Episode 3 as a Stand-alone Film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
Are there any posters out here who think Episode 3 would work better as a stand-alone film, completely disregarding the two previous entries in the prequel era? Obviously there will be connections to the last two films(especially the Qui Gon and Dooku subplots) but I always thought any prequel film should focus exclusively on the fabled Clone Wars which General Obi Wan Kenobi fought in. Now, with 2/3 of the era completed, and rumours saying the wars will be mostly over by the start of the third film, it appears we are being cheated of seeing a true Star Wars film that would tie in more with the original trilogy. So I think this next film might work better if more of the original series' mysteries were at least addressed if not all answered. Who else fells this way-or am I letting my imagination get the better of me?

Dexx
no..i doubt it would work too well.
It's basicly the republic downfall and a couple of guyz waving shiny sticks at eachother.
None of the sw episodes would work too well stand alone. Maybe ANH and TPM(very little)

Ushgarak
ANH works fine alone. TPM would not have done.

GordonSkywalker
It was just a thought in passing gentlemen.

Julie
I think that it might have if it had to be, but that since there are 2 previous movies there will be lots of references to those...and so EpIII will be tied to them......if the other movies didn't exist...EpIII would be fine and thus stand alone

GordonSkywalker
Ah...someone with my way of thinking! I agree it is not realistically possible but I am speaking in a sort-of 'what-if' mode. Still all your comments are much appreciated.

Dexx
i think ep three wil be as much good stand alone as aotc would be. (wich isn't much). there will be subtle details. (see anakin's sometime evil behaviour in aotc) and so on...

Member.
ep3 wouldn't work too well if it was a stand-alone film.

Julie
we'd all be lost:-)

GordonSkywalker
My point though is if it was well written to where there would not be a need to see 1 and 2, then it could work as a truer prologue to the original Star Wars. Something I am all for.

cookies2006
"If" we didnt need to watch any other episodes besides one, than "the one" would have to show so much in a short period of time.

GordonSkywalker
That is not the point I was trying to impress upon you, guys.

justinday15
Sorry to get off the subject... hey Gordon have u seen The Matrix yet.

justinday15
if you haven't you need to see it then go see The Matrix Reloaded. Tyler(cookies2006) and i went and seen it today, it was really good.

yerssot
sorry to sound rude, but you could pm him for this wink

LaurenE147
Episode Three will be a movie that will tie together EP I &II to the OT answering all pending questions, because if they dont' then George Lucas will have to change his name and move to another country.

justinday15
Sorry yerssot! I didn't think anyone would make such a big deal about something so little. roll eyes (sarcastic)

GordonSkywalker
Nonsense my boy, we are all friends here! (Check your pm inbox)

yerssot
not making a big deal, just pointing something out, apperently I could have said it more friendlier

GordonSkywalker
Sometimes we are abrupt in our dealings with other people, so anyway back on topic. Anyone else want to add anything about Episode III as a stand-alone film? And do you think it will be more like I or II? In tone, content or atmosphere?

yerssot
more like ESB I hope!

GordonSkywalker
Yeh same here. I think ESB is the most talked-about OT film so to have that as the standard for the next prequel would be a wise move for the production team.

yerssot
doubt it can life up to it though

GordonSkywalker
Like a shot in the dark eh?

yerssot
but sometimes they hit the target wink

GordonSkywalker
True words were seldom spoken my Belgium friend.

yerssot
certainly not by me wink

GordonSkywalker
So the general consensus seems to be that EIII will not work as a stand-alone film but will tie in the earlier prequels with the OT. Ok, fair enough. Anymore comments on this fascinating topic?

yerssot
yes, perhaps it's still possible

GordonSkywalker
I hope it does tie in with the OT in a grand way. Either way I will still like the series.

