2014 FIFA World Cup thred

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Less than two weeks away now. Just getting it ready to get ready.

Omega Vision
I have three teams I'm rooting for. USA, Belgium, and Germany.

I expect to be rooting for USA until the end of the group stage or Round of 16, Belgium till the Quarter Finals, and Germany I hope to the very end.

Digi
DlJEt2KU33I

This clip accurately says everything I think about the World Cup. It's a gluttonous event run by a despicable organization. It claims lives and hurts economies.

And I'm super excited for it. Quite a dichotomy, and one I wish I didn't have to wrestle with.

England is my only backup team after the US. Both could advance out of the group stage, so I'm hopeful.

eaebiakuya
Agree.

In Brazil most of the people are against the World Cup being here (myself included). It should happen in countrys who dont have so many problems (like England, Germany, etc).

But still, cant wait for the games. I will do everything i can to watch Spain vs Netherlands...

Here we can go to home earlier from work in the days of Brazil games (in World Cup). I wonder if that happens in other countrys.

-Pr-
yeah, Fifa are *****. The fiasco with Brazil is just, plain horrible. And Qatar? yeah, *****. Cunty *****.

Here's hoping Uefa finally have enough of their shit, and keep calling them on it, because there's no way Uefa will postpone the Champions League because of Fifa.

But so much football... So beautiful. One whole month... Multiple matches a day for a large quantity of it. It's gonna be AWESOME.

Except for the Beckham thing. The English fascination with him is just weird.

Originally posted by eaebiakuya
Agree.

In Brazil most of the people are against the World Cup being here (myself included). It should happen in countrys who dont have so many problems (like England, Germany, etc).

But still, cant wait for the games. I will do everything i can to watch Spain vs Netherlands...

Here we can go to home earlier from work in the days of Brazil games (in World Cup). I wonder if that happens in other countrys.

When Ireland were in the World Cup, our country basically stopped for the two hours during the matches. literally; streets would be empty.

eaebiakuya
About England, i found funny and bizarre see a a military truck (and others army cars), with soldiers with machine guns protect the england bus. I mean...people who see this video will think Brazil is the middle of a civil war or something like that, lol.

I guess then this happen in every country in the world.

Digi
Originally posted by eaebiakuya
About England, i found funny and bizarre see a a military truck (and others army cars), with soldiers with machine guns protect the england bus. I mean...people who see this video will think Brazil is the middle of a civil war or something like that, lol.

I guess then this happen in every country in the world.

Not surprising at all. It's one of the world's biggest events - maybe THE biggest event - and these are foreign players in a country with a lot of civil unrest over the games, and a lot of hatred toward the World Cup. I'd expect that treatment almost anywhere.

Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah, Fifa are *****. The fiasco with Brazil is just, plain horrible. And Qatar? yeah, *****. Cunty *****.

Here's hoping Uefa finally have enough of their shit, and keep calling them on it, because there's no way Uefa will postpone the Champions League because of Fifa.

But so much football... So beautiful. One whole month... Multiple matches a day for a large quantity of it. It's gonna be AWESOME.

Except for the Beckham thing. The English fascination with him is just weird.

When Ireland were in the World Cup, our country basically stopped for the two hours during the matches. literally; streets would be empty.

American Midwest checking in. I'm relatively sure I'm the only person in my city that's aware the World Cup is happening this year. Everyone's too busy rooting against the Heat in basketball and being shocked that hockey is still going on, as they are every June.

TheHulk
I'm rooting for either Brazil or Germany..England too.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
Not surprising at all. It's one of the world's biggest events - maybe THE biggest event - and these are foreign players in a country with a lot of civil unrest over the games, and a lot of hatred toward the World Cup. I'd expect that treatment almost anywhere.

American Midwest checking in. I'm relatively sure I'm the only person in my city that's aware the World Cup is happening this year. Everyone's too busy rooting against the Heat in basketball and being shocked that hockey is still going on, as they are every June.

American defiance towards the most popular sport in the world always amuses me. It almost seems like they're dead set against liking it on principle alone.

At least in Canada, people were more conscious of it. We would even watch the matches at work and such.

My picks are Belgium, Italy (I always pick Italy), and Germany.

Argentina too.

Bentley
France

'nuff said.

Digi
American defiance towards the most popular sport in the world always amuses me. It almost seems like they're dead set against liking it on principle alone.

At least in Canada, people were more conscious of it. We would even watch the matches at work and such.

It's not actually defiance. Defiance suggests a knowledge of it, and a willing rejection of it. People really just couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Of the dozen or so people in my office, I doubt a single one even realizes it starts today. So it's not being against it on principle. It really just never caught on, and for most people - even sports fans - it's either a non-event or it's something they tune out on Sportscenter during their morning routine.

