How angry will you be if Brian Wood's Star Wars series becomes canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
I will be FURIOUS. I HATE Brian Wood's series. It is the biggest load of crap ever and it took SO long to f*ucking end. Nothing about it was good. I heard a rumor that it might be related to the 2 star wars titles Marvel might be releasing in the future, and I will flip sh*it if that is the case.

Lord Lucien
Who? What series?

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Who? What series?
It's an ongoing ESB prequel comic.

Lord Lucien
What's it called?

FreshestSlice
Star Wars.

Lord Lucien
Never heard of it.

Q99
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
I will be FURIOUS. I HATE Brian Wood's series. It is the biggest load of crap ever and it took SO long to f*ucking end. Nothing about it was good. I heard a rumor that it might be related to the 2 star wars titles Marvel might be releasing in the future, and I will flip sh*it if that is the case.

.... really?

I stopped after a point, but it seemed to me to be 'Leia spends some time as a rebel pilot, Luke connects with some pilots, etc..'

It's rebels being rebels and Imperials being Imperials with no new superweapons, no new uber villains, etc.. It's not as good as Legacy II, but as far as I can tell, putting it into canon would affect almost nothing.

What am I supposed to be offended about?

Darth Abonis
Yes it had nothing life-changing. It just had crappy storylines, horrible characters and the only good thing is Leia's huge **** in a short top.

Q99
Didn't seem that horrible to me, and I'm not even a fan of Wood.

There are some notable SW writers who are quite a bit worse.

Do you have any *specific* complaints?

Darth Abonis
Just the flow. It would build these plotlines only to have them disintegrate before they properly built their stride. It introduced characters that virtually amounted to nothing after great importance was seemingly put on them. The Luke jealousy phase was so out of character and the only redeeming quality was Old Ben's ghost contacting Vader.

PTforthewin
Idc

Q99
Just the flow. It would build these plotlines only to have them disintegrate before they properly built their stride. It introduced characters that virtually amounted to nothing after great importance was seemingly put on them. The Luke jealousy phase was so out of character and the only redeeming quality was Old Ben's ghost contacting Vader.

I stopped after awhile so I didn't really encounter that, but.... so?

You'd get pissed about.... poor story flow being canon?

More-so than, say, Kevin J. Anderson's stuff or Karen Travis's mandos and jedi-hate?

You've got weird priorities.

Darth _Sadow1
It can't be worse than "The Glove of Darth Vader"...NOTHING can be a worse novel than that...

Lord Lucien
I don't know, I have some pretty bad memories of Crystal Star.

Darth _Sadow1
Have you READ "Glove of Darth Vader?" One of the novels in the series is called "Journey to Mount Yoda." It is pure narm cover to cover

Q99
Originally posted by Darth _Sadow1
It can't be worse than "The Glove of Darth Vader"...NOTHING can be a worse novel than that...

Luke's connection to the force is cut off by the Crystal Star so he falls in with an evil cult of an extra-dimensional alien blob called Waru with non-force powers who was allied with 'Imperial dark side adept who thinks he's boss now that the real sith are gone' #8, Hethrir. The climax of the novel takes place *inside* Waru's 'golden ichor'.

And of Wood's series I read up to issue.... 8, I think? Something like that? And I didn't even particularly notice the issues Abonis is raging about. Even if you don't like them, they're fairly normal rebellion stories of the type done before, with one of the more unusual bits being Leia doing some piloting.

Darth Abonis
Its just.... I don't know. I hate the depictions of the characters, and the stories that transition from one dumb plot to another and its length. Its like enough already. Issue 19 has IG-88 in it, so I might buy it but I gave up after 14, and Issue 20 might give us a clue if this smut will be carried over to canon.

The Merchant
The only problem that I had is that the 2nd death star was now literally already in construction right after episode IV rather than 6 months before episode VI.

Q99
Originally posted by The Merchant
The only problem that I had is that the 2nd death star was now literally already in construction right after episode IV rather than 6 months before episode VI.

Consider the prequels retconned the DS1 to be in construction for 19 *years*.

The DS2's build time pretty much had to be retconned or the difference becomes absurd.

