The best console games of this generation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Pick here!

Pick your top 10 console games of this generation and put them in order.

Which games did you pick and how did you order them?

-Pr-
1. That's a weird list.
2. No PC option. I know it says console games, but...

Anyway, picking only one game per franchise...

1. Dragon Age: Origins

Pretty much my favourite game of the last decade. Epic in scope, brilliantly voiced and written, and with satisfying, tactical combat. When you're not spamming Mana Clash, that is.

2. Batman: Arkham City

Might not have had the "wow" factor of Asylum, but the game is, imo, the greatest comic-book related game ever made. Moving between stealth and combat is seamless, the way it should be. Like playing a Batman comic.

3. Mass Effect 2

Amazing game. Amazing story, amazing characters. Even the gameplay holds up today. One of the biggest reasons why Bioware is my favourite developer right now.

4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

As much as the first Modern Warfare shook things up, MW2, to me, perfected everything about the first one and added to it. Like playing an 80s action movie, which I ****ing love.

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

As much as I might think that the "vanilla" version of the game is overrated as hell, it's something else with mods. With mods, Skyrim is something special. An amazing sandbox, and hours (and hours) of fun.

6. Grand Theft Auto V

Just love it. So much to do, so much to see, and with the wonderful engine IV had, but improved. The scale of the game continues to impress me.

7. Mortal Kombat

As someone who played the original MK 1 and MK 2 on my Amiga 600, this game broughtme right back to my childhood, and yet the game is incredibly deep in terms of content and gameplay. Awesome story mode, satisfying fights. Except Shao Kahn. **** him.

8. The Last of Us

Just a great game. Some things I didn't like, but for the most part, an excellent game that wholly deserved to be called one of the best games of the last few years.

9.Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Black Flag is, for me, Assassin's Creed finally realising its potential. 2 was great, and even Brotherhood and Revelations were solid, but this... Brilliant. One of my favourite games of the last while. If only they hadn't ****ed up the PC port.

10. Sleeping Dogs

It's GTA with a John Woo movie plot. Love the combat and story.

Tzeentch
My picks (in order) were:

Mass Effect 2
Bioshock
Mirror's Edge
Modern Warfare
Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption
The Orange Box
Gears of War
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Can't remember my 10th game.

My picks were based on a mixture of general game quality as well as contribution to the industry as a whole.

NemeBro
Demon's Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Bioshock
Fallout: New Vegas
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Red Dead Redemption
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon's Dogma
Metal Gear Solid 4

I didn't order them because **** you, I omitted console games that I played on PC only (Like Dark Souls 1 and 2 for example), and only allowed my favorite game of any given franchise (So NV trumped 3)

Zack Fair
1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Grand Theft Auto 5
4. Bioshock Infinite(can be switched for Bioshock)
5. Halo 3
6. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag(can be switched for AC2)
7. Fallout 3
8. The Last of Us
9. Batman Arkham City
10. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Bonus: Skyrim

BlackZero30x
The Force Unleashed...I absolutely love the story in this game! I have the novelization and Graphic Novel lol

Arkham City...Obvious pick lol

Bioshock Infinite...I couldn't stop playing! Such a good game!

Gears Of War....The series has its problems. specifically the story but a lot of fun online!

Dishonored....Nothing to say but it was a lot of fun.

Infamous....The first Infamous was done so well. It was my favorite game on the Playstation

Sonic Generations....Sonic has had some bad games in the past but this one was just amazing! Kinda short but worth the purchase!

Tomb Raider (the newest one...although I waited to get it until it came out for the Xbone)

South Park Stick of Truth...The best turn based RPG I have ever played!

Lego Marvel Super Heroes....The best Marvel game I have played to date!

Impediment
Batman: Arkham City - The single greatest superhero game ever made.

Bioshock - A totally engrossing story and environment with characters and powers that left me stunned and amazed.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - This game redefined and revolutionized the first person shooter. The multiplayer isn't as fine tuned as MW2, but the campaign is nothing short of magical.

God of War III - An epic game of epic proportions with graphics that still amaze me.

Journey - This PS3 exclusive is gaming Nirvana. 'Nuff said.

The Last of Us - Not many games make me misty eyed and emotional, but this one did on many levels. Characters, graphics, game play mechanics, and realism make this game a true gem.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Hands down, the best LoZ game of all time. Beautifully made with an unforgettable ending.