American cities have large soccer contingents. But a lot of it is either college kids in need of something to be into as a group during football's offseason, and/or it's foreign immigrants. Like, the club team I'm into...their hardcore fan base is maybe 30% college kids, 70% Mexicans.

Omega Vision
In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

Bentley
The US is pretty much ph_cked by the group it's facing.

France has easy pickings stick out tongue

Bardock42
Obviously hoping Germany does well. Trying to separate myself some from the patriotism, due to it being stupid, though. Hopefully there'll be many enjoyable games.

Robtard
Originally posted by Omega Vision
In mainstream American media there's an incredible level of ignorance about football/soccer. A lot of Americans assume it's a sport for snobby Europeans, English hooligans, and South American street urchins, not realizing that it's the closest thing that Earth has to an official international sport.

This is already changing, and will change more depending on how well America does internationally and how big the MLS gets. Like anyone else, Americans care about sports they excel at.

The level of interest in America now would already have been unimaginable 10 years ago, so 10 years from now who can say how popular it will be. One thing's certain, we'll never call it 'football.'

Well said.

Mairuzu
Pssst. Brazil... wrong goal bro.

Edit: Like that.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
Well said.
To add to that: as more Latin American immigrants come into America they'll bring with them their zeal for futbol.

Robtard
Here in California, 2010 I saw more WC zeal than ever before. Games being shown in bars and restaurants, people walking about with team logos; it wasn't just brown people either. Saw several little white children with Team USA shirts and shorts.

Omega Vision
Brazil won the game without question, but Croatia were cheated by the ref on two occasions.

I hope shit like that doesn't happen in closer matches like USA-Ghana.

Robtard
Can't stand Ref bias. /statingtheobvious

Omega Vision
Croatia did a bit of flopping too, but nothing to compare to Brazil. Especially that Marcelo chump; guy spent more time on the turf than he spent with the ball.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
It's not actually defiance. Defiance suggests a knowledge of it, and a willing rejection of it. People really just couldn't tell you the first thing about it. Of the dozen or so people in my office, I doubt a single one even realizes it starts today. So it's not being against it on principle. It really just never caught on, and for most people - even sports fans - it's either a non-event or it's something they tune out on Sportscenter during their morning routine.

American cities have large soccer contingents. But a lot of it is either college kids in need of something to be into as a group during football's offseason, and/or it's foreign immigrants. Like, the club team I'm into...their hardcore fan base is maybe 30% college kids, 70% Mexicans.

And here I was just kidding around...

====

Brazil were the better side, but not by a whole lot, imo. They were on the up and up, but that penalty decision REALLy shifted things in their favour.

Brazil won the game without question, but Croatia were cheated by the ref on two occasions.

I'd be surprised if it didn't; they do this shit in every world cup.

Remember Spain and SKorea in 2002?

Omega Vision
2002 was my blindspot WC. I was in France when they won in 98 and when they played Italy in 2006 and 2010 was interesting because it seemed to be America's year. Don't remember where I was in 2002, but for whatever reason it didn't pull me.

2002 was the freak one right? Where Korea and Turkey did better than the likes of France and Argentina?

-Pr-
2002 was my blindspot WC. I was in France when they won in 98 and when they played Italy in 2006 and 2010 was interesting because it seemed to be America's year. Don't remember where I was in 2002, but for whatever reason it didn't pull me.

2002 was the freak one right? Where Korea and Turkey did better than the likes of France and Argentina?

Yup, though France were shit anyway.

Spain had TWO perfectly good goals disallowed, and it was painful to watch.

Expect Brazil to get every decision their way that's possible.

I'd like to say that they should have referees from major leagues and nations instead of ones from smaller countries, but tbh, Fifa will tell them what to do anyway.

Bentley

Sh_t starting already? This is going to be one of those lousy unsporting World Cups?

At least I'll get to troll hardcore fans.

Robtard

Expect Brazil to get every decision their way that's possible.

I'd not be surprised if you're correct, considering Brazil has a lot too prove being host again.

Last time they hosted was 1950 and that is known as one the biggest faceslaps in WC history. The "Maracanazo".

-Pr-
Originally posted by Robtard
I'd not be surprised if you're correct, considering Brazil has a lot too prove being host again.

Last time they hosted was 1950 and that is known as one the biggest faceslaps in WC history. The "Maracanazo".

Yep. Combine that with the civil unrest in the country, and Fifa will do whatever they can to save face.