Its just.... I don't know. I hate the depictions of the characters, and the stories that transition from one dumb plot to another and its length. Its like enough already. Issue 19 has IG-88 in it, so I might buy it but I gave up after 14, and Issue 20 might give us a clue if this smut will be carried over to canon.

Seriously, feeling there's bad story flow and not liking the plot points- though not being able to point out anything horrendously bad about them (c'mon, can't you be a little more specific? The love interest for Luke, maybe? He's had a number of those before....), is not much to get worked up about, especially not the canonness.

Look at my post on Waru! Loooook at Waru! That is bad and doesn't deserve to be in canon. Palpatine having a three-eyed son who tries to take over the Empire, that is also really, really bad.

Wood just sounds not-to-your-taste but I don't see how including it would even affect anything.

Darth Abonis
Okay I'll be specific. 1. Luke's attitude. 2. Creation of a character (Perla), only to have her go nowhere). Climatic plots that quickly fizzle out and become anti-climatic. Creation of whole new world (Arrochar), and then they turn into nothing. A chance to see Lord Vader in action with an imperial (only to have it become stupid). Blowing up a wooden house with laser cannons. Having a tough Imperial turn out to be a spy and relative of Mon Mothma then leave the storyline. Its just annoying. he creates so much stuff, and then it drifts away. Its like he has ADD.

Q99
Elaboration?

Aside from it not being over, *so many other stories* do that. Especially EU ones. Characters cannot hang around just known characters. The last rebellion comic did that too, I'm pretty sure the 80s SW comics did as well.

A legit complaint, but no Waru.

Ok, here I have a complaint: Not creating new worlds in SW is a problem. It's supposed to be a big galaxy, almost everything should take place either at a new world, or one of a very small number of major-major worlds.

Visiting new worlds that turn out to be not-galaxy-shaking is a good thing in my view.

Yea, some writers do that. Often it's to set up later returns (keep in mind he might've been planning for longer than he's going to get), other times it's sloppiness, but it hardly strikes me as the greatest sin in the EU! There's countless dropped plot points out there.

Darth Abonis
Luke acting jealous and wanting to leave the rebellion.
Also I expected more from everything this guy creates. Even crappy EU from the 80's,90's had a retro feel. This is just modern bullshit

Q99
Luke acting jealous and wanting to leave the rebellion.

Jealousy isn't weird, this is *right* after ANH he's still quite young, and in Crystal Star he decided to join an evil cult. Maybe not the best, but certainly not the worst Luke by a long shot!

Modern's.... bad? It's made nowadays, of course it's more modern.

Darth Abonis
No no I meant this is bullshit within the modern era. I'm not criticizing it for being modern, I'm just stating a fact.

Q99
How much other SW have you read? Because there is some truly dire stuff out there.

Astor Ebligis
I know you're a Dark Horse fan Q, but Brian Wood's series is pretty mediocre, and this is coming from someone who's both a SW fan and a fan of his other works. He just doesn't have a good grasp of SW at all.

PTforthewin
I made a fanon page about luke being a ***** and getting killed by darth vader and the empire wins yay

Darth Abonis
I haven't read Crystal Star, but I am also happy Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin isn't canon.

DarthAnt66
Proof it's no longer canon?
Wookiee still says it is.

Darth Abonis
Actually Wookieepedia says its legends. Everything published before April 25th is non-canon aside from ongoing series like (Star Wars by Brian Wood, Legacy Volume II, and Rebel Heist). Blade Squadron Part 1 is the only canon thing published before April 25th.

Q99
Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
I know you're a Dark Horse fan Q, but Brian Wood's series is pretty mediocre, and this is coming from someone who's both a SW fan and a fan of his other works. He just doesn't have a good grasp of SW at all.

Hey, I dropped the book myself, you don't need to see me on it being not-great smile I prefer Legacy 2, Dawn, Dark Times.... come to think of it, it's probably my least individual recent book of theirs.

I just think it's unexceptional 'main characters go on adventures' stuff, while revulsion/'I'd utterly hate if that's the bit that stays canon' reaction I save for the really bad, or at least the concepts that don't really fit with SW.

IG-88 is the Death Star 2! Black Fleet Crisis! Sun Crusher- it's stronger than the Death Star but it's a fighter-sized snow cone!

