question about Shoto Lightsaber/short lightsabers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Fated Xtasy
Can you use any lightsaber form with these small sabers or are they exclusive to Form IV : Ataru and being used as off hand weapons in Jar'Kai? I've only seen Yoda, Yaddle and Toki Tollivar use shoto lightsabers as their main weapons, and even though Yoda is a master of all forms he mainly used Ataru, so I can a Jedi/Sith use - let's say, makashi with a shoto lightsaber? and if they can, would they be able to wield it effectively?

Stealth Moose
Arguably, they can, but the shorter weapon lends itself to fighting styles that risk much and get in close because of its very nature. Makashi, for example, is about precision, grace and balance; these would be hard to accomplish with a shoto.

DarthAnt66
Many use shotos with another standard lightsaber and utilize Jar Kai, such as Luke Skywalker, Yuthura Ban, or Sora Bulq. I would say that is more common then to see it used alone, which is really only used in a desperate measure for backup or if the character is vary small. But yeah, it should work the same way as a lightsaber, just more difficult to master if you lack the experience to deal with it, because the space your blade now covers in a swing is decreased drastically.

Darth Abonis
Shii-Cho, Juyo/Vapaad would have it get in the way. Makashi would also be a challenge. Soresu, Djem So and even Niman are all contenders.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Many use shotos with another standard lightsaber and utilize Jar Kai, such as Luke Skywalker, Yuthura Ban, or Sora Bulq. I would say that is more common then to see it used alone, which is really only used in a desperate measure for backup or if the character is vary small. But yeah, it should work the same way as a lightsaber, just more difficult to master if you lack the experience to deal with it, because the space your blade now covers in a swing is decreased drastically.

what styles do you guys think would work more effectively with the shoto saber, besides Ataru and Jar'Kai, I mean Shii-Cho - if I remember correctly focuses on long swipes and strikes so to use it with a shoto would be like a kid reaching for the cookie jar that's on a 7 foot fridge. and what form do you think would be most compatible - besides Ataru and Jar'Kai, with the shoto?

Stealth Moose
Soresu might work. Having two blades operate to shield the body would be super-effective. Florentine fencing uses a shorter blade defensively, typically to trap the enemy weapon and using the longer blade to stab/hack.

Syndicate
I believe you are correct SM having the extra blade would help in both the defense of a duel and counter attacking when your enemy leaves an opening not to mention making it harder for your opponent to respond if they've never dealt with Jai Kari duel blade fencing or a shoto lightsaber blade before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.