Member.
ep3 could and would never work or be a stand-alone film. people really want to know what happens after ep2. hm...i seem to just be restating your ideasstick out tongue

GordonSkywalker
Quite all right fellow Member. Genius can be shared too. big grin

cookies2006
Shoot then share some with me. Please ****

GordonSkywalker
{The genius you seek shall be made readily available to you my young friend}

cookies2006
See, i dont even get what you just said.?

yerssot
probably

LaurenE147
Are you trying to talk like qui-gonn? If you are that means that i'm not the only one who noticed that he referred to everyone as my young friend, or my blue friend.

GordonSkywalker
Yes you have found out my little secret. I am trying to sound like Master Qui Gon Jinn. And I aslo agree he did have a habit of calling someone one or the other. So no stand alone Episode III?

Tevesh
i don't think it will. too many thing will no doubtedly be mentioned from the previous two movies. assuming you have had no exposure to star wars, the movie will probably not make much sense. A New Hope did though because hey, no one had any exposure to any star wars back then. plus in anh they explained what the force was and laid out the foundation of what's happend and what will happen, though there were plot twisters later on

GordonSkywalker
That answers my question then.

LaurenE147
but in the new films, for every question they answered they gave us two more.

GordonSkywalker
That is very much true. I thought Episode 1 and 2 might have more events that would tie into the original trilogy but they just seemed to bring in more mysteries than answers. Episode 3 has a lot to cover to better link them to the older films. So I think I finally understand that it would NOT make such a good stand alone film.

cookies2006
That is why i think ep3 will be the best SW movie yet.

GordonSkywalker
At least of the prequels if not the entire saga.

LaurenE147
We'll all be sitting there with our mouths hanging open when they answer all of our questions, so as the conclusion according to release it will be the one that will stick in our memories as the best.

yerssot
I'm not sure if we will be that happy about it, first want to see it before I'll say it's good

GordonSkywalker
Of course.

faggort
i owuld love it as a stand alone film!

Darth Surgent
It would be mutually advantageous for all parties involved if you'd stop bumping ancient threads. Look at their last post dates before adding to them please. smile

faggort
why ?

Red Superfly
I would have thought it better that the series started with the events from Epsiode II.

Obi-Wan finds Anakin at the age similar to Luke and they get caught up in the big Clone War. Anakin befriends Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan senses his potential. As they get caught in the fury, Anakin proves himself by helping to win the first battle and it ends on a high note. Obi-Wan is convinced Anakin should be a Jedi and recklessly TAKES IT UPON HIMSELF (and NOT through his dying Masters wishes) to train him.

Episode III's events would then fall into Episode II.

The Clone Wars have carried on, Anakin is older, wiser, stronger as we know. His relationship with Palpatine has grown and by the end of the movie, Anakin turns to the dark side, has a massive fight with Obi-Wan and the film ends with Anakin dying. Cliffhanger.

Episode III would then have the appearance of Darth Vader from VERY early in the movie and the plot would carry on, and would go a long way in keeping the series continuity, and could reduce the 20 year gap by a decade or so. I always thought it'd be cool if Obi-Wan knew about Darth Vader, but only ten years after Anakin died did he find out that Vader was in fact his apprentice, or something.

It's basically dumping Episode I's story. It was pointless. It re-wrote the story too. Obi-Wan wasn't amazed with how strong the force was with Anakin - he only trained him because Qui-Gonn asked. He didnt take it upon himself at all. They really did screw up Anakin and Obi-Wans relationship. It would have been more heart-rending to see a NATURAL friendship between Obi-Wan and Anakin, turn nasty. Sure they are friends, but Obi-Wan was reluctant to do anything with Anakin. Obi-Wan was supposed to be reckless and kind - having him form a friendship with Anakin and train him out of free will would have been better for cahracter development, and at least keep in line with what Obi-Wan says in ROTJ.

J.M FcThumbs-Up
I couldn't have said it better Red Superfly!....So.....I agree
But, I have no doubt that Episode3 will do a very kind job at showing the true nature of the Force!

Yoda; "In episode 1, 2 , 5, 6, I was..., so episode3, make it worth waiting for...I will!"

Jedi-Knight 8k2
Yeah Agreed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.