I am willing to pay $20 a month for the current services I receive. Possibly even $30.

They just need to expand their available content AND their original content. If they do that, yes, I would be happy to pay $30 a month.

I rest my case.

This makes me think of your balls. Stop resting your balls.

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
I used to follow and bug the PR peeps at Netflix but really stopped, over the years.

Cos they pulled a Larry and stonewalled you.

Stealth Moose
I used to follow and bug the PR peeps at Netflix but really stopped, over the years. I am willing to pay $20 a month for the current services I receive. Possibly even $30.

They just need to expand their available content AND their original content. If they do that, yes, I would be happy to pay $30 a month.

This makes me think of your balls. Stop resting your balls.

They be hangin' so low bro.

Also, Amazon apparently signed a streaming deal with HBO, which should begin May 21st. No word yet if GoT is included; if it's not, I likely won't bother.

Time Immemorial
Considering House of Cards is over, I see no point in them raising the prices based off that show..

Firefly218
Unfortunately, GoT is not included in the Amazon HBO deal.

Stealth Moose
Pass.

dadudemon
Pass.

http://gingersnapsbjj.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/gandalf.jpg

Lord Lucien
http://gingersnapsbjj.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/gandalf.jpg Well that's a bit harsh. Classes haven't even begun yet.

siriuswriter
Increase in cost only for NEW members.

So I'm good...

Firefly218
http://gingersnapsbjj.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/gandalf.jpg

laughing

Syndicate
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Well that's a bit harsh. Classes haven't even begun yet.
Finally someone who's seen that. XD

Time Immemorial
Neflix sucks anyways, they never have all the seasons of a show I want to watch. Good thing I get it for free.

meep-meep

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Increase in cost only for NEW members.

So I'm good...

Oh sweet. Nevermind then. Request thread closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.