Rumor: Original Star Wars Films Prepped for Blu-ray

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Rumors about the original Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray have been around for years, but a new one that emerged last week is forcing even some traditional skeptics to speculate that before Episode VII arrives in theaters there is a good chance that Disney will somehow manage to bring peace to the galaxy.

The latest rumor comes from our friends over at Bleeding Cool, who have apparently intercepted an email from Disney's marketing department confirming that the studio is planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in their original form on Blu-ray.

We do not know how credible this rumor is, but if Disney is indeed planning such releases, having them on the market before Episode VII opens in theaters across the U.S. would make perfect sense.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/15/new-star-wars-rumors-include-original-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

I hope this happens

Lord Lucien
Like, original original?

queeq

coolmovies
We are talking about a remastered release of the unedited, non-special-edition original trilogy. NOT the 1997 version with the changes

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051914_0010

Lord Lucien
I'm okay with remastered. There are a few color and effect changes that need some touching up. No additions though.

-Pr-
As long as they don't **** with the lightsabers in Jedi like they did, I'll buy it.

queeq
The remastering is fine and welcome as well. Remastering just means making use of modern technology for grading, match color (like they did in Jaws) and even (I sure am fine with that) removing the 'boxes' around the miniature space ships, removing the opaque matte lines in ESB and fixing the Emperor's 'slugs'. All in all, making it look like it was INTENDED at the time.

I sure look forward to seeing the OT on blu ray in its ORIGINAL COLOR TIMED look, which was revolutionary at the time for sci-fi (the pale, cool, documentary 'realistic'-like look). Lucas sure screwed that up with his saturated look. So hell, yeah, I'll buy it!

coolmovies
Originally posted by queeq
The remastering is fine and welcome as well. Remastering just means making use of modern technology for grading, match color (like they did in Jaws) and even (I sure am fine with that) removing the 'boxes' around the miniature space ships, removing the opaque matte lines in ESB and fixing the Emperor's 'slugs'. All in all, making it look like it was INTENDED at the time.

I sure look forward to seeing the OT on blu ray in its ORIGINAL COLOR TIMED look, which was revolutionary at the time for sci-fi (the pale, cool, documentary 'realistic'-like look). Lucas sure screwed that up with his saturated look. So hell, yeah, I'll buy it!

I hope they fix EMPIRE becouse its all blue from start to finish for example the bottom picture is the SE and the top is the original

https://plus.google.com/photos/+DrewStewart/albums/5525747538664147553/5528248461881254258?banner=pwa&pid=5528248461881254258&oid=102542760950977079734

queeq

PTforthewin
How about they just restore everything to the original from the OT especially the Han shot first scene

queeq
That is what we're talking about, dude.

PTforthewin

Lord Lucien
That's only because it was an actual scene with the real actors. The CGI itself is horrible.

PTforthewin
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's only because it was an actual scene with the real actors. The CGI itself is horrible. let's be serious, the PT had way better action scenes then the OT

Lord Lucien
Which type of action? And what manner of "better"?

There's fast-paced chase sequences, gunfights, dogfights, space battles, and saber duels.

The only thing the PT has going for any of them is CGI that allows for every frame to be stuffed to the brim with digital effects, a la:

o3RR-rzT5ws

The lack of CG gives the OT the reverse advantage of being less cluttered, less polished and sterile looking, and more gritty, dirty, and real feeling. The explosive bursts when the laser bolts hit walls in the OT look, sound, and feel real. The PT does not, among other effects and instances.

And once again, action scenes need to have a point to them, other than simply existing. If the characters who take place in them aren't likeable or relatable, and the villains aren't interesting and "hateable", then there's no reason to care about what happens or why. It's an action sequence for the sake of an action sequence.

PTforthewin
Which type of action? And what manner of "better"?

There's fast-paced chase sequences, gunfights, dogfights, space battles, and saber duels.

The only thing the PT has going for any of them is CGI that allows for every frame to be stuffed to the brim with digital effects, a la:

o3RR-rzT5ws

The lack of CG gives the OT the reverse advantage of being less cluttered, less polished and sterile looking, and more gritty, dirty, and real feeling. The explosive bursts when the laser bolts hit walls in the OT look, sound, and feel real. The PT does not, among other effects and instances.

And once again, action scenes need to have a point to them, other than simply existing. If the characters who take place in them aren't likeable or relatable, and the villains aren't interesting and "hateable", then there's no reason to care about what happens or why. It's an action sequence for the sake of an action sequence. most of the action scenes do have a point to them in the PT trilogy for example, the 212th and obi wan where in the battle of utupau was to destroy grievous, the battle over coruscant had a meaning, to rescue the chancellor, the only "unimportant battles" in the movies where the battle on kashyyk and the battle on geonosis.

Lord Lucien
No, not a point "for the plot". A point for the audience.

