Why did the stormtroopers have bad aim?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Seriously starting from the beginning of the empire to battle of endor the stormtroopers seem to have horrible aim. Why is this? 501st legion troopers are getting killed by 1 little youngling. 3 clone troopers once destroyed an entire army of battle droids now on the Death Star they are getting killed by farmboys, scruffy looking nerfherders, walking carpets, and preppy princesses. What has diminished there skill?

Nephthys
because you touch yourself at night

Darth Abonis
Well in A New Hope, Luke Skywalker said he couldn't "see anything out of these helmets". The visuals of the helmet probably sucked.

The Merchant
That's not true, the Stormtroopers killed all the rebels on the Tantive IV, slaughtered Hoth, and that was basically a really small part of the 501st that we saw in the battle of Endor, the rest guarding the main entrance of the shield generator, which I assume are where the real badassess of the 501st were stationed at.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Well in A New Hope, Luke Skywalker said he couldn't "see anything out of these helmets". The visuals of the helmet probably sucked. that whiny little shit

red8
The Stormtroopers were pretty good as long as they weren't around any of the main characters.

They also took Cloud City without any of the inhabitants (aside from Lando) or Rebels knowing.

Emperordmb
LOL I noticed how just about every example of how good the stormtroopers were was when Vader was around and I think we all know what that means... it was the 501st on Tantive IV, the 501st on Hoth, and the 501st on Cloud City.

The Merchant
Solo didn't have any problems, and we've seen how a Stormtrooper helmet is in other media, it's described as having a 180 degree field of vision with a bunch of sensors that can detect multiple forms of radiation and whatnot. Luke is a farmboy, he didn't know how to turn it on.

Lord Lucien
It's almost like their bad aim was convenient to the plot or something.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Emperordmb
LOL I noticed how just about every example of how good the stormtroopers were was when Vader was around and I think we all know what that means... it was the 501st on Tantive IV, the 501st on Hoth, and the 501st on Cloud City.
It was also the 501st on Endor. confused

Darth Abonis
Also a lot of the soldiers were incompetent. The Imperial way was threw numbers not skill.

Lord Lucien
I wouldn't mind if that was the case. Have Ben or Han or someone make a throwaway line to that effect. But twice in the films we get remarks on their efficacy: "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise." and of course "an entire legion of my bets troops".

Emperordmb
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It was also the 501st on Endor. confused
Proof?

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
Also a lot of the soldiers were incompetent. The Imperial way was threw numbers not skill. not true at all all stormtroopers received good training and like rebels can do any better?

DarthAnt66
Proof?

"The 501st continued to serve Darth Vader throughout the Galactic Civil War, though after the Battle of Endor, their ranks were broken and the unit dissolved as feuding Imperial warlords carved up territory and materiel in their bids to become the next Emperor."
-Star Wars Databanks

"An entire legion of my best troops await them."
-Palpatine

Emperordmb
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
"The 501st continued to serve Darth Vader throughout the Galactic Civil War, though after the Battle of Endor, their ranks were broken and the unit dissolved as feuding Imperial warlords carved up territory and materiel in their bids to become the next Emperor."
-Star Wars Databanks

"An entire legion of my best troops await them."
-Palpatine
All that 501st quote proves is that they fell into disarray with the rest of the empire after Sidious's death.

The legion on Endor could've been any other legion, and it probably was considering that Vader wasn't with them and that they were stationed as guard duty.

PTforthewin
All that 501st quote proves is that they fell into disarray with the rest of the empire after Sidious's death.

The legion on Endor could've been any other legion, and it probably was considering that Vader wasn't with them and that they were stationed as guard duty. the 501st was winning on endor until chewbacca and his teddy bears come out of no where, armed with nothing but plot convenience and PIS Capture an ATST

Lord Lucien
Yeah I can't find a source that says the 501st was on Endor.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yeah I can't find a source that says the 501st was on Endor.

I mean they were assigned to Death Squadron so it would make sense.

Lord Lucien
All I've got is Wookieepedia as a guide, and most I can find is the Death Squadron article mentioning "Famed units attached to the fleet included... elements of Stormtrooper Commander Bow's 501st Legion."

The 501st page doesn't mention Death Squadron once, and the Battle of Endor page doesn't mention the 501st once. Is there like a secret source somewhere that puts them in the battle?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.