Serous misunderstanding of the prophecy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

odin
Ok.... one thing i don't get.....

In the story... the sith were wiped out... long ago...
so... all there was left... was the jedi... pretty much...

And there is a prophecy that says that one day one will come that will bring ballance to the force... and they believe its anakin.....

Wouldnt that imply that that would mean the return of the sith?? Increase of Jedi using the Darkside? And a ballance of the force... would be approximate power.. and or influence??...... brought to equlibrium between the two?

Any thoughts??

Ushgarak
No, this is a common misunderstanding. The Light Side creates balance, the Dark Side destroys it. The imbalance is the return of the Sitrh, only their destruction removes it.

queeq
Confusing? Yes, I know. This is GL's world.

Ushgarak
It's all his mythological input. I don't have a problem with it but it would have been nice if he had sadi these things in the FILM. It IS for kids, after all.

yerssot
one of the best lines in the movie:
"You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance in the force. You believe it's this ... ... boy?"

odin
ahh.. ok... i was looking at it too much from the yin yang perspective......

the yin yangversion of good vs evil.... but that's way off....

Tevesh
yeah, i have talked to a lot of people who interpereted it as vader killing off all the jedi except for yoda and obi wan. which leave 2 light and 2 dark.
yoda and obiwan

palpatine and vader

but i always thought of bringing balance as destroying the dark

GordonSkywalker
My brother-in-law always thought the balance mentioned in the film was to bring back the sith as they were mostly extinct. I think the balance is actually the destruction of the dark side which engulfed the faraway galaxy by the time of A New Hope. I agree with Tevesh on this point. The balance is not necessarily one of equal sides.

Ushgarak
Obviously, the Jedi would not WANT Anakin to bring Balance if it was about restoring the Sith.

Tevesh
of course, we don't know if the jedi know what exactly is meant by "bringing balance to the force". they might, but as you mentioned before Ush, they didn't show that the jedi know what it means.

Ushgarak
I think from the tone of the film it is very obvious that the Jedi know it is a good thing- from what QGJ and Mace both say.

GordonSkywalker
Yes but it would only come to pass after a long era of galactic darkness.

Ushgarak
That is because things went horribly wrong, of course...

I think the essence of it is that just because the Chosen One COULD bring Balance, it was not a certain thing (as GL described about the Greater part of the Force, it is about discovering your destiny and then either accepting it or rejecting it). I think Palpatine was very sure he had neutralised the threat of the Chosen One by converting him (and in his hubris, did not kill Anakin as he most likely should of), and as it turned out Anakin DID choose to accept his destiny, long after people like Obi-Wan were sure it was too late.

Julie
equilibrium huh......sounds like chem to me...*shudders*

GordonSkywalker
Anakin Skywalker may or may not have been The Chosen One, as so far there has been no evidence to support this interpretation of the ancient prophecy. Episode 3 might reveal more information on this but for now there remains doubt as to whether he really was the one to bring balance back or not.

Ushgarak
GL confirmed Anakin is the Chosen One a long time back.

GordonSkywalker
Must have missed that one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

yerssot
you're only human wink

GordonSkywalker
Yes unlike others I have encountered during my seventh sojourn.

yerssot
south of the ridgie maze

cookies2006
huh?

yerssot
never been there?

GordonSkywalker
No I have yet to travel along that particular highway. As for my friend his path is a bit different from mine.

yerssot
watch for the sabredarts wink

GordonSkywalker
Where? Where?

yerssot
three coming in at 2 10

GordonSkywalker
I will use my manipulation of the force to thrust them into a different direction! Hahaha!(Laughs with a mad gleam in right eye)

yerssot
or fire the proton torpedoes

GordonSkywalker
If I was commanding a starship yes. But they took my command away years ago. sad

yerssot
bad behaviour?

GordonSkywalker
(Looks around suspiciously) There was a ...conspiracy involving ancient prophecies and chosen ones...........(Nods knowingly)

yerssot
never heard of it

cookies2006
dont think i did either.

GordonSkywalker
I was merely trying to interject the topic back into this conversation. wink

finti
well get it back onto topic, by the way nice try Gordon

GordonSkywalker
Thanks. I was under the impression that the Council were in the dark about certain details of this prophecy. Not even Yoda or Mace Windu could tell if Anakin Skywalker was really the Chosen One or not because he was too young at the time of their first meeting.(TPM) By AOTC Mace( at least half-seriously) believed the young man who was now Obi Wan's apprentice was the one who would bring balance back to the Force. Does anyone here think Episode III will clear up any remaining confusion in regards to Anakin really being the one that the prophecy meant? confused

yerssot
yes, it's quite clear they don't know everything, apperently mace thought the prophecy would be about a guy and not started with a boy
"you believe it's this ... ... boy??"

odin
well.. every guy is a boy some time.... and they usually get em in young(jedi)

GordonSkywalker
Maybe they were hoping for the Chosen One to be one of their own fully-trained and grown Jedi Masters.