"Oh, your country is being pretty much raped by us financially? But it's not all bad; we gave you the world cup trophy!"

Omega Vision
FIFA refs are almost always from poor nations and thus disposed to being bribed.

Really though, FIFA is categorically corrupt. The African football heads just claimed that allegations of bribe-taking for Qatar's WC 22 bid are rooted in 'racism.' I guess it's racist to point out the obvious now.

-Pr-
FIFA refs are almost always from poor nations and thus disposed to being bribed.

Really though, FIFA is categorically corrupt. The African football heads just claimed that allegations of bribe-taking for Qatar's WC 22 bid are rooted in 'racism.' I guess it's racist to point out the obvious now.

laughing out loud

Who is it racist against? The predominantly white countries that want to actually host it and have the infrastructure in place already? Such bribing... Yeesh.

==

Spain and Holland tomorrow. Looking forward to the big fight...

Omega Vision
I like the orange jerseys. And I'd like to see Spain taken down a peg.

Kut Spanjaarden....

-Pr-
I like the orange jerseys. And I'd like to see Spain taken down a peg.

Kut Spanjaarden....

laughing out loud

I'll remember that phrase.

Honestly, I don't mind Spain so much, but I do prefer Holland.

Omega Vision
laughing out loud

I'll remember that phrase.

Honestly, I don't mind Spain so much, but I do prefer Holland.
I have nothing against Spain, I'm just sick of hearing how good they are.

Bentley
Spain isn't that good, certainly a contender in this World Cup though. I get what you're saying, when they won in the last world tournament, I did criticize the outcome of many close matches before the finals and got a harsh backlash to that.

eaebiakuya
In 2002 Brazil won by same way against Turkey. Hard game with a fake penalty....

At least, the whole world is talking about this cheat. I guess, maybe after this, they will not try to help Brazil anymore. Even the brasilian (some)press said it was not fair.

Even tough im brasilian im not support Brasil in this WC (and didnt in last two). As someone said here, i think the patriotism talk is bs. For me its more like a "regular" soccer championship than the country itself in the field.

I hope Argentina won...

Digi

I listen to a podcast that jokingly calls soccer "America's Sport of the Future...since 1970." But yeah, there's some evidence that it's gaining steam.

-Pr-
Dat linesman...

-Pr-
And it gets worse....

Bentley
haha, that match is hilarious. Will the referees ever allow them to score a goal?

Bardock42
Questionable penalty. Great header goal. Good game so far.

Mairuzu
https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/856755342.gif?1402688562

Like a pro.

-Pr-
Great goal by rvp. Never a penalty though.

-Pr-
Lmao robben.

Bardock42
Best game so far definitely.

Bardock42
NO ****ING WAY.

WOW...WOW...

Love it!!

-Pr-
Theres being taken down a peg, and theres having the shit kicked out of you. Oh lawd.

Mairuzu
Originally posted by Bardock42
NO ****ING WAY.

WOW...WOW...

Love it!! Racist

Good lawd this is a brutal match.

Bardock42
What a fantastic game.

Omega Vision
Holy shit. My brother and I were playing Halo 4 around half time. When we got back at the 70th minute we found Netherlands up 4-1, and after we'd gotten done watching all the goals and fastforwarded back to real time we found we'd skipped a fifth goal.

This game could have easily been 7-1.

Bardock42
Hope the Halo was worth it!!!???

The game was epic, loved everything about it. Also agree with the 7-1.

The 3rd Holland goal shouldn't have been given, of course. But neither should the penalty, so...

Bardock42
If Chile beats Spain, that'd be insane...

Robtard
Well I missed it cos I'm at work like an ******* and streaming is blocked, but it appears Spain was taken down that proverbial peg.

Omega Vision
My predictions right now:

Brazil and Germany in the final (going for Germany), Netherlands beats Argentina for the third place consolation match.

Final 8 are Germany, Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina, Belgium, France, Italy, and Uruguay.

But honestly if Netherlands plays like that in every game, only Brazil and Germany can hope to beat them.

Omega Vision
If Chile beats Spain, that'd be insane...
With that big of a goal differential, Spain might get sunk just by tying Chile.

Bardock42
With that big of a goal differential, Spain might get sunk just by tying Chile.

Well, we'll see.

Bardock42
Well, we are getting a lovely amount of games ...

Bardock42
That should read goals, not games....normal amount of games.

Mairuzu
Especially in comparison to brazil/croatia

I'm looking forward to eng/ita tomorrow

Edit: I didn't expect that. Nice header for Aus. Their passing has been a bit iffy. I'm starting to enjoy this game the most so far.