I mean, if the BW Star Wars is the worst SW stuff that Adonis has read.... well, all I can say is he's been fortunate smile

PTforthewin
I want to know more about the null-class arcs

Darth Abonis
The IG-88, Sun Crusher and Black Fleet weren't that bad to me.

Q99
The IG-88, Sun Crusher and Black Fleet weren't that bad to me.

The aliens I found incredibly un-star-warsy and pointlessly evil even compared to sith, their ships somehow seemed to be based on another tech base entirely (one system producing giant huge swarms of thousands of ships that all look like balls) while everyone else ever uses ships that, while each having their own individual style, conforms to similar patterns.

The whole Yevetha thing was a horrible story concept that doesn't fit with SW, and aren't a good villain in general.

IG-88? It's a bait and switch, "this other thing that was going on was actually more important than most of the stuff going on on-screen! The Empire was doomed anyway, just at the hands of an evil robot!" plot. Lazy way to make something huge.

Sun Crusher? Aside from being a 'suddenly, even better superweapon!' thing, the story was full of tons of overpowered Deus Ex Force solutions, like just... pulling the thing out of the core of a gas giant. Power levels jumped around all over the place. None of it's technologies are ever used again in anything despite being better than everything. Yadda yadda.

Waru, Luke literally joined an evil cult to gain his force powers back.

You've named some problems, but the characterization of main characters has been far worse in the past, and 'plots don't go anywhere,' is rather minor on the list of writing sins unless it's massively more egregious than that ("Hey, what happened to Darth So-and-so and the army that was going to conquer the galaxy in a year unless stopped?" "Eh, dunno."wink.

Heck, Han Solo was a jerk to his family throughout most of the New Jedi Order books. Jacen's character was massively derailed in Legacy of the Force novels. Shadows of the Empire had Leia falling for an evil guy with magic seduction powers.

I'm seriously trying to understand why the Wood Star Wars is worth that much ire, against speaking as someone who doesn't particularly like it. If it's so incredibly bad why is it hard to get into specifics?

PTforthewin
Han Solo is kind of a dick.

Q99
Originally posted by PTforthewin
Han Solo is kind of a dick.

Yea, kind of a dick, but NJO took it to a new level.

DarthAnt66
Actually Wookieepedia says its legends. Everything published before April 25th is non-canon aside from ongoing series like (Star Wars by Brian Wood, Legacy Volume II, and Rebel Heist). Blade Squadron Part 1 is the only canon thing published before April 25th.
Lol, no one follows that. As in canon, I mean Legends. Same thing tbh on a forum dedicated to the EU.

Darth _Sadow1
Originally posted by Q99
Consider the prequels retconned the DS1 to be in construction for 19 *years*.

The DS2's build time pretty much had to be retconned or the difference becomes absurd.

I agree. I've always had an issue with how fast they built the second Death Star after I learned how little time passes between the OT films. To build a Death Star 33% larger with a better superlaser in even 4 years (Right after the first was destroyed) is still impressive enough...Even if it was incomplete.

]

PTforthewin
The empire has quantity, the rebels have QUALITY that means the rebels have better soldiers, better weapons, the mon cal cruiser is slightly better then the star destroyer, and the Death Star is easily destroyed. The empire has numbers, stormtroopers are meant to swarm the enemy, not be a good successful military force.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by PTforthewin
the rebels have QUALITY that means the rebels have better soldiers, better weapons, the mon cal cruiser is slightly better then the star destroyer, and the Death Star is easily destroyed.
WHAT?

NewGuy01
He's actually right in some sense. It's been outright stated that the Rebels were much better trained than the Storm Troopers, and that Palpatine's Battle Meditation was what evened it out.

Darth Abonis
Its hard to be 100% specific. At least everything you don't like is creative. Brian Wood is just wooden.

Q99
Its hard to be 100% specific. At least everything you don't like is creative. Brian Wood is just wooden.

Mostly I'm not seeing why 'wooden' draws such ire. To me, 'wooden' means 'easily ignored,' since it doesn't affect much of anything anyway.

And he does do a couple new things- Leia as a pilot, some politicking with imperial officers...

PTforthewin
What happened to the clone officers

Darth Abonis
Another crappy lifeless issue. #19 might be interesting, though. It has IG-88 in it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.