Avengers: Age of Ultron vs Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2
Avengers 2 has a release date of May 2015 whilst Batman v Superman has a release date of May 2016 which'll be year later obviously. So my question is, which movie do you think will do better? I know Batman v Superman isn't the JLA movie...but it kinda is. I know we're still quite a while a way from both movies but there's no harm in getting the ball rolling a little early and this thread was bound to pop up at some point.

riv6672
I think Avengers will do better.
Might be close, though. Avengers is the one i'm looking forward to most, personally.

Firefly218
Quality-Wise Avengers 2 should be better. Whedon said part one wasn't anything spectacular and plans to do a much better job on the second. If whedon considers The Avengers unspectacular, I can't imagine how ****ing amazing part two is gonna be. Also, Bats v Supes doesn't inspire much confidence.

Box Office wise idk. Everyone will have to watch Batman vs Superman, while the Avengers hype would have died down. Avengers box office should have longer legs if it's better quality though, and I think it will be.

ares834
Avengers 2 will definitely make more moolah WW.

The real question of which will make more is SW7 vs A: AoU.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834

The real question of which will make more is SW7 vs A: AoU.

Oh, Avengers will make way more than Star Wars. After those shitty prequels, Star Wars hype is at a low

Lestov16
Not to mention the retconning of the EU

ares834
Only the smallest fraction of fans cared about the EU. Plus they are die hards and are pretty much guaranteed to see the new films anyway.

Originally posted by Firefly218
Oh, Avengers will make way more than Star Wars. After those shitty prequels, Star Wars hype is at a low

You are seriously underestimating the power of nostalgia and the OT cast returning. These movies aren't sequels to the PT but are direct sequels to the OT. They will pull in a ton of money.

-Pr-
Avengers will most likely make more money.

I just hope that SvB is good, and makes enough money to make them commit to more movies.

quanchi112

The real question of which will make more is SW7 vs A: AoU. Funniest part is Disney owns both Star Wars and Avengers so they will be laughing their asses off to the bank.

Impediment
Avengers by a light year.

BruceSkywalker
Age of Ultron will be leagues better..

playa1258
Avengers has the advantage right now.

zeel
SvsB has potential I hope the do not **** it up.

Time Immemorial
I'm glad I live in a world where I can see both and be happy about life.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Lestov16
Not to mention the retconning of the EU

I understand that they said its no longer cannon but the way I look at it is that its just a separate...and better universe lol

I think Avengers will make a lot more then Dawn of Justice. Granted im sure there will be a good bit of people that see both but unless Dawn of Justice is spectacular and merits everyone going to see it more then once it wont even be close imo.

DARTH POWER

Star Wars hype is NOT at an all time low. What planet ate you living on where no one gives a crap about the announcement of Episode VII? The real Question is if JJ Abrams has what it takes to make a movie that should easily make A Billion Plus World Wide.

riv6672
Originally posted by Impediment
And a Kessel run!

Firefly218
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Star Wars hype is NOT at an all time low. What planet ate you living on where no one gives a crap about the announcement of Episode VII? The real Question is if JJ Abrams has what it takes to make a movie that should easily make A Billion Plus World Wide.

I never said Star Wars hype is at an all time low . I said Star Wars hype is at a low - which just means that it's relatively weak. Still massive, but not at its epitome, or not teaching its potential. Lots of people were put off by the horrid prequels. Learn to read bro. Those stress wrinkles must be distorting your vision.

DARTH POWER
I never said Star Wars hype is at an all time low . I said Star Wars hype is at a low - which just means that it's relatively weak. Still massive, but not at its epitome, or not teaching its potential.

I don't care if you're claiming it's at an all time low, or just very low.

You never implied at all that it was still massive. Don't try and make out you were saying something completely different now that you're being called out on what you said.

Lots of people were put off by the horrid prequels.

Strange because I don't remember the first 2 "horrid prequels" stopping Revenge of the Sith earning money, but suddenly the new film following what's generally considered the best of the prequels, and a film which is bringing back the OT Cast, has suddenly got really low hype due to the Prequels? Sure.

But I'm not surprised since it is quite a rare occurrence for you to actually make sense.

Learn to read bro. Those stress wrinkles must be distorting your vision.

Learn to think about what you're writing before you write it. Oh and.. Just learn anything at all useful.

Firefly218
I never said Star Wars hype was very low, I said it was at a low. The hype is still very high, but relative to other huge blockbusters, especially Avengers 2 and bats vs supes, it's weaker. Makes sense now?

