Popularity Vs Longevity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
We're always going to have DC and Marvel's flagship characters.
But there are characters that can maybe break the glass ceiling. Many years ago Wolverine was almost killed off instead of Thunderbird.
But he wasnt, got uber popular, and most importantly has stood the test of time.
Thats magic in a bottle.

Characters are sometimes created TO BE popular (as a solo title, part of a team, in a cross over). The next big thing. Doesnt work as well.
We have Nate Gray. Or rather, had. He's not the man he was 12-15 years ago. He fizzled.
Sentry was surely meant to be more than he is now, considering his RL origin.
DCs Power Company gave a hot creative team free reign. And it failed. Same with Aztek.

So, what hot, popular current characters are still going to be main eventing in 2024? Which wont?

pym-ftw
Supes, Spidey & Batman will most likely still be the big 3

Tony & Logan will probably fizzle out a bit but still be relevant

The Gotg & Cyborg will probably fade away

riv6672
Huh, good choices on GotG and Cyborg. Too bad about the latter.

pym-ftw
I think Victor will be huge if DoJ Batman references Dick, and they slowly build toward a Titans movie.

riv6672
THAT is a great idea. His tech look would be great on the screen IMHO.

Stoic
This all depends on several factors. One main factor is video games taking the number one slot for science fiction enthusiasts. Then you have the writers themselves that cause characters to fizzle, and then there is the staleness factor. Le's face it, even the most popular characters suffer from becoming stale.

I agree with Pym on most of his choices, but I see some of the GOTG characters exhibiting traits that may allow them to stay around a while. Angela, and Gamora may make the cut if they are handled properly. Thor, the Hulk, Superman, Spider Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine, Green Lantern/s, Blue Marvel, heck there are really too many characters that will be around in several decades from now, and I would not be surprised if most of them outlived all of the members on this site.

How? Well let's look at what Disney, and Warner Brothers will likely have in store for these characters. Video games will always use them, whether that be in single player format or the typical MMO, and movies. Where one person says it's shit, the other says yum.

I wouldn't be surprised if Spawn was still rocking in a couple of decades from now as well. But Image, and several other independent comic companies may be long gone.

-Pr-
Aquaman has turned a corner the last couple of years. I expect him to finally get the respect he deserves as time goes by.

In ten years, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the stigma about him being "lame" was completely forgotten about.

I can see Cyclops being far more popular than he is now, but at the same time being nothing like the character he was supposed to be.

riv6672
You warmed the cockles of my heart with your Aquaman views...big grin

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by -Pr-
Aquaman has turned a corner the last couple of years. I expect him to finally get the respect he deserves as time goes by.

In ten years, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the stigma about him being "lame" was completely forgotten about.

I can see Cyclops being far more popular than he is now, but at the same time being nothing like the character he was supposed to be.
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/bb/5c/11/bb5c1168034c5b16ae78214f760aab35.jpg

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by -Pr-

He becomes 90s magneto

riv6672
Cyclops missed out with the X franchise. Look at the posters for the first three movies, and his size and position on each.

LeonBuco666
They will be around for as long as they are popular.
Superman has always been popular, thats why he has stood the test of time.

Thor has recently exploded into pop-culture, how long will it last? He will be gone before superman.

Spiderman is marvel's poster boy, as Superman is DC"s and as long as DC & Marvel are still standing...they always will be.

Batman? Batman is Batman. Some people love him more than they love supes, I personally hate the ****.

In 2024? I imagine Spidey & Supes to still be golden boys...but who will behind them?
The big three for DC, i predict...Supes, Aquaman & Wonder Woman
The big three for Marvel, Spidey, Hulk, im inclined to say Cyclops believe it or not. Why? Its just a niggle.

I do believe that if Loki were to become a hero(wont happen)he would be major, as seen recently, he is

Zack Fair
You all stop messing with PR.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
He becomes 90s magneto

sad

Originally posted by riv6672
Cyclops missed out with the X franchise. Look at the posters for the first three movies, and his size and position on each.

Blame Bryan Singer pushing Wolverine. Cyclops shares top billing or just has top billing in a lot of the comics. No chance of that in the movies.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Zack Fair
You all stop messing with PR.

I honestly think marvel wishes they made him magneto's apprentice instead of Xaviers, given their desires to make him "Cool" by basically turning him into a villain in all but name for a while.

riv6672
I do blame Singer, and i agree about his recent status .

Shabazz916
black panther will rise once they start making super hero of color appear in movies

pym-ftw
Why? They dont sell comics why would a movie change anything?

LeonBuco666
A Cyclops stand-alone movie....i'd watch that given the right writers were involved with the right director.

riv6672
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Why? They dont sell comics why would a movie change anything?
Black movie audiences are very loyal to the small pool of quality black actors/actresses in Hollywood.
Chances are one of those will get tapped for the role.
Add Marvel's quality movie making to draw in the comics crowd in general, as well as the non comics crowd that just enjoy good action movies, and you'd mist likely have a solid hit.

However, that may not translate to long term comics success for BP. He has a lot of prior history that didnt catch on and cant be totally ignored.

So, movie, almost surely a Marvel win.
Comic afterwards, will have a decent run then fade out.

pym-ftw
Sorry if i came off snippy i just hate how people keep insinuating that racism/sexism is somehow the thing holding back these characters from movies is just dumb.

Not to say that was what Shabazz was arguing, he kinda caught me wrong on his tone.

riv6672
I hear you.
I personally like your directness.

LeonBuco666
On the topic of racial matters in Hollywood....Spike Lee; Racist or Not?

riv6672
Hey! Check out that ball bouncing into my court. huh

*realizes what the ball is* eek!

I'm outta here! laughing out loud

TheHulk
For Marvel, it will most likely be Spider Man, Wolverine and The Avengers. The stand out Avenger is obviously Stark, but Captain America:The Winter Soldier looks like it brought Cap A some more fame. And possibly Hulk, seeing as he was the biggest highlight of The Avengers.

DC...well...lol

tkitna
I'm not sure about DC, but I think Moon Knight is going to be really big in the next 5 or so years. I think he's going to get a big push.

Raisen
i'd still like to see more with Black Panther and Silver Surfer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.