Does science have it's limits?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
In a GFFA, technology seems to be not as advanced as it could be. Stuff like matter replication, teleportation and time travel is non-existent. Is it that those things are impossible and that science has reached it's limits? Are they being researched by scientists on Coruscant, and just they haven't been realized yet? Or do some technologies like that (not teleportation obviously) exist and we just don't see them, as they aren't pertinent to the story being told on the screen?

FreshestSlice
Tech advances with the military. Since it's the Jedi's goal to destroy all advance tech they get their hands on, the Jedi are holding back advances in weaponry.

With most of the other things, science and technology is always improving in Star Wars, mostly in the medical field. I don't think the limit is anywhere near reached. It hasn't even reached it's previous bar yet.

Nephthys
No

NTJack0
Let Palpatine do his thing, he invents the cool shit.

TobaccoRoad
Since when do the Jedi destroy advanced tech?

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by TobaccoRoad
Since when do the Jedi destroy advanced tech?
The entire first chapter of the JK storyline is about destroying tech. I don't think that they actively search for such things to destroy, but Jedi have always been shown to disfavor the misuse of technology throughout the mythos, especially when wide death can be caused by it.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Darth Abonis
In a GFFA, technology seems to be not as advanced as it could be. Stuff like matter replication, teleportation and time travel is non-existent. Is it that those things are impossible and that science has reached it's limits? Are they being researched by scientists on Coruscant, and just they haven't been realized yet? Or do some technologies like that (not teleportation obviously) exist and we just don't see them, as they aren't pertinent to the story being told on the screen?
I am not sure about technology-oriented time travel but lot of impressive stuff have been depicted in Star Wars. In-fact, time travel can be achieved through the use of the Force and products of sorcery. Darth Rivan pulled off this feat with a product of sorcery, though he lost his powers as a side-effect.

Teleportation technology existed even during ancient times within the mythos. While playing SWTOR, I ventured in to regions inhabited by an ancient race Esh-Kha and they had teleportation systems in place. I ventured from one place to another through these systems.

Q99
Originally posted by Darth Abonis

The way tech works in SW, it seems that there is plateaus, past which advancement comes slowly and with a lot of work. Even then, it tends to advance fairly steadily across the board, so ship fights look similar between eras even if shields, turbolasers, and engines have all improved over time.

Somethings a new advancement is made. There was a time before hyperdrives. Then before that, there was a time before computers were advanced enough to handle routes without beacons. And before shields. Big shifts do happen, but once they do, the new status quo can last for tens of thousands of years.

Most recently, the appearance of the Vong have caused biotechnology to advance a lot, allowing the creation of biological replacement limbs.

Force tech is also possible, but largely forgotten in most eras, but seems to be cropping up again in Legacy. Perhaps light-side force tech will be achieved at some point.

I'd say the opposite. Things regressed badly during 1000 years of the New Sith Wars. Things advanced a lot during 1000 years of peace under the Jedi following it, and when war came, they were able to apply this advancement to make stronger ships than ever can before, and even pre-war there were some ships larger than any in the New Sith War or any prior big war with the Sith.

The Clone War at the end of the period didn't so much advance the tech in itself, it just gave a reason to apply what was there.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Q99
I'd say the opposite. Things regressed badly during 1000 years of the New Sith Wars. Things advanced a lot during 1000 years of peace under the Jedi following it, and when war came, they were able to apply this advancement to make stronger ships than ever can before, and even pre-war there were some ships larger than any in the New Sith War or any prior big war with the Sith.

The Clone War at the end of the period didn't so much advance the tech in itself, it just gave a reason to apply what was there.
I'm not saying that tech doesn't advance, but I do believe it could be well above where it is now. Something that always springs to mind is the cloaking device from JA. It's always about, "Don't let this fall into the wrong hands," instead of sending people to come get it. Or the Null Canons on Hoth, "Destroy these instead of us holding the base until someone could get it."

Q99
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I'm not saying that tech doesn't advance, but I do believe it could be well above where it is now. Something that always springs to mind is the cloaking device from JA. It's always about, "Don't let this fall into the wrong hands," instead of sending people to come get it. Or the Null Canons on Hoth, "Destroy these instead of us holding the base until someone could get it."

Cloaking technology seems to come and go. It's still around, but often requires rare materials for the good ones or has other limits.

Null cannons- aren't they basically ion cannons when you think about it? I don't think those were lost.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.