Super Mario Galaxy - Mario at his finest. This is one of the few games that I actually still play on my Wii.

Super Paper Mario - Funny, weird, kooky, inventive, and so much fun. A very underrated game, IMO.

The Walking Dead - One of the single greatest gaming experiences I have ever had. The story is absolutely enthralling.

Honorable mentions:

Dead Space 1 and 2
Heavy Rain
Limbo
Motorstorm
Portal
South Park: The Stick of Truth

NemeBro
Originally posted by -Pr-

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

As much as I might think that the "vanilla" version of the game is overrated as hell, it's something else with mods. With mods, Skyrim is something special. An amazing sandbox, and hours (and hours) of fun.
It's something else all right. With mods, it's not a console game, lol.

FinalAnswer
1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Demon's Souls
3. Dead Space 2
4. Bioshock
5. Dark Souls
6. Mass Effect 2
7. Dragon's Dogma
8. Mortal Kombat
9. Assassin's Creed 2
10. Call of Duty World at War

Not including games that I've only played on PC or games that I've felt don't hold up as well on the PS3 I played them on in comparison (Like New Vegas, which is a broken pile of garbage on PS3)

-Pr-
Originally posted by NemeBro
It's something else all right. With mods, it's not a console game, lol.

Well yes, but I felt it wouldn't have been right to put it on the list without explaining. stick out tongue

Astor Ebligis
Ignoring indie games, remakes/ports etc. and limiting it to one game per franchise:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. Portal 2
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5. Valkyria Chronicles
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
7. Heavy Rain
8. Tales of Vesperia
9. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
10. Lost Odyssey

If I was including indie games the following would have all made the list:

Braid
Limbo
The Unfinished Swan
Flower
Journey

Astor Ebligis
Shit totally forgot about Catherine, which I'd slot in between 5 and 6.

BackFire
Took this list from another similar thread, slightly modified to include Last of Us, dropping Braid from the list.

10. Portal:
The best bonus to every come with a game. Few people knew what this would be when The Orange Box came out. Even fewer knew how it would completely change the gaming landscape, spawning one of the most memorable and quotable lines in gaming history. That one about the cake. Brilliant levels and greatly benefiting from its short length, leaving you wanting much more by the time it's done. One of the best puzzle games of all time.

9. The Walking Dead - The Game
I remember several years ago there was a lot of discussion among developers in the industry if there'd ever be a game truly capable of making mass gamers cry. It was a topic discussed in any number of gaming publications, on forums, in magazines. Years later we have that game.

One of the most profoundly powerful stories ever told in the medium, with one of the most memorable characters I've encountered - the little girl Clemintine. The desire to protect her is absurdly powerful, and the connection you feel towards her - remarkable. Also has perhaps the most potent sense of dread I've played in a game. Relentlessly dark. But capable of gripping even the coldest human heart.

8. Mass Effect:
The start of something great. Taking the idea of meaningful choice and making it feel truly important. Mass Effect captured imaginations in a way I've never seen before by creating the potential for player choice to play a huge role in the story on a scale that we've never seen before. Introduces us to many great characters that blossum as the series progresses.

7. Bioshock Infinite
Takes the quality world building of the first game and improves on the gameplay and the story. While many may prefer Rapture to Columbia, the story here is leagues better than the first. Extremely heady and borderline pretentious, but thought provoking and artful. If every there was a game to convince someone that games can be art, this is it.

6. Bioshock:
Would you kindly...need I say more? Rapture is one of the most well realized game worlds ever created. While the story falters and slips into cliches, the world is something both horrifying and beautiful. A world you can lose yourself in. A place worth exploring.

5. Arkham City:
The ultimate batman simulator. A great combination of story, fullfilling gameplay and a wonderfully developed world that is great fun to explore. Part GTA, part Zelda, part beat em up and part puzzle game, Arkham City succeeds by offering an almost dizzying amount of unique content, each individual portion better than that of most games that concentrate solely on that style of gameplay.

4. Last of Us:
A game, like The Walking Dead, that humbles the player by forcing them to feel things in ways that most video games can only dream of. A tragic, and ultimately beautiful exploration of how far we'd go for the ones we love, and very fun to play, with one of the most potent atmospheres I've experienced and one of the best openings of all time. Beautiful graphics and a haunting subdued soundtrack are some of the first things you'll notice while playing this game, but in the end it's Joel and Ellie's journey, and their relationship, that will be etched into my mind for a long, long time.

