What if God...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
...revealed him(her?)self today proving his existence. How would the world react? How would atheists react? Without specifying if he is the Christian God or Muslim Allah etc how would General public react to the proven existence of supreme deity?

Bardock42
...was one of us. Just a slob like one of us. Just a stranger on the bus...trying to make its way home.

Shakyamunison
They would think he/she was an advanced alien.

Damborgson
I already believe in a supreme being, but I'm sure I'd be shocked.

Mindship
No one would believe it, until "He" demonstrated His mighty and benevolent power. Then most people would fear, certainly question this being, though many would begin to worship.

As more and more people began accepting His intervention, the established powers that be (eg, national governments), would begin to see Him as a potential threat. Top secret organizations would form to study this being (dominant hypothesis: advanced alien), and try to discover weaknesses. There may well be (probing?) attacks launched.

Some religions (and atheists) will adapt better than others; it will be a momentous time for flexible thinking. In time, like people, nations will either adapt and accept, or go down in revolution and flame, then to be reborn. In time, and only in time, will the world as a whole accept the truth.

In the far future, after much diminishing grief and expanding joy, this presence will awaken all over, for an infinite, eternal moment, then, smiling, will begin the Dream anew.

cool

Damborgson
That sounds a little like what happened when King Thor began taking an active role in how the world ran. I like it thumb up

Mindship
Originally posted by Damborgson
That sounds a little like what happened when King Thor began taking an active role in how the world ran. I like it thumb up Well, if it was good enough for King Thor...

Shakyamunison
Who is king Thor?

Mindship
Marvel's Thor. As I understand it, there was a story arc where he became ruler of Asgard. Huge upgrade in power.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
Marvel's Thor. As I understand it, there was a story arc where he became ruler of Asgard. Huge upgrade in power.

Okay, thanks. I'm not a Marvel fan.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Okay, thanks. I'm not a Marvel fan.

Wut.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Wut.

I was more into ghost story comics when I was a kid. Not much into supper heroes.

Stealth Moose
You have shamed the clan. Go thee into exile.

Shakyamunison

Man, you Marvelits are too extreme. stick out tongue

Mindship
I didn't even know they had ghost story comics. You mean, like horror stuff (or Casper TFG)?

Stealth Moose

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindship
I didn't even know they had ghost story comics. You mean, like horror stuff (or Casper TFG)?

Stuff like this...

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/300/15/15862.jpg

Stealth Moose, you are starting to repeat yourself. wink

Mindship
Stuff like this... Good golly miss molly

Stealth Moose, you are starting to repeat yourself. wink The needle's stuck.

Stealth Moose
Haters gonna hate.

Shakyamunison
Haters gonna hate.

laughing out loud

Shabazz916
why would god show itself... if it did show itself it would have to end all life

SamZED
Why?

riv6672
Yeah, why?

Now, him showing might spark a lot if violence in and of itself, as various factions either claim or denounce him. Many wars over religion give proof to our willingness to fight over belief, without an actual Deity walking around. I can only think it'd be worse if he showed up.

Along those lines, Mindship's scenario would also be a huge part of the ensuing turmoil.
Basically God wouldnt have to destroy us, but he might cause us to do it to ourselves.

Shabazz916
because what would life be about ? the only reason we live is to serve god... and with everybody knowing what would be the point of us living

riv6672
That...is...no, thats just not making sense.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bardock42
...was one of us. Just a slob like one of us. Just a stranger on the bus...trying to make its way home.
EDIT:
Shit, you beat me to it!

MF DELPH
I think it would be hilarious if it turned out that after all this time God was actually Crom from Conan.

riv6672
Was speaking to my wife about my confusion at shzbazz's post.
She aaid that an event like this would spark any number of mass suicides, which is sad.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I think it would be hilarious if it turned out that after all this time God was actually Crom from Conan.

Then to hell with him.

Lord Lucien
Enough talk!

Stealth Moose
HAVE AT THEE!

Shabazz916
what would life be if we know everything ?

riv6672
What would we know, though?
That he exists?
Lots of folks already believe that.
As said above his appearance will cause a lot of turmoil but, i live for my family. I'd keep taking care of them, same as always.
No reason to end it all or anything.

Shabazz916
Originally posted by riv6672
That he exists?
As said above his appearance will cause a lot of turmoil but, i live for my family. I'd keep taking care of them, same as always.

most like god would not do a hi and bye... there would be a reason to show himself

riv6672
In the unlikely event it happens, i sincerely hope you stick around and see the outcome, Shabazz.

Shabazz916
In the unlikely event it happens, i sincerely hope you stick around and see the outcome, Shabazz.

I sure hope so too

Shakyamunison
What if unicorns...

Esau Cairn
That he exists?

What turmoil do you mean?
People of other beliefs turning on themselves?

You say that you live for your family & that wouldn't change....

What IF you were one of those parents whose child was killed in a random unforseen freak accident?

Would you still welcome God or would you be angry with Him?

Would you accept His explanation that He works in "mysterious ways" when you question the loss, the sadness He has created in your life?

Would you feel peace within when God explains that your child is in a better place now OR would you feel resentment that God granted you a child only to take it from you & feel the rest of your life with anger, guilt, shame...?

riv6672
Themselves and others, yeah. A person is smart. People are stupid.

As to the rest of your post:
I've experienced loss. Loved ones. Friends. To murder, drugs. War. I've had family and friends shot stabbed raped burned commit suicide.
I've been mad at god. Doesnt mean i hold him personally responsible for the bad things in my life.
Free will comes at a price.
Me personally, i wouldnt freak out at seeing god show up.
I'd be pleased.
I'M never getting into heaven, but it'd be good to KNOW know that my people are going to.

Esau Cairn
Fair enough...I really respect your point of view.

However free will coming at a price...I dunno about that.

The fact that we're born, created, placed on this earth without a choice in the matter...grants us free will IMO.
Free will to choose to kill or do good unto others, free will to choose between Coke or Pepsi...it's not a God given right, it's pre-programmed in us as a personality trait.

Yeah I'll never get to Heaven either & the only person in my life who I honestly "knew" would get into Heaven had to die a slow & painful death through cancer.
What price, paradise huh?

riv6672
Such is life.
But your comment about pre programmed personality traits, with god plastered all over the media, big as life, is now very much subject to being god given.

Esau Cairn
Don't understand your connection about God & the media?

riv6672
He would BE in the media. TV, radio, the net. Cameras would follow him everywhere.
And if he took off awhile, all the news would be ABOUT him, and what his appearance had caused.

Thats all i meant.

Esau Cairn
If it's not a pre-programmed personality trait...I can then see a murderer justifying in court that if was actually God that gave him the will to murder...

riv6672
It was god who gave him free will.
It was the murderer who took that will and murdered with it.

God (guns dont) doesnt kill people. People kill people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.