Sinestro vs Magneto

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Who would win in a straight up fight?

If you was the writer who would you write as the winner and why?

riv6672
Wow, guess you read that post!
laughing out loud

I'll probably be in the minority but i'm picking Sinestro.
I think a GL level ring is just more powerful than Magneto. Especially when used by an expert who has very few qualms about extreme messures.

yaadaveyaa
Originally posted by riv6672
Wow, guess you read that post!
laughing out loud

I'll probably be in the minority but i'm picking Sinestro.
I think a GL level ring is just more powerful than Magneto. Especially when used by an expert who has very few qualms about extreme messures.

i dont disagree it honestly kinda depends on where they fight too, but i dont have enough sinestro feats to know if he can break mags shields or not, and if u give mags a lot of city material to work with then he might get burried in a ton of shit

quanchi112
Magneto wins.

deathslash
Sinestro

abhilegend
Originally posted by deathslash
Sinestro

carver9
Originally posted by yaadaveyaa
i dont disagree it honestly kinda depends on where they fight too, but i dont have enough sinestro feats to know if he can break mags shields or not, and if u give mags a lot of city material to work with then he might get burried in a ton of shit

The fight takes place in New York city

TheHulk
Damn it.......love both, a little more for Mags.

Sinestro should win barely. but i'll go for Magneto for the upset smile

yaadaveyaa
Originally posted by carver9
The fight takes place in New York city

well in that case, theres no reason y magneto wouldnt bury sinestro here, hes going to have an unlimited amount of metal to throw at him from every angle and sit behind a shield and a wall of metal like he does, mags wins pretty handily in nyc

Decimus
Sinestro hands down

yaadaveyaa
Originally posted by Decimus
Sinestro hands down

in a major city with unlimted metal? no chance

TheHulk
well in that case, theres no reason y magneto wouldnt bury sinestro here, hes going to have an unlimited amount of metal to throw at him from every angle and sit behind a shield and a wall of metal like he does, mags wins pretty handily in nyc Ohh truly, Mags got a better chance if this fight is really in NY.

Decimus
in a major city with unlimted metal? no chance
The rings capabilities are beyond Magneto unless a massive downgrade happened to Sinestro that I'm unaware of he is too much for Magnus. Sinestro can control everything around him and his upper limit is just beyond Erik.

"Id"
Sinestro

Dampyre
Sinestro should win but it would be an interesting fight to see.

abhilegend
Magneto isn't going to go through Sinestro's shields. Sinestro would **** him up at current levels.

Flyattractor
Sinestro.

Shabazz916
Mags sinestro ring is metal of some kind... and the contructs aren't magic so they are some kind of energy mags for the win

Golgo13
Originally posted by "Id"
Sinestro

leonidas
not sure how much dcnu sinestro differs from his classic counterpart, but i'd say this was pretty damn close most of the time. given the fits dr polaris has given hal in the past, mags would def be a problem for sinestro. i'd take sinestro for a majority, but none of the fights would be easy at all imo....assuming classic versions of the characters of course. sinestro. 6.5/10 maybe.

quanchi112
Originally posted by abhilegend
Magneto isn't going to go through Sinestro's shields. Sinestro would **** him up at current levels. Based on ?

riv6672
Originally posted by Shabazz916
Mags sinestro ring is metal of some kind... and the contructs aren't magic so they are some kind of energy mags for the win

You're assuming that Magneto can affect whatever material the ring is made of, and that he can do anything with the energy it produces.

DarkSaint85
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/12306/1451831-green_lantern_rayner_.jpg

GL, sure....

riv6672
Ha, thats a heck of a power showing!!!

Was Kyle smart enough to wrap himself in energy, cutting off access to the ring?

carver9
Ha, thats a heck of a power showing!!!

Was Kyle smart enough to wrap himself in energy, cutting off access to the ring?

Do you honestly think that would work? Especially against someone like Magneto.

Golgo13
Sinestro's Control over his ring>Magneto. Using the Kyle example isn't a good one, since Sinestro has more discipline and experience. Mongul learned the hard way.