Also, the first two horrible prequels put a sizable damper on the box office of Revenge of Sith. RoS earned a meager 380 million worldwide. Those numbers can't compete with a box office Mammoth like Avengers or the first on-screen pairing of bats, supes and WW.

Firefly218
Just learn anything at all useful.

Good one

BruceSkywalker
Bats v. Supes has..

JMp8aDH8d9M

ares834
I never said Star Wars hype was very low, I said it was at a low. The hype is still very high, but relative to other huge blockbusters, especially Avengers 2 and bats vs supes, it's weaker. Makes sense now?

Also, the first two horrible prequels put a sizable damper on the box office of Revenge of Sith. RoS earned a meager 380 million worldwide. Those numbers can't compete with a box office Mammoth like Avengers or the first on-screen pairing of bats, supes and WW.

confused

RotS made 850 million WW way back in 2005 (350 is the domestic #)...

Firefly218
confused

RotS made 850 million WW way back in 2005 (350 is the domestic #)...

I'd still consider that an under performance

steverules_2
Can the typo of this thread at the end be fixed please, thanks smile

0mega Spawn
Avengers will be better by default imo...

I just can't see a reason why supes would need batmans help. Or why batman would need supes help

steverules_2
Don't forget wonder woman is in this too...and a cyborg cameo

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by steverules_2
Don't forget wonder woman is in this too...and a cyborg cameo

yea but the wrong actress is playing diana

steverules_2
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
yea but the wrong actress is playing diana

She's gonna need to put on some weight and bulk up but so far I haven't seen her do that, I think it's a bit unfair that she hasn't been made to do that. There have been tonnes of actor's/actresses who have had to put their bodies through hell to look right for the part in movies yet she's done f*ck all erm

DARTH POWER
I'd still consider that an under performance

It's hard today for Big Blockbusters to make over $800mill WW. Neither Thor 2, MOS, The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America 2, or Days of Future Past have reached those heights in today's money. (Some not even close).

Add 9 years of inflation and 3D ticket prices and you'll realize despite the 2 previous "terrible movies" the Star Wars franchise can still pass the Billion Dollar WW mark (in today's dollar terms) quite easily. Add in the hype of the OT cast returning and... Anything is Possible. Especially when the last SW Live Action film was generally considered the best of the Prequels. (Actually has close to 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and over 7 in IMDB ratings IIRC).

Utrigita
Avengers imo.

It's hard today for Big Blockbusters to make over $800mill WW. Neither Thor 2, MOS, The Amazing Spider-Man, Captain America 2, or Days of Future Past have reached those heights in today's money. (Some not even close).

Add 9 years of inflation and 3D ticket prices and you'll realize despite the 2 previous "terrible movies" the Star Wars franchise can still pass the Billion Dollar WW mark (in today's dollar terms) quite easily. Add in the hype of the OT cast returning and... Anything is Possible. Especially when the last SW Live Action film was generally considered the best of the Prequels. (Actually has close to 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and over 7 in IMDB ratings IIRC).

IIRC Captain America 2 got a bit over $700mill

Lestov16
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Avengers will be better by default imo...

I just can't see a reason why supes would need batmans help. Or why batman would need supes help

didn't Captain America need Hulk's help?

Kazenji
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn

I'm guessing you haven't check out this comic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman/Batman

then there's also the two animated movies which are based on the 1st & 2nd story arcs

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Utrigita
Avengers imo.

IIRC Captain America 2 got a bit over $700mill

Yeah it was a huge hit and is at 710mill WW and about to stop making anymore. So no one can deny that even today hitting the $800mill WW mark is no easy task. So imagine 9 years ago and without 3d Ticket prices.

It's not close to the biggest grossing of all time or anything like that, but still a massive hit after what are generally considered the 2 worst SW movies.

Utrigita
Yeah it was a huge hit and is at 710mill WW and about to stop making anymore. So no one can deny that even today hitting the $800mill WW mark is no easy task. So imagine 9 years ago and without 3d Ticket prices.

It's not close to the biggest grossing of all time or anything like that, but still a massive hit after what are generally considered the 2 worst SW movies.

Agreed.

I believe the Phantom Menace had higher sales? And Star Wars A New Hope is one of the best earning movies of all time with inflation taking into account.

ares834

thumb up

Exactly. And with the full marketing power of Disney behind it I expect SW7 will be huge.

Firefly218

Good point. I still think the hype for Avengers and Batman v Superman is much greater, but with the right marketing Star Wars can potentially reach a billion. It's definitely possible.

Newjak
I just hope they are both great movies.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Newjak
I just hope they are both great movies.

thumb up

All we can do is hope.