-Pr-
Honestly, Australia could have gotten a draw, but them's the breaks, I guess.

That Leke guy looks like a really good player, and I could see him moving to a bigger club if he keeps it up.

Omega Vision
Australia played surprisingly well given how touted Chile was. Only looking at the final score, Chile clearly won, but that doesn't adequately reflect how difficult Australia made it for them.

With four games done, who would have thought that the only real blowout so far was against the defending champion.

-Pr-
Indeed. Holland were on fire tonight.

Poor Van Gaal though; if Holland do at all well in this tournament, the expectations at Man Utd will be even higher once he joins them.

Omega Vision
God, that header...can't get over it.

Spaniards will be seeing that in their nightmares for months to come.

Bentley
But honestly if Netherlands plays like that in every game, only Brazil and Germany can hope to beat them.

You're undermining the powerhouse that is Uruguay.

I don't see Italy leaving the groups alive, personally.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bentley
You're undermining the powerhouse that is Uruguay.

I don't see Italy leaving the groups alive, personally.
You favor England over Italy?

-Pr-
Italy have Balotelli. The man might end up beating England by himself, tbh.

Omega Vision
Smashing defeat for the Greeks. I've been thinking it was strange for them to be in the top 15. Especially after they lost to South Korea, the same South Korea that lost 0-2 and 0-5 to USA and Ghana respectively.

Bentley
You favor England over Italy?

I'm assuming Italy will try to anti-football against Uruguay or England and end up to be ineffective against the other while not scoring enough goals for the tie breakers.

Omega Vision
Lol, you were saying about uruguay?

This is the Game of Thrones of World Cups--anyone can get their head cut off or skull crushed.

Bentley
It was a pretty unexpected turn of events indeed, at least the anarchy of these early group matches are making things fun and unpredictable.

Uruguay had it's chances and played with no Suarez. I stick to my concept of them being able to take on England or Italy, it remains to be seem what happens with Costa Rica now.

-Pr-
I'm assuming Italy will try to anti-football against Uruguay or England and end up to be ineffective against the other while not scoring enough goals for the tie breakers.

Being great at defense is not the same as being anti-football.

==

Great performance by Costa Rica though; a couple of players to really watch in the transfer market now.

Bentley
Being great at defense is not the same as being anti-football.

I think their odds got better now that they won't focus so much at Uruguay. Hope they don't get cocky.

Omega Vision
I really doubt Costa Rica can repeat this performance against the other teams in their group. I won't call it a fluke because that would imply there wasn't skill involved, but in all honesty Costa Rica has had moments of brilliance (beating USA 3-1 in qualifications when the USA was on a 13 game winning streak that included Germany and Bosnia) that just serve to make you forget that on the whole they're a middling team (before that 3-1 victory they'd been beaten the two previous occasions they met the USA, and South Korea which has recently become a doormat for teams like USA and Ghana beat them not too long ago).

-Pr-
I think their odds got better now that they won't focus so much at Uruguay. Hope they don't get cocky.

Hopefully.

I really doubt Costa Rica can repeat this performance against the other teams in their group. I won't call it a fluke because that would imply there wasn't skill involved, but in all honesty Costa Rica has had moments of brilliance (beating USA 3-1 in qualifications when the USA was on a 13 game winning streak that included Germany and Bosnia) that just serve to make you forget that on the whole they're a middling team (before that 3-1 victory they'd been beaten the two previous occasions they met the USA, and South Korea which has recently become a doormat for teams like USA and Ghana beat them not too long ago).

I'd be surprised if CR made it out of the group, tbh. Very surprised, even with England's inconsistency.

Bentley
Costa Rica was disciplined and stubborn, if they can continue that obtuse kind of play they might steal a spot for the next round. They were effective against a defensive Uruguay, so Italy could be a match made in heaven.

Omega Vision
This England-Italy game is shaping up to be very interesting.

-Pr-
Costa Rica was disciplined and stubborn, if they can continue that obtuse kind of play they might steal a spot for the next round. They were effective against a defensive Uruguay, so Italy could be a match made in heaven.

I think they'd have a hard time against this Italy, tbh. England played far better than I'd expected, and Italy weathered them well enough.

Plus, Pirlo.

Omega Vision
Yeah, seeing Italy and England play I'd say there's almost zero chance of Costa Rican lightning striking twice.

(Prepared to eat these words, god forbid)

Both of those teams would have run a train on the sloppy, sluggish Uruguayan team we saw today.

Bentley
I think they'd have a hard time against this Italy, tbh. England played far better than I'd expected, and Italy weathered them well enough.