MF DELPH
Sinestro has more control over the power of his ring, not the substance of his ring (metal). Even at .5 km Magneto could have the ring sever Sinestro's finger and fly away from him once the opening bell rings (assuming that both don't start the match already shielded).

carver9
Originally posted by Golgo13
Sinestro's Control over his ring>Magneto. Using the Kyle example isn't a good one, since Sinestro has more discipline and experience. Mongul learned the hard way.

This doesn't even make sense.

riv6672
Originally posted by carver9
This doesn't even make sense.

Sure it does. As much sense as high ending Magneto to no end. High end one, high end both.
Thats why i prefer averaging showings.

That scan was obviously low ending the leaguers.
Bats would have insulation, but i can buy it being overwhelmed.
Still, WW is being straight up punked, MM should have enough control over his body to deal with that attack, and kyle was the victim of a super powered "stop hitting yourself" play.

leonidas
that polaris was amped, so, while impressive, it isn't really relevant to this. i was trying to find a time when polaris pulled hal's ring off, but had no luck. i don't see that as a very likely option though. while mags might pull at it, the ring itself has sentience and can fly and sinestro can control it even at a distance. then there is the shield issue and an auto-shield argument could be made for the ring slingers. doesn't mean mags can't beat him though. i think it would be a great fight.

riv6672
I think it'd be a great fight too.
Definitely not a stomp for either guy.

Golgo13
Who said there was metal in the ring? Sinestros ring.

tkitna
I guess i'm in the minority, but I think Sinestro wins and I don't think it would even be close. Curbstomp for the ring wearer.

batdude123
The Dr. Polaris showing where he used Kyle's ring against him is a pretty silly one-time occurrence that I haven't seen outside of that comic. And that's quite telling too, considering Dr. Polaris is a Hal Jordan villain. Sinestro isn't having his ring plot-deviced in this battle. He wins 6-7/10.

Existere
Sinestro wins. When the gloves come off, he packs equal-or-greater versatility and certainly more power.

He'd have to exert himself to beat Mags, as would any herald-level energy manipulator, but he would ultimately win.

deathslash
Isn't sinestro currently in posession of parallax or did I miss something?

"Id"
No in his solo series he released Parallax.

HueyFreeman
Would love for these two to meet. They would probably get along.

MF DELPH
I'm not saying who wins as I do think this is a good match, but Dr. Polaris isn't the only person to effect a ring on the finger of a GL. Tangent Superman was able to pull a similar stunt on John Stewart, though that was via telekinesis and not allowing him to interface with his ring. Magneto can disrupt brain patterns and EM fields and the rings operate on verbal and mental commands (Magneto altered the polarity of the entire Earth at one point to inhibit telepathy), plus they are made from metal, so I don't believe it's a no limits fallacy to assume that Magneto, who has effected magical metals, alien metals, adamantium, and the body of Tiamut, can manipulate a small metal ring with circuitry. There's avenues of attack for Magneto unless this match starts with shielding up for both opponents at go. That's all I'm saying. Especially since .5 km is well withing Magneto's range of instant effect.

Blair Wind
Can Magneto's powers effect a yellow power ring considering it's from the anti-matter universe?

carver9
Magneto can also manipulate energy on an extremely high level. I think an argument can be made for both.

"Id"
With the revelation that the physical bodies of Celestials are made from Vibranium, makes Magneto reconstruction feat of Tiamut that much more impressive.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Can Magneto's powers effect a yellow power ring considering it's from the anti-matter universe?

abhilegend
Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'm not saying who wins as I do think this is a good match, but Dr. Polaris isn't the only person to effect a ring on the finger of a GL. Tangent Superman was able to pull a similar stunt on John Stewart, though that was via telekinesis and not allowing him to interface with his ring. Magneto can disrupt brain patterns and EM fields and the rings operate on verbal and mental commands (Magneto altered the polarity of the entire Earth at one point to inhibit telepathy), plus they are made from metal, so I don't believe it's a no limits fallacy to assume that Magneto, who has effected magical metals, alien metals, adamantium, and the body of Tiamut, can manipulate a small metal ring with circuitry. There's avenues of attack for Magneto unless this match starts with shielding up for both opponents at go. That's all I'm saying. Especially since .5 km is well withing Magneto's range of instant effect.
Sinestro's ring isn't made of metal last I checked.