I don't care about Grievous, the Clones, the war, the Republic, the Jedi etc. The movies never gave me a reason to like them, root for them, be interested in them, be emotionally invested in them, etc. So when all these elements take part in a battle or action scene, there's no tension, no excitement, no awe, no worry, no hope, no investment etc.

There's no point to it.

queeq
Employment of animators?

PTforthewin
No, not a point "for the plot". A point for the audience.

I don't care about Grievous, the Clones, the war, the Republic, the Jedi etc. The movies never gave me a reason to like them, root for them, be interested in them, be emotionally invested in them, etc. So when all these elements take part in a battle or action scene, there's no tension, no excitement, no awe, no worry, no hope, no investment etc.

There's no point to it. Wow, well I have excitement,worry, awe,tension when I see one of those battle scenes so I'm not sure if your just trolling.

queeq

Lord Lucien
Employment of animators? Gotta bring home that cheddah.

Originally posted by PTforthewin
Wow, well I have excitement,worry, awe,tension when I see one of those battle scenes so I'm not sure if your just trolling. Hey if you do, great. I'd rather like a movie than dislike it. But the prequels do nothing but bore or annoy me. The single greatest contribution the PT has made, in my opinion, is giving something that other people can work with, and not just within Star Wars canon.

Auralnauts and the RedLetterMedia reviews are far and away more entertaining.

queeq
RedletterMedia rules.

beedubaya
I actually prefer the Special Editions with the exception of the Han/Gredo scene. I understand, for nostalgic purposes, why people would want the original theatrical release. I hope the new set that comes out has both versions of the films.

queeq
Well, I'd like a nicely cleaned up version of the OT. Like they did with the excellent new Jaws blu ray. The SE's were already tinkered with.

The OOT made movie history, HUUUUUUGE movie history. Why are the actual movies that actually made that actual movie history kept from the audience?

I don't mind Lucas endlessly changing his mind and tinkering with his saga. Just give us what made millions wow in the first place as well, in as good a condition as possible.

They can clean up matte lines, the boxes around the Tie's, fix cracks in the film etc. but please don't tamper with the look. Just give us what made SW great.

beedubaya
My first exposure to Star Wars was the 1997 special editions in theaters. Therefore, that is the definitive version in my mind.

queeq
But it isn't.

It's like saying the chronological tv series of The Godfather is your first experience of the Godfather and therefore the definitive version. It is NOT... that series (like the SW SE) would never have existed without the success and greatness of the originals. The ORIGINALS made movie history, not the SE's.

And how can you like that terrible, terrible Jabba in ANH-SE.... ?*shudder*

coolmovies

queeq
That would be nice.

But why are the negatives damaged? And why is the rum gone?

coolmovies
becouse they are old

queeq
So? Movies that are much older haven been nicely restored using the negatives.

The Godfather movies had only one little old age problem: the perfs were damaged, but that was easily fixed.

coolmovies
So? Movies that are much older haven been nicely restored using the negatives.

The Godfather movies had only one little old age problem: the perfs were damaged, but that was easily fixed.

These movies could have been out 10 years ago but lucus said they cost too much time and money

queeq
Oh yeah, and he sure is lacking in that department.

Personally, I think he just didn't want them to be out there. I think it's a sure money maker. SW nut jobs like us will buy it. If they can restore a cult tv series like Twin Peaks using the original film negatives (and not the original video masters) and make money on that, the OOT on blu ray will certainly make money. I think it's just a bunch of lame excuses.

cornponious
I have the "O" OT on laserdisc. Splotchy. Dim. Original effects. Dull sound.

Would not have it any other way. And yes, the laserdiscs have issues because the film had damage, especially in EpIV.

queeq
Yes, well... they restorde The Godfather and Jaws... They can do this to ANH. It certainly deserves it for posterity.

cornponious
I agree. These classic films need to be preserved for posterity. And yes, the Jaws blu-ray is gorgeous.

Personally though, I'd want to see BR of the OT as they were originally filmed and shown in theaters. So many people have never seen them this way.

queeq
That's what I mean though. But I wouldn't mind if they fix the boxes around the TIE's, remove the scratches and stuff. The thing I like about these hires restorations is that we get to see them in a way only the director and editors at the time saw them, in first print quality. Even in theaters you're watching copies.

C-3POTheClever
I think both versions should be available. They should have the way Lucas imagined it, & the way it was Originally views. Just have different versions on the same disk. However, I do think some of the changes should be taken away regardless such as Darth Vader's "NOOOOOOOO" which no one asked for or wanted or even liked!

queeq
Hehehe... SW will go into history as the movie with the largest amount of different versions... Film historians of the future will go crazy!!!

coolmovies
Reliance Media Works, who were previously called Lowry Digital and worked on the earlier DVD and Blu-ray releases of the Star Wars films, as well as the original Indiana Jones movies, have announced on their website that they recently finished a 4K/16-bit restoration of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Star Wars in 4K !!!

That's great news but which versions?

https://www.avforums.com/news/original-star-wars-trilogy-in-4k.10513

I hope its Original, Unaltered version

queeq
We all do!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.