Is there a Summer Movie Season Anymore?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Flyattractor
I just looked thru a list of movies for the entire summer and it was kind of a sad looking June and July. Is the Summer Season now April and May? There is practically nothing in june except for Bayformers for the 4th Weekend, and Turtles, GOTG and POTA isn't due out till mid August and lets face it. August doesn't get the movies the studios have any real faith in.
Is this the new trend? Cram it all in early and skip the summer?

Tzeentch
Honestly, I feel like, was there ever really a summer season for blockbusters? I've always felt like there were only a small handful of "big budget" films that come out in the summer.

Kazenji
This kinda thing doesn't exist where i'm from.

siriuswriter
Erm yes. I believe that Malificent was one of the first.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Erm yes. I believe that Malificent was one of the first. Read the opening. That came out in MAY! That is technically still Spring. I am talking about the actual SUMMER months. June, July, August. There is hardly any BIG movies out at least in the first 2 months.

Robtard
HYG: http://www.fandango.com/movies/summer

You're welcome

Lestov16
May films are usually considered part of the summer film season. And Godzilla and X Men both qualify as blockbusters IMO.

kronan06
No doubt May is considered the summer movie season. And the trend is that it is first weekend in May, not Memorial Day weekend. I do think April is creeping in there, though.

Soon enough Groundhog's Day will be the kickoff to the summer season and all the good movies will be done by June. If that means another Groundhog's Day movie, I'd be fine with that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.