abhilegend
Also even Kyle has smacked Polaris into unconsciousness pretty early. Nothing to suggest Sinestro wouldn't do that to Magneto since he doesn't uses shields in character.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by Blair Wind

I think that's a good question. The only thing I would use as a counterpoint would be that in the Marvel Universe there is also an Anti-Matter Universe (the Negative Zone) and no being from the positively charged universe has ever had any issues using their powers on beings or materials (Cosmic Control Rod, for example) which originated from the anti-matter universe. Typically the scientific matter/antimatter reaction is tossed out the window until it suits the plot and beings from either verse are treated with the same properties when they interact, except for Anti-Monitor. Touching him seems to burn people, whereas a Yellow Lantern Ring doesn't seem to have any negative effects on the primarily positive matter Sinestro Corps members. Crime Syndicate interactions, for another example.

Existere
Also even Kyle has smacked Polaris into unconsciousness pretty early. Nothing to suggest Sinestro wouldn't do that to Magneto since he doesn't uses shields in character. Sure he does.

abhilegend
Originally posted by Existere
Sure he does.
Oh really? When was the last time he used shields in combat?

MF DELPH
Sinestro's ring isn't made of metal last I checked.

Are you certain of this, or just assuming?

A brief Google search I did brought up that power rings were made from an ore called "Oaite", as well as other metals mined from Titan:

"Power rings are said to be made of "Oaite," a compound found on Oa. Other compounds have been taken from worlds throughout the cosmos, at least five power rings were comprised of ore mined on Titan, a moon of Jupiter. ". http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/rings.php.

Sinestro Corps rings were created by the Weaponers of Qward, so I'm going to see if I can find the comic where Sinestro is given the ring and see if it shows or states how the Weaponers crafted it (and what from).

Golgo13

A brief Google search I did brought up that power rings were made from an ore called "Oaite", as well as other metals mined from Titan:

"Power rings are said to be made of "Oaite," a compound found on Oa. Other compounds have been taken from worlds throughout the cosmos, at least five power rings were comprised of ore mined on Titan, a moon of Jupiter. ". http://glcorps.dcuguide.com/rings.php.

Sinestro Corps rings were created by the Weaponers of Qward, so I'm going to see if I can find the comic where Sinestro is given the ring and see if it shows or states how the Weaponers crafted it (and what from).

I think Sinestro created rings by himself from his own ring. I don't think they were made of metal, but energy.

MF DELPH
The ring can replicate itself. That doesn't mean the duplicates are non-metal. Just like Star Trek Replicators can create metal objects (mass producing phasers, for example).

*edit

"Duplication of the Power Ring

An experienced ring wielder can create other power rings, duplicates of his/her/its own. These power rings are subject to the same limitations as their "original" copy, and will run out of power in twenty-four hours if not recharged."

Golgo13
The ring can replicate itself. That doesn't mean the duplicates are non-metal. Just like Star Trek Replicators can create metal objects (mass producing phasers, for example).

*edit

"Duplication of the Power Ring

An experienced ring wielder can create other power rings, duplicates of his/her/its own. These power rings are subject to the same limitations as their "original" copy, and will run out of power in twenty-four hours if not recharged."

True, but it doesn't mean they are metal, either. Unless it was stated.

batdude123

Still though, twice in the entire history of the power rings has something like that happened? It's a stretch for me to buy that Erik would have more control over Sinestro's ring than Sinestro would, mainly due to the fact that the power of the ring supercedes the material/materials from which it was created. They've (Sinestro/GLs) faced far greater cosmic threats with better energy manipulation than Magneto.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by Golgo13
True, but it doesn't mean they are metal, either. Unless it was stated.

They're exact replicas (duplicates). They're made of what the original is made of. It's essentially mitosis.

MF DELPH
Originally posted by batdude123
Still though, twice in the entire history of the power rings has something like that happened? It's a stretch for me to buy that Erik would have more control over Sinestro's ring than Sinestro would, mainly due to the fact that the power of the ring supercedes the material/materials from which it was created. They've (Sinestro/GLs) faced far greater cosmic threats with better energy manipulation than Magneto.

That doesn't exactly mean anything unless all of those cosmic threats tried this specific avenue of attack (magnetism).

And as sharp as we both know you are, I think we both know you know that.

