Tournament/Battlezone: Suggestions and Concerns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

"Id"
Concerns over the future Tournament/Battlezone

I am going to address it here, as oppose to the subsection, since the main problem is due to having tournaments isolated. So without farther adue.

The Problem: The main problem is activity. There isn't any. There is no interest for it. The only ones interested in these tournament like matches are lurkers, and the hardcore members that participate.

This is due to the fact that the tournament is isolated from the main forum, which limits the amount traffic. So its of our interest for regular members to extend beyond the small circle of core members. Even if those attracted are just spectators, that simply comment in the TDT (Tournament Discussion Thread), it helps to add positive reinforcement, and hold an interest. Because if there is no interest, the matches die.

It should not come to a huge surprise, the average members who comes to the comic versus only looks into the main forum (not the battlezone), its attention locked on what the topics are in the main topic...especially when you have new topics created on a daily biases.

Another observation of mine, is that ever since the creation of the subform, activity in these tournaments have taken a dive.

Its not to say that the Battlezone does not hold any purpose. I think its a fantastic place to archive all previous competitive matches. Therefore it should stay. However, these competitive matches where more popular, and flourished when they took place in the main forum, as opposed to the sub forum.

The Solution: The real solution would be to hold all fututure matches, and topics in the main forum, stickied/tagged so it does not get buried under the main forums activity.

Once that season, tourney, or match ends. Untag, and move it to the Battlezone.

Just consider how beneficial it would to have the discussion, and matches in the Versus forum, as oppose to the battlezone, and you may come to understand that said matches will stand a better chance of not only reaching out to a bigger crowd, but hold down an interest better.

tl;dr: Bring back competitive matches and topics in the versus forums. Sticky or Tag them to keep them from getting buried under the main forums activity. To retire said topics, un-pin said topics, and move them back to the battlezone so they can be archived.

Drafting Characters

Considering that the Tier Topic are currently closed, and that character placement are up for dispute let alone those not on the list. I have a pair of suggestions.

The approval should not fall to the Host or direct participants per say but forwarded to either a "Panel of Judges" or "Official Draft Topic". If not both.

I would prefer a panel of judges, and if the judges are torn between making a decision, leave it to the Official Draft Thread, for a majority decision with a 70/30 ratio to be properly approved.

Something like 50/50 or even 60/40 seems a bit off, and leaves to much on the grey line that a character is being passed on with too much doubt or uncertainty.

So yeah something like....

Set up an official panel of judges. To which said drafted character for said tier, would be forwarded for approval or...

Set up an official draft thread, where said drafts are go through a "Yay or Nay", via majority vote. A general approval rating should be something close to a 70/30 ratio. Meaning nothing less than a 70% approval should be considered a pass. Anything less, and the character would need to be withdrawn, unless the participant properly appeals, and convinces members to sway their judgement.

Would be ideal. Both have been used before, and with a good deal of successes.

Questions, comments, concerns, suggestions, and any form of feedback are welcomed.

Galan007
very good points, id. i definitely agree. thumb up

tourneys, and and the like, being isolated in their own subforum has done more harm than good, due to the relative inactivity of said subforum. i mean, back before tourneys were hidden away, it seems like there were more people than we knew what to do with volunteering to be involved in every facet of them--but nowadays it's become extremely hard just to get people to commit to judging matches, let alone participating in them.

Werewolf582
I'd participate or judge in the battlezones.

Supermutant
Its time that street levelers get some battlezone love.

Blair Wind
I like this idea. Keeping the Battlezone as an archive of the matches but actually having the matches in the Versus section is, IMO, brilliant.

"Id"
My name is Id Taffer, and I am here to tournament rescue this bad boy.

beatboks
Have to admit I'd been on the site for some time before I even realized the battlezone was there and THEN only because Curry placed a thread in the standard forum about his tourney.

As someone who participated in tournaments on many sites ( currently signed up in and battling in about 8 IIRC) I certainly would have been more active in them had I known from the start, and have been very surprised there are so few here.

It's ironic, that I on another forum started a call a while ago to have a separate forum for tournaments etc because I had to go through up to 8 pages in the main battle thread to find all the tourney's I was signed up in. I would suggest instead a single linked thread called "current tourney's" in which there was maintained links to all current tournament battles. If one stickies all the tourney's and you get a few you might end up with a whole front page of stickies.

Badabing
Everybody is welcome to hold tournaments in the CBvF. We can use the BZ forum to archive the tourney threads.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by "Id"
My name is Id Taffer, and I am here to tournament rescue this bad boy.
You deserve a cookie.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/433542/cookie-monster-o.gif

abhilegend
We should sticky a tournament update/news thread in the main forum.

beatboks
Originally posted by abhilegend
We should sticky a tournament update/news thread in the main forum.

This is a pretty damn good idea. Members could post updates to running tourneys, nudges to judges, links to new tourney sign up threads or active ones. The OP could be constantly updated with links of what ever tourney battles are currently underway.

leonidas

Bentley

leonidas
Originally posted by Bentley

I think that inmortal/healing characters could be allowed as long as a clear rule about winning without a kill is established. If ko is a win, who cares about inmortality? If the Inmortal finds a way to avoid ko he should be able to use a outliving strategy legally, since it's a very niche goal to set to begin with.

thumb up

i'm for any rule that allows more character options but does not undermine the fair spirit of these matches. KO is defined by what? 10secs? imo that would be pretty fair.

Existere
I think many of these 'rules' are here to determine a certain power level of character, likely because they were copied from a tournament with a specific power level. The way that the Battlezone forum works now, where the rules apply to matches from Low Street to High Herald, we should leave it up to the tiers to restrict power level, not the rules.

I basically think we should have:

10 relative seconds of prep/briefing (no super speed or time manip used to extend)

Immortality or healing cannot be greater than the reasonable power output of the tier the character is drafted in. If so, the character must be drafted at the next tier up. ie, if Wolverine cannot be KO'd by a reasonable low meta power output, Wolverine has to be drafted at mid meta.

Any attack cannot be reasonably indefensible within the tier it is used. Ie, if Blink teleporting objects within other people is reasonably indefensible within mid meta, she cannot use that tactic, or must be drafted at a higher tier to do so.

Win by KO, Kill or BFR (bfr maybe not, I dunno...)

That's where I'd start anyways. It obviously is missing some stuff, and could be phrased a little more clearly, but that's what it should boil down to.

Another note: it should be clear that rules are for the judges to pay attention to just as much as the competitors. Debaters may make the argument that a tactic is illegal, and may call for a host/judge ruling, but then obviously it's up to the judges to interpret the rules, so they should know that going in.

CadenceV2
Big time fan of Tourneys, as well debater vs debater matches. New to this forum though.

So with that said I love to see a thread of just upcoming tourney threads, or sign up threads with this Battlzone.

Honestly on other sites like the Vine, you post the sign up thread which lays down the rules of said tourney in the same thread. You fill the spots with people telling you or PMing you their teams, and you as the creator make the matches. Voters are most of the time the very people on the battle forum who must vote for better debater rather than who they think personally wins. Not always the case, but get yourself dedicated judges, or shout out to respected users on said forum battle sections.

Anyway I done many tourneys on other forums, and thats how it goes. Does not seem to be the case here? Or am I missing something?

How are the tourneys done here is what I like to know smile

Epicurus
Go to the Battlezone sub-forum, specifically to this thread.

CadenceV2
Originally posted by Epicurus
Go to the Battlezone sub-forum, specifically to this thread.
Thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.