Was Darth Maul a sociopath?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
Do you think he was? What would have happened if the jedi found him first? I don't think he was a sociopath,

Lord Lucien
A difficult word to classify people as. It's not very straight forward. The traits of psychopathy from a 1941 book called The Mask of Sanity:

1.) Superficial charm and good "intelligence"
2.) Absence of delusions and other signs of irrational thinking
3.) Absence of "nervousness" or psychoneurotic manifestations
4.) Unreliability
5.) Untruthfulness and insincerity
6.) Lack of remorse and shame
7.) Inadequately motivated antisocial behavior
8.) Poor judgment and failure to learn by experience
9.) Pathologic egocentricity and incapacity for love
10.) General poverty in major affective reactions
11.) Specific loss of insight
12.) Unresponsiveness in general interpersonal relations
13.) Fantastic and uninviting behavior with drink and sometimes without
14.) Suicide threats rarely carried out
15.) Sex life impersonal, trivial, and poorly integrated
16.) Failure to follow any life plan.

I don't know much about Maul, so does he fit many of those?

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A difficult word to classify people as. It's not very straight forward. The traits of psychopathy from a 1941 book called The Mask of Sanity:

4.) Unreliability

not really

Lord Lucien
Answers that.

Now how many does Anakin fit?

PTforthewin
Answers that.

Now how many does Anakin fit? didn't maul care about his brother? He seemed to look really sad and angry and surprised when he saw sidious kill him,

ares834

4.) Unreliability

Uh, oh...

Lord Lucien
Have you found an uncomfortable mirror?

Originally posted by PTforthewin
didn't maul care about his brother? He seemed to look really sad and angry and surprised when he saw sidious kill him, Iunno.

Darth Abonis
He was raised by a complete sociopath, so his personality was influenced by those traits.

Lord Stark
Sociopath? Not really. Psychopath? Most definitely.

Lord Lucien
Difference?

Emperordmb
Psychopath:
a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

Sociopath:
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Darth Abonis
I always thought sociopath was an umbrella title, and a psychopath was a sociopath that was able to act "normal" when he/she needed to. A sociopath was unable or unwilling to hide it.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Psychopath:
a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

Sociopath:
a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience. Do you have a source for that? Those sound like two symptoms of the same condition that have been arbitrarily separated. Sociopathy is often used to either avoid the stigma of the 'psycho' prefix, or to describe the disorder when it's socially imparted or gained through experience. But otherwise their typically synonyms.

NewGuy01
Dunno about how "charming" Maul can be, but he's very intelligent.

What?

Nah, Maul has been shown as nervous and fearful.

Depends on who he's dealing with.

Definitely fits here.

Definitely fits here.

He's definitely got adequate motivation for it...

Maul definitely learns.

Maul fits this bill, but he does seem to have some feelings for his brother.

Nope, doesn't fit.

Maul doesn't have this.

I guess yeah, he was always the silent type.

What?

No.

Sorry, haven't been doing my research on where Maul's dick has been. Oh wait, it's in some trash dump.

Maul is all about life plans lol.

WildBantha88

4.) Unreliability

Ummm, I fit a lot of those catagories.....am I a sociopath?

WildBantha88
Also I think about every sith to ever exist was a sociopath to an extent.

Lets see
Malgus entered rage fuelled bloodlusting frenzies on a regular basis and he murdered his own girlfriend

Bane held a mans child over a large pot of boiling stew right after murdering an entire family of inocents, to his credit he was doing it to stay alive but he has commited mass murder on multiple occasions

Oh heres a good onesmile
Plageuis kept a living sentient being as a science experiment where he killed it multiple times just to revive it and kill it again.

And Darth Vader/Anakin commited genocide....a lot. Im almost convinced it was his pass time.

So yea, I think its a safe bet to say there sociopaths.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by WildBantha88
Also I think about every sith to ever exist was a sociopath to an extent.

Lets see
Malgus entered rage fuelled bloodlusting frenzies on a regular basis and he murdered his own girlfriend

Bane held a mans child over a large pot of boiling stew right after murdering an entire family of inocents, to his credit he was doing it to stay alive but he has commited mass murder on multiple occasions

Oh heres a good onesmile
Plageuis kept a living sentient being as a science experiment where he killed it multiple times just to revive it and kill it again.

And Darth Vader/Anakin commited genocide....a lot. Im almost convinced it was his pass time.

So yea, I think its a safe bet to say there sociopaths. anakin was in no way a sociopath, he did all the bad guy stuff just to save padme's life plus he seems to care a lot about his padawan ahsoka

NemeBro
Ummm, I fit a lot of those catagories.....am I a sociopath? No, you're an edgy person on the internet pretending to be one.

WildBantha88
im edgy? big grin

Lord Stark
Do you have a source for that? Those sound like two symptoms of the same condition that have been arbitrarily separated. Sociopathy is often used to either avoid the stigma of the 'psycho' prefix, or to describe the disorder when it's socially imparted or gained through experience. But otherwise their typically synonyms.

Google.com definition actually. They are similar but I think the overly violent tendencies is what separates them. In other words the orgasmic pleasure Maul gets from watching Satine die and Kenobi's anguish from it is...well psycho.

Lord Lucien
im edgy? big grin Ya sure are, little lion man!

Originally posted by Lord Stark
Google.com definition actually. They are similar but I think the overly violent tendencies is what separates them. In other words the orgasmic pleasure Maul gets from watching Satine die and Kenobi's anguish from it is...well psycho. I check up on psycho/sociopathy every once in a while to see if the medical/psychological community has finally come to a consensus on the two terms. Some call them synonyms, some prefer 'socio' to avoid confusion with psychosis, some distinguish between genetic/inherent (psycho) and learned/socially driven (socio), some put one as the umbrella condition with the other as a specific case below it, some break up the symptoms and label them under the separate banners... the term is a mess. I stick with the synonym tilt, it's easier.

I prefer to call these people by a more accurate term: f*cking *ssholes. Which is a better description of Anakin than Maul, I feel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.