Plus, Pirlo.

Yeah, actually Italy played a much better game that I originally foresaw, they were at top shape. There is a good chance for England to move forward right now.

Bardock42
Italy have Balotelli. The man might end up beating England by himself, tbh.

Not quite by himself, but the dude is good....

-Pr-
Yeah, seeing Italy and England play I'd say there's almost zero chance of Costa Rican lightning striking twice.

(Prepared to eat these words, god forbid)

Both of those teams would have run a train on the sloppy, sluggish Uruguayan team we saw today.

Agreed.

Yeah, actually Italy played a much better game that I originally foresaw, they were at top shape. There is a good chance for England to move forward right now.

Yeah; I could see Sterling and Barkley causing CR and UR nothing but trouble.

Not quite by himself, but the dude is good....

He's come a long way these last few years, and he took his goal very well last night. If Italy do well in this world cup, I imagine he's going to be play a large part in it.

Robtard

That was daggers in my eyes to watch, especially Muslera standing statue-still and making a stupid face while two goals whizz by him.

On a better note, the SUI Vs EDU game is turning out to be a good match, especially these last 25mins. Lots of action.

-Pr-
Hearts = broken.

Omega Vision
9 matches done, still not a single draw.

Is this really soccer? It doesn't feel like it.

Take a look at the FIFA rankings for Switzerland and Ecuador. Switzerland: 6; Ecuador: 26. The way they played though they both ought to be in the teens.

I still don't understand Switzerland's ranking. What's the best team they've beaten?

Edit: Oh, Brazil...by 1-0.

...And the 1 was an own goal.

Omega Vision
This article talks about how American players' lack of flopping might be a weakness in the World Cup:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/sports/worldcup/for-us-soccer-team-honesty-may-not-be-the-best-policy.html?ref=worldcup

My comment: "They should illegalize flopping/diving and make a "penalty kick" in the case of a particularly egregious case, but instead of taking a shot on goal, the player who was wrongly accused of fouling gets to take a free shot at the flopper's groin. It would stop overnight, guaranteed."

-Pr-
9 matches done, still not a single draw.

Is this really soccer? It doesn't feel like it.

Take a look at the FIFA rankings for Switzerland and Ecuador. Switzerland: 6; Ecuador: 26. The way they played though they both ought to be in the teens.

I still don't understand Switzerland's ranking. What's the best team they've beaten?

Edit: Oh, Brazil...by 1-0.

...And the 1 was an own goal.

Yeah, even the TV panel here in Ireland couldn't believe how Switzerland could be ranked so highly.

This article talks about how American players' lack of flopping might be a weakness in the World Cup:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/16/sports/worldcup/for-us-soccer-team-honesty-may-not-be-the-best-policy.html?ref=worldcup

My comment: "They should illegalize flopping/diving and make a "penalty kick" in the case of a particularly egregious case, but instead of taking a shot on goal, the player who was wrongly accused of fouling gets to take a free shot at the flopper's groin. It would stop overnight, guaranteed."

I love how the USA manager is Klinsmann, one of the biggest divers to ever play the game.

TBH, America has players who dive, so I'm not really seeing how they're any different from some of the other teams that do it. Sure, some teams like Portugal will do it more, but if you're a good enough team, 9 times out of 10, that's enough to get you a win.

========

France seemed to have it easier and easier as time went on. I expect Honduras to not get very far in the cup.

Omega Vision
Honduras was an object lesson in flopping that ended up backfiring.

-Pr-
Yep.

-Pr-
So Gago came on in the second half and began doing the job Cambiasso used to. Argentina woke up, but they still have issues, imo.

Omega Vision
This is an incredible WC so far.

Teams that were shoe-ins for the semis and final a week ago are now in doubt, teams that everyone assumed would be pushovers are pushing back.

I'm hoping America surprises everyone and wins their group. I guess we'll find out tomorrow if that's possible.

Bentley
Argentina: not on top of things... Yet.

I agree that the World Cup is going strong right now, I kind of expecting it to fall apart after the groups or something.

Squirtle
Not sure if Germany was great or Portugal sucked, ****ing Pepe! sick

Bardock42
Well, I'm happy.

-Pr-
Germany ran the show, and Portugal, poor man's Spain that they are now, couldn't handle it. I expect Portugal to finish second in the group, but interesting to see what happens in the second round.

Omega Vision
This is a great result for America for two reasons: 1) Portugal will be playing without one of their top defenders in the game against Team USA 2) because of their 4 goal deficit, Portugal might actually finish the group stage with negative or neutral goal differential if they don't ball out in the next two games. Assuming America defeats Ghana it only needs to draw against Portugal and do better against Germany than Portugal did (I.E. don't lose by 4 goals, which is more than doable) to have a shot of edging out Portugal.