*edit

I'm not saying Magneto can control the ring and make constructs/manipulate the Oan energy. I'm saying the substance of the instrument itself. Just like Magneto can move Mjolnir but he's not going to be casting lightning with it or opening magic portals.

Golgo13
They're exact replicas (duplicates). They're made of what the original is made of. It's essentially mitosis.

But we don't know what they are made of, right? Do you have a scan where it tells the objects materials?

abhilegend

That's pre-crisis version of the story. After rebirth, the rings are supposed to be made of pure energy.

MF DELPH
That's what I'm researching now. I'm trying to see what the Weaponers crafted it from. All I've found so far is that the Green Lantern Rings were made from an Oan metal (Oaite).

abhilegend
That's what I'm researching now. I'm trying to see what the Weaponers crafted it from. All I've found so far is that the Green Lantern Rings were made from an Oan metal (Oaite).
Sinestro's old ring was destroyed in Rebirth. He made another ring out of pure fear energy AFAIK.

Stoic
At this point I'm picking Sinestro. Magneto isn't at the top of his game currently. Unless this is Magneto from years ago when he was at his best? Even then I wouldn't highly favor either, because Sinestro is really good with his ring.

batdude123
My point is, the instances you're using to justify Erik manipulating the ring are rather plot-devicey. If it was as easy as pulling the ring off magnetically, it would have happened more than once. They've faced guys who easily have the power to magnetically float a piece of jewelry off of a finger. The rings have the power to overcome singularities (the pressure of black holes). That's more power than Erik could dream of exerting.

MF DELPH
While the gravity of a black hole might be more pull than Magneto can generate, the black hole isn't focusing magnetism on one specific point with precision and just trying to pull the ring off of the bearer's finger, it's trying the pull the entire mass into a gravity well. That's not exactly analogous. And while they've faced guys capable of doing that, have those characters been depicted as attempting the act and failing? Because I've seen Batman just outright pull a ring off a Lantern's finger like a pick pocket, and he's no black hole either.

batdude123
And my point is, if you have to bring up Batman pulling the ring off of his finger with any hint of seriousness, it's not looking good for Magneto. I wish Val still posted. He has scans showing that even after having his ring finger cut off (and ostensibly, his connection to the ring), even a random Lantern wasn't able to have the ring removed from his finger.

MF DELPH
I know Lanterns can remote control their rings (Sinestro himself overpowered Mongul's ring remotely), that's not my point. My point is Magneto has an avenue of attack to get to Sinestro and disrupt his abilities (ring removal and disrupting mental link to ring via EMP/synapse disruption), but that's contingent on Sinestro not entering the battlefield shielded. If Sinestro's shielded at go I think it's an uphill battle for Magneto, and a loss.

batdude123
No, I mean the ring literally could not be taken off his severed finger.

MF DELPH
Odd, because at other times rings are able to be taken off (voluntarily and involuntarily).

However, in my research I just came across a scene where Guy Gardner (when he was Warrior) loses control of his powers in his bar and explodes and John Stewart's ring auto-shields him from the blast , so that strengthens the position of auto shielding nullifying Magneto's first volley, so Sinestro likely wins (since there's other instances of Rings providing involuntary reactive protection as well).

abhilegend
Yeah, Lobo cut Jack T. Chance to ribbons and the ring was still attached to his finger and he couldn't pry it open.

Also auto-shields can protect Sinestro from any EMP or magnetic related attacks Magneto can offer.

Golgo13
Yup. There was a similar feat in.Vindettis run last month.

riv6672
Also even Kyle has smacked Polaris into unconsciousness pretty early. Nothing to suggest Sinestro wouldn't do that to Magneto since he doesn't uses shields in character.

Originally posted by Existere
Sure he does.

Okay, i've got a question.

In different threads i've seen/been told two different things.
To paraphrase:
"X wouldnt do that in character, so it doesnt count. Thats not how we debate here."

"Well obviously X would be going all out (IE not in character), thats the way we debate here."

So, is it whatever's convenient to make one's argument? I've rad the forum rules, and while i put out whatever argument i think is right regardless, i like to know which counter argument to take semi seriously.