Tevesh
or maybe the events of ep3 will have the jedi lose ALL faith that anakin is indeed the chosen one. lucas said that it's supposed to end darkly. i'm assuming that means something along the lines that the empire has been esablished, the jedi are dying or already dead, and anakin has been seduced by the dark side. if all that were happening because of the "chosen one" wouldn't you lose faith?

GordonSkywalker
An interesting and most valid point Tevesh. I do not know the status of the jedi once the next film begins so it is hard for me to specualte as you have done. Still your ideas are fascinating to say the least.

Tevesh
i do remember seening an interview, or reading an interview where lucas says that by the end of the third episode, the infant empire has been established. as for the status of the jedi, that is speculation, but in my opinion valid and quite probably speculation

GordonSkywalker
So the Empire will be established in the next episode? I know some people who will be glad to see that!

yerssot
yes, he said so

GordonSkywalker
Cool. Do you think Palpatine will destroy the Jedi Temple or will he convert it for his own private uses as suggested elsewhere?

yerssot
TieBombers have to practice somewhere ... wink

GordonSkywalker
So you think he will have it destroyed....interesting.

yerssot
why not?

GordonSkywalker
I thought he might keep it as a souveneir and renovate it for his personal residence or something.

yerssot
hopefully it will be explained in EpIII

GordonSkywalker
True they will have to show us what happens with the temple b/c that is Jedi HQ. What happens with all the children and the padawans not to mention the archives.

yerssot
killed smile

GordonSkywalker
Yeh I kind of already figured that but it woiuld be such a shame that Palpatine had to kill children.

yerssot
well, some thing are explained in the Devaronian Story, but that's all EU sad

Tevesh
yep. in EU all luke had to go by was that holocron right? i'm sure palpatine will have it destroyed......or, what if he just destroys all of the information of the jedi and converts it into his imperial palace?

GordonSkywalker
That's just what I was thinking!

Tevesh
we're on the same level GS, seein eye to eye

LaurenE147
You cannot destroy the dark side. You can only destroy the dark side users. It is the people who make the dark side what it is.

Ushgarak
This is true enough. The essence is in removing the users and so preventing them from disrupting the balance via the Dark Side.

GordonSkywalker
I was referring to Emperor Palpatine. He was the "dark side (user) which engulfed the faraway galaxy." I apologise if I did not make this clear in my earlier post.

Tevesh
same here

Omegaman
One thing some of you might be missing is that "balance" has many meanings or definitions! I think "balance" means to make things "right" again not to "make things equal". If the whole Star Wars idea has alot of basis in Japanese culture and beliefs , this theory fits perfectly!

Think about , say..."Karate Kid" when Miagi teaches Daniel-son about having "balance" and Daniel-son knows he must face his bullies to have "balance in life and with his girl.

So Anakin can (and in my opinion) does bring balance to the Force by killing the emperor/palpatine/darth sidious!

Ushgarak
Indeedy.

GordonSkywalker
{I have pointed this out before...}

Omegaman
I didnt see that post, glad to hear we agree though.

Ushgarak
And people pointed it out before you too, Gordon, so it does rather go on and on.

GordonSkywalker
{I never said it did not Ushgarak.}

cookies2006
Its alright, i've only been on kmc for about a month or two and i've seen alot of threads being recreated.

GordonSkywalker
That is certainly true. I have seen threads duplicated all over this section of the forum. So Cookies do you think Episode 3 will answer the questions we have about the ancient prophecy?

Tevesh
if it doesn't, lucas is going to have many livid and dissapointed fans

yerssot
thought he already did

GordonSkywalker
I for one love the prequels as well as the classics. So I am not disappointed in the slightest.

LaurenE147
I thought this was all settled.

GordonSkywalker
Nope.

Dalton
I agree with Gordon...episode 3 will bring out more of the underlying truths of the story. High in midi-clorians he might be but balanced he is not...

Dalton
Man, these conversations move on fast!!

Metroplex
Its pretty funny that anakin kills all the good Jedis, only to kill the last Sith lord and ending the reign of the Siths.

odin
you know... that guy has identity issues..... emperor/palpatine/darth sidious!

masterofmatrix
it could be that bringing balance to the force could mean that the same amoutnt of jedi and sith are around

finti
No it doesnt cause then Anakin would never been accepted into the Jedi order it would be like signing your own death warrent, anyway Yoda, Obi and Luke made 3, four if you count Leia. Siths have the 2 issue so..............

odin
hahahahah thats funny...... thats the basis this whole thread was started about...... haha HAHAHAH....... ok..... i'm better now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.