I think USA can beat this Portugal. Portugal has been overrated for a while now. We had a shot before they lost Pepe and took a demoralizing blow with this game, but now I think we have a good chance.

Another thing to note: Germany for most of the game was playing without some of their best players like Podolski, Klose, and Schwansteiger.

-Pr-
My gut says portugal will beat usa, but ill see how usa look tonight.

Bardock42
This is a great result for America for two reasons: 1) Portugal will be playing without one of their top defenders in the game against Team USA 2) because of their 4 goal deficit, Portugal might actually finish the group stage with negative or neutral goal differential if they don't ball out in the next two games. Assuming America defeats Ghana it only needs to draw against Portugal and do better against Germany than Portugal did (I.E. don't lose by 4 goals, which is more than doable) to have a shot of edging out Portugal.

I think USA can beat this Portugal. Portugal has been overrated for a while now. We had a shot before they lost Pepe and took a demoralizing blow with this game, but now I think we have a good chance.

Another thing to note: Germany for most of the game was playing without some of their best players like Podolski, Klose, and Schwansteiger.

Schweinsteiger was surprising, he may still be recovering though. I think Podolski and Klose, while both great, are not starting 11 players anymore.

Bardock42
"This means Pepe will be suspended against the U.S., which is unfortunate for us, because he almost certainly would've gotten a red card."

LOL

Omega Vision
Guy on the New York Times comments claimed that USA was "incomparably the weakest side" in Group G.

Makes it sound as if Ghana beat USA 6-0 last time they played.

Omega Vision
GOOOOAAAALLLLLL USA First Minute

Robtard
America, **** yeah!

Robtard
WTF, how is a jumping scissor-kick to the face not even a yellow card.

And now a blantant trip/push

Omega Vision
Well, we won, but it's not looking great for the USA's performance as a team. Our defense was pretty spotty, and without Altidore we were lacking a powerful offense and had to be opportunists.

Still, a win is a win. Now the Portugal game will make or break us.

-Pr-
Agreed. Not sure about Portgual though, after that match. They may have real trouble with both teams.

Omega Vision
Agreed. Not sure about Portgual though, after that match. They may have real trouble with both teams.
You were impressed with Ghana and USA?

Funny, I actually thought both teams were playing sloppily. But then so was Portugal... The bottom line of today is that Germany is going to I'm the Juggernaut, ***** its way to the Round of 16.

What the Hell was with all the injuries?

Also, thank God for Tim Howard. With a lesser goalie this would have been Ghana 3-1 or 4-2 for sure.

Bardock42
Was a very enjoyable game imo. Ghana played better. I'm happy the US won though. Don't think either will beat Germany. Hoping that the US can draw with Portugal though, though also a stretch, they didn't show amazing quality.

-Pr-
You were impressed with Ghana and USA?

Funny, I actually thought both teams were playing sloppily. But then so was Portugal... The bottom line of today is that Germany is going to I'm the Juggernaut, ***** its way to the Round of 16.

What the Hell was with all the injuries?

Also, thank God for Tim Howard. With a lesser goalie this would have been Ghana 3-1 or 4-2 for sure.

Germany will coast through. I thougth Ghana and USA did show frailty, but were good enough going forward that I thought both can really hurt Portugal when the time comes.

Omega Vision
Group G is much more competitive than some were suggesting. Germany is a shoein, but people who assumed Portugal would walk over the competition are probably second guessing themselves now. Portugal is in real danger of not advancing with that horrible goal deficit.

Omega Vision
This is the result for group G I hope to see:

Germany: 3 W, 0 L, 0 D; 9 pts
USA: 1 W, 1 L, 1 D; 4 pts
-----
Portugal: 0 W, 1 L, 2 D, 2 pts
Ghana: 0 W, 2 L, 1 D, 1 pts

-Pr-
Group G is much more competitive than some were suggesting. Germany is a shoein, but people who assumed Portugal would walk over the competition are probably second guessing themselves now. Portugal is in real danger of not advancing with that horrible goal deficit.

Aye.

Somehow, even though I had rated Portugal before, I feel vindicated because of my dislike of Ronaldo.

Squirtle
I'd like that Argentina could play with USA in the last sixteen, there's something about their team I like.

Omega Vision
Go, Belgium!

Omega Vision
Dear God, Belgium. facepalm

Robtard
Last 2 mins of injury-time going; Belgians appear to have turned it around.