Warlord
sinestro

leonidas
Originally posted by batdude123
My point is, the instances you're using to justify Erik manipulating the ring are rather plot-devicey. If it was as easy as pulling the ring off magnetically, it would have happened more than once. They've faced guys who easily have the power to magnetically float a piece of jewelry off of a finger. The rings have the power to overcome singularities (the pressure of black holes). That's more power than Erik could dream of exerting.

dude! eek! don't ever leave me for so long again. sneer

carver9
Oh really? When was the last time he used shields in combat?

Avengers vs Xmen. His fight against Ironman.

yaadaveyaa
magneto uses shields constantly in battle and very powerful ones at that along with control over the entire magnetic spectrum, not only are they in nyc giving mags about 10 bagillion tons of steel to play with and break sinestro, he might not ever reach mags, he doesnt need to remove his ring ot beat him does sinestro have feats of lifting a city off of him? or feats showing his constructs can stop buildings and cars from crushing him? mags ends up crushing the guy while sinestro cant get to mags gg

DarkSaint85

To paraphrase:
"X wouldnt do that in character, so it doesnt count. Thats not how we debate here."

"Well obviously X would be going all out (IE not in character), thats the way we debate here."

So, is it whatever's convenient to make one's argument? I've rad the forum rules, and while i put out whatever argument i think is right regardless, i like to know which counter argument to take semi seriously.

It's both.

Confusing, I know....a good way to explain it, I feel, is to use examples.

Flash vs Rhino.

Ding, the bell goes.

Does Flash IMMEDIATELY IMP, speedsteal, or use any of his Flash tricks, even though he never does it 'in character'? No. He will be fast, and he will punch.

Meanwhile, Rhino will also try punching. He's tagged Spidey before, he COULD hit Flash.

Flash gets cocky, gets tagged.

Rhino, however, doesn't kill either. And we've seen Flash get tagged by strong punches before. So he doesn't get KOed. BUT, he can see his punches weren't working, and he knows Rhino is a tough hombre who COULD beat him.

Flash changes tactics.

Rhino can see that his punches had no effect (Flash is rocked, but still standing). What does he do? The same, really. Even if you subscribe to the idea he is just a brick, he still does not have the tactical nous to change the battlefield (maybe use civilians, or move it to a closed alleyway etc).

Flash then stomps Rhino. Maybe by punching, or by using his Flash tricks. Because with speed (and intelligence, with characters like Batman or Reed) how long do you think it will take before the character goes, actually, punching does not work, better dip into my bag of tricks and see what else I can do?

So in answer to your question, Flash and Rhino, in character, would not use their full abilities. But once the going gets tough, they will. It just so happens certain characters have more to utilise, or can reach this conclusion quicker. If Batman fought the Joker, he prob wouldn't use every tactic at his disposal. Against General Eiling, however? Batgrenades.

riv6672
Ha, thanks for taking the time to answer. smile
I kind of suspect posters are using this fuzzy logic to justify arguments/nix those they disagree with.
This i can work with!!! stick out tongue

leonidas
that is EXACTLY what happens. best bet is to just go by their average method of attack. outliers can always be applied if necessary to extreme opponents, but in general, they really DO fight like they fight MOST of the time in a comic book. if someone is arguing something different, just grin and bear it. or use ignore. it's a GREAT help. smile

DarkSaint85
Yeah. Side tangent, I guess, but speed and intelligence are always b!tches to depict in comics, and to argue against. Speed, especially.

Even the crappiest pro boxers know when to change their tactics in a match. When that person is literally able to think at the speed of light?

batdude123
Originally posted by leonidas
dude! eek! don't ever leave me for so long again. sneer

laughing out loud

I know it feels strange "debating" comic book characters again after so long.

Reshiram
Sinestro, with ease

Existere

To paraphrase:

So, is it whatever's convenient to make one's argument? I've rad the forum rules, and while i put out whatever argument i think is right regardless, i like to know which counter argument to take semi seriously. I think the goal is just to be as fair to each character as possible. You should expect characters in a forum fight to be as competent and powerful as they would be on a good day in the comics, no more or less, and without the limits of plot and character popularity.

riv6672
Oh, i do.
But when i get told that the physically strongest character will always win regardless of the weaker one's skill, because thats how forum fights work, weeeell, i have to wonder! laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.