Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
PWyhQUm42Vk

Cant wait! The last one was great.

-Pr-
Not bad.

Zack Fair
Looking forward to this game. Last one was an amazing game.

BlackZero30x
Excited!

Kazenji
Better be exploring some actual tombs in this one rather then have them as a side quest like the last one.

P-Geyser
In the words of Daniel Bryan, YES YES YES YES!

Estacado
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Looking forward to this game. Last one was an amazing game.
thumb up

Kazenji
Microsoft announced today that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox One exclusive

http://www.superherohype.com/news/312439-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-revealed-as-xbox-one-exclusive#/slide/1

FinalAnswer
Just like Ryse and Dead Rising 3

Kazenji
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
Just like Ryse and Dead Rising 3

Except those two aren't now, Both coming to PC.

FinalAnswer
Yes, exactly

Smasandian
I always understood exclusives as console only.

Kazenji
But this is Microsoft were talking about here

remember they pulled the same shit with Splinter Cell back in the day & before you know its on the other consoles and also PC.

Smasandian
Everybody pulls this shit.

Also, isn't it a good thing that game that is an exclusive get released on other platforms?

Again, I always took "exclusive" as console specific. If it get's released on PC, it still means that exclusive to Xbox One. It has been like that for years.

As well, all companies eventually release "exclusive" games later on in the cycle (unless it's owned by Sony/MS).

Zack Fair
You're living in the past bro. I was like you, always believed exclusives meant only on those consoles; but that ain't the case anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if a few months down the road they reveal it is a "timed" exclusive. If memory serves me right Mass Effect was also an Xbox exclusive.

To be quite honest with you all I am salty over these news and I think it is very odd and in bad taste to make it exclusive to Xbone when the previous game that resurrected the franchise did extremely good and was released on everything.

Sigh.

Oh well.

Ridley_Prime
thumb up to the above post.

Zack Fair
So apparently the game will be exclusive to Xbone for holiday 2015.

http://kotaku.com/people-are-pissed-that-tomb-raider-is-an-xbox-exclusive-1620094498

Nemesis X
Funny how I just got the Definitive Edition for Tomb Raider on PS4 and now see this announcement a couple weeks later. I'm sure it's a timed exclusive but by some unholy miracle it stays on Xbox, Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics will have pointed a shotgun at their own genitals.

Smasandian
I'm not sure Sony fanboys are pissed that it's on Xbox One....it was on PS4, they would praising Sony for getting it...

While I understand the frustration but it's a problem of the industry and not specifically about the console that got it.

Zack Fair
Fanboys will do that no matter what.

But the rest of us are a bit mad because its just kind of bad taste when companies do that. If it was a new IP and shit I doubt many would have given this much care, but it is a sequel to a popular franchise which made a comeback in every console available. People will riot. Same shit happened with Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo, only TR is much more popular and came out for more stuff.

Granted Fanboys are raging too much lol. Doubt all of them played the reboot and are just pissed MS has an exclusive. They should be focusing on Bloodborne, Order 1886 and Rime footage that came out. Also the share firmware update. Sony had a lot to show.

Dumb fanboys man.

Smasandian
I would agree. It is annoying if you were a fan of the series and now you can't play it on the console of your preference. I definitely agree with that.

I'm expecting it to be a timed console exclusive unless we find out that MS ponied up money to produce the game.

It's a problem with the industry. All those fanboys fueling the console wars is the direct result of companies doing this. I want both Sony and MS to thrive and have equal footing so gamers get the best deal. If MS leaves the industry, we are ****ed as a whole.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Smasandian
I would agree. It is annoying if you were a fan of the series and now you can't play it on the console of your preference. I definitely agree with that.

I'm expecting it to be a timed console exclusive unless we find out that MS ponied up money to produce the game.

It's a problem with the industry. All those fanboys fueling the console wars is the direct result of companies doing this. I want both Sony and MS to thrive and have equal footing so gamers get the best deal. If MS leaves the industry, we are ****ed as a whole. thumb up

Smasandian
Been confirmed it's a timed based exclusive.

Zack Fair
People were raging so hard man. It was fkn ridiculous.

Smasandian
It was. It was dumb. My problem was that the same peeps would start blowing Sony if they made the same move.

Oh well. It's only timed exclusive and both MS and Sony have them.

Nemesis X
Most of the complaints I've read demanded it to be multiplatform again at least. Glad to know I'm not the only one who believes if a third party game business is going to entertain both parties, they should and not favor a side that would alienate a portion of their fanbase.

Zack Fair
It was. It was dumb. My problem was that the same peeps would start blowing Sony if they made the same move.

Oh well. It's only timed exclusive and both MS and Sony have them. Yeah. You got the idiots like that. Its kind of like how people demand companies have exclusives, but then get prissy angry when stuff like this happens.

Its such a hypocrite stance.

I want my console exclusives to come from first party develops such as 343(MS), Naughty Dog(Sony) and Nintendo. Third party developers have no real business/profit from staying exclusive.