Omega Vision
Belgians did much better in the second half, but they're in trouble if they play this way against Russia.

Don't know why the Algerians look so disappointed--they should consider themselves lucky they did this well.

Commentator said it best: "a victory that will taste as sweet as Belgian chocolate." Right, and Belgian chocolate is often bitter-sweet.

Digi
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/we-went-there-u-s-somehow-beats-ghana-in-natal/

That's an accurate summation of the takeaways from the US game.

The good news is, the US is likely just a draw against Portugal and a non-horrific loss against Germany away from making the knockout round. The other good news is that it was Bradley's worst performance in years. If he eats a Snickers pre-game, we're a different team.

Omega Vision
WTF, Brazil?

Omega Vision
WTF, Brazil?

Bardock42
I am sooooo happy

Omega Vision
Happy because Brazil looks weaker now?

Because they're basically assured qualification even after today.

I will say this: when you weigh this game against the Germany-Portugal game, Germany looks like it would eat Brazil's lunch.

Bardock42
Sure, and because they shouldn't really have won the first game either, and because Mexico, in particular the keeper deserved it, they stood up well to them.

-Pr-
Yeah, that Brazil match was ****ing dour. They won't win this tournament unless FIFA is willing to knee-cap the other teams.

Omega Vision
Very poor showings for South America so far.

It would be awesome if this was the year for North American ascendancy.

Robtard
That Korean goal-kick just now went up and over the goal by at least 30 feet.

Omega Vision
A draw? Interesting.

Algeria's probably happy because both Russia and Korea are now in reach. Belgium is probably also happy because it's much less likely that Russia can steal the group's top spot from them. Korea is happy(ish) because it was probably expecting a trouncing. Now if they beat Algeria and draw Belgium they have a shot of advancing.

Only Russia is sad.

-Pr-
That match was meh until the last twenty minutes. Business really picked up at that point, imo.

Bentley
Belgians did much better in the second half, but they're in trouble if they play this way against Russia.

Don't know why the Algerians look so disappointed--they should consider themselves lucky they did this well.

Commentator said it best: "a victory that will taste as sweet as Belgian chocolate." Right, and Belgian chocolate is often bitter-sweet.

You know, many players from the 98 France football team were from algerian ascendence, so they feel they deserve better football overall.

-Pr-
You know, many players from the 98 France football team were from algerian ascendence, so they feel they deserve better football overall.

It doesn't help that France poached most of them, and still does.

Bardock42
It helps France..

Bardock42
What a wonderful game.

This World Cup is AMAZING

Omega Vision
For their reputation as a nation of manly men, Australia was acting like a bunch of floppy bitches in this game.

Couldn't believe the Van Persie card.

I'm glad that the Netherlands won, but I'd have preferred a victory by 2.

Omega Vision
What a wonderful game.

This World Cup is AMAZING
Looking at the FIFA statistics so far, there have been an average of 2.9 goals per game and an average of 3 yellow cards per game. Pretty good.

2.9 goals per game...when 2 of the 18 games so far have been 0-0 draws. If you ignored those two outliers, the average would probably be closer to 4 goals a game.

Bardock42
What a lovely, lovely World Cup.

Omega Vision
Lol, Spain.

Omega Vision
The way the teams have been playing, Australia might draw against Spain.

Omega Vision
I actually feel bad for Spain now.

Not too bad, mind you.

-Pr-
I thought that the Australians did very well at the start of the match, but as time went on, and the Dutch woke up, we did see the gap in class present itself more. That said, Holland really didn't deserve the win.

Spain, Spain... Spain.

Going home early, and tbh, they deserve to be. Horrific performances from players that should know far better.

Xabi Alonso, who has always been a favourite of mine, Xavi himself, and the often-vaunted Diego Costa were all poor. They didn't bring Negredo or Navas, which were mistakes.

Then there's Casillas. If there's one player that deserves most of the stick, it's him. He was at fault for several of the goals they conceded in both games, even more than the other players in the team. What Maradona said about him is true, and I hope he learns a big lesson after today.

Bardock42
What did Maradona say about him?

Omega Vision
How can you say that Holland didn't deserve the win?

-Pr-
What did Maradona say about him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2658060/Diego-Maradona-slams-Spains-Iker-Casillas-says-Jose-Mourinho-right-drop-goalkeeper.html

How can you say that Holland didn't deserve the win?

On reflection, it's more me thinking that Australia deserved something from that game, than me saying Holland were shit. Though they weren't exactly on fire in that first half, and they were outmuscled pretty successfully for a time, I thought.

