The new EU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TobaccoRoad
So now that the last 40-odd years of Star Wars are all but erased from memory, do you think the new equivalent of they EU will ever be as expansive, rich, interesting? I realize a large part of the whole "reboot" is to fix continuity issues, but will it be worth it? Will any actual fans consider "our" Extended Universe to be essentially on the same level as the Infinities? Sorry if this comes of as a rant, but there's just so many feels
Anyway, I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this. TIA

Emperordmb
Rather than canon and legends, I like to think of them as two different continuities; the Legends Continuity, and the Disney Continuity.

Darth Abonis
That question vexes me to this day. Will the new EU become as big. They are certainly planning to continue the expansion through movies, games and books, and comics. Only time will tell.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Rather than canon and legends, I like to think of them as two different continuities; the Legends Continuity, and the Disney Continuity.

Me too. Well said.

Originally posted by TobaccoRoad
So now that the last 40-odd years of Star Wars are all but erased from memory,

Uh no, no they really aren't. See this kind of talk makes absolutely no sense to me. Were the original Superman movies with Christopher Reeves "erased from memory" when Man of Steel was released? No they weren't. Plenty of people still watch and love them today.

do you think the new equivalent of they EU will ever be as expansive, rich, interesting?

Personally no. I suspect that everything that comes from now on will be tainted by Prequelisation.

I realize a large part of the whole "reboot" is to fix continuity issues

Nah, the only reason for this "reboot" is so they make a ton of money selling merchandise for new movies.

That's the only reason the Sequel Trilogy is being made. Greed. Just pure greed.

Will any actual fans consider "our" Extended Universe to be essentially on the same level as the Infinities?

Whoah, whoah.

"Actual fans?" What the heck is an "actual fan?" Are you implying that we who continue to love the EU (or Legends or whatever) are not "actual fans?"

Kalen Sykes
Considering we are the actual fans", I think we'll treat the EU the same way we always have: entertaining and informative, but ultimately behind the true canon, in terms of importance.

Kalen Sykes
What does my age have to do with what I said?

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Kalen Sykes
Considering we are the actual fans", I think we'll treat the EU the same way we always have: entertaining and informative, but ultimately behind the true canon, in terms of importance.
I'm pretty sure they mean actual fans of the new EU as compared to the old one, not that there will be a new "EU" because unlike before, everything is the same level of canon now, from what I've gathered, upon release.

Also, ignore PTftw.

Q99
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
That question vexes me to this day. Will the new EU become as big. They are certainly planning to continue the expansion through movies, games and books, and comics. Only time will tell.

They are supposed to keep a tighter reign on stuff this time around. So likely there'll be less random weird stuff, but it will still steadily grow in size.

Our EU is basically 20 years of work- from the mid-90s to the mid-10s. With a whole ton of completely random weird things in there.

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Rather than canon and legends, I like to think of them as two different continuities; the Good Continuity, and the Ass Continuity.

This how I see it.

Kalen Sykes
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I'm pretty sure they mean actual fans of the new EU as compared to the old one, not that there will be a new "EU" because unlike before, everything is the same level of canon now, from what I've gathered, upon release.

Also, ignore PTftw.

Thanks. That's how I wanted to put it, but somewhere between my brain and the keyboard, the message was butchered.

NewGuy01
Apparently Disney is planning on making films for the next 40 years.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Q99
They are supposed to keep a tighter reign on stuff this time around. So likely there'll be less random weird stuff, but it will still steadily grow in size.

Our EU is basically 20 years of work- from the mid-90s to the mid-10s. With a whole ton of completely random weird things in there.

In other words the "New EU" will be dull and boring because they'll just emulate the movies (because after all that's where the moolah is) and won't dare try anything creative or original.

Basically Prequelisation all over again but even worse.

Originally posted by GenomeFrozener
TThis how I see it.

Personally I think you're being a little harsh calling the canon stuff "Ass Continuity." The PT is certainly, but the OT wasn't that bad. I agree that the EU is the Good Continuity though.

Kalen Sykes
Originally posted by chilled monkey
In other words the "New EU" will be dull and boring because they'll just emulate the movies (because after all that's where the moolah is) and won't dare try anything creative or original.

Not necessarily. This could be a golden opportunity to give everything more of an OT feel, with technological updates, as needed. Fingers crossed...

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by chilled monkey

Personally I think you're being a little harsh calling the canon stuff "Ass Continuity." The PT is certainly, but the OT wasn't that bad. I agree that the EU is the Good Continuity though.

To me, pre-Legend change stuff goes to the good side while the horrible Legends does into the Ass side. I just really hate the whole "Legends" decision, ALOT.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.