I'm so happy that developers are realizing this. Only now we learned that PC is in fact getting MGS5! That is so awesome man.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Most of the complaints I've read demanded it to be multiplatform again at least. Glad to know I'm not the only one who believes if a third party game business is going to entertain both parties, they should and not favor a side that would alienate a portion of their fanbase.

It has nothing to do with that. They just got pissed because they want to play it and they didn't have an Xbox One. If this was exclusive for the PS4, then there wouldn't be any anger.

Kazenji
Its most likely only an exclusive for a few months anyway, Do hope thats the case.

Smasandian
Probably be Fall 2016.

Nemesis X
I would advise against using headphones.

X-U2g99Y8_Y

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/15/e3-2015-first-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-gameplay-footage-revealed

We've got gameplay

Tzeentch
It wasn't gameplay, it was an interactive cutscene. Graphics look pretty though I guess.

Smasandian
It looks like it's going to involve some tomb raiding....

It's funny that Microsoft has an Uncharted game coming out this fall while Sony does not....

Estacado
Makes me sad that I dont own an Xbone.sad

Zack Fair
It looks like it's going to involve some tomb raiding....

It's funny that Microsoft has an Uncharted game coming out this fall while Sony does not.... uncharted looked awesome tho.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Estacado
Makes me sad that I dont own an Xbone.sad
It's only timed exclusive though right? If not, I'll feel dirty having to get it when I do eventually get a One.

Kazenji
Yeah its a time exclusive it was at Microsoft's Gamescom 2014 which that said that.

Quincy
Looking forward to the PS4 release. Really really enjoyed the first one

Estacado
Nice!
Loved the previous game!
Cant wait to play this!

P-Geyser

Oh well. It's only timed exclusive and both MS and Sony have them.

I agree. Now it seems XBOX ONE users are going to have to suffer with Streetfighter 5. I have noticed as well when TR was announced on XB1, so many Sony fans went apesh!t. I don't see that much rage on SF5 being exclusive only to PS4.

Estacado
Lookin sexay!
GZ19JCTOGfI

Smasandian
That does look very good.

I'm hoping there is a element of creepiness and mystery that the last one had.

Demonic Phoenix
a5V13EqUqO8

xiYy2XNVc2s

RjYsPDvl-2I

Gameplay looks like an improvement over the reboot. There's quick crafting, multi-kills, better stealth gameplay, and so on.

Also, is it just me, or does Lara's face look...odd? (dirt/mud notwithstanding)

Smasandian
I wonder if this will outdo Uncharted 4 because it does look better....

Granted we only seen the E3 demo for Uncharted but openish style gameplay of Tomb Raider might play better than Uncharted 4.

Arachnid1

Granted we only seen the E3 demo for Uncharted but openish style gameplay of Tomb Raider might play better than Uncharted 4. I agree. So far, it's looking better,

Plus, the original Tomb Raider reboot was loads better than Uncharted 3 IMO.

Demonic Phoenix

Granted we only seen the E3 demo for Uncharted but openish style gameplay of Tomb Raider might play better than Uncharted 4.

Outdo in what sense? Critically, commercially, story-wise, overall gameplay wise, being better in the areas that they are similar, etc.?

Smasandian
Critically and maybe commercially.

Arachnid1
Critically and maybe commercially. I thought it killed it gameplay wise and edged out a bit story wise too (none are great here, but TR is slightly better). Gameplay wise, Uncharted has little to no replayability. It's a linear experience that blows your mind with awesome set pieces. Thats pretty similar to CoD story modes, except they edge out in story whereas Uncharted beats them in gameplay due to how fun the 3rd person experience is. At least Tomb Raider was more open and had a sense of freedom about it.

Uncharted only really beats TR in characters (outside of Lara herself of course). TR had some unbelievably bland side characters. It's like they didn't even try here and focused 110% on Lara.

Smasandian
I agree.

I can still play Uncharted games because the combat and setting are very good and after a few years, it's nice to relive the stories but they do lose a lot of what made the first experience so amazing.

The initial experience from Uncharted 2 out does all of the remake of Tomb Raider. One of those times where I couldn't stop playing (and I could because I didn't have kids then) and I don't really remember what I did that day aside from playing Uncharted 2.

Maybe Rise of the Tomb Raider will be that. It certainly looks very promising. Originally, I wasn't going to pick it up at launch but I do't know.....Too many good games!

Zack Fair
looks great. i might get. (probably will)

Smasandian
The only problem is that it comes the same day as Fallout 4......

In theory, I could play both (I might considering I'm thinking of taking the week off) but both game will be pretty extensive games and they might blend in with each other.

Demonic Phoenix
Critically and maybe commercially.

IMO, both are up in the air. Fallout 4 comes out on the same day as Tomb Raider, so I'd think that sales will not be as high as they could be.

Critically, I am also unsure.
If I were forced to bet, I'd pick Uncharted 4, if only because it's Naughty Dog.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
I thought it killed it gameplay wise and edged out a bit story wise too (none are great here, but TR is slightly better). Gameplay wise, Uncharted has little to no replayability. It's a linear experience that blows your mind with awesome set pieces. Thats pretty similar to CoD story modes, except they edge out in story whereas Uncharted beats them in gameplay due to how fun the 3rd person experience is. At least Tomb Raider was more open and had a sense of freedom about it.

Uncharted only really beats TR in characters (outside of Lara herself of course). TR had some unbelievably bland side characters. It's like they didn't even try here and focused 110% on Lara.

Agreed on gameplay, Tomb Raider blows Uncharted out of the water in shooting and platforming mechanics.
Disagreed on story, but to each their own.

For most of the game, Lara's on her own and left to her own thoughts on an hostile island, so it's kinda understandable that other characters get very little development.

Uncharted had better bonus content and featurettes, and Uncharted's replay value mostly comes from the multiplayer and bonus content (skins, gameplay modifiers, difficulties, etc.), where IMO, it outshines Tomb Raider.
Also, you have the option to replay chapters.

Estacado
Looks so good too bad I have a ps4..ermm

Smasandian
I think the release date for PS4 is next winter....

If not, PC is in the spring I think as well.

Estacado
Yeah I know.
Still it would have been cool to play.this since we wont get too many games this fall.

Smasandian
You mean exclusives? Your not getting any (I don't believe?)

But others are coming out so it's not that bad.

Estacado
Was meant to say for next gen not just ps4

October-December wont have too much for us.

Outside of Fallout 4 and Just cause 3 cant care about AC and Cod anymore maybe Hitman if it will have offline.

Edit forgot about Battlefront.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_video_gaming

Smasandian
And MGS5 (even though it's being released on old consoles)
Forza 6
Halo 5
Rainbow 6 Siege
Just Cause 3
Fallout 4
AC: Syndicate
Rock Band 4
Guitar Hero
Soma (the guys who made Amnesia)
Super Mario Maker
Mad Max
Rise of the Tomb Raider.
Hitman
Battlefront
Act of Aggression (created by the guys who did the Wargame series, excellent RTS)
Black Ops 3
Need for Speed
Xcom 2

And not including the requisite sport titles. Only two of them will be PC only

That's 19 games for 16 weeks. Most are fairly extensive games. That's a **** load of awesome games coming out. Not sure what you are complaining about. Doesn't anybody remember how 5-10 years ago we would be lucky to get a quarter that amount?

Smasandian
Bought, played, completed and also 100% the thing.

It's a very, very good game. The setting is interesting. I liked the location of being in snow and being around old Soviet installations. The graphics are fairly impressive as well, including fantastic lighting effects.

But I really enjoyed how the story plays out. Even though you are visiting various areas over and over, the developers change it up in meaningful ways. It plays much like the of the last one but that's not a bad thing. I like how it scripts events and gives areas to explore but with a Metriod like vibe. The collectibles are fun to get because the areas you go through are large but not too large. They are all complex so it's interesting to climb various structures and reach places you thought you couldn't get too. I'm a bit sad that some of that wierdness from the reboot doesn't come through.

The combat is great. You have plenty of options to sneak around and the abilities can be entertaining as well (creating on the go exlosives, setting traps using soldiers you killed and etc..). The combat does feel like there is a weight to it. It feels solid. When you headshot somebody, you get an immediate clue that you did. It feels good.

And raiding tombs is a lot of fun. There is about 9 of them and most puzzles are interesting to figure out. It's not too hard but still quite enjoyable.

Overall, it's a pretty fantastic game. I hope people play it because I'm interesting what they do next.

-Pr-
So apparently, January 29th is when we get this on PC. I'd heard they were going to bring it out sooner than expected, but this is REAL soon.

Kazenji
As long as its not ridden with bugs.

Smasandian
Probably not. The other Tomb Raider was pretty good on the PC. My assumption is that the version was pretty much ported over and the Xbox One didn't sell as well as people hoped so to appease Square Enix, MS allowed the PC version to come out sooner.

-Pr-
It's the same company overseeing the port too (like they did with the first game), so at the very least it should be stable.

Arachnid1
I replayed the Definitive Edition of the first one in preparation for this game. I'm starting it as soon as my season pass content downloads. My first playthrough will be on Endurance Mode I think.

I'm going to play Uncharted 4 after, so we'll see how they stack up to eachother.

Smasandian
Both a different but I enjoyed Rise of the Tomb Raider better. I enjoyed the combat, stealth and gameplay mechanics more than Uncharted 4. And the story is just as interesting and exciting as Uncharted 4.

Overall, both are fantastic games and you can't go wrong with either but Tomb Raider is the better game.

NineCoronas
Rise of the Tomb Raider blew me away, completely rising above the expectations I had after Tomb Raider 2013. Wish they didn't try to compete with F4 though.

Kazenji
October 11 for use PS4 users

-This version of the game will feature "a completely new story chapter entitled Blood Ties."

-it will have new co-op Endurance gameplay, PlayStation VR support for the new Blood Ties chapter, all previously released DLC, extra outfits, weapons, and Expedition Cards. A limited edition art book will also be included.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-ps4-release-date-confirmed/1100-6441935/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

Kazenji
So the game is out now for the PS4

i grab a copy myself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.