BruceSkywalker
She's gonna need to put on some weight and bulk up but so far I haven't seen her do that, I think it's a bit unfair that she hasn't been made to do that. There have been tonnes of actor's/actresses who have had to put their bodies through hell to look right for the part in movies yet she's done f*ck all erm

she needs to ask stallone for his steroid/hgh batch

steverules_2
Wonder who voted Batman/Supes mhmm

playa1258
Avengers goal should be the 2 billion WW

Batman/Superman 1.2 Billion WW

Star Wars 1.5 Billion WW

safado
Those numbers are realistic but the list of wrong headed thinking is huge

Let me begin

Ww. It's pretty obvious that marvel is directly putting its comics into film format while Warner is taking bits and pieces of its best comics and making films that exist in their own film verse

Nolan's batman was very unbatman like in a lot of ways and some parts of the trilogy are considered film classics, not superhero film classics, just plain film classics

Put Christian bale next to Chris Evans and hell look like a twig. Comic batman is huge, he's afflecksvrange. Visually

Gal gadot is Israeli (my peeps) she looks Mediterranean and she was likely chosen to play the mix of diplomat to mans world and warrior, regard
Less of physique. The actresses she beat out,like Olga kuryelenko, we're all similar in bod.y type. They want a strong woman in Character, like bale batman who d
Idnt look like Morrison batman but nailed batmans obssession. ,ability to intimidate and frankly, his courage.

In comics its easy to forget batman is a frail human being who can die by bullet fighting side by side with gods and against them. Bale managed to look human and unstoppable at the same time

If gadot doesn't suck, it will be the same.

Squirtle

Safado for sure. Dunno the other vote.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Squirtle
Safado for sure. Dunno the other vote. Safado admits he doesn't have one fiber of objectivity in his entire body.

roughrider
Just guessing at this point, so - my best guess is Avengers: Age Of Ultron will be better and make even more money.
Not just because it's being made by Joss Whedon...

But because the other film is being made by Zack Snyder. stick out tongue

Kazenji

Golgo13

not sure if he actually ventures into this section tho.

steverules_2
Well he's not alone anymore

safado
Who cares about objectivity in matters of taste and preference. I love vijay jay, I'm not giving the other option a try because I'm upholding a virtuous moral standard. Plus, I want both dc and mu to keep cranking out equally good material (albeit I want my fanboy gave to be the peoples champ in superman and not hulk or Thor)

I
Think people are missing the general point. Marvel has set up a machine in which you're buying a brand. You go
To a Thor film and you like it because, even if thorbisnt your favorite character, you're watchingg a screen universe you're invested in.

Dc is trying to do that superficially but dc films and characters will do better as stand alone films. Dc characters are simply more iconic and it's easier to get invested in flashes world, or wonder womans, without needing the rest of the dcu. That's not a bad thing. If they pull off green lantern, which I think they can, I'm sure some people could watch gl and happily enjoy gls universe without even caring about supermans existence

Last point

I don't think anyone has consider.eld that every character that doesvavstand alone in marvel is landing between 400-500 worldwide,
AZfter

Nearly a decades worth of world building. Even iron man only snagged 375 his first time out before he became a billion dollar guarantee

Superman nearly cracked 700 million in his reboot. No one character has come close to that and despite divided opinion, which I think was intentional, everyone wants to see what happens next. Mos killed at the box office because it was a hero films first time out and in this day and age where the wow factor has diminished, that's very very impressive and even though the film fails at the end, it is great if you take separate scenes, themes etc... It's essentially a great film with an anti climactic finish

Now couple that with a more comic book like batman after the last trilogy made well over 2.5 billion dollars or so

Add in that we've NEVER seen any wonder woman on screen EVER

And there is a chance the film itselF might Be good. If nothing is way out of place, like afflecksvrange acting or terrible dialogue (I trust the writers and effects above all) I think the movie will be very good, though not great, as it tries to set up a dcu. It will likely have huge wow moments and solid writing coupled with batman, superman and ww on screen for the first time with some likely surprises and villains

If nothing is awful, it will be a movie that borders on great but leaves you wanting more, and the good scenes will be epic. It has an outside chance of being epic, with just as much chance of being awful. Once I see a clip with afflecksvrange as batman I'll know, same with ww

Surprise prediction.....eisenberg will kill it

He will be a terrifying Luther who will make you root for him, then do evil things that make you question if you should

Based
Originally posted by Impediment

The only way to back up statements like these regarding unreleased movies is conceding fanboyism.

Impediment
Fixed the title.

steverules_2
Thanks Imp smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.