3. Mass Effect 3
Controversial, but only because of how invested so many were in this series. It may have its flaws in regards to the overal plotline, but it's the quiet, moving and funny character moments on the Normandy that will in time define this game. By the time it all ends, you will be deeply invested.

2. Skyrim
The best world ever created in a game. Begging to be explored in an almost obnoxious way. This is less a game than it is a playset. It gives you all the tools to have a great experience and lets you go find them yourself. Respects the player. Respects their desire to be let free and do what they wish. The sense of wonder that I felt when I first set foot out into the world after the short introduction is something I'll never forget. A whole world fully alive and realized. Living and breathing just for me.

1. Mass Effect 2
By the end of Mass Effect 2 I knew I was playing something special. I felt so heavily invested into the plight of Shepard and his crew that I was unsure I wanted it to end. I loved the characters, and the world. From the fiery walls of Omega to the sprawling landscape of Illium - it all felt so rich and pulsing with life.

I've always said that Mass Effect 1 sets up the characters and the events of the trilogy, and Mass Effect 3 puts the universe you now care deeply for in legitimate and unimaginable danger, but Mass Effect 2 makes you care about the universe and the characters. That is its purpose. And it excels. It also has probably the best cliffhanger ending I've seen. Sets up the third game beautifully. I'll never forget roaming the Normandy, talking to the characters who by the end of the game felt not like characters but true friends and allies. I felt like I knew them. And it made me care almost beyond bearing about what happened to them.

Zack Fair
Cant believe I forgot to add Portal 2. Man what an amazing last gen full of great games. Its hard to make a top 10 without feeling bitter about leaving some games out. I still stand by my top 3. Phenomenal games IMO that pushed their franchises and gaming forward.

Astor Ebligis
It was definitely good, but I honestly think the previous gen killed the last one, when it comes to sheer quantity of incredible games. In fact I'd probably rate the PS2 library above the combined libraries of the Wii, 360 and PS3. Not an insult to the last generation, but the PS2 simply had an absurd number of amazing games.

Zack Fair
I don't know about that, but i dont deny ir either. Great gens. I only hope developers stop being scared and fully embrace the next gen. So far there is very little incentive to move on. Im biased though. Having a ps4 and gaming capable pc n'' all

-Pr-
Honestly, if we're just talking consoles, then yeah, you could argue that the previous gen had the better lineup.

If you add pc though, I think this last gen is the superior one, as there are some experiences we never could have gotten on a PS2. Yes, I know it's a thread about consoles...

jinXed by JaNx
Left 4 dead- This game set the standard in online co-op for me.

Red Dead Redemption- Not much to say about this game other than the fact it's the reason why I wasn't blown away by GTA5. That is the standard that RDR set for sandbox games.

Mass effect 2- It may not have been as special to me had I not played the previous title and had a vested interest in the characters but I did and that's apart of what makes the series so special.

Bioshock- Just for the style alone. Such a haunting atmosphere to that game.

Bad Company 2- This game embodies everything right about online war based games. You were essentially given the keys to the military arsenal and told...,"go play war, kids...,drop a helicopter on a tank.". I would have chosen 4 but i'm still waiting for the finished copy

Skyrim-even with all it's problems...,it's Skyrim

Fallout 3- I'm still trying to figure out whether or not this game gave me OCD or just made it worse, either way I now know what it's like to check underneath and inside of everything in a video game. It made me feel like a crack addict...,rifling through trash in hopes of finding some dirty blood or stimpaks.

1 vs 100- just a great community game worth remembering. Never watched the show but the game was aces

Batman Arkham City- It's Batman and it feels like Batman in every way possible.

Transformers WFC/FOC- Just so much fun to play.

PTforthewin
Cod Ghosts, minecraft, gta v gta iv, sleeping dogs, red dead redemption, watch dogs, AC3, AC4,

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by -Pr-
Honestly, if we're just talking consoles, then yeah, you could argue that the previous gen had the better lineup.

If you add pc though, I think this last gen is the superior one, as there are some experiences we never could have gotten on a PS2. Yes, I know it's a thread about consoles...

i think the thing is that pc doesn't really have generations in the same way. Our shit is always awesome anyway and less limited.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.