Omega Vision
Australia played well, sure, but their second goal was basically a gift from heaven (I don't think an accidental handball should be grounds for a penalty kick--sorry, it's just not comparable to a malicious foul or an intentional handball), so but for the placement of that one guy's hand we could have seen a 3-1 victory for Netherlands.

I am going for the Aussies against Spain though. Complete the humbling.

-Pr-
Oh, I don't think it was a penalty either. I just thought Australia played a lot better than I had expected them to.

lol aye, send Spain packing.

Bentley
Uruguay with Suarez is an entirely different beast it seems. They accomplished the comeback that many fans wanted from Spain. But man, Im disappointed to see England go so early, they played a solid second half, they only lacked a better score braker and theyd have won.

England vs defense.

Insane Titan
As a England fan il admit we deserved nothing and never really do. We play bland slow football on average.

Omega Vision
So far the teams I most enjoy watching are Germany, Netherlands, Chile, and USA.

Bardock42
Uruguay with Suarez is an entirely different beast it seems. They accomplished the comeback that many fans wanted from Spain. But man, Im disappointed to see England go so early, they played a solid second half, they only lacked a better score braker and theyd have won.

England vs defense.

They are not gone yet.

-Pr-
They are not gone yet.

True, but it's not looking likely.

That said, I don't think they deserve to go through. Uruguay were better, and they wanted it more.

England have a weak defence, with no real, classic, tough defenders at the back. I despise John Terry as a human being, but they missed him dearly in this competition.

Henderson was shit.

Gerrard is a shadow of his former self. Wellbeck shouldn't have been playing. Sturridge... Is all right. Rooney was their best player, and Sterling showed flashes of intent at times. Hunger, even.

Lallana and Barkley were brought on far too late. Wilshere and Lampard didn't even get a chance.

Hodgson won't last, I feel.

Bardock42
I don't see that Uruguay was much better than England at all. England sucks at finishing. But whatever. The thing that sours me on this Uruguay win is that they should have gotten at least one, but probably two red cards. And surely that would have changed the outcome a bit.

Omega Vision
Spanish ref favored Spanish speakers.

On a related note, I think it's problematic that they have refs from countries that are competing in the world cup. Even if you aren't officiating in your own country's game, there are ways refs can use arbitrary calls to favor their countrymen further down the line. For instance if an arbitrary call helps give a weaker team the victory over a team that might prove trouble for yours in the Round of 16 or beyond.

Imagine if a Belgian ref gave a fallacious red card to a key Portuguese player because he thinks that the USA would be easier pickings for Belgium in the Round of 16. I wonder if they account for this at all.

-Pr-
I don't see that Uruguay was much better than England at all. England sucks at finishing. But whatever. The thing that sours me on this Uruguay win is that they should have gotten at least one, but probably two red cards. And surely that would have changed the outcome a bit.

I said they were better, not much better. England, with a better lineup, could have beaten this Uruguay team, but that's not what happened, and they only have themselves to blame. They had more possession, and yet they squandered it.

Red cards for what?

Spanish ref favored Spanish speakers.

On a related note, I think it's problematic that they have refs from countries that are competing in the world cup. Even if you aren't officiating in your own country's game, there are ways refs can use arbitrary calls to favor their countrymen further down the line. For instance if an arbitrary call helps give a weaker team the victory over a team that might prove trouble for yours in the Round of 16 or beyond.

Imagine if a Belgian ref gave a fallacious red card to a key Portuguese player because he thinks that the USA would be easier pickings for Belgium in the Round of 16. I wonder if they account for this at all.

It is something to worry about, and I would hope they account for such things.

What's the alternative though? Bringing in referees from countries that aren't in the world cup? that kind of inexperience can cause its own kind of trouble.

Robtard

You and your silly bias.

ENG power-slide into URU's GK with cleats out. ENG knee-striked a URU to the temple which would get you penalized in an MMA match and Rooney in his rage blatantly elbowed a URU and knocked him on his ass. Yet those seem alight to you, despite no cards given to ENG at all.

Omega Vision
I still don't understand how that Ghanese player didn't even get a non-card penalty for the kick to Dempsey's face. It was totally unnecessary and he didn't even end up kicking the ball--he headed it.
I said they were better, not much better. England, with a better lineup, could have beaten this Uruguay team, but that's not what happened, and they only have themselves to blame. They had more possession, and yet they squandered it.

Red cards for what?

It is something to worry about, and I would hope they account for such things.

What's the alternative though? Bringing in referees from countries that aren't in the world cup? that kind of inexperience can cause its own kind of trouble.
Idk, seems like a lot of the refs they bring in are pretty inexperienced, or at least have poor judgment.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>