Dominion on Syfy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/tvrecaps/11773-Dominion-Review-This-Post-Apocalyptic-Sequel-Cribs-Liberally-from-Everything

Dominion Review: This Post-Apocalyptic Sequel Cribs Liberally from Everything.

Though the cliches are common and the story is overwrought, what else are you going to do while you wait for season 5 of Game of Thrones?

Perhaps you weren't one of the fans of the 2010 movie Legion, but you don't need that backstory to dive into SyFy's new spin-off, Dominion... mostly because during Dominion's plodding, 90-minute premiere it doesn't skimp on backstory. The pilot episode is jam packed with cliches as the show tries to decide whether it wants to be Fallout, The Hunger Games, Game of Thrones or, more likely, all three at once. It makes for a busy hour and a half of television, but the show does feature some solid performances (like a villainous Anthony Stewart Head), good CG effects (though they're mixed with less good effects), gorgeous sets, and an elaborate world that you could easily get lost in. The story has an epic sense of scale, one that hardly seems to fit into the small size of a television screen, even with a lengthy premiere episode.

The size of the world is the real problem: Dominion has a lot of setup to do before it can really get into the meat of the story, and it may well lose your attention before it gets there. Making matters worse, the cast of characters seems to enjoy repeating things we already know to make sure everyone's on the same page, which makes the episode ping pong between confusing and repetitive. However, if you're a fan of supernatural stories inspired by religious mythology -- and find yourself missing CW's Supernatural -- the show might be worth a watch... if only to enjoy Head getting to go full-out villain. Additionally, though the show is laden with cliches, it combines them in a fashion that might amount to something new.

Maybe.

At any rate, there's enough interesting about the pilot that we might see the show settle into something watchable. Though it's not exactly a recommendation, it's the best that can be given after the first episode. You can catch episodes of Dominion on SyFy Thursdays at 9/8c, but you can also watch full episodes on SyFy.com. Now, let's tear into the pilot. Spoilers follow.

Dominion takes place 25 years after Legion. God has left, and in the aftermath many angels held man responsible and waged war on the humans. One angel, Michael, chose to fight for man and has helped them rebuild in a post-apocalyptic world that's part Fallout: New Vegas and part The Walking Dead. Dominion is set in a rebuilt Las Vegas, which its inhabitants now call Vega.

Elizabeth Harper | 21 June 2014 8:00 am

Stoic
This show is pretty decent. The first 5 minutes in had me interested. You guys should check it out.

Lestov16
The trailers for this somewhat reminded me of Legion. No wonder this is a spin-off. I'll give it a go.

Stoic
Originally posted by Lestov16
The trailers for this somewhat reminded me of Legion. No wonder this is a spin-off. I'll give it a go.

It's definitely a good show. The only thing that I'm wondering about is how long will it be able to hold my interest, or if it will fall off like so many other shows that seemed really good at the beginning. Lot's of plot twists in the first episode really has me wondering about future alliances. I'll say no more, because you, and anyone else interested in watching have to see it to know what I mean.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.