How come no one uses Vibroblades or Swords in the later generations?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
All we see is blasters...

Why don't Boba fett, Han Solo, and others carry Vibroblades?

PTforthewin
Drexl Roosh carried a vibroblade

Q99
Gamorans carried vibroaxes.

Largely, though? I'd say they just aren't that great weapons. Guns are, generally speaking, better.

Darth Abonis
Lots of EU characters had vibroblades. Han is too cautious to use a melee weapon. He prefers to shoot from the hip and from a safe distance.

Jmanghan
It just seems kinda unwise. "Oh, what she I use, a lightsaber-proof vibroblade... Or... a blaster that a Jedi/Sith can deflect in definitely that may cause me to lose my life... Hmm... I'mma have to go with a blaster rifle...

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It just seems kinda unwise. "Oh, what she I use, a lightsaber-proof vibroblade... Or... a blaster that a Jedi/Sith can deflect in definitely that may cause me to lose my life... Hmm... I'mma have to go with a blaster rifle...

Most people lack the reflexes to matter with a vibroblade though

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Most people lack the reflexes to matter with a vibroblade though

True, but it should be used as a defence type weapon. As a last resort weapon when the Jedi/Dark Jedi are charging at you and you literally can't stop them with your blasters. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be caught off-guard and you'll cut off a limb. Luck is a very big ally in the star wars universe.

NewGuy01
Boba Fett has wielded Vibroblades.

PTforthewin
True, but it should be used as a defence type weapon. As a last resort weapon when the Jedi/Dark Jedi are charging at you and you literally can't stop them with your blasters. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be caught off-guard and you'll cut off a limb. Luck is a very big ally in the star wars universe. that and plot convenience

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Boba Fett has wielded Vibroblades.

Really? I don't recall. Not saying I don't believe you, but can you provide scans?

NewGuy01
His right gantlet has retractable vibro-blades. And yes, he has been depicted using this in combat, specifically in LotF: Revelations, where he uses it to slice some chick's throat in a h2h fight.

deathslash
Some clone troopers used vibroblades. I also remember that Gamoreans, skilled mecenaries and Trandoshands largley use vibroblades. Didn't republic commandoes also have vibroblades in their gauntlets.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NewGuy01
His right gantlet has retractable vibro-blades. And yes, he has been depicted using this in combat, specifically in LotF: Revelations, where he uses it to slice some chick's throat in a h2h fight.

He ever beat a Jedi/Sith with it?

Tzeentch
Guns are superior to swords in all situations sans fighting against a Jedi.

When fighting a Jedi, having a sword won't matter.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Guns are superior to swords in all situations
Not in close combat. And there's always the advantage of a sword not running out of ammo.

Eminence
On the .001% chance that your average cantina scum has to face off against a Jedi, he's going to lose whether he has a vibroblade or not. So why bother? It's just not a realistic event to plan for. If a given individual finds himself in a line of work where interference is not just likely but practically guaranteed, odds are he's one of the relatively rare few equipped to meaningfully engage: one on one through some combination of raw physicality and athleticism and very sharp reflexes (sometimes traits innate in a given species), skill and training, tactics and equipment, etc. OR through superior numbers organized by and under experienced command. Pretty much anybody else is ****ed and probably knows it. I'm sure plenty of people still carry vibroshivs and even swords for the grappling range where a sharp object is actually useful to any humanoid with human-like physical capabilities, but they probably still didn't pack those with Jedi in mind.

Anyway, a small enough gun at close quarters is still better than any sword except a lightsaber, which is so useful because it entirely ignores the application of force required to make any other "cutting" implement perform its function.

Jmanghan
Guns are superior to swords in all situations sans fighting against a Jedi.

When fighting a Jedi, having a sword won't matter.

As far as I know, Vibroblades have cortosis, or something else that helps them sustain lightsaber blows.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Not in close combat.Guns are superior to swords in close combat. It takes less time and body motion to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger than it takes to swing a sword; there's also the fact that a bullet or blaster bolt can't be parried or dodged like a sword can.

If you run out of ammo and you're fighting someone with a gun, you're dead regardless of your sword. If you're fighting someone with a sword and you have a gun, why would you be out of ammo.

I'm sure you can devise a theoretical situation in which a sword would be superior to a gun, but the situation is going to be so uncommon that it doesn't really matter. Exceptions to a rule are exceptions.

As far as I know, Vibroblades have cortosis, or something else that helps them sustain lightsaber blows.

I'm not saying swords are useless against Jedi because their lightsabers will cut it in half, I'm saying swords are useless against Jedi because realistically someone who doesn't have force enhanced reflexes, strength, durability, speed and precognitive abilities is going to get shit-stomped by someone who does in a sword duel every time.

Lord Stark
Because there are only 10,000 Jedi in the galaxy in later generations. The odds of encountering a JK or SL are like 1 in a hundred billion.

Fated Xtasy

I'm not saying swords are useless against Jedi because their lightsabers will cut it in half, I'm saying swords are useless against Jedi because realistically someone who doesn't have force enhanced reflexes, strength, durability, speed and precognitive abilities is going to get shit-stomped by someone who does in a sword duel every time.

didn't the Mandalorians fight and kill jedi with their blades without having forced enhanced reflexes, strength, durability, speed and precognitive abilities? I mean in later generation(especially in ANH) the jedi are all but extinct, why would you need a sword? but im sure later in the from ROTJ to Krayts era some people have used Vibro - blades against Jedi, Boba Fett is the only one I can think of though. then theres Marka Ragnos who used his sword against Jaden Korr, also don't the imperial guard use some sort of spear/pike thing?

Lek Kuen
If you kill a Jedi in melee you clearly have some sort of enhanced reflexes and strength. And aren't the random guys who need a blaster

Eminence
For the record, a product of Sith sorcery wielded against a Padawan by a Force-sensitive possessed by the spirit of one of the most powerful Dark Lords in history is not typical. Nor is the Emperor's personal guard, nor are any Mandalorians, let alone Pre Vizsla or Jango and Boba Fett. If you guys are looking for cases post-KOTOR where non-lightsaber melee implements were used... well, you don't have to look very long or far. But it's probably not because some random pirate is prepping for close quarters combat with a Jedi.

Again:

Q99
Generally only low-level Jedi would die to top-level mandos, blade wise.

Q99

That's only specific vibroblades. Most? Don't.

Cortosis is expensive. Few are willing to pay the price for such tools.

PTforthewin
IDK! Maybe Lucas didn't think of vibroblades in the 70's!

Lord Lucien
Lucas probably didn't think of